geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

Is there a Youtube downloader for Linux Mint ?

(1/3) > >>

fohat.digs:
I used to like youtube-dl but it has not worked in recent weeks and seems permanently broken.

Firefox is my preferred browser and will remain so.

Leslieann:
"Video DownloadHelper" Firefox plugin
You'll also want the companion vdhcoapp

Gets me pretty much anything I want.

Terrysko:

--- Quote from: fohat.digs on Wed, 03 May 2023, 19:49:34 ---I used to like YouTube-dl but it has not worked in recent weeks and seems permanently broken. Firefox is my preferred browser and will remain so.
--- End quote ---
If you need help, you better ask the right question. Browser plug-ins are usually never permanently compatible and this applies to all browsers without exception! Besides that, what does a necessary plug-in have to do with your distro?! :confused:

The right question is therefore: Is there a recommended YouTube downloader for Linux?
And the answer is yes, of course!

Leslieann:
This plugin has been a top 5 Firefox plugin since before Google released Chrome 1.0, over 15 years. I've probably been using it for that long. Yes,there's been a few hickups as companies work to block it but it's usually fixed within a few days.

Except on Chrome/Youtube...
This will not work on Youtube if you use Chrome as Google blocks it's use at the browser level and this effects open source Chromium as well as Google Chrome.

That said, it WILL slow browser start and page load times especially on FF, I leave it disabled unless I need it and often run it in an alternate browser (Chrome or Librewolf) so as not to lag my main browser (FF).

Terrysko:

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Thu, 04 May 2023, 03:37:02 ---This plug-in has been a top 5 Firefox plug-in since before Google released Chrome 1.0, over 15 years.
--- End quote ---
In principle, it always depends on how well the respective software is maintained. If the author tries to do this at sufficiently short intervals, then users will be fine with it for some time, but this is never guaranteed with plug-ins. Mozilla in particular is known for constant changes in the plug-in interface, which unfortunately necessitates constant adjustments and this is not exactly convenient for the maintainer. :rolleyes:
An external solution is therefore more beneficial in the long run! ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version