Author Topic: Blue Alps Tour!  (Read 49454 times)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: Blue Alps Tour!
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 00:06:32 »
That keyboard is adorable.  I want it :)
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline ebacho

« Reply #101 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 00:19:39 »
That board is fantastic.  Any more info on it? Labels, FCC ID, etc?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #102 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 00:29:12 »
So I overheard this beauty on skype and want to feel the majesty.  Any way I can join at the end?

Ditto.

Is it too late to join this tour?  Hadn't heard of it until now.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #103 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 00:43:43 »
Well, these came with Complicated Blues.  It's more like a QFR-style TK than a TKL though.

Show Image

It seems to be very rare as I can't find any info on it on the net.
Show Image

This picture is from damieng's collection.

What keyboard is this?

Seems like tonight is the night of "Show-CaptainBadAss-Alps-Boards-he-can-never-have" :(

STOP THE TEASING :P

Offline Shayde

« Reply #104 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 02:33:21 »

It's a Focus FK-767 (FSQ4VYFK-767) from 1988.  It came from a bank, so it might have been a teller keyboard.
Collector-of-switches.  Cherry: red, brown, blue, black, grey (linear), green.  Alps: simp./comp. white, comp. blue, Matias.  NMB: white, black.  Futaba: Cherry stem.  Omron: yellow.  Topre: 45g  Various: Apple II+, TRS80 Model 1, C64, Acorn Electron, ZX81 (lol!).

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #105 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 03:14:56 »

It's a Focus FK-767 (FSQ4VYFK-767) from 1988.  It came from a bank, so it might have been a teller keyboard.

According to the pictures in this thread, the FK-767 has Cyan Omron switches. DT Wiki says they should feel like Orange Omrons.  I'm not sure how they feel; don't know what Omrons feel like.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #106 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 03:23:18 »

According to the pictures in this thread, the FK-767 has Cyan Omron switches. DT Wiki says they should feel like Orange Omrons.  I'm not sure how they feel; don't know what Omrons feel like.

One, you should have been asleep hours ago!

Two, omrons are so clicky delicious! What I wouldn't give for them to be more alps compatible for switch transplants.

Offline Shayde

« Reply #107 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 04:11:23 »

Nice find, though the back-slash key is a different colour.  The switches on this one do appear to be Alps though ('scuse the crappy pic):

I have another old board with yellow? Omrons - very stiff and very clicky.
Collector-of-switches.  Cherry: red, brown, blue, black, grey (linear), green.  Alps: simp./comp. white, comp. blue, Matias.  NMB: white, black.  Futaba: Cherry stem.  Omron: yellow.  Topre: 45g  Various: Apple II+, TRS80 Model 1, C64, Acorn Electron, ZX81 (lol!).

Offline nappi11

• #finnsofgeekhack
« Reply #108 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 14:07:07 »
Well, these came with Complicated Blues.  It's more like a QFR-style TK than a TKL though.

Show Image

That model is interesting, since my focus is a FK-747A and it looks like this:
Focus FK-747 A (Complicated Blue Alps) - Compaq RT 235BT (NMB Dome with slider) -  Irish Key Tronic (Rubber dome) - Ducky Mini (Cherry MX Blue) - Dell AT102W (Complicated Black Alps)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #109 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 15:43:52 »
So I overheard this beauty on skype and want to feel the majesty.  Any way I can join at the end?

Ditto.

Is it too late to join this tour?  Hadn't heard of it until now.

Added both of you!
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #110 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 17:17:49 »
Keyboard arrived at my door today.  Looks like a great board.  I cannot wait to try it out!
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 17:33:19 »
I sure am glad I got a baggie full of blue Alps switches before all you guys start trolling ebay!
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 17:49:24 »
Not sure how I missed this until now.  I'd like to get in if possible.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 21:34:39 »
Not sure how I missed this until now.  I'd like to get in if possible.

Added.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Shayde

« Reply #114 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 22:29:06 »

Show Image

That model is interesting, since my focus is a FK-747A and it looks like this:

So it looks like the 767 was just a more compact version of the 747, putting the function keys above the keyboard instead, as I see yours has the same awkward positioning of the ESCape and Caps Lock keys.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #115 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 16:08:41 »
Alright here on my thoughts of the Northgate Omnikey 101 with Blue Alps.  I have taken many clicky and non-clicky Alps for a ride over the past couple years.  With full confidence, I can attest that the Blue Alps on this particular keyboard have provided the most enjoyable Alps experience for me so far.  It was a clickity-smooth ride into magical Alps fantasy land.

First of all, I was very impressed with the quality of the keyboard.  This keyboard had a solid metal bottom, thick and firm legs, and a thick plastic top.  Unlike most keyboards manufacturers, Northgate had durability in mind when they made this keyboard.  The Omnikey also had this cool little door in the upper left corner that gave access to the DIP switches.  I had idea what these DIP switches do, but one of the guides linked in CPTBadAss's review of the keyboard probably could help you out if you are that curious.  http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54201.0

Most Alps switches take more force to actuate than a Cherry Brown or Blue switch, and I have always preferred the Alps switches on the lighter end of the spectrum, such as Orange Alps and the white and blue SMK switches (aka Monterey Blue).  All of the clicky Alps I have tried, including Black Alps, White Alps, and the more recent Matias clicky switch, are noticeably heavy and can get tiring during a long session.  The Blue Alps, on the other hand, can be pushed, poked, prodded, and pounded for a lengthy period without the same fatigue I expect from other clicky Alps sessions.

The click in the Blue Alps also takes on a different feeling than other Alps clicky switches.  Next to me as I type this is the Matias Mini Tactile Pro, along with the few White Alps switches Akimbo left in the Omnikey 101.  This might sound ridiculous, but the Blue Alps click seems to resonate more and produce a higher pitch than the other clicky switches.  The click in most Alps switches sounds subdued to me compared to Cherry Blue and buckling spring, but these Blue Alps let their click be known.  I love it.

If I could compared the Blue Alps to any other switch, it would be the Monterey Blue.  Both are light, clicky, and pleasantly tactile compared to other Alps-mount switches.  In the end, I give the Blue Alps the edge because they have a sturdier feeling than the Monterey Blue, which is my only complaint about that particular switch.  Blue Alps are in a class of their own.

Overall, I feel like I can glide over the keys while typing with this keyboard, which in a rare feeling for me, but the desired feeling.  When I push its buttons, the keyboard pushes mine back.  And boy, does it feel good.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 16:39:56 »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I've not heard a single bad word about these switches yet, and every review makes me more and more excited to try them out  :thumb:

Offline SonicRevolution

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Qwerkywriter
« Reply #117 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 17:28:00 »
wow this is amazing.  I didn't realize the community did such a thing.  I'm building something of my own (which I hope to share soooooon!) Perhaps I will have the community try out my board and get their feedback.

In the meanwhile, this is pretty neat!  cool guys!
SonicRevolution
www.qwerkywriter.com
@qwerkywriter on Twitter

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #118 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 17:35:32 »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I've not heard a single bad word about these switches yet, and every review makes me more and more excited to try them out  :thumb:

I do have one bad word.  I like buckling springs more.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #119 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 17:45:59 »

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #120 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 18:20:20 »

Show Image

Just capacitive.  The jury is still out on membrane buckling springs.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 18:33:42 »

I just did a successful bolt-mod on a 1390131 that is about as good as it gets with a Model M.

It was interesting and different, and I certainly appreciate that the Model M is "the one true keyboard" that brings together all the elements that make the modern keyboard what we know it as today.

But the Model F is still a very large cut above as far as awesomeness and feel are concerned.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #122 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 18:34:44 »

I just did a successful bolt-mod on a 1390131 that is about as good as it gets with a Model M.

It was interesting and different, and I certainly appreciate that the Model M is "the one true keyboard" that brings together all the elements that make the modern keyboard what we know it as today.

But the Model F is still a very large cut above as far as awesomeness and feel are concerned.

There seems to be consensus about this. I won't be hesitating the next time I have the money and an AT is available…

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #123 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 18:44:02 »

There seems to be consensus about this. I won't be hesitating the next time I have the money and an AT is available…

I know we are getting a bit off topic with this thread, but even among the Model F, the feel is different between the various models.  You have to try a few of them to really understand.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #124 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 19:43:08 »
I know we are getting a bit off topic with this thread, but even among the Model F, the feel is different between the various models.  You have to try a few of them to really understand.

Off topic is good. Please continue throwing people off the trail of Blue Alps so I can get a keyboard for cheap XD.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #125 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 21:48:56 »

Off topic is good. Please continue throwing people off the trail of Blue Alps so I can get a keyboard for cheap XD.

Did I mention Blue Alps is garbage.  Don't get it.  Stick to Alps clones.  They are the best.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #126 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 22:18:14 »
[size=78%]Did I mention Blue Alps is garbage.  Don't get it.  Stick to Alps clones.  They are the best.[/size]

I still haven't tried Matias.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #127 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 22:30:29 »
How dare everyone defile my ALPs thread with buckling spring heathenry!

/sarcasm
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 15:07:24 »
Can anyone speak to the differences between blue alps types?

I know this thread is about a board with complicated blue alps... I saw a board for sale on mechmarket with monterey blue alps. On the DT wiki all I see is a single page about blue alps.
CM Storm Quickfire XT - MX Reds

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #129 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 15:15:01 »
monterey blue alps. On the DT wiki all I see is a single page about blue alps.

Monterey Blue Alps
Blue Alps

We're just using colloquial names for the switches.

Can anyone speak to the differences between Monterey blue and blue alps types?

SMK Monterey Blue Alps aren't as smooth and are much lighter. They also don't have the same bump that the SKCM Complicated Blue Alps have.

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 15:39:42 »
Ah, I see! Thank you much kind sir! ^_^

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #131 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 15:42:01 »

No worries :D. FWIW, I liked both switches a lot. I have a Siig Minitouch with Monterey Blues and I really like it. And I also loved Blue Alps switches. I posted a review a little earlier in this thread if you wanted to get more of my thoughts on Complicated Blue Alps.

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #132 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 15:45:17 »

No worries :D. FWIW, I liked both switches a lot. I have a Siig Minitouch with Monterey Blues and I really like it. And I also loved Blue Alps switches. I posted a review a little earlier in this thread if you wanted to get more of my thoughts on Complicated Blue Alps.

Oh yeah the whole reason I'm looking into the blue alps is because of your glowing review of the complicated version. They sound pretty sweet!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #133 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 17:02:23 »
I got this today and I'm so in love with complicated blues and whites in a sturdy board like this that I'm getting a duck mini and a fk-2001 with complicated whites like yesterday.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 17:05:30 »
Please Matias, please come through with your 60% board so I'm not forced to do battle with tjcaustin and snipe a Mini V2 from him.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 February 2014, 17:08:11 by CPTBadAss »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #135 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 17:21:13 »
Please Matias, please come through with your 60% board so I'm not forced to do battle with tjcaustin and snipe a Mini V2 from him.

Too bad I just bought one, sukka.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #136 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 17:22:08 »
***** I know where you live. We can still do battle. :P

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #137 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 17:23:46 »

Man, these headphones sure don't fit well in my ear, I guess I'll take a hammer to them.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #138 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 17:27:46 »

Man, these headphones sure don't fit well in my ear, I guess I'll take a hammer to them.

hahaha

Let me know if you find any Blue Alps stuff?

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #139 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 08:14:17 »
Is this tour still open? I'm an alps virgin and would absolutely love to try out some blue alps goodness! I live in MA.
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 05 March 2014, 07:44:37 »
Currently typing on this magnificent beast. This thing is truly unapologetic about its clickiness, similar in that regard to buckling springs. I'm very excited to spend more time with this keyboard and switch :).

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #141 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 17:19:07 »
Time to crow about a project that has been simmering in my mind for 2 years, and is finally complete.

Although I was not a part of this tour, I have built pretty much the same keyboard, with help and advice from Akimbo along the way.

For me, the hardest part was getting the switches, and it took about a year and a half of ebay-ing before I got my hands on some, initially thanks to Akimbo (you can never thank this great guy enough).

Then I had to procure a recipient for my donor. First I put some into a Dell AT101, a very well-built, straight-ANSI board that I have used and loved, off and on, for many years. But although it felt great, it just did not ring my bell on every level (cough* aesthetics *cough).

Eventually, I found a Northgate Omnikey 101 and that did the trick. This magnificent keyboard is constructed on a par with my beloved IBM Model Fs, which cannot be said for any other conventional keyboard, in my experience.

So I cleaned it up thoroughly, sanded away the rust spots, painted the steel plate green (my trademark, since my name is Moss what else can I do?), transplanted the blue Alps (and used the less desirable whites for a dozen of my rarely-used keys to conserve "the good stuff"), lubed them very lightly with Krytox, and put it all back together.

This magnificent keyboard is everything I wanted it to be. It cost 2 years of waiting, nearly $300 in parts (I bought several second-tier pieces), and several hours at the work bench.

Sweet. Just sweet!

PS - Bob Tibbetts is wrong, there is a difference between blue and white, although it is subtle. However, if you don't want to break out the soldering iron, get a Northgate with white Alps and lube them, that is doggone close for a lot less time and money.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #142 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 12:55:00 »
Time to crow about a project that has been simmering in my mind for 2 years, and is finally complete.

Although I was not a part of this tour, I have built pretty much the same keyboard, with help and advice from Akimbo along the way.

For me, the hardest part was getting the switches, and it took about a year and a half of ebay-ing before I got my hands on some, initially thanks to Akimbo (you can never thank this great guy enough).

Then I had to procure a recipient for my donor. First I put some into a Dell AT101, a very well-built, straight-ANSI board that I have used and loved, off and on, for many years. But although it felt great, it just did not ring my bell on every level (cough* aesthetics *cough).

Eventually, I found a Northgate Omnikey 101 and that did the trick. This magnificent keyboard is constructed on a par with my beloved IBM Model Fs, which cannot be said for any other conventional keyboard, in my experience.

So I cleaned it up thoroughly, sanded away the rust spots, painted the steel plate green (my trademark, since my name is Moss what else can I do?), transplanted the blue Alps (and used the less desirable whites for a dozen of my rarely-used keys to conserve "the good stuff"), lubed them very lightly with Krytox, and put it all back together.

This magnificent keyboard is everything I wanted it to be. It cost 2 years of waiting, nearly $300 in parts (I bought several second-tier pieces), and several hours at the work bench.

Sweet. Just sweet!

PS - Bob Tibbetts is wrong, there is a difference between blue and white, although it is subtle. However, if you don't want to break out the soldering iron, get a Northgate with white Alps and lube them, that is doggone close for a lot less time and money.

Your modded board looks super clean fohat...good job!  Now that you've had a while to type on the Omnikey, what's your impressions on switch (capacitive BS versus blue ALPs) and chasis (IBM F vs. early model M vs Omnikey) differences?
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #143 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 17:57:57 »

what's your impressions on switch (capacitive BS versus blue ALPs) and chasis (IBM F vs. early model M vs Omnikey) differences?

Of course these existential questions are of the type: Which is a better vehicle, a sports car or a pickup truck?

First, to be very picky and technical, let me reiterate that I do not believe that it is possible to hear or feel any difference between the "switch types" of IBM buckling springs - the activation of the electrical impulse happens underneath the "catastrophic" buckling of a spring which obliterates all other sounds and feelings - and that all of the perceived differences of between Model M and Model F are in the "chassis" which I would define as the entire frame system (including various internal plates as well as the outer case itself). I do, of course, believe that the capacitive switching system of the Model F is vastly superior in terms of durability, etc, but I don't think that humans can feel it.

That said, thousands of words have been expended here on M vs F so I won't beat that dead horse any further than to say that the multiple metal plates (2 of them in an interesting tension/compression relationship) in the Model F make it resonate ("sing") with a quality that I can only call "life" while the plastic barrel plate of the Model M makes any resonance it produces dull and lifeless in comparison. So, while the floss mod quiets (ie reduces the higher resonances and "ping") the buckling springs without "deadening" them, the M had little "life" to lose in the first place.

The Omnikey, like the Model F XT and F-122, has a metal case back. This case back is at least as thick as the Model F, and has a magnificent beige paint job that is probably very thick and baked on. This solid heavy back contributes to a very solid feel and sound. The case upper is very well made, but they do tend to yellow if you are unlucky. I do not care for the removable (and do not be tricked into imagining that a common male-male PS/2 cable can replace it) AT-type cable. I am going to fabricate some other cable options but that is for later. Suffice to say that the Northgate case, second only to old IBM cases, is the best I have ever had. But, I still drool over aluminum cases!

So, about those blue Alps switches. Naturally, there is a desire to compare them to all the other "clicky" switch types. In general, Alps activate high up, so that you have to give them a sharp snap at the top to get them moving, but then they seem to "fall away" afterwards. I consider this to be ideal for typing, since there is ample time to get off the key and bottoming out is rarely an issue. This, I believe, is why Alps are the best switches for typing, by far. And I like the clicky ones best, of course, but the orange ones are good.

What are the differences between blue Alps and white Alps, since there seems to be at least one set of specs that say they are the same?

Honestly, I think that the only substantial difference is weight (aka force) but the lighter blues seem somehow "crisper" because of their lighter touch. My experience with old-style complicated white Alps (on at least 3 different models and manufacturers of keyboards) is that whites are a relatively heavy switch, but that blues are considerably lighter. Other people have other opinions.

I gave these a quick light brush with Krytox, which is probably a good idea for almost any switch.

All in all, the upgrade to blue Alps is subtle but real, and valuable. However, for someone lacking in soldering skills, time, money, or motivation, buying an Omnikey 101 with white Alps and cleaning and lubing them is probably an excellent plan.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #144 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 00:42:37 »
How is the shine on the omnikey caps? I was able to type on one for a bit, once, and that killed it for me. I just can't seem to stand the slipperyness. Once matias gets done with other caps design and manufacture, perhaps that can be fixed. How do you lube alps? People seem to do it in plenty of ways.

I kind of want to use the oranges in my M0116 as is once I'm done with it for a bit, but I'm also considering simply stealing a bunch of click leaves from a white alps I never use and creating an abomination identical to blues in every way (unless the click leaf design had changed as well).
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #145 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 02:49:51 »
I'm also considering simply stealing a bunch of click leaves from a white alps I never use and creating an abomination identical to blues in every way (unless the click leaf design had changed as well).
I need to inspect the click leaves of blue & white switches more closely, but note that the switch plate is definitely different between blue and white Alps, and there are some suggestions online that the blue switches had some dry lubricant added as well?

You can definitely use the orange Alps spring with the white switch (or the white click leaf with the orange switch – you get the same result either way, with a different slider color).

Personally I’m a big fan of: take the housing, slider, spring, and switch plate from dampened tactile cream Alps switch, and cut a few loops off the spring; add the click leaf from a white Alps switch, possibly bending the click leaf very slightly for a bit more click; add some lubricant to the metal bits that contact the slider, and maybe to the areas of contact between housing and slider.

The result has a weight comparable to blue Alps, but with an even nicer click (due to the slight bending), and otherwise no sound when the slider hits the bottom/top of the housing.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #146 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 08:49:59 »
How is the shine on the omnikey caps?

I have 2 of these. The one in the photo is great, the keys are in excellent condition.

The other one has very shiny keys. I will probably fix it up, lube the whites, and sell it. I have a few Alps-compatible sets of keys, but they will not be a perfect match and will lack various longer keys. I have not tried a set from an old Apple, but that might work pretty well.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #147 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 12:25:54 »
I have a few Alps-compatible sets of keys, but they will not be a perfect match and will lack various longer keys. I have not tried a set from an old Apple, but that might work pretty well.
Keycaps from an Extended Keyboard or Extended Keyboard II will work, except that the function row are all rotated 90°.

If you get one of the Alps-made versions of the Apple Design Keyboard, the caps should work. The keyboard is rubber domes, but the caps are nice thick dye-subbed PBT, cf. http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8/apple-design-keyboard-made-by-alps-and-others-t7400.html

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #148 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 13:47:38 »
If you get one of the Alps-made versions of the Apple Design Keyboard, the caps should work.

My experience is that the ones with detachable cables are Alps-compatible, and the ones with fixed cables are not.

And yes, those are good keys. I was hoping that things like Shift and Enter were going to work.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #149 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 14:15:23 »
If you get one of the Alps-made versions of the Apple Design Keyboard, the caps should work.
My experience is that the ones with detachable cables are Alps-compatible, and the ones with fixed cables are not.
All of the Apple Design Keyboards, M2980, have fixed cables as far as I know. The Alps ones can be distinguished by the shape of the case bottom as that Deskthority page explains, or by looking for ones made in the Czech Republic, the US, or Mexico. (The ones made in China or Thailand are various non-Alps rubber domes.)

The only part you’d have trouble with is the numpad; the Apple layout has 2 1x1 keys where a typical IBM layout puts the 2-unit-tall + key.