Author Topic: [IC] EPTKL - TKL w/ Slider, Rotary encoder and more.  (Read 19015 times)

Offline e11i0t23

[IC] EPTKL - TKL w/ Slider, Rotary encoder and more.
« on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 18:48:30 »
UPDATE:1/06/2019 This project is currently on hold until I am happy with the quality and software implementations I can achieve for the design

Hi All, I’m Elliot. Over the past 5 months I have been working on this project alongside Rud who helped with the case design.Like my other projects, the EPTKL started as a passion project for myself, and over time it gained interest from others in the community leading me to write this Interest Check.

216110-0

216112-1

Link to IC Form: https://forms.gle/vyvmsXAArY4xEJVV8

So straight up you’ve probably noticed two big features on this board so I will elaborate on those first.
  • Slider - This feature inspired by the SlideBar and keebwerks nano bento. It acts as a midi device meaning it can control anything from volume to modulation to photoshop.
  • Rotary Encoder -  This rotates and does what you want, Options include: Controlling Volume, Controlling Brightness, Scrolling and much more. It also acts a key when pressed down this can be programmed like any other key in QMK
[/list]

Other Features:
  • PerKeyRGB - This features self explanatory, each key has a pre installed RGB LED that you can control and set to whatever colour you want.
  • USB-C - Its 2019 who doesn’t like not worrying about which way you have to put your cable in
  • ARM Processor
  • HotSwap PCB - It allows you to easily change out what switches you are using without going through having to desolder and resolder switches. - There may also be an option for a non HotSwap version as an optional extra for those who prefer to solder switches.
  • Integrated Plate - This goes hand in hand with HotSwap, It helps to keep spacing between the switches and pcb to spec.

There are 2 Layouts Being offered:
  • ISO
  • ANSI
Due to the features these two fixed layouts are set and there is no plan to change these.

Case Material:
  • Aluminium 6061
  • There is also a possibility of a Polycarbonate version

Other Case Features:
  • 7 degrees angle
  • 4.5mm Integrated Plate
  • 2 piece

Pricing:
  • For the aluminium Case version the price will be around 360$-380$ but I am currently working to bring this down.
  • For the PC version I am still waiting for quotes from my manufacturer.

Link to IC Form:  https://forms.gle/vyvmsXAArY4xEJVV8

216116-2

216118-3

Pictures with GMK Blue on Black will be posted in the next few days.

I would love to be saying that I was currently typing this on the prototype. However due to an issue with the manufacturers tolerances and quality issues for the case unfortunately it is unusable. Therefore I am currently in the process of finding a new manufacturer as any quality issues are unacceptable to me. After a new manufacturer is found the prototype will be remanufactured as a test before the Group Buy manufacturing takes place.

Time frame:
  • Now to Late April feedback from IC and Prototype enacted on. New manufacturer found and prototype re-manufactured
  • Late April/ Early May GB should Launch
  • GB will run for approximately two weeks
  • Manufacturing Will begin and take roughly 4-8 weeks
  • Shipping from manu ~14 days
  • Shipping out to you ~14 days

EDIT - 27/04/2019 Unfortunately due to personal circumstances I will be unable to carry on work on this project until early June, I will Update as I have a better idea of the new timeline as well as with some updates to the design that are planned once implemented to enact on feedback given through both comments and the questionnaire.  END OF EDIT

Finally before I conclude this Project couldn’t of come this far without some help from others:
  • First of all Rud. Without him this project would not be where it is today. He has helped enormously from helping design the case to making all the renders for this post and now helping me along finding a new manufacturer who we can trust will do the job to the high standards we all expect.
  • Yiancar and Upas for there help with ARM both programming and designing around it
  • Peiros and Striker for introducing me to the f072 line of chips.
  • #kbdesign - To many people reside here to name but they have been of great help
  • Jae for helping with the this Interest Check
  • Satanarchrist - Another person who has been essential to bounce ideas of as well as supporting us until this point with this with the interest check, sort out manufacturing details and offering to send over a GMK set for testing.

Thank you for Reading and please ask any questions and give any suggestions below

Elliot

Extra Images:
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 May 2019, 20:19:09 by e11i0t23 »

Offline e11i0t23

Re: [IC] EPTKL - TKL w/ Slider, Rotary encoder and more.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 18:49:07 »
FAQ

Will this fit SA keycaps? We tested on the 3d Model and SA caps should fit however i have not tested yet on the prototype but that is on the todolist. I will ensure they do for the final version though.

Can the knobs be [colour] colour. The colours have not yet been chosen and have now been added to the IC form
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 March 2019, 20:21:23 by e11i0t23 »

Offline Starston3

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 19:05:04 »
Very interesting concept. personally as someone that does mixing and some video editing I believe that the fader/slider and knob would be best placed on the right rather than on the left for the sole purpose of how keyboard shortcuts are triggered.

Offline e11i0t23

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 19:10:21 »
Very interesting concept. personally as someone that does mixing and some video editing I believe that the fader/slider and knob would be best placed on the right rather than on the left for the sole purpose of how keyboard shortcuts are triggered.

Thank you for the feedback. The reason I had chosen the left in this situation was firstly down to aesthetics as well as not wanting to widen the amount of columns on the right because i find the spacing from arrows to mouse to be around perfect for me therefore didn't want to add it to the right and affect this.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 19:15:48 »
Yep. Yeppers. Uh huh. Yeah. Yee-haw.

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 19:20:53 »
Does this mean rotary encoders and sliders are going to be a thing now? Pretty neat.

Offline Starston3

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 19:25:38 »

Thank you for the feedback. The reason I had chosen the left in this situation was firstly down to aesthetics as well as not wanting to widen the amount of columns on the right because i find the spacing from arrows to mouse to be around perfect for me therefore didn't want to add it to the right and affect this.

Fair enough. GLWIC

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 20:20:28 »
i dont know about this one chief

Offline Jkshowman

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 22:46:45 »
said this in the Reddit thread, but any chances that there might be a mechanical slider? or at least MIDI support for both, knob and slider? through QMK?

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 23:24:34 »
Have you considered a 0.25u gap between then numbers and F row? The 0.5u (?) gap you have now looks a little ungainly.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline e11i0t23

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 02:41:18 »
said this in the Reddit thread, but any chances that there might be a mechanical slider? or at least MIDI support for both, knob and slider? through QMK?

I had not originally really thought about using a mechanical slider but will look into it.

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 06:14:55 »
Nice volume switch.
I’m in.

Offline mrboli

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 09:59:01 »
Volume & Midi knob. Very cool!

Can you use the knob to scroll?
Wouldn't be the best thing to scroll, right?

If there was something cooler for scrolling this would be super bomb.
Already loving the volume aspect of it tho
KBD67 Zealios V2 65g | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco TKL MX Black | Razer BlackWidow

Offline appaboy

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 10:03:54 »
Neat concept. Hotswap and integrated plate makes me uninterested but this concept is very cool. Wish you luck
PC Singa, MIR80, TX84se, g80-3314, g80-0427, g80-5000 + 5700, G80-3700, g81-3000 HBU (og wob)

HASRO keycaps
OG POM keycaps
SAI OG Italian dyesubs
Scarface Fn blank

Offline e11i0t23

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 11:40:08 »
Volume & Midi knob. Very cool!

Can you use the knob to scroll?
Wouldn't be the best thing to scroll, right?

If there was something cooler for scrolling this would be super bomb.
Already loving the volume aspect of it tho

It uses qmk so yes the encoder can be set to scrolling

Offline TuCZnak

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 11:39:29 »
Looks cool! But how about adjusting the bezels a little bit? It looks odd to have so much "empty" space on the left and virtually nothing on the right to counter it.

Offline e11i0t23

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 11:45:17 »
Have you considered a 0.25u gap between then numbers and F row? The 0.5u (?) gap you have now looks a little ungainly.

Hi, We are currently looking at fixing the gaps

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 13:02:12 »

I had not originally really thought about using a mechanical slider but will look into it.
Pardon my ignorance, but what makes a slider mechanical or not?
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline e11i0t23

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 14:05:38 »

Pardon my ignorance, but what makes a slider mechanical or not?

There sliders that also have a motor which means it can automatically move to another location for example if you change from controlling brightness to volume it will move to be in position for the currently set value

Offline Highrup

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 00:17:52 »
posted on reddit about building a keyboard, specifically asking for almost every single feature this board will have. someone gave me a link to this and im a little amazed because this is literally what i envisioned building. i fully support all the features you have! rgb, swapable keys, usb c, aluminum body, all i need is the ability to have it black along with the knob and sliders, and ill be backing this up 100%, the work you guys have put into this is really great, it looks great, the functionality is there, and it was very well designed. stoked to see the groupbuy! i know you mentioned the slider can be used with photoshop, does that also work with the knob and will i be able to use the turning to alter functions in apps?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 00:52:09 »
how far will we go for this meme
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline e11i0t23

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 01:58:43 »
posted on reddit about building a keyboard, specifically asking for almost every single feature this board will have. someone gave me a link to this and im a little amazed because this is literally what i envisioned building. i fully support all the features you have! rgb, swapable keys, usb c, aluminum body, all i need is the ability to have it black along with the knob and sliders, and ill be backing this up 100%, the work you guys have put into this is really great, it looks great, the functionality is there, and it was very well designed. stoked to see the groupbuy! i know you mentioned the slider can be used with photoshop, does that also work with the knob and will i be able to use the turning to alter functions in apps?
Yew the knob this can also work with

Offline Highrup

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 11:58:39 »
Yew the knob this can also work with

oh yeah, im in.

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 10 August 2019, 19:42:22 »
Any updates on this?  You said you'd have one around June.  Hope all is going well.

Fog

Offline EvaoftheIvy

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 22:22:00 »
Looks great hope updates eventually come :)