Author Topic: finally memorized nato phonetic alphabet  (Read 12903 times)

Offline wellington1869

finally memorized nato phonetic alphabet
« on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 22:57:14 »
here's to small accomplishments. I've finally memorized the nato phonetic alphabet.

Its kind of fun to go around using them at every opportunity. Need to spell your name to the credit card guy on the phone?  Whiskey, Echo, Lima, Lima, Yankee. Oh, they're impressed alright.  Same when calling in Dell serial tag numbers. ;-D

Its funny that in this day of instant mass communication, these codes are more useful than ever. Why? Because cell phone voice quality sucks that badly. Got sick and tired of going 'what?' 'what?' all the time. But the final impetus to memorize it came from a project I just did with a colleague where we had to read off codes to each other. Within a few hours of using it non-stop I had it totally memorized. Yay :)

« Last Edit: Tue, 13 April 2010, 23:02:07 by wellington1869 »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 14 April 2010, 03:47:56 »
Indeed, it is useful. Some of the official pronunciations are a bit odd though. Four = "Fow-er" ? Was it written by Texans?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 April 2010, 04:11:07 »
Maybe it's to make it distinct from the word "for" or something

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 April 2010, 06:55:24 »
Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot.  It's time to get a girlfriend.

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 April 2010, 07:08:37 »
What's Nato? ;-)
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 April 2010, 07:13:05 »
Quote from: itlnstln;172045
Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot.  It's time to get a girlfriend.

It's an improvement over fapping over rubber dome keyboards because of their warranty...

Offline Shawn Stanford

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 14 April 2010, 07:17:30 »
Let me know when you want to learn to call artillery...
The Brat Prince of COBOL

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 14 April 2010, 10:03:52 »
I always thought it was interesting that on Star Trek they use a slightly different version of the phonetic alphabet, a kind of culture-neutral version. A lot of it is the same, but for instance, "Gamma" instead of "Golf".  You hear these most often when Picard is authorizing the auto-destruct of the Enterprise, lol.  "Picard authorization blah blah Gamma blah".

Oh yea, I need a girlfriend. :)

Quote from: Shawn Stanford;172054
Let me know when you want to learn to call artillery...

like, right now. :)

I also want to start my own lodge just so I can say "Do we have a second?" and "I concur" a lot.  Oh, and a secret handshake.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 April 2010, 10:06:16 by wellington1869 »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 15 April 2010, 08:20:41 »
So... with that out of the way, any plans for a ham radio license? ;)
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 15 April 2010, 08:24:58 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;172394

Strong.  Talking over HAM is lame, real "porkers" use Morse Code for some real diddy-boppin' fun.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 15 April 2010, 08:51:03 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;172394

i suppose thats the next logical step ;)

i dont know about europe, btw, but the last time I listened to ham radio in the US it was wall to wall apocolyptic christian announcements ;) A lot of the fringe is on there. Makes for entertaining listening actually.

Maybe I can get on there urging people to upgrade their keyboard because 'the time is nigh'.

Oh wait, i'm probably thinking of shortwave.  The last time I was on ham radio I got into an argument with a trucker who invited me to meet him behind the shoprite for a rumble.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 April 2010, 08:53:22 by wellington1869 »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 15 April 2010, 09:03:45 »
Quote from: wellington1869;172401
The last time I was on ham radio I got into an argument with a trucker who invited me to meet him behind the shoprite for a rumble.

Why does this not surprise me, Welly?

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 15 April 2010, 09:48:08 »
Oh wait, i'm probably thinking of shortwave.

Broadcasting, yep. Seems you folks have a more-than-fair share of wacky religious broadcasters over there, most of which thankfully fail to make it over the pond.

(IIRC though, there seem to be some entertaining ham radio nets on the short waves as well. I take it you don't happen to own a receiver with SSB capability?)
The last time I was on ham radio I got into an argument with a trucker who invited me to meet him behind the shoprite for a rumble.

Sounds more like CB. I'd guess it's been a while, too...
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 15 April 2010, 15:14:27 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;172420
Broadcasting, yep. Seems you folks have a more-than-fair share of wacky religious broadcasters over there, most of which thankfully fail to make it over the pond.

yea you guys are lucky in that regard. Hope our infection doesnt spread.

(IIRC though, there seem to be some entertaining ham radio nets on the short waves as well. I take it you don't happen to own a receiver with SSB capability?)

no, tho i had a friend who dabbled in some kind of shortwave setup in his house, and yea I remember it as being entertaining :)

Sounds more like CB. I'd guess it's been a while, too...

yea that was CB. Waaay back in high school. Those were the days. Some high school friend had a pickup truck with his dad's cb on it, and for an evening we drove our town going "This is luke duke, come on back!" into the CB. :)  

Quote from: itlnstln;172402
Why does this not surprise me, Welly?

:) Hey we also made some trucker friends by warning them that "they're taking pictures at exit 19!"

CB radio -- the instant messaging of the analog world.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 April 2010, 15:22:30 by wellington1869 »

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 15:16:16 »
Quote from: wellington1869;172095

I also want to start my own lodge just so I can say "Do we have a second?" and "I concur" a lot.  Oh, and a secret handshake.

I never particularly liked freemasons. A bunch of lunatics worshipping a giant eyeball.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 15:32:20 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;172769
I never particularly liked freemasons. A bunch of lunatics worshipping a giant eyeball.

lol, as opposed to lunatics worshipping something else?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 15:36:28 »
Jesus?

Boy, I miss that wonderful religion thread we had many moons ago...

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 15:37:39 »
Ah, yes.  I was in a ****-starting mood back then.  I wonder what happened to tim4mail.  Well, maybe not.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 15:38:52 »
Afaik, his posting frequency decreased dramatically after I trolled him into saying that all Hindus will go to hell.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 15:41:38 »
Yeah, he had a world view about as narrow as a sheet of bible paper.  He must've been a treat to know in person.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 15:49:32 »
a surprising number of computer folks are religion freaks. I'm always surprised to see that, since i associate computer folks with science and rationalism and skepticism (or at least the attempt at it). life keeps proving me wrong on that.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 16:02:16 »
Logic doesn't always give us the answers we want or need. So I guess religion will be around as long as mankind is.

Being an atheist - I mean *really* being an atheist, thinking it through and accepting the consequences of your (dis)belief - is hard. Not everyone is up to it, even if they are rational types.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 16:23:30 »
The odd thing about Atheism is that it does require faith to a certain extent. People say "I was raised in a society that subscribed to religion faith and I reject it, therefore I'm an atheist", but there's more to it than that. If you reject the idea of the tradition theistic God, and you go back to the very start of the universe, what we know about the foundation of the unverse means that any of the three are possible -

A) Some sort of deistic entity made the universe and fecked off afterwards.
B) Some entity created the universe that wasn't necessarily any sort of God, but whose purpose was so beyond our comprehension that it might as well have been.
C) The universe was a purely natural occurrence that was the result of chance.

It's very difficult to say objectively one way or another that any of the above is right or wrong. I personally believe on the balance of probability that there's some sort of as-of-yet unknown scientific explanation, but hey, I could be wrong.

I must admit that my primary motivation for identifying with atheism is because religion is something I find utterly repulsive.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 16:30:59 »
Quote from: ch_123;172798
The odd thing about Atheism is that it does require faith to a certain extent.

i'd agree with that. thats why i fancy myself an agnostic. But most people dont get agnosticism, so sometimes i just say atheist. But technically i'm a true agnostic. I'm genuinely indifferent about whether god 'exists' and dont believe it falls within the realm of provability or disprovability, technically speaking. So i cant get too worked up about it.

I must admit that my primary motivation for identifying with atheism is because religion is something I find utterly repulsive.

agreed, tho the more i learned about communist history (or the french revolution), the more repulsed i was by the work of those 'atheists' too, every bit as brutal, extreme, childish, and violent, as anything we've seen in religion.  Not saying they're the same; saying both extremes blow. Hence my agnosticism i guess.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 April 2010, 16:35:25 by wellington1869 »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 16:34:30 »
As agnosticism in it's truest sense is an indifference to the existence of God, it's not really something that you consciously chose to be, in fact, when someone tries to argue the validity of their agnostic position, they become un-agnostic in a sense.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 16:39:34 »
Quote from: ch_123;172803
As agnosticism in it's truest sense is an indifference to the existence of God, it's not really something that you consciously chose to be, in fact, when someone tries to argue the validity of their agnostic position, they become un-agnostic in a sense.

i dont think thats true. agnosticism is a positive position, its not the absence of a position. the agnostic is delineating between what is verifiable and what is not. Thats a huge topic in the enlightenment, especially in the development of modern science and the philosophy of science.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 April 2010, 16:54:18 by wellington1869 »

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 16:47:22 »
So then what's the neutral state, where you don't believe anything one way or the other?

"Do you believe there is a creator or God of any kind?" No.

"Do you believe there is not a creator or God of any kind?" No.

You have to believe it in order to assign these labels, because someone who is truly neutral is neither an atheist or agnostic...both terms presuppose that there is something to believe in to begin with, and you're either believing or not believing.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 16:53:47 »
There's a term for this, sort of like a scientific equivalent of cultural relativism. The problem with proof is that the existence of something exists independently of people's ability to find proof of it's existence. Similarly, there's plenty of times where scientists had completely wrong interpretations of the universe based on spurious information available to them at the time.

I think though that you can read into this sort of stuff too much. For example, our current model of physics is quite flawed in that it has too completely separate sets of rules for things that occur on a quantum level, and... everything else, and has nothing to reconcile them. It's likely, even within our lifetimes that a completely profound discovery will render everything currently known about science to be completely wrong. But I very much believe that it's better to be wrong for the right reason than right for the wrong one... So we teach stuff like this which will be laughed at sooner or later because it's the best we have now given the information. If we got too caught up in objectivity and saying "ah, but we can never be sure if this is really right or not", we'd never advance because things like science are largely based on people making completely wrong assumptions that get progressively less wrong as time goes on because we learn from our mistakes.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 16:59:26 »
Quote from: kishy;172811
So then what's the neutral state, where you don't believe anything one way or the other?

"Do you believe there is a creator or God of any kind?" No.

"Do you believe there is not a creator or God of any kind?" No.

You have to believe it in order to assign these labels, because someone who is truly neutral is neither an atheist or agnostic...both terms presuppose that there is something to believe in to begin with, and you're either believing or not believing.

the key word here is 'believing'.
The following are two very different questions:

1) do you believe in ghosts?

2) do you believe its possible to prove or disprove the existence of ghosts?

A believer or a non-believer ask question #1.
The agnostic asks question #2.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 17:00:48 »
Quote from: ch_123;172813
There's a term for this, sort of like a scientific equivalent of cultural relativism. The problem with proof is that the existence of something exists independently of people's ability to find proof of it's existence. Similarly, there's plenty of times where scientists had completely wrong interpretations of the universe based on spurious information available to them at the time.

I think though that you can read into this sort of stuff too much. For example, our current model of physics is quite flawed in that it has too completely separate sets of rules for things that occur on a quantum level, and... everything else, and has nothing to reconcile them. It's likely, even within our lifetimes that a completely profound discovery will render everything currently known about science to be completely wrong. But I very much believe that it's better to be wrong for the right reason than right for the wrong one... So we teach stuff like this which will be laughed at sooner or later because it's the best we have now given the information. If we got too caught up in objectivity and saying "ah, but we can never be sure if this is really right or not", we'd never advance because things like science are largely based on people making completely wrong assumptions that get progressively less wrong as time goes on because we learn from our mistakes.

its not cultural relativism to recognize that some things are not verifiable and that some things are verifiable.

In fact, its the basis of good science, to recognize the difference between what is verifiable and what is not.

Its ALSO the basis of the separation of church and state (ask kant and locke).

Its also the basis of the private sphere of personal rights and the public sphere of social responsibility. Its the basis of our whole legal system and our system of inalienable human rights.

It also gaurantees freedom of private religious conscience and freedom from religious persecution, just as it gaurantees that no one person's religious beliefs can take over public policy (ie, gaurantees the secular nature of the state). Best of both worlds. Private religion, in a secular state. With both gauranteed to be protected.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 April 2010, 00:46:02 by wellington1869 »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 17:03:22 »
Who says it's not verifiable? If you went back 100-200 years ago and said that you could plot the course of the entire history of the universe from a split second after it's creation, would they believe you?

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 17:11:41 »
Quote from: ch_123;172820
Who says it's not verifiable? If you went back 100-200 years ago and said that you could plot the course of the entire history of the universe from a split second after it's creation, would they believe you?

who said the big bang wasnt verifiable? or evolution? I think both of those are fully scientific theories. Deduction and induction are the basis of scientific theory. Nothing wrong with that and thats not 'belief'. Its based on scepticism, reproducible experiment, verifiable and reproducible laws of cause and effect, and constant refining and correction, in a process that never ends (the scientific method).

I'm talking about ghosts and god. No, those arent verifable - but they're also not disproveable in a scientific way. You cant disprove a negative.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 April 2010, 17:16:00 by wellington1869 »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 17:14:32 »
You're missing my point. 100-200 years ago, something like the big bang would have been thought unverifiable due to the limitations of scientific knowledge at the time. How do we really know that the existence of God is unverifiable?

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 17:19:21 »
Quote from: ch_123;172828
You're missing my point. 100-200 years ago, something like the big bang would have been thought unverifiable due to the limitations of scientific knowledge at the time. How do we really know that the existence of God is unverifiable?

an agnostic would answer: in that case when they devise a test for god/no-god (either conclusion of which makes faith obsolete, replacing it with proof), THEN i'll believe in god. Until then, i'm indifferent.

but you see the problem? "then i'll believe in god" -- after belief has been made obsolete, replaced by proof.  So you see, your question or the answer to it is more of a word game at that point.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 April 2010, 17:22:05 by wellington1869 »

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 17 April 2010, 02:31:56 »
Quote from: ch_123;172813
our current model of physics [has conflicting] sets of rules for things that occur on a quantum level, and... everything else.

Whenever a culture discovers too many anomalies in its physics, that physics has to change.

Quote from: ch_123;172828
How do we really know that the existence of God is unverifiable?

The definition of religious faith requires an unprovable deity.
IF
 {god requires faith} AND {god plays fair}
THEN
 {god's existence must be unprovable.}
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 April 2010, 02:35:10 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 17 April 2010, 04:59:40 »
But that assumes that God exists in the way we understand him/her/it to exist. I think if there's any God, that it's a deistic one. The ideas of organized human religion are absolute bollocks, to be blunt.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 17 April 2010, 11:08:35 »
Well then, we have the answer.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 26 April 2010, 20:16:41 »
Are you sure that wasn't Citizen's Band?

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 26 April 2010, 20:22:15 »
Quote from: quadibloc;176361
Are you sure that wasn't Citizen's Band?

yea that was a CB in a pickup truck :)  Clearly now that I've got the nato alphabet down I have to also learn about the different bands.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 27 April 2010, 16:32:29 »
Quote from: wellington1869;176369
yea that was a CB in a pickup truck :)  Clearly now that I've got the nato alphabet down I have to also learn about the different bands.

These are not bad to start with:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_spectrum (also see linked articles)
http://www.dxing.com/tuning.htm (focuses on longwave, mediumwave and shortwave)

CB is at ca. 27 MHz, usually NFM or AM.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 27 April 2010, 16:51:07 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;176703
These are not bad to start with:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_spectrum (also see linked articles)
http://www.dxing.com/tuning.htm (focuses on longwave, mediumwave and shortwave)

CB is at ca. 27 MHz, usually NFM or AM.

so basically now i'm setting myself up to be sucked into yet another all-consuming geeky hobby...  *sigh*, alright then, here we go...

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 27 April 2010, 16:59:15 »
On star trek last night Riker said "Baker" instead of "Bravo".  Interesting. I wonder if there's an official United Federation of Planets' Phonetic Alphabet.  Maybe I'd rather learn that instead!

(Or I could get a girlfriend).

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 27 April 2010, 23:04:08 »
I clicked this thread and got 45 minutes of god banter. lol.

That bastard pops up everywhere.

Personally, I don't believe there is a chance in hell (hehe) that god exists. And furthermore I don't like the word Atheist. If you are not a believer of something, then it's nothing to you and you should not be identified for not believing. That is admitting doubt. There is no word for people who don't believe in the Easter Bunny or in life on Mars, so why should god non-believers  get one?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 27 April 2010, 23:04:42 »
And Welly, you should at least get a hooker ;)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 01:25:25 »
Quote from: xsphat;176760
And Welly, you should at least get a hooker ;)

there's got to be a ****house on manhattan.  ;)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 06:58:41 »
Quote from: wellington1869;176770
there's got to be a ****house on manhattan.  ;)

Yeah, it's called "Manhattan."

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 09:29:29 »
Quote from: xsphat;176759

Certainly not a reason to be intentionally offensive.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 09:36:25 »
Quote from: iMav;176812
Certainly not a reason to be intentionally offensive.

Uh oh. I think Xsphat owes God a public apology.  ;)

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 19:12:44 »
There is no word for people who don't believe in the Easter Bunny or in life on Mars

Cynic?
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline waperboy

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 23:45:44 »

Personally, I don't believe there is a chance in hell (hehe) that god exists. And furthermore I don't like the word Atheist. If you are not a believer of something, then it's nothing to you and you should not be identified for not believing. That is admitting doubt. There is no word for people who don't believe in the Easter Bunny or in life on Mars, so why should god non-believers  get one?

I agree, of course there's no such thing as a god. However, life on Mars - present or past, is not entirely out of the question :)
Swedish layout Filco browns driving Ubuntu 10.04 on Asus P6T SE with Intel i7 930, 12Gb Corsair XMS3 1333MHz RAM, OCZ Vertex2 90Gb SSD + WD Caviar Black 1Tb, KFA2 GTX 460 driving Samsung 24" 16/10.
Netting through Asus RT-N16 router with Tomato VPN firmware