Author Topic: [IC] SKB2 - steel, isolation top mount, powder coated / ETA set!  (Read 285333 times)

Offline wing1098

Re: [IC] SKB2 - steel case, isolation top mount, powder coated
« Reply #300 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 00:10:17 »
Update / prototype funding:

With the next prototypes I want to show you a few color options, finishes, materials and different sizes. Just one or two prototypes won't be enough this time. This will be quite expensive and that's why I suggest the following:

I'll put up a google form where those who want to jump on early and support quicker advancing towards GB phase, can do so for a lower price. I don't know jet how much each size will cost in the end, it depends on many factors. I estimate the 60% versions will probably not be cheaper than 110€. So the first 15 early birds who fill out the form will get a 110€ paypal invoice. When the GB starts they can choose whatever size/version they like. For a smaller size, shipping will be free for them. If they choose a bigger size, they will probably have to pay a bit of shipping or full shipping, depending on where the price of the bigger sizes will land. Either way, I'll make sure the early birds will have a price advantage of around 15-20%, I think that's fair.

Be aware that these sizes will definitely be made:
- 60% / Standard, WKL, HHKB, YAS
- 65% / with and without blockers
- TKL / Standard and WKL

these sizes maybe made:
- 60% / Boardwalk
- 75% (very likely but not jet decided which PCB it will support)

Good plan?

sad I missed it

Offline wgsunrise

« Reply #301 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 21:43:39 »
This is so much different than anything else on the market right now.
It was a pity that I missed the first GB. But I will definitely join this one.
75% is my go-to option in this GB but if it doesn't get included eventually then I will settle with a 65%.

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #302 on: Thu, 05 December 2019, 04:06:25 »
@PlastikSchnittstell, Hi, waiting is part of the sport but could you give us a rough schedule on the next steps (protos?), when it's clear for you? Thx

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

« Reply #303 on: Fri, 06 December 2019, 15:34:18 »
Any chance for a more traditional 65 layout that has only the small blocker beside the arrow keys? The current 65 w/ blocker has a rather unique blocker position which may appeal to some, but I don't see how the blocker above the arrow keys serve any purpose considering there's no badge or accent to add to the aesthetics.

a badge should not be the reason for a blocker, imo. there are two reasons for the placement. A) it goes well with caps from G80/G81 boards. they don't have caps that would fit the blocked position, you would have to take keys from the num block. B) I like the left column to not be complete but to keep space for my pinky to rest at the edge of enter and shift - that's just a personal preference of course and might not make sense for others.

it is not 100% decided jet. only the small blocker might be very popular. I'll probably let another form decide which 65% blocker variants will be made.

« Reply #304 on: Fri, 06 December 2019, 15:35:05 »
@PlastikSchnittstell, Hi, waiting is part of the sport but could you give us a rough schedule on the next steps (protos?), when it's clear for you? Thx

Yes, here is another UPDATE:
I got the prototypes yesterday. Brought them to powder coating earlier today. There is a good chance they will be ready before christmas.
A lot of details still need to be worked out (deciding on colors, sizes, blocker-versions, which layouts will the plates support). I assume january or february is when I'll be ready to open the GB. I plan to open a discord for the GB, then.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 December 2019, 15:41:34 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline SteffeMK

« Reply #305 on: Fri, 06 December 2019, 16:09:54 »

Yes, here is another UPDATE:
I got the prototypes yesterday. Brought them to powder coating earlier today. There is a good chance they will be ready before christmas.
A lot of details still need to be worked out (deciding on colors, sizes, blocker-versions, which layouts will the plates support). I assume january or february is when I'll be ready to open the GB. I plan to open a discord for the GB, then.
If you could have the gb at the end of february that would be great, then I have the money to join.

Skickat från min ONEPLUS A6013 via Tapatalk

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #306 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 15:58:57 »
Just found this R2 thread.  I didn't see the appeal of the board before, but now I'm on board (get it?!)  I would probably go for black, but here are some options that would have me interested in a custom color. These all have ties to sports cars or military vehicles, both seeming to fit the design language of this case to me.

231355-0

Food for thought

Offline iNv_ForEveR

« Reply #307 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 20:06:13 »
Update / prototype funding:

With the next prototypes I want to show you a few color options, finishes, materials and different sizes. Just one or two prototypes won't be enough this time. This will be quite expensive and that's why I suggest the following:

I'll put up a google form where those who want to jump on early and support quicker advancing towards GB phase, can do so for a lower price. I don't know jet how much each size will cost in the end, it depends on many factors. I estimate the 60% versions will probably not be cheaper than 110€. So the first 15 early birds who fill out the form will get a 110€ paypal invoice. When the GB starts they can choose whatever size/version they like. For a smaller size, shipping will be free for them. If they choose a bigger size, they will probably have to pay a bit of shipping or full shipping, depending on where the price of the bigger sizes will land. Either way, I'll make sure the early birds will have a price advantage of around 15-20%, I think that's fair.

Be aware that these sizes will definitely be made:
- 60% / Standard, WKL, HHKB, YAS
- 65% / with and without blockers
- TKL / Standard and WKL

these sizes maybe made:
- 60% / Boardwalk
- 75% (very likely but not jet decided which PCB it will support)

Good plan?

Sounds great! I'll definitely jump on for early bird, really interested in these!

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

« Reply #308 on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 00:20:33 »
Sounds great! I'll definitely jump on for early bird, really interested in these!

Sorry to disappoint, but you're a bit late for early bird.

The raffle ended like 2 weeks ago.

Offline d00deitsnik

• Grails: SA Olivia, 1800 w/ only Latriualum keycaps
« Reply #309 on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 00:46:23 »

I think it was FCFS for the early bird.

« Reply #310 on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 06:44:50 »

I think it was FCFS for the early bird.

yes, more than 15 had filled it out just a few hours after I had opened it, so I had to close it quickly. I was really pleased by that, because I could immediately order the protos. and yes, it wasn't a raffle it was just FCFS, simple and quick.

Offline Saga

• Pew Pew Particle Accelerators
« Reply #311 on: Tue, 17 December 2019, 18:48:04 »
I have my SKB 75 just put together and now I'm drooling about this one...

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #312 on: Tue, 17 December 2019, 18:52:20 »
Do we have a Discord Channel? Should we have Discord Channel?

Offline dugihk

« Reply #313 on: Tue, 17 December 2019, 19:28:47 »
The colors are really nice

Offline Caktuss

« Reply #314 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 10:19:38 »
a dumb comment, thanks.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 December 2019, 22:40:45 by Caktuss »

« Reply #315 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 12:14:48 »
Are you going to run an early bird on orders/payments as well? Seems rather dumb to run it on IC when those might not even purchase, where as the people actually PAYING aren't given any discounts.

Early birds paid and funded prototypes this way. I can hardly imagine someone paying his early bird invoice and all of a sudden refusing getting a kit.

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #316 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 15:05:16 »
Are you going to run an early bird on orders/payments as well? Seems rather dumb to run it on IC when those might not even purchase, where as the people actually PAYING aren't given any discounts.
what are you even trying to sayyyy???? but go ahead call people dumb lmao

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #317 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 16:24:17 »

I felt an overwhelming urge to go out of my way to tell you that your comment is unfathomably dumb. Here are the reasons why:
  • Early bird was literally to fund prototypes. This is a necessary step in order to finalize product offerings for GB. So no, it is not "rather dumb to run it in IC".
  • OP literally stated that early bird participants will be given their choice of board once GB begins. In other words, being an early bird participant means you are purchasing the board early (crazy concept, right?). So, when you said IC early bird participants "might not even purchase", that was dumb. Again, it is an early (bird) purchase.
  • The people paying are being given discounts. As OP literally stated (see a pattern here?), "I'll make sure the early birds will have a price advantage of around 15-20%, I think that's fair". Also, OP has no obligation to give any one a discount. A discount should never be expected and complaining about a lack of one (especially this early in the process) is just straight up disrespectful to the maker.
  • Please read the goddamn thread.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 December 2019, 16:26:28 by steezkeez »

« Reply #318 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 17:36:26 »
@steezkeez
thanks for your effort to clarify this. it would have not been neccessary to clarify anything if Caktuss would have just read some more of the thread before posting. it's a classic, happens all the time.

all early birds got an invoice the next day after I closed the google-form. they all paid within the next two or three days and I could therefore order more prototypes. yes, I had already posted that, I think.
happy to let you now that I got the protos back from surface treatement today. looking really nice! probably won't be able to show you pictures tomorrow, but hopefully around the weekend. I'm VERY satisfied about the result :)

Offline d00deitsnik

« Reply #319 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 00:15:22 »
@steezkeez
thanks for your effort to clarify this. it would have not been neccessary to clarify anything if Caktuss would have just read some more of the thread before posting. it's a classic, happens all the time.

all early birds got an invoice the next day after I closed the google-form. they all paid within the next two or three days and I could therefore order more prototypes. yes, I had already posted that, I think.
happy to let you now that I got the protos back from surface treatement today. looking really nice! probably won't be able to show you pictures tomorrow, but hopefully around the weekend. I'm VERY satisfied about the result :)

I'm guessing you're pretty well-versed when it comes to ICs. I know you did a first round with the SKB1, but it feels like this GB is progressing pretty smoothly and fairly quickly. I appreciate all the work you're putting in. And I'm soooo hyped for the proto photos! I'm hyped but also not in a rush. We're in holiday season right now, and family time is important. (:

I forgot why I was responding now. lol

edit: Oh yeah. It's cuz I got excited to hear about the protos hahah

Offline hansikhouse

« Reply #320 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 06:41:15 »
@steezkeez

Psyched to see the new batch!

Offline norb

« Reply #321 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 11:56:00 »
hoping for some flashy colors :thumb:

« Reply #322 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 12:53:19 »
Do we have a Discord Channel? Should we have Discord Channel?

once we reach GB status, I will make a discord channel.

just tried to post pictures of the new protos but I get ERROR503 :(

Offline hansikhouse

« Reply #323 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 13:31:00 »
We'll survive with IMGUR photos  ;D

« Reply #324 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 13:36:04 »
We'll survive with IMGUR photos  ;D

...in progress...

« Reply #325 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 14:11:18 »
Update, 2nd prototype batch

less talking, just the most necessary info on the new protos.
general note:
most builds are just put together for taking pictures. no PCBs inside, that's why some keys don't sit well (see dolch spacebar), please excuse.

1. CLASSIC BEIGE
material: steel
treatment: powder coating
color: RAL9002, Feinstruktur
size: 87%
angle: 8°
caps: epbt
note: the first proto with RAL9001 is shown next to it. like I had hoped, RAL 9002 works much better with classic beide keycaps.

2. DOLCH
color: RAL7039, Feinstruktur
size: 65%
angle: 10°
caps: gmk dolch
note: imo the color is a perfect match for classic dolch

3. BLACK
color: RAL9005, glossy
size: 87%
angle: 10°
caps: wob with cmy-mods
note: since most of my cap sets are taken from old cherry boards, I wasn't able to populate the bottom row fully

4. RED
color: RAL3020, glossy
size: 60%
angle: 12°
caps: any suggestions?
note: I need more keycaps

5. INOX, NICKEL
material: stainless steel
treatment: bead blasted and nickel coated
color: clear/champagne?
size: 60%
caps: tai-hao, pbt doubleshot
note: the nickel coating makes a color that reminds me of champagne

6. INOX, NAKED
material: stainless steel
treatment: bead blasted
color: -
size: 65%
caps: epbt
note: stainless steel screws could be used instead of the black ones, I don't have those (jet). also side by side comparison with the nickel treated version

what are your thoughts?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #326 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 14:27:16 »
Big fan of the dolch and naked.   :thumb:

Offline hansikhouse

« Reply #327 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 14:42:52 »
Powder coating on dolch looks great

Offline d00deitsnik

« Reply #328 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 14:44:35 »
The nickel looks really nice. Any chance you'll still be offering the RAL6027, but in the Feinstruktur? I kinda like how the texture looks with the matte finish.

« Reply #329 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 14:47:36 »
Well, Dolch is interesting color. And I think it will fit not only Dolch, but any other dark keycaps with vibrant accents. Reminds me of old Catalyst 2950 switches in a way.
Glossy is big meh IMO: the structure is "wavy" and uneven. One could achive perfect structure in car paint shop, but it will cost way more.
Inox Nickeled is very interesting finish: warm, but not "pinky" as those Apple Rose Gold copycats (personally, I hate that color). I'll check it on better screen and if it will be available -- consider switching to it from 9001.
As for basic "beige" -- I still would prefer 9001 over 9002 for Yugo I plan to put on this board.

« Reply #330 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 14:59:47 »
The nickel looks really nice. Any chance you'll still be offering the RAL6027, but in the Feinstruktur? I kinda like how the texture looks with the matte finish.

totally possible, yes.
I just couldn't afford to get all the colors I showed in the renderings. you have to pay rüstkosten (setup-fees?) for every color.
another google-form will help to decide which colors will be offered in the end.
though I'm not sure if the rather poppy RAL6027 will be better in glossy instead of feinstruktur?

« Reply #331 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 15:17:37 »
Well, Dolch is interesting color. And I think it will fit not only Dolch, but any other dark keycaps with vibrant accents. Reminds me of old Catalyst 2950 switches in a way.
Glossy is big meh IMO: the structure is "wavy" and uneven. One could achive perfect structure in car paint shop, but it will cost way more.
Inox Nickeled is very interesting finish: warm, but not "pinky" as those Apple Rose Gold copycats (personally, I hate that color). I'll check it on better screen and if it will be available -- consider switching to it from 9001.
As for basic "beige" -- I still would prefer 9001 over 9002 for Yugo I plan to put on this board.

yes, glossy looks a bit "flaky/wavy/uneven", not sure how to describe it. it's not about the quality of the shop (this shop also does car parts, btw), it has to do with the size of the surface but i'm not sure. I'll ask when they open again next year, now they are all closed here.

true, for yugo 9001 would be a better fit. but classic beige is a far bigger audience (me included).

Offline d00deitsnik

« Reply #332 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 15:23:52 »

totally possible, yes.
I just couldn't afford to get all the colors I showed in the renderings. you have to pay rüstkosten (setup-fees?) for every color.
another google-form will help to decide which colors will be offered in the end.
though I'm not sure if the rather poppy RAL6027 will be better in glossy instead of feinstruktur?

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I was worried for a second lol. Thanks for the clarification. (:
Similar to what Fearsome mentioned, I feel like the glossy powder coat reveals a lot of the unevenness in the coating, which seems a little offputting imo. It's noticable in the RAL3020 photos. To be fair, I think I would like the way feinstruktur looks in any color.

Offline cerement

« Reply #333 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 15:32:32 »
Would it be possible to see a photo with the ePBT / Classic Beige keycaps next to or sitting on the Inox Nickel finish? Almost looks like it might be a nicer match than RAL9002 or RAL9001 ...

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #334 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 15:48:06 »
That red makes me fully confident in the shop to be able to pull off flashy colours - looks great despite the "wavy" inconsistencies which I'm sure can be fixed.

The Dolch amazing too, well picked. The original beige colour from your first proto is still by far my favourite but this is very exciting!

Offline norb

« Reply #335 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 16:40:23 »
gotta follow up with the guys saying the glossy looks like crap. it does imo. but i'd totally still be a fan of a flashy feinstruktur red, orange, laser purple/pink, toxic green, baby blue whatever you can think of.
the nickel and naked ones also look very tempting :thumb:

Offline whyamihere

« Reply #336 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 16:42:32 »
hype

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #337 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 17:11:39 »
the more i see the nickel the more I like it. Would like to see carbon or 9009 on it.  But I still think the dolch, beige, or even naked would work with more sets.

I think the Fine structure texture is what's swaying me though.  It looks so nice.  I like it better than the glossy for sure.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 December 2019, 17:15:38 by pixelpusher »

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #338 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 17:23:45 »
nickel is gorgeous holy ****

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #339 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 17:26:55 »
Powder coating Feinstruktur and beadblasted nickel & raw looks STUNNING  :eek:

Would it be possible to have a shot of the powder coated glossy in a indoor environment?

ill happily take a 1800 dolch and a raw TKL :cool:

Proto's looks stunning Plastik, great work!
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 December 2019, 17:28:55 by RETURNISO »

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #340 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 19:02:05 »
Cool!
Not a fan of glossy myself, I think nickel looks really cool though.
And I'm not sure if it's a popular opinion but I'd prefer RAL9001 over RAL9002, I think with RAL9002 the case actually looks noticeable colder than the alphas which I don't think is the case with RAL9001. Actually, I think what I would love the most would go even further in the direction of a slightly yellowed ABS case or old paper. I'm one of the pre-orders and I thought I'd go for a HHKB 60% with a beige like the prototype in the first post but if that's not available I'll have to think a bit more about the color.

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #341 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 20:21:15 »
INOX Nickel looks awesome! Definitely my favorite out of these finishes. I also prefer the new RAL9002 over 9001.

I’d probably go with the Nickel or if there is a matte black/dark grey option (bead blasted I hope?), I would consider that as well :) Appreciate the updates!

Offline online

« Reply #342 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 22:01:23 »
I still prefer classic beige RAL9001. RAL9002 seem too white.

Offline SpringWind

« Reply #343 on: Sat, 21 December 2019, 01:55:23 »
I had an intention of choosing matte-finished RAL9001 until now, but every samples in above post are great too!
It's so difficult for me that choose one option from current samples.

I will choose DOLCH with matte-finish if RAL9001 will replace with RAL9002.

Offline R4WBIT

« Reply #344 on: Sat, 21 December 2019, 02:42:50 »
RAL9001 definitely looks a bit better than RAL9002 for classic beige keycaps :)

Offline Franzl

« Reply #345 on: Sat, 21 December 2019, 03:36:31 »
7021 looks really good with dolch too

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103257.msg2831279.msg#2831279

Edit: f*ck of tapatalk!
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 December 2019, 03:38:45 by Franzl »

Offline hansikhouse

« Reply #346 on: Sat, 21 December 2019, 06:26:58 »
The Inox variants are really growing on me, especially if you provide silver screws (would love to see samples on a build). Thinking of picking up 2 of these during the buy.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #347 on: Sat, 21 December 2019, 06:52:30 »
Really like both inox and the og colorways. Not a big fan of the glossy powdercoat, coats look way too thick.

Would love to see a nice rich dark blue to match Metropolis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hell-es

« Reply #348 on: Sat, 21 December 2019, 07:19:39 »
Yeah, Inox  :thumb: happy to see protos coming out nice - well spent money

Can‘t wait for gb to start  ;D

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #349 on: Sat, 21 December 2019, 22:41:15 »
All protos look great except for black. And as someone interested in a black TKL version of this, I think glossy isn’t the way to go.