Author Topic: Do you regret buying your HHKB?  (Read 76180 times)

Offline Bucake

Re: Do you regret buying your HHKB?
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 09:20:13 »
does anyone actually prefer a regular/non-silent HHKB or self-silenced (modded) over the HHKB Type-S?

also; does the USB hub on the HHKB use power, even when nothing is plugged into either of the slots?
because i've seen people talk about disconnecting the USB hub, so i wondered what the reason to do this is..
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 10:02:50 »
The HHKB Pro 2 is the best keyboard purchase I've made. The layout is perfect for me, so there is no need for reprogramming it. Although I like the HHKB Pro 2 as it is, there were some things I decided to change, so I added Topre silencing rings and 55g domes to a black HHKB and dressed it up a bit with blue alphanumeric keycaps plus red Esc and Fn keys. 60% is my favorite form factor, and I've tried others in this category (including Poker II, Tex Beetle, V60 Matias Quiet, and V60 Matias Click). The V60 Matias Click comes close to being my top pick, but the HHKB Pro 2 still wins.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 03:41:24 »
I have never regretted owning the HHKB.

If you have tried typing on one, you will know that the feeling is so different as compared to typing on the other cherry keys and somehow it just makes you want to type more.
Not only that, my typing accuracy has also improved.

Never tried the Type-S though.
May or may not prefer that over standard.

I started with the Type-S and I must admit that I don't like it over my Novatouch. The keyboard is perfectly silent but you lose all the tactility. It has no point in using it as a Topre board IMHO. If you want a linear board just go for MX they have a wider choice and better choices. Topre is defined by his tactility IMHO.

does anyone actually prefer a regular/non-silent HHKB or self-silenced (modded) over the HHKB Type-S?

also; does the USB hub on the HHKB use power, even when nothing is plugged into either of the slots?
because i've seen people talk about disconnecting the USB hub, so i wondered what the reason to do this is..

I own only and have tried only one HHKB: 55g Type-S. I don't like it. The board is beautiful but the Type-S remove all tactility from the switches which is pointless for me. However it is really quiet. I have a Novatouch which I love. I silence modded it and it is better than the Type-S in terms of feel. The problem with the Type-s is that the foam ring they use are not thin enough on the normal plunger hence it affects the key travel which equals in loss of tactility.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline Sencha

• HHKB Pro
  • MX Reds <3
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 07:23:21 »
The only thing I regret about my HHKB is buying other boards first.

I agree with this statement.

Apologies but since there are a few owners in here, Semi-off topic question - Seeing as the FC660C is known for a heavier actuation has anyone gone and tried dome swapping with a HHKB? To get a heavier feel?

My FC660C is lighter then my HHKB. It basically feels in between the HHKB and he 45g Realforce.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 09:25:36 »
I don't regret not buying one...  <layout, flexibility, sliding feet, rubber domes, sore fingers, different material spacebar, price = no thanks>
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 09:50:17 »

If you have tried typing on one, you will know that the feeling is so different as compared to typing on the other cherry keys and somehow it just makes you want to type more.

I started with the Type-S and I must admit that I don't like it over my Novatouch. The keyboard is perfectly silent but you lose all the tactility. It has no point in using it as a Topre board IMHO. If you want a linear board just go for MX they have a wider choice and better choices. Topre is defined by his tactility IMHO.

I own only and have tried only one HHKB: 55g Type-S. I don't like it. The board is beautiful but the Type-S remove all tactility from the switches which is pointless for me. However it is really quiet. I have a Novatouch which I love. I silence modded it and it is better than the Type-S in terms of feel. The problem with the Type-s is that the foam ring they use are not thin enough on the normal plunger hence it affects the key travel which equals in loss of tactility.

Not sure what type of "Type-S" you have but it should still retain tactility...Did you get a dental mod one or something?

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 10:02:07 »

Not sure what type of "Type-S" you have but it should still retain tactility...Did you get a dental mod one or something?
Pure type-s. It feels the same way as my Novatouch did when I silenced modded it but didn't flatten the pads enough. Compared to Stock Topre, you lose way too much tactility IMHO.

Offline trigun0x2

• Potato Potato
    • HearthStats
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 12:22:17 »
Just got one last week and thought I fully regretted it due to how squishy the switches were (I usually use clears/blues).

After taking it with me for the weekend, all has changed.

That layout is amazing and I'm liking the feel more and more. NO REGRETS  :thumb:

Offline Sencha

• HHKB Pro
  • MX Reds <3
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 16:32:44 »

Pure type-s. It feels the same way as my Novatouch did when I silenced modded it but didn't flatten the pads enough. Compared to Stock Topre, you lose way too much tactility IMHO.

Gotta agree. I didn't like the feel or sound of the type S at all. The stock switches are a joy though. Sold my type-s and bought another stock.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 16:44:04 »
yes.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 16:44:48 »
oh wait, i didnt buy mine so no.

i do regret wasting all that money on other crap instead of going straight to it since it's the board i wanted since the beginning.

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 16:55:26 »

i do regret wasting all that money on other crap instead of going straight to it since it's the board i wanted since the beginning.

Same. My Cherry-based board brings me no joy now and I'll be selling it soon.

Offline Synless

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 21:31:07 »

Same. My Cherry-based board brings me no joy now and I'll be selling it soon.

Thirded. Bought a Kul with reds as my first MK a few weeks ago and loved it. The Kul is a tank. Mulled over what I was going to get as a work kb and took a shot on the HHKB. I'll probably be buying a second HHKB soon and selling the Kul.

Offline Axollott

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 01:50:31 »
What is the best (considering pricing, consumer support, shipment rates, warranty policies)  place to get the HHKB?  I was thinking in buying a Leopold 660 or backlit Pok3r  (whatever I can get my hands on first)  but following this thread is messing my head up so badly. D:  I haven't ever touched a topre and no way to do it unless I get it online. I'm in México, this place is still pretty uncivilized.

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 01:58:44 »
What is the best (considering pricing, consumer support, shipment rates, warranty policies)  place to get the HHKB?  I was thinking in buying a Leopold 660 or backlit Pok3r  (whatever I can get my hands on first)  but following this thread is messing my head up so badly. D:  I haven't ever touched a topre and no way to do it unless I get it online. I'm in México, this place is still pretty uncivilized.

I would just keep an eye out on the GH classified ads and also reddit.com/r/mechmarket I bought my HHKB for $215 USD shipped and it is the greatest keyboard I have owned. I am new to the community, but I have already had 4 other keyboards in the past month. The only other one I truly loved is my poker ii with mx browns.
HHKB Pro 1| Poker 2(MX Browns)| Leopold FC200R (MX Blue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yup, that tasted purple" -Lulu

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138889771@N05/

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 07:29:17 »

Gotta agree. I didn't like the feel or sound of the type S at all. The stock switches are a joy though. Sold my type-s and bought another stock.

The type-s still has some tactility but it is definitely lessen by the landing pads. I don't know if I'll take an HHKB again. The board is beautiful but the lack of programmability annoys me even though you can add Hasu's controller but I don't like the idea of losing the USB port.

yes.

Damn he rose from the dead!

Offline tribade

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 17:59:35 »
The only thing I regret about buying my HHKB is that it's in Philly right now and I'm not and I have no idea whether it's survived in decent condition  :p  Hopefully I'll have it back soon.
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline Axollott

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 06:12:01 »

I would just keep an eye out on the GH classified ads and also reddit.com/r/mechmarket I bought my HHKB for $215 USD shipped and it is the greatest keyboard I have owned. I am new to the community, but I have already had 4 other keyboards in the past month. The only other one I truly loved is my poker ii with mx browns.
That's a decent price. I'm considering buying it from Amazon Japan, apparently my country has a commercial treaty with Japan making high tech products free of importing taxes. I'm still thinking / measuring my options.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 06:48:10 »
Since buying a HHKB, I have written 8 New York Times best selling novels because it feels so good to just keep typing. Maybe if I had bought a Korean custom I could have written 10. I regret everything.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 18:29:38 »
No, because I've personally bought only the Lite. It's helped me realize the layout is pretty stupid (or rather completely retarded), except for the backspace location.

ErgoDox on the other hand…
…or even Noppoo Choc Mini for that matter…

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 20:25:34 »
No, because I've personally bought only the Lite. It's helped me realize the layout is pretty stupid (or rather completely retarded), except for the backspace location.

ErgoDox on the other hand…
…or even Noppoo Choc Mini for that matter…

I'm not a big fan of the layout as well.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 03:16:01 »
I don't regret not buying one...  <layout, flexibility, sliding feet, rubber domes, sore fingers, different material spacebar, price = no thanks>

Just to provide a counterpoint for a couple of these:

Layout - what you make of it.

Flexibility - at least it has DIP switches, more than most keyboards, and you can replace the controller for more flexibility

Sliding feet - aftermarket rubber feet (like some other keyboards), or just a layer of drawer liner (which also dampens the bottom out sound to leave just the upstroke thock)

Rubber domes - The Ultimate Rubber Dome keyboard ;)

Sore fingers - 45g too much?  Swap for 30g domes :p

Different material spacebar - GB for PBT space bars

Price - many say you pay for what you get :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline vvp

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 04:48:40 »
Like Monster Audio Cables?
Sorry, I could not resist. Although there is a correlation between quality and price, you cannot apply this reasoning to one particular case. I have nothing against HHKB. The only thing I know about it is that it is not for me since it is not a contoured matrix keyboard. And HHKB's price is dangerously near to Kinesis Advantage (which has on-the-fly remap/macro). And if you are willing to swap controller, then you can do it on Kinesis too.
One could argue that HHKB is more portable. Well, why would I move it around? Some simple staggered keyboard will be available on the spot everywhere. Well, that is me. Some people probably like topre so much that they will haul a keyboard with them everywhere :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 05:55:09 »
Like Monster Audio Cables?
Sorry, I could not resist. Although there is a correlation between quality and price, you cannot apply this reasoning to one particular case. I have nothing against HHKB. The only thing I know about it is that it is not for me since it is not a contoured matrix keyboard. And HHKB's price is dangerously near to Kinesis Advantage (which has on-the-fly remap/macro). And if you are willing to swap controller, then you can do it on Kinesis too.
One could argue that HHKB is more portable. Well, why would I move it around? Some simple staggered keyboard will be available on the spot everywhere. Well, that is me. Some people probably like topre so much that they will haul a keyboard with them everywhere :)

Yeah, snake oil :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Herothereu

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 23:10:40 »
Shoulda bought a Novatouch!

Offline yuppie

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 08:12:10 »
I recently acquired a HHKB2. It's my first 60% and it's pretty nice. However, I'm coming from a apple fullsized keyboard and I've found I'm more dependent on arrow keys (and tilde being on the top left) than I thought I was. I really like how small the HHKB is but, I'm finding myself contorting my hand into odd shapes to hit home/end and the arrows. I never use my pinkies to type, which is most likely the main issue.

I've got an FC660C in the mail from /r/mechmarket and I hope that'll make me more comfortable. I've been looking at the 87UB as well, although it's not the most aesthetically pleasing board out there.

Do I regret buying it? Nah, it's a good board, just not for me. I should be able to sell it for more than I paid or trade it for something else.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline katzinator

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 14:11:45 »
I'm a couple months into ownership of mine. While I really enjoy the Topre and compact size, the non-standard locations of keys like \ have proven to be a bit annoying when switching back forth between my laptop. I'm sure this will become less of an issue over time.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 14:48:42 »
I regret opening this thread.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 14:49:22 »

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 15:33:35 »
No.

Nope.

Never.

Bought my first...loved it so much i then went and bought a second.

This has become my endgame board (if such a thing exists)

I'm actually selling off about 85% of my other keyboards because they see little to no use now.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline yomammary

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 15:40:44 »
Bought a HHKB, sold it and got a Realforce 87u 55g instead.
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 15:44:14 »

55g RF GODLY switch

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 15:58:10 »

I did the exact opposite, bought both preferred the HHKB sold the 55G RF 87U to a GH member.

Different "key"strokes for different folks i guess.  I personally found the 55G too fatiguing for long term usage and the case mounted feeling of the HHKB preferable to the plate mounting on the RF when comparing both side by side.  The RF is an excellent board with zero complaints from me but i do prefer the HHKB overall.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline carmenohio

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 16:35:40 »
I regret buying mine.  Not a popular opinion around here, but I found out that I do not like Topre switches.  Luckily, they go for quite a bit on the resale market so I didn't lose out on much.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 16:49:48 »
I regret buying mine.  Not a popular opinion around here, but I found out that I do not like Topre switches.  Luckily, they go for quite a bit on the resale market so I didn't lose out on much.

It may not be popular but it's no less valid.  I learned early on in the keyboard game not every switch is for everyone.  And tastes evolve and change with time as well...had you asked me two years ago would i be using Topre i would have told you that you are insane and MX Switches for life.  There are switches i can not stand and simply do not get them...but obviously someone does or they would not be produced anymore.    Never quite understood those types that belittle someone else for not loving the switch of their own preference.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline itzmeluigi

• ПБТ
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 16:56:03 »

I regret buying mine also, my Realforce is one of the best keyboards ive ever used, my HHKB though not so much at all.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 17:05:24 »

I regret buying mine also, my Realforce is one of the best keyboards ive ever used, my HHKB though not so much at all.

As someone who went the opposite route and sold his Realforce and bought a second HHKB.  Mind if i ask out of curiosity why it is you felt that way?  I'm always curious of opinions and what leads to them when someone feels the opposite.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 17:05:56 »

Already??

Offline itzmeluigi

• ПБТ
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 17:32:25 »

Already??

Yeah, i think it might have been a dud HHKB with low QC or something though since a ton of the keycaps on it were crooked, the stems were visible clear as day through the top of the keycaps (my Realforce doesnt have any of those issues) and the Topre switches in that HHKB felt non consistent and rough, some keys felt much better than others though, it was impossible to comfortably type on it though since some keys really did feel heavier than others.  I read that Topre domes can dry out though over time and make the switches feel rough and not as responsive, My HHKB is a 2010 model so i think that could very well be it. So i opened it up and found a few of switches had a good amount of lube applied on them while others were completely dry without it, i took note of the switches that had lube applied and put it back together and those were the switches that felt much better and smooth. Still not sure why some feel heavier than others though.  Ill probably buy a brand new HHKB one day to give it another chance since i got mine used and i really think its just one that got by with low QC.

Offline dante

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 17:39:20 »

Already??

Yeah, i think it might have been a dud HHKB with low QC or something though since a ton of the keycaps on it were crooked, the stems were visible clear as day through the top of the keycaps (my Realforce doesnt have any of those issues) and the Topre switches in that HHKB felt non consistent and rough, some keys felt much better than others though, it was impossible to comfortably type on it though since some keys really did feel heavier than others.  I read that Topre domes can dry out though over time and make the switches feel rough and not as responsive, My HHKB is a 2010 model so i think that could very well be it. So i opened it up and found a few of switches had a good amount of lube applied on them while others were completely dry without it, i took note of the switches that had lube applied and put it back together and those were the switches that felt much better and smooth. Still not sure why some feel heavier than others though.  Ill probably buy a brand new HHKB one day to give it another chance since i got mine used and i really think its just one that got by with low QC.

yeah - I don't have the stomach for finding such issues.  I think I'll stick with the PLUM electro capactives instead.

Offline biocalves

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 17:42:20 »

Already??

yeah - I don't have the stomach for finding such issues.  I think I'll stick with the PLUM electro capactives instead.

How's the build quality on the PLUM? I have a friend who refuses to try my hhkb purely on the fact that there's no lighting option available on it (sigh) and if the PLUM can do justice to electro capacitives I may try to steer him that way.

Offline dante

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 17:45:35 »

Already??

How's the build quality on the PLUM? I have a friend who refuses to try my hhkb purely on the fact that there's no lighting option available on it (sigh) and if the PLUM can do justice to electro capacitives I may try to steer him that way.

I don't know but I was ok with the build quality on my Royal Kludge boards which I think PLUM had a hand in.

I'm only looking at the PLUM mostly because it's 35g and comes in 75% layout.  Realforce has yet to sell a 87U 30g uniform board.

Offline biocalves

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 17:50:50 »

Already??

I don't know but I was ok with the build quality on my Royal Kludge boards which I think PLUM had a hand in.

I'm only looking at the PLUM mostly because it's 35g and comes in 75% layout.  Realforce has yet to sell a 87U 30g uniform board.

I'm interested in the PLUM for myself because of the 75% layout as well. The HHKB is my first 60% and I'm finding that I used all of my TKL layout before. BTW, as ridiculous as this is to gripe about I have 3 artisan topre caps and it already feels totally cluttered on my HHKB, so yeah I regret having a compact form factor that's easy to carry but doesn't consider my bling needs.  :rolleyes:

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 18:06:56 »
Heard very mixed reviews on those PLUM boards, never have i heard anyone say they are an identical substitute for Topre though be it HHKB or RF or otherwise.  Seems opinions vary on them greatly, but personally not sure i would want to trust such a lesser known brand with such a niche based switch to begin with.  Same goes for the Royal Kludge keyboards hear so many mixed opinions on them it's hard to invest that kind of coin (especially should something go wrong it would be very hard to get warranty service or even a replacement dealing with anyone but Massdrop)

Those of you who have used both Topre and one of the knock off clones what are your thoughts comparing the two? (If anyone here even has owned one of each that is?)  I have yet to get to try one in person all i can say for certain watching some reviews of them is the sound profile is most definitely different (They sound more like popping bubbles in sauce than normal Topre).  I'd love to hear a direct comparison if anyone here has owned both before. 

I know it's a bit off topic of the original thread but i am none the less curious :p  I would not mind buying one as a backup beater as to keep my HHKB's safe but i have heard such varying thoughts on them.

Current Daily Driver/s

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 18:15:41 »

Already??

well you know what to do with it

Offline vegs

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 02:15:29 »
Getting a second HHKB in a couple of months

so no
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline gain

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 02:20:02 »
I went straight to a JP Pro Type-S and at first I was unaware of the concept of anything other than the standard ANSI layout, once the head-scratching was done I've come to really appreciate it.

Unfortunately, I like the feel and sound of silenced 45g so much that everything else in the Topre lineup feels like arse to me, I'm curious about the hi-pro keyboards though.

Not interested in the normal HHKB at all though, don't like the lack of an arrow cluster.

That said, I have no regrets  :thumb:

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 02:41:51 »
Had HHKB for three days now. Still getting used to the layout and everything. This is my first 60% so I need to get used to that too. At first I didn't like the layout but Topre feels wonderful. At first I thought that maybe I've made a mistake but now I'm getting better and I like it. Would be better if it was programmable though.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline raymogi

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 02:47:28 »
Nope.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 06:53:51 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:36:07 by Khers »