Author Topic: Do you regret buying your HHKB?  (Read 76182 times)

Offline shadowku

Re: Do you regret buying your HHKB?
« Reply #300 on: Thu, 29 June 2017, 11:46:32 »
No regrets but kinda upset that the media keys (Volume Up/Down/Mute) does not work in Windows; Mac only.

I have a hasu controller and my media keys work on Windows, not sure if this is well known

I have a hasu but I've been too lazy to set it up. Is it possible to make the same media keys work for both Mac and Windows? I don't want to use diff media keys depending on which OS I'm using.

HHKB Pro2      FC660C

Offline shekki

« Reply #301 on: Thu, 29 June 2017, 12:41:46 »
I have a hasu but I've been too lazy to set it up. Is it possible to make the same media keys work for both Mac and Windows? I don't want to use diff media keys depending on which OS I'm using.

Not sure about mac, hopefully someone else can help. I do highly recommend trying out the hasu, full programmability is quite a luxury. And it's dumb easy to use too

Offline Bucake

« Reply #302 on: Thu, 29 June 2017, 13:06:29 »
pretty sure they use different codes for the media keys. the media keys of the stock hhkb apparently do not work on windows, so i've read.
i don't think it would be too hard to set up a toggle, to quickly switch between windows and mac compatibility.

hm, actually. maybe you can simply create fn keys that just send both codes? i assume that windows would simply ignore the mac commands, and vice versa.

edit: in keycode.h i don't actually see two sets of media keys..
edit: https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/issues/332 looks like it should just work. i really wonder why the media keys of the stock hhkb don't work on windows, did they actually do that on purpose? it's weird.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 June 2017, 13:30:16 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline shadowku

« Reply #303 on: Thu, 29 June 2017, 13:59:40 »
pretty sure they use different codes for the media keys. the media keys of the stock hhkb apparently do not work on windows, so i've read.
i don't think it would be too hard to set up a toggle, to quickly switch between windows and mac compatibility.

hm, actually. maybe you can simply create fn keys that just send both codes? i assume that windows would simply ignore the mac commands, and vice versa.

edit: in keycode.h i don't actually see two sets of media keys..
edit: https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/issues/332 looks like it should just work. i really wonder why the media keys of the stock hhkb don't work on windows, did they actually do that on purpose? it's weird.

That's awesome. Thanks a lot for that info.
Knowing that, I'll likely do the mod sooner and I'll probably hasu my FC660C too.

HHKB Pro2      FC660C

Offline Darksair

• My Homepage
« Reply #304 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 17:02:59 »
Well if you don’t use Emacs, don’t need caps lock, don’t need arrow keys, and don’t need numpad, …… it’s a pretty good board.

Offline robbles

« Reply #305 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 17:12:41 »
Well if you don’t use Emacs, don’t need caps lock, don’t need arrow keys, and don’t need numpad, …… it’s a pretty good board.

I write Javascript in Atom all day on this thing and it is just fine :thumb: Nice try though. Its a really versatile 60%.
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline Darksair

• My Homepage
« Reply #306 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 18:01:11 »
I write Javascript in Atom all day on this thing and it is just fine :thumb: Nice try though. Its a really versatile 60%.

Writing Javascript is probably fine, I don’t think the js community has the convention of using uppercase for constants, so it’s safe to map ctrl on caps lock.  But still, caps lock is super useful when you want to shout at people. :))
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 June 2017, 18:29:15 by Darksair »

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #307 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 18:52:10 »
Going through this feeling now. I bought mine, and it didn't "ruin" my other boards, but I definitely haven't had any desire to use them since my hhkb came in.

Offline robbles

« Reply #308 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 21:40:01 »

Writing Javascript is probably fine, I don’t think the js community has the convention of using uppercase for constants, so it’s safe to map ctrl on caps lock.  But still, caps lock is super useful when you want to shout at people. :))

Caps Lock is mapped to Fn+Tab by default. It's not like the key doesn't exist. Uppercase is used in patterns like flux and redux for actions. Once you learn to type while holding shift, the caps lock becomes pretty useless.
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline antquinonez

« Reply #309 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 22:03:18 »
Caps Lock is mapped to Fn+Tab by default. It's not like the key doesn't exist. Uppercase is used in patterns like flux and redux for actions. Once you learn to type while holding shift, the caps lock becomes pretty useless.

Keyboard short-cuts for first order commands? Now, if the HHKB was a standard, the way of the future, something with some serious ROI, well why not? But why? I'm just mentally lazy, I guess (I know).

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #310 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 05:54:10 »
Well, double keyboards for typing lower-case and upper-case letters without Shift have been gone for a century or so already. Are you going to complain about that too, or is just the familiarity with IBM Model M layout to blame?

Offline antquinonez

« Reply #311 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 12:47:52 »
Well, double keyboards for typing lower-case and upper-case letters without Shift have been gone for a century or so already. Are you going to complain about that too, or is just the familiarity with IBM Model M layout to blame?

Is the burden of learning a new keyboard system worth it? Can I take this knowledge and apply it to another company's products? Is it a standard? What's the point?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #312 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 05:25:39 »
No, most things about keyboards haven't been "worth it" for almost 50 years, because computers have enabled automation.

It takes a while, though. After all, progress happens only after old rigid people die.

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #313 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 07:55:00 »
Not at all, i love my hhkb!

Offline brianjking

• always carry a towel.
    • @brianjking
« Reply #314 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 15:03:42 »
Not at all. My only HHKB related regret would be not getting a Type-S when I purchased my JIS layout board.
TGR 910 (Healios) | HHKB BT KBDFans Silence-X | Roadkit (Cherry MX Silent Blacks) |Leopold FC750r (Cherry MX Silent Reds |TADA68 (Zealios) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S w/ Hasu BT | HHKB Pro 2 JP w/ Hasu BT & KBDFans Silence-X | RAMA M10-A w/ Zealios TINA-C w/ Cherry MX Silent Blacks HHKB BT Type-S

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #315 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 15:28:52 »
When I first got it.. I did regret a little. But now, after I modded, I LOVE IT

-55g RF Domes
-Lubed sliders Purple RF silent sliders
-PBT space bar.
-Lubed stabs and put bumpons underneath bar to help dampen the sound.
-Bumpons on the bottom to replace crappy factory ones.

The spacebar rattle was the hardest for me to over come at first.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #316 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 21:40:36 »
Two years in and I still do not regret...

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #317 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 21:55:17 »
My dad's a Topre man. He mainly uses a Realforce 104UB w/ all black blanks like a badass, but has a HHKB in all-white w/ blanks he uses for travel. I told him using blanks makes him cooler, which I think no one can deny.

As an MX man it's my fault for recommending Topre after evaluating his needs, but he seems to love them. Hell, he's written three books with them over the years (damn has it really been that long already?)

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #318 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 21:56:30 »
My dad's a Topre man. He mainly uses a Realforce 104UB w/ all black blanks like a badass, but has a HHKB in all-white w/ blanks he uses for travel. I told him using blanks makes him cooler, which I think no one can deny.

As an MX man it's my fault for recommending Topre after evaluating his needs, but he seems to love them. Hell, he's written three books with them over the years (damn has it really been that long already?)

I love my MX board and hhkb.. I think my "favorite" changes with my mood haha

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #319 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 22:02:49 »
I had a negative experience because my one and only Topre board was a high profile model and I hated it. MAYBE someday I'll give the HHKB a real shot.

I'm not gonna lie, lubed Pandas can only keep me hard for so many years, but my go-to daily driver is just so much better than anything else I have.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #320 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 22:07:06 »
I had a negative experience because my one and only Topre board was a high profile model and I hated it. MAYBE someday I'll give the HHKB a real shot.

I'm not gonna lie, lubed Pandas can only keep me hard for so many years, but my go-to daily driver is just so much better than anything else I have.

I am not a huge fan of stock hhkb but I love it lubed, silenced (properly, with Type S or Purple Sliders) and with 55g domes.

It is for sure one of my favorite typing experiences

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #321 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 22:15:57 »

i've never tried the high profile topre caps, but i imagine they're like SA profile caps.  cool retro look but absolute trash to type with.

try HHKB.  it's a beautiful little board that's great for plopping on your laptop while on the couch.  plus clacks look great on them. :)
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline ollir_

« Reply #322 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 16:52:10 »
I don't get it, what separates a HHKB from any other 60% keyboard?

Buy one and never look back. Ordered a second the other day and getting rid of all my other boards.

Yes, I get that people think it's great. But why?

Why do people think sex is greater than masturbation?

Because of the layout?

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #323 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 17:06:46 »
I don't get it, what separates a HHKB from any other 60% keyboard?

Buy one and never look back. Ordered a second the other day and getting rid of all my other boards.

Yes, I get that people think it's great. But why?

Why do people think sex is greater than masturbation?

Because of the layout?

Because of the feeeeeeeeellllls

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #324 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 22:25:56 »
I do not regret buying a HHKB Pro 2 or a Pro 1,Realforce 89u,Realforce 87u,Realforce 104UG. But i had to sell those off because linears are my life. I spend way to much cash on Topre but i found out a while back that linear is the switch i love the most. If Topre manages to make a linear dome keyboard i will buy it even though it will probably never happen anyway.  :(
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Belfong

« Reply #325 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 22:40:36 »
No regrets. I want a HHKB Bluetooth now. My HHKB feels so ancient in comparison to being cable free!

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #326 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 23:17:32 »
No regrets. I want a HHKB Bluetooth now. My HHKB feels so ancient in comparison to being cable free!

i have hasu's BT controllers in both of my hhkbs.  i think the battery life and maybe connectivity is better with the official ones, but it's important for me to be able to use custom layouts since i like to use spacefn.
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #327 on: Sat, 05 January 2019, 18:21:25 »
Finally found a use for my hhkb.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #328 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 02:39:52 »

i have hasu's BT controllers in both of my hhkbs.  i think the battery life and maybe connectivity is better with the official ones, but it's important for me to be able to use custom layouts since i like to use spacefn.

Also want a HHKB BT now but don't want to lose the Type-s feels. Have considered a hasu controller a few times but haven't heard the best things. What's your battery life like? and do you have connection troubles?

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #329 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 03:41:38 »

Also want a HHKB BT now but don't want to lose the Type-s feels. Have considered a hasu controller a few times but haven't heard the best things. What's your battery life like? and do you have connection troubles?

battery life has been fine for me.  i haven't kept track of exactly how long, but i can do maybe a couple of hours per night for a week without having to charge.

connection wise, they've been fine with my macbooks, but i haven't been able to pair them with my windows desktop machine.  i don't know whether the problem is with my old PC's bluetooth support (i've had issues connecting a PS4 controller before), or if it's user error because i don't really understand how to get the hasu controller to pair with more than one device at a time.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #330 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 06:05:17 »

battery life has been fine for me.  i haven't kept track of exactly how long, but i can do maybe a couple of hours per night for a week without having to charge.

connection wise, they've been fine with my macbooks, but i haven't been able to pair them with my windows desktop machine.  i don't know whether the problem is with my old PC's bluetooth support (i've had issues connecting a PS4 controller before), or if it's user error because i don't really understand how to get the hasu controller to pair with more than one device at a time.

Thanks, doesn't sound too bad. Getting BT devices to pair with more than one device at a time seems to be an issue for everyone, just got a set of Sony WH1000X headphones and even they seem to struggle when changing devices...

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #331 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 06:24:39 »
I write Javascript in Atom all day on this thing

You can never have enough punishment for writing JS.  :thumb:
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline ian13

« Reply #332 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 19:29:10 »
Regret it? At first, when it was stock. I just can't stand the spacebar sound. And the spacebar stabilizer rattle? Ugghh!!

And then I lubed it. I lubed it pretty good. Now I don't use my other boards as often as I use my HHKB. It's that good.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #333 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 20:16:05 »
Regret it? At first, when it was stock. I just can't stand the spacebar sound. And the spacebar stabilizer rattle? Ugghh!!

And then I lubed it. I lubed it pretty good. Now I don't use my other boards as often as I use my HHKB. It's that good.

I FINALLY have my SB silencing down. I put slightly larger bumpons next to the stock ones (under the SB), I put o-rings on the stabs on the SB and I looked the crap out of it

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #334 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 15:44:59 »
speaking of regret. is there any info about v3?  i’m guessing that’ll be a disappointment.

hhkb2 too good.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #335 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 20:02:57 »
Ongoing lack of regret here, except for the fact that I have lost mine.

It will turn up eventually - a house move or two does that to things.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Applet

« Reply #336 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 03:12:08 »
My only regret with the HHKB is that I lost some of my interest of building customs. Why build a new pretty keyboard when I'm going to end up using the HHKB anyway?  ;D

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #337 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 06:30:21 »
Not really. It's nice, but not a stand-out among my other boards. I think it would tower above everything if I didn't have boards with partial and polycarb plates though. Topre is very comfortable, especially when it's case-mounted.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150