geekhack Community > Keyboards

Is this a rubber dome board?

<< < (4/16) > >>

kishy:
If KeyTronic is still building them "like they used to", then yes, Keytronic rubber dome keyboards are acceptable-ish. They do have a somewhat "crisp" tactile point when they collapse, but as is true for rubber domes in general, you need to crush the thing down with force to get a keystroke to register.

Come to think of it, the feel of my old KeyTronic was like that of the Unicomp rubber dome, but not quite as crisp.

I wouldn't want to type on one for any extended period of time - any keyboard without a very loud noise and highly pronounced click bothers me after a while - but they're acceptable.

Welly, if you really do like the SK-8115 and aren't messing with us, you will NOT like a KeyTronic. SK-8115s are extremely mushy keyboard with lots of board flex, and a KeyTronic (assuming equal build quality to the past models) is a very dramatic departure from that.

wellington1869:

--- Quote from: kishy;170906 ---If  but as is true for rubber domes in general, you need to crush the thing down with force to get a keystroke to register.

--- End quote ---

as an aside, I always crush the keys anyway when i type, so the whole 'not bottoming out' thing never applied to me personally. I was just more interested some level of sound it makes and in some level of tactility. But yea, if someone doesnt like bottoming, then mechanicals are probably better suited for them.

different strokes...

--- Quote ---
Welly, if you really do like the SK-8115 and aren't messing with us, you will NOT like a KeyTronic. SK-8115s are extremely mushy keyboard with lots of board flex, and a KeyTronic (assuming equal build quality to the past models) is a very dramatic departure from that.
--- End quote ---

well technically what i'm using is the RT7D50. This thread discusses the difference between it and the sk-8115. They look nearly identical but there's actually a noticeable difference. The RT is crisper. It took some doing to find one of these boards on ebay.
Of course "crisp" is relative, i'm not making any absolute claims here.  But yea even on domes, there are total mush ones (which i dont like) and relatively crisper ones (which i dont mind) (and hell some of the scissors boards like the dinovo or ci73 can be substantially crisp so long as you dont mind bottoming).

I mash the keys anyway, and the more crisp dome boards can provide a nice velvety bottom (rather than merely being mush). Thats definitely the case on the topre for instance.

Dome boards can vary so much even in the initial key resistance. I like relatively heavy keys in general and its not hard to find initial-resistances that suit me well even  among dome boards.  (Among mechanicals mostly i stuck with the heavier switches like alps or buckling springs).

Speaking of decent/crisp domes, the ibm thinkpad ultranavs rock too, i could type on those all day.

itlnstln:

--- Quote from: wellington1869;170920 ---different strokes...
--- End quote ---

I see what you did there.

wellington1869:

--- Quote from: itlnstln;170930 ---I see what you did there.
--- End quote ---

tee hee :)

kishy:
I didn't, but now I do.

And you royally trashed my quote when you quoted me lol, "If but as is true" lmao

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version