Author Topic: [IC] TMO50 keyboard  (Read 159836 times)

Offline lizardsticks

Re: [IC] TMO50 keyboard
« Reply #400 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 16:56:26 »
Let's just move to 4chan and funder can keep sending us nsfw pics of the tmo50

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Offline ALKAHEST

« Reply #401 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 23:43:03 »
Loving the look of that red PCB. Can't wait for the next update!

Would you consider offering a fully built option (switches/LEDs soldered in) for the GB?
I'd love to get myself a TMO50, though I'm not confident I'll be able to build one myself (never soldered before, don't want to screw it up).
I don't want to get KUMO over this just because it has hot-swap sockets.
"Doesn't look like anything to me."

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #402 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 00:35:21 »

Would you consider offering a fully built option (switches/LEDs soldered in) for the GB?
I'd love to get myself a TMO50, though I'm not confident I'll be able to build one myself (never soldered before, don't want to screw it up).
Well, I don't think I'll offer this option as GB will have a proxy for US so offering this means putting strain on my proxy. But there's a lot of community members that offer keyboard assembling. I have not checked pricings though. Where are you located?
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline gilmoregrills

« Reply #403 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 02:45:39 »

Well, I don't think I'll offer this option as GB will have a proxy for US so offering this means putting strain on my proxy. But there's a lot of community members that offer keyboard assembling. I have not checked pricings though. Where are you located?

Learn to solder! The level of skill you need to solder a keyboard from a kit is not super high and if it's for personal use then tbh you don't need to worry about how neat it is as long as it works.

I'd suggest getting like a little macropad kit or something cheap to practice on and learn! It's a super useful skill to have.

Offline parityb1t

• 60% or less \m/
« Reply #404 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 03:26:44 »

Still puts on smile on my face everytime I remember this is a EU-based GB :)
Alps64 w/ Orange Alps | SatanGH60 Gartistotles

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #405 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 03:41:19 »

How about Asia? :)

Offline ALKAHEST

« Reply #406 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 06:13:07 »

I'm located in the Netherlands.

Learn to solder! The level of skill you need to solder a keyboard from a kit is not super high and if it's for personal use then tbh you don't need to worry about how neat it is as long as it works.

I'd suggest getting like a little macropad kit or something cheap to practice on and learn! It's a super useful skill to have.

A macropad, I'll definitely keep that in mind! Soldering a board is probably way less intimidating than I am assuming, so something small to try it out on might dissolve my anxiety. Thanks!

"Doesn't look like anything to me."

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #407 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 06:14:28 »

I'm located in the Netherlands.

A macropad, I'll definitely keep that in mind! Soldering a board is probably way less intimidating than I am assuming, so something small to try it out on might dissolve my anxiety. Thanks!
If you're soldering a pcb and it's just switches than it's really simple and basic.

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #408 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 17:09:50 »

Soldering switches is very easy. They are pass trough so you just need to put a drop of solder at each contact, that's it. There are good tutorials at youtube that may help you to get a good idea about it.

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #409 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 17:45:11 »
Since the founders PCB is red what color is the general GB's PCB going to be?
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline Lormania

« Reply #410 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 22:20:41 »
Sounds like Massdrop (now officially the buyer) will keep things like they are now and not change things for a while so we should be good.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #411 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 22:22:53 »
It seems that the GB for our beloved TMO50 can be hosted at GH, with no forseable risks.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #412 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 23:04:56 »
Since the founders PCB is red what color is the general GB's PCB going to be?
Well, red is definitely one of the nicest colours so it's probably gonna stay for the GB too. :)
Sounds like Massdrop (now officially the buyer) will keep things like they are now and not change things for a while so we should be good.
It seems that the GB for our beloved TMO50 can be hosted at GH, with no forseable risks.
Yes, long live MDxGH. Nice to see our life's spared for now. :D

Offline Lormania

« Reply #413 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 15:13:25 »
Just wondering if the beginning to mid July GB date is still the plan?

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #414 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 02:46:05 »
How about Asia? :)

I should look into it. Hadn't thought about it previously but it does make sense.

Just wondering if the beginning to mid July GB date is still the plan?

I'm still waiting on "founder" boards as well colour samples for the real GB. There was some delays with anodization so hopefully that gets done next week. After then it's still about a week for shipping boards from the factory to founders. So unfortunately it's not looking like mid of July anymore. I've tried to nudge the factory but they're super busy and there's some waiting time. I can share something cool though with you so you know it's moving along. Received this photo just this morning. :) And yes, that's a polycarbonate top...

« Last Edit: Sat, 07 July 2018, 02:50:30 by funderburker »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #415 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 12:44:54 »
Interested in a PC top. Is it going to be a GB's option?

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #416 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 18:18:05 »

The factory was really reluctant to make the PC top due to fears of warping during machining. Some of the people in the founders edition bought one anyway just to see how it would turn out. I wouldn't bet on them being available for the general GB though.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 July 2018, 18:40:59 by BobCarltheThird »
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #417 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 18:22:09 »

The factory was really reluctant to make the PC top due to fears of warping during machining. Some of the people in the founders edition bought one anyway just to see how it would turn out. I wouldn't bet on hem being available for the general GB though.

Yeah, that makes sense. Alu would be great, though. No worries.

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #418 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 22:37:32 »

The factory was really reluctant to make the PC top due to fears of warping during machining. Some of the people in the founders edition bought one anyway just to see how it would turn out. I wouldn't bet on them being available for the general GB though.
Sad face.

Understandable though.

Offline cucgach

« Reply #419 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 23:51:05 »
No MD please :( Because it does not ship to my country *cry in the corner*

Btw, I prefer Alu top and PC bot for led diffuse effectiveness :)
Current: Filco TKL Majestouch | TX60 antique brass | NIU40 silver | H360 burgundy | tr.mk wooden 60 | Imperial Hue 60 | Tofu 65 silver | Tofu WKL navy | Gergo Kit: black PCB | Space65 gray/silver | VN66 Black
Future: none
Past: TinaC HHKB gray | TX84Se titan gray | Leopold 660M white | GSX96 R2 purple | Rama M60-A lake | 0.01 Z70 silver | E7-V1 MAO | Rama M6-A | TMO50 green/poly | HB85 black/gray | TX108se titan gray | Typewriter68 ceramic white | Think6.5 frost poly

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #420 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 00:43:36 »
Yeah, we'll have to see how the poly tops come out and everything but it's more an experiment right now so I don't guarantee it being a GB option.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #421 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 18:24:53 »
Yeah, we'll have to see how the poly tops come out and everything but it's more an experiment right now so I don't guarantee it being a GB option.

I would love to buy an additional poly bottom if they are available in the gb

Offline Niahi

« Reply #422 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 22:33:17 »
Depending on price I might need to pick two of these up if possible, but that sage colour is calling to me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #423 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 09:36:03 »
Depending on price I might need to pick two of these up if possible, but that sage colour is calling to me.

+1, I may need two as well. My daily drivers are two now. One at home. One at the office. I should have the same with the TMO, if I want to master the new layout. Therfore, I am hoping for this to be affordable, enough to be able to get two.

Offline Tyson

« Reply #424 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 15:28:07 »
This will be one interesting board! I can't wait!

Offline Treasure

• Industrial Designer / Inventor / Maker
    • Design & Eng
« Reply #425 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 16:25:51 »
Really like the 4 buttons bar on the left, very original

Offline SteffeMK

« Reply #426 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 17:01:26 »
Will this have a limited order quantity, and also any updates?

Skickat från min SM-N950F via Tapatalk

Offline Niahi

« Reply #427 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 11:36:55 »
Yeah I also need two for the same purpose, need those silent switches at the office.

Offline Lormania

« Reply #428 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 11:47:55 »
I thought I would be the only one getting 2 haha.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #429 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 12:11:49 »
The OP may consider a discount for orders of two or more.  :p

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #430 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 13:41:10 »

Poly bottoms WILL be available 100%. Poly tops probably not as it's done more as an sample run. We'll have to see...

+1, I may need two as well. My daily drivers are two now. One at home. One at the office. I should have the same with the TMO, if I want to master the new layout. Therfore, I am hoping for this to be affordable, enough to be able to get two.

I thought I would be the only one getting 2 haha.

The OP may consider a discount for orders of two or more.  :p

Show Image

Yeah I also need two for the same purpose, need those silent switches at the office.

Well, if don't see why I couldn't offer two boards or parts for a single person. Also quantity drives the manufacturing costs down so that's your discount. :D I'm more than happy to offer two boards if that's what you are planning to order. :)

Will this have a limited order quantity, and also any updates?

From the discussion and I must say quite active thread I'm reconsidering the possible max quantity of boards (not the 30 boards I've mentioned in OP) but if demand shoots over the max projected quantity I will try and deliver it in my humanly efforts without sacrificing quality. Speaking of updates - I'll post an update in the next post. :)

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #431 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 13:47:19 »

Poly bottoms WILL be available 100%. Poly tops probably not as it's done more as an sample run. We'll have to see...

nice.

Offline Lormania

« Reply #432 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 13:51:46 »
Looking forward to that update post!

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #433 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 13:53:35 »
I have great news! Sample or the "founder" run has been manufactured and will be with my contact early next week. After that they'll send me better photos of all the parts and check for quality. If all is well, it'll be on it's way to founders and with my proxy the week after next. I still need to see all the GB colour samples though and will share those too once I receive photos.

On more updates - I'm still working on finding a PCB manufacturing and checking prices so I can find the best deal possible. As there is mostly SMT components I would like to deliver pre-soldered PCBs for you all.

Please check some photos from what I've received:

More

Offline saucybulgogi

[IC] TMO50 keyboard
« Reply #434 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 14:11:59 »
I think this’ll be my first high end 40% board. Renders and photos look great!

Edit: Did you offer the founders boards to the public and I just missed it? How’d that work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #435 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 14:22:45 »

Edit: Did you offer the founders boards to the public and I just missed it? How’d that work?

In the early stages of IC I had a form up for collecting info about what features, materials and colours people would like to be see. I also included a part for "tinkerers" that would be fine with testing this board out as in the beginning I thought this would be a more "amateur" project and will I'll have a bunch of prototypes to offer to people varying in random 3d printed cases and some ****ty pcbs.

After the IC got traction I had enough applications and I did a bit of RNG magic and people research and found a test or a founder group that were active in the community and the IC as well just had the replies in the form I found suiting for a "tinkerer". It was low key and people were notified personally. We've been working on this since about start of May I think to get all the details down, talk over design choices and refined everything. Also just the manufacturing took way longer than expected (order made in end of May with a "due date" on 20th-ish of June).

So it was public in the sense all founders are people that were selected and not just friends. Now I would like to say I see these people as close online friends and they've been very involved in this project becoming a reality thus far.

Offline kakan

« Reply #436 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 17:48:50 »
I have never enjoyed small form factor keyboards under 60%, but this definitely caught my eyes. Especially for it being compatible with Alps. Good like with the GB!

Offline SteffeMK

« Reply #437 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 19:19:07 »
Depending on the price, I'm in on this

Offline saucybulgogi

« Reply #438 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 19:52:33 »

In the early stages of IC I had a form up for collecting info about what features, materials and colours people would like to be see. I also included a part for "tinkerers" that would be fine with testing this board out as in the beginning I thought this would be a more "amateur" project and will I'll have a bunch of prototypes to offer to people varying in random 3d printed cases and some ****ty pcbs.

After the IC got traction I had enough applications and I did a bit of RNG magic and people research and found a test or a founder group that were active in the community and the IC as well just had the replies in the form I found suiting for a "tinkerer". It was low key and people were notified personally. We've been working on this since about start of May I think to get all the details down, talk over design choices and refined everything. Also just the manufacturing took way longer than expected (order made in end of May with a "due date" on 20th-ish of June).

So it was public in the sense all founders are people that were selected and not just friends. Now I would like to say I see these people as close online friends and they've been very involved in this project becoming a reality thus far.

Oh wow that’s really cool! Your and all the founders hard work is greatly appreciated!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #439 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 18:35:08 »
I've been eyeing this for a while, and now I've got to say I'm definitely interested. This is a perfect opportunity to use my NOS Alps (caps are going to be a problem, though).

Offline cucgach

« Reply #440 on: Sun, 15 July 2018, 03:56:09 »

My regret that I know this project way too late :(
Current: Filco TKL Majestouch | TX60 antique brass | NIU40 silver | H360 burgundy | tr.mk wooden 60 | Imperial Hue 60 | Tofu 65 silver | Tofu WKL navy | Gergo Kit: black PCB | Space65 gray/silver | VN66 Black
Past: TinaC HHKB gray | TX84Se titan gray | Leopold 660M white | GSX96 R2 purple | Rama M60-A lake | 0.01 Z70 silver | E7-V1 MAO | Rama M6-A | TMO50 green/poly | HB85 black/gray | TX108se titan gray | Typewriter68 ceramic white | Think6.5 frost poly

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #441 on: Sun, 15 July 2018, 11:50:14 »
Hi. You should be OK. Only †he "founders" have the keyboards so far.
The Group Buy has not started yet. Keep watching.  :)
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #442 on: Sun, 15 July 2018, 11:53:51 »
Hi. You should be OK. Only †he "founders" have the keyboards so far.
The Group Buy has not started yet. Keep watching.  :)
No, even founders doesn't have the boards yet. The boards are manufactured but still in the factory. Please don't misinform people. :D

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #443 on: Sun, 15 July 2018, 11:55:01 »
Sorry!
Watching this with great interest. :)
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline cucgach

« Reply #444 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 08:44:49 »
Waiting patiently for the GB to go-live..

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Offline gilmoregrills

« Reply #445 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 14:06:10 »
lying on a beach checking this thread for updates and seeing those case parts is so cool!! Very very exciteddd

Hope the GB isn't too limited, and if it is pls give a little notice so we can prepare to try and snag one  :p

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #446 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 14:44:52 »
Will the plates allow switch tops removal?

Offline Rubbermilitia

« Reply #447 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 09:05:53 »
Very neat little board. If the price ends up in the budget realm I'm in

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #448 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 13:13:52 »
Have you considered making a hotswap PCB for the default layout?

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #449 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 14:34:12 »
lying on a beach checking this thread for updates and seeing those case parts is so cool!! Very very exciteddd

Hope the GB isn't too limited, and if it is pls give a little notice so we can prepare to try and snag one  :p

Sorry!
Watching this with great interest. :)

Very neat little board. If the price ends up in the budget realm I'm in

Waiting patiently for the GB to go-live..

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It's close guys, factory is about to ship all the samples!

Will the plates allow switch tops removal?

Yes, plates are designed with switch top removal in mind. Also the ultra open home row is naturally supporting that! :D

Have you considered making a hotswap PCB for the default layout?

I actually have but it won't happen for this GB round. Have thought about it and will start working on it once I have time to play around.