Author Topic: Model M connection options  (Read 977 times)

Offline bettablue

• Geeks with a Grudge. Gotta Love'em
    • All Things DOS
Model M connection options
« on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 11:55:28 »
I know, it's been a while since I've last graced myself of the pleasures of keyboard geekdom that is Geekhack, but I haven't forgotten you in the least.  In another forums web page, http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/forum.php, I have been telling people to come here for information relating to vintage keyboards and their use with newer , and not so new computers.  Recently though, a question was raised about several options for using IBM model M keyboards with different machines, and different methods of connecting them to computer that have no PS2 connection.  So, I wanted to get your opinions on these two thoughs.  

1.  Some people have mentioned that the Model M is self switching, so that using it with, let's say, an IBM 5170, PC AT is normal, because the 5170 was the 1st computer that came with the Model M keyboard.  However, by simply connecting it to older computers like an IBM 5150 PC, or 5160 PCXT they keyboard will automatically switch itself to work with the XT style electronics.  If that's the case, then those who have more than one Model M can use one with their older PCs, like my own personal IBM 5150 Personal Computer.  

2.  Connecting a Model M to a computer with no PS2 connection.  There seems to be some confusion there about why or why not, a model M wob't work with just any PS2 to USB  adapter, and seem to think that the "Blue Cube" isn't really needed.  Some in the other groups have mantioned using a powered USB port and an PS2 to USB adapter.  Others mentioned installing a PS2 card into one of the computers internal PCIE expansion slots.  While I know by reading some of the threads on the subject that using the "Blue Cube" is one of the best solutions, some of these others might also be viable options.  

The reason I brought these thoughts here is that while logically speaking, these all seem to be pretty good.  Gowever, logic doesn't always mean that something is inherantly correct.  I would like to take some answers to these questions back to the other forum so that some of the confusion can be sorted out.  I would like your thoughts and insights on why these would, or would not be good available options.  

Thanks much.  I know you will get me pointed in the right direction.  You always have.
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

-----------------IBM Think!---------------------

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Model M connection options
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 12:53:17 »
I have several of the ultra-cheap white "Y" USB connectors with purple and green female PS2 plugs, and they have never failed to successfully connect a Model M, except to a laptop running on battery power. I imagine that this is a power issue, not a connectivity issue, since plugging the laptop in to line current fixed the problem.

However, I have not tried this on more than a half-dozen computers, XP, 7, and Ubuntu Linux, so it was not an exhaustive study.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"