Author Topic: swill's minimal case design  (Read 127441 times)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Re: swill's minimal case design
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 14:07:22 »
Nice.

Have you though about a thin layer of sticky rubber underneath the wedge?  That would keep the keyboard absolutely still on a desk.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #101 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 14:21:17 »
Nice.

Have you though about a thin layer of sticky rubber underneath the wedge?  That would keep the keyboard absolutely still on a desk.

- Ron | samwisekoi

I basically did that with my 40% case (kind of by accident).  I built the case expecting to put the bottom metal plate on again when I was done.  Then I tested it with just the PCB in the silicon case I made and it felt so good I just left it like that...

Here are some pics of that.  I will update the OP later...

73060-0

73062-1

73064-2

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #102 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 21:08:37 »
I'm designing a gamepad with some subset of a 36-key matrix, and I'd very much like its profile to match a keyboard, which means a wedge shape.  Cost is very much an issue, so CNC and similar methods are right out.  But YOUR design concept could work very well; certainly much better than any of the acrylic sandwich designs running around.

But what acrylic does have in its favor is cost.  I wonder if there is a way to get the wooden wedge made cheaply from plastic. You could have a piece of acrylic or aluminum to hold the PCB, so structural strength would not be needed for the wedge itself.

We do need to find a more, um, attractive form of the silicon layer, however.

Does it come in basic black?

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #103 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 23:00:39 »

For myself I think the hazard-orange is part of the charm of the whole thing. I very nearly made something like this for my Ergodox (links in the IC thread I started, IIRC). Then I sorta roped myself into buying stainless layers instead. Thanks, JD ... I'd have done that if he hadn't written up the spacers.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #104 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 07:21:55 »
I'm designing a gamepad with some subset of a 36-key matrix, and I'd very much like its profile to match a keyboard, which means a wedge shape.  Cost is very much an issue, so CNC and similar methods are right out.  But YOUR design concept could work very well; certainly much better than any of the acrylic sandwich designs running around.

But what acrylic does have in its favor is cost.  I wonder if there is a way to get the wooden wedge made cheaply from plastic. You could have a piece of acrylic or aluminum to hold the PCB, so structural strength would not be needed for the wedge itself.

Does it come in basic black?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Yes, it comes in different colors and black is one of the available colors. I can recommend durometer and silicon types if you have questions. I have been testing lots of different options.

As for the wedge. I recommend getting it done in wood on a band saw. You can build a jig to give you the angle you need. I still need to do this for my case prototyping.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #105 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 07:24:32 »

For myself I think the hazard-orange is part of the charm of the whole thing. I very nearly made something like this for my Ergodox (links in the IC thread I started, IIRC). Then I sorta roped myself into buying stainless layers instead. Thanks, JD ... I'd have done that if he hadn't written up the spacers.

Ya. I am excited to make my ergodox case. Thanks for the GB so I could get a minimal case. :)

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #106 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 08:00:42 »
I think I'll be ordering a Sprit 60% white pcb, and I really like the idea of putting it on to a 'topless' case like the ones pictured here.  Could use more info about the silicon sheets too!

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 09:54:01 »
I think I'll be ordering a Sprit 60% white pcb, and I really like the idea of putting it on to a 'topless' case like the ones pictured here.  Could use more info about the silicon sheets too!

Ok. I will get more details about the silicon in here.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #108 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 10:24:10 »
I think that even I will be able to handle making a case with the acrylic/silicon pad design.. Can order a piece of acrylic cut to size in w/e color, just need to get the silicon pad and then drill/thread some screw holes?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #109 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 22:49:43 »
Added the most minimal case possible to the OP.  This is the case I am currently rocking on my 75%.

Teaser...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #110 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 07:11:11 »
Really digging that case swill, nice job :D

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 19:13:38 »
Really digging that case swill, nice job :D

Ya, I am really enjoying this case.  I do like the ones that I put silicon in, but for some reason being able to see all the details on the underside of the board is really pleasing.  It kind of showcases your work and makes it easier to appreciate.  Super simple case, but so gratifying.  :)

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #112 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 08:58:46 »
That case is beautiful! Very nice work.

Also, that's one happy USB Cable  :D :D