Author Topic: Looking for a cheap 75% keyboard, please help me find the right one!  (Read 5474 times)

Offline killyou

Hi guys. I used to own CM Novatouch TKL and while I enjoyed the experience and wasn't bothered by the bottoming up clack I decided it was too big and too expensive for me. I was looking around for smaller boards but with arrows and F1-F12 keys. I stumbled upon 75% layout and I'd like to try it out as it seems to be the best one for me. I narrowed down the choice to the following 3 models, but they all have some good and bad sides. I was wondering if you had any experience with these boards or at least switches and could give me some insights. Please bear in mind that I'm aware that the switches in these boards are nowhere near Cherry MX. Also if there are any other cool keyboards in ~50$ range smaller than TKL let me know, maybe there will be something else more suitable for me.

1. Ajazz AK33

+ the best looking keyboard in my opinion
+ floating keys design
+ no blank space, everything covered with keys
+ nice font
+/- weird layout and custom size keys which will make hard to find replacements. On the bright side it makes the board look cool
- possible downside - Zorro switches?
- black keyboard has a silver mounting plate

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1LknILVXXXXa_aXXXq6xXFXXXN/Ajazz-Geek-AK33-Backlignt-Edition-Mechanical-Keyboard-Blue-Switch-Gaming-Keyboards-for-Tablet-Desktop-Hot-Original.jpg

2. E-element ZK88

+ black keyboard has a matching mounting plate
+ possible upside in comparison to Ajazz AK33 - Outemu switches? (are they any better than Zorro?)
+ floating keys design
+/- I'm not sure about the look due to the weird font I guess. Even if Drevo Gramr doesn't have floating keys I might like it better, hard to say
- blank space between some keys (left arrow and R alt, F keys etc)
- weird font and keys with double funcion feel "crowded"

https://cdn.shoppingkaki.com/0001-jpeg-xlarge-view-f87385a08485790687e19caae49f821197cb3c4b-747472-640-430

3. Drevo Gramr

+ best layout
+ no black space on the board, not a lot of double function keys
+ possible upside in comparison to Ajazz AK33 - Outemu switches?
+ looks ok
- no floating keys design

http://the-gadgeteer.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/drevo-gramr-01-e1472823300245.jpg

Another thing, I use the keyboard 95% of the time for typing and 5% for gaming. I enjoyed Novatouch "topre" for both but I was wondering which switch color should I get now. I'm working at home so no one will be irritated by the blue switch (except me hah, I will found out soon, I have another cheap TKL board coming to me next week, something Metoo ...) but on the other side linear black switch would be closer to Topre?

So, what are your thoughts? Thank you very much in advance!

BTW I don't care about the backlit as I've never used it in my entire life, not even once.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 February 2017, 12:58:13 by killyou »

Offline KHAANNN

Re: Looking for a cheap 75% keyboard, please help me find the right one!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 16:01:19 »
After reading your post, I decided to buy a Drevo Gramr myself, for $40, worst case scenario, it would make a stylish keycap holder, the only downside is those 1u bottom row keycaps, 2x 1.5U and it would be perfect
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Tactile

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 16:36:57 »
Can you tolerate PS/2? Is 2kro acceptable? If so, to just try 75% on the cheap why not buy one of these? Genuine MX blacks, Fully backlit in red, and these are built like tanks since they're designed for mobile use. TG3 are the company behind the Deck brand keyboards.

[EDIT]
And PBT keycaps.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 February 2017, 18:11:10 by Tactile »
REΛLFORCE

Offline killyou

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 17:03:21 »
Can you tolerate PS/2? Is 2kro acceptable? If so, to just try 75% on the cheap why not buy one of these? Genuine MX blacks, Fully backlit in red, and these are built like tanks since they're designed for mobile use. TG3 are the company behind the Deck brand keyboards.

I wouldn't use it due to PS/2 and 2kro but it would be awesome to source the switches for a replacement. Unfortunately they don't ship it to Poland.

After reading your post, I decided to buy a Drevo Gramr myself, for $40, worst case scenario, it would make a stylish keycap holder, the only downside is those 1u bottom row keycaps, 2x 1.5U and it would be perfect

What made you choose Drevo if I may ask?

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 17:15:31 »
This turns PS/2 to USB with programmability: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69169 (with a Teensy)

Yet, although it's a grand keyboard, the TG3's number row seems too non-standard

These 75%'s interested me too as I could put on some of my unused GMK's and make mash-up's with them, and maybe even use them from time to time

killyou: Drevo interested me as it's minimalist with no branding and a semi-standardish layout, Ajazz seems better indeed, yet, for those Row1 Esc and Del keycaps, there are no alternative keycaps that I know of, the only solution would be to use DSA/XDA keycaps/blanks, and I prefer Cherry profile keycaps
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 17:17:05 »
If you are going to use the default keycaps, just go with Ajazz, I use 1.5/1.25/1.25/1.25 arrows on an 60%, 1.25/1.25/1.25/1.25 arrows on a 75% would be pretty nice, if it didn't have non-standard top row keycaps, I would choose that one too

Offline snarfbot

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 17:19:27 »
I got the z88 and it's real nice, good tactility not so noisy. It's got nice rubber feet, the cable is detachable and can be routed through the right or left as necessary. The lock keys light up green which is kinda cool. The typeface on the keys is ugly tho as you mentioned but the keys are otherwise pretty good they don't wobble much or rattle when you run your hand across them. Feels good man.

Offline Primuds

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 31 March 2019, 10:09:31 »
Was looking for a programmable 75% Wondering if the z88 is programmable?