Author Topic: [SHIPPED] Nexus Alps slider, Nexus Top Housing  (Read 160548 times)

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.
Re: [Production] Nexus Alps slider, Nexus Top Housing
« Reply #450 on: Tue, 25 September 2018, 09:30:11 »
Update:

Samples should ship either tonight or tomorrow depending on how the samples match the specs. So hopefully I get them this week...I am sorry for the delay but they are not the fastest at getting things done, apparently 14 days means closer to 21.

Thanks again for the updates! No need to worry aobut them taking too long. Let's hope they get quick to you :D

I agree. At this point, don't worry about time. Turning out correct and meeting spec is far more important at this point. I think at this point we all just want to see a good quality product that meets specs get turned out.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #451 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 16:00:41 »
Update:

Got the new samples in! First note, they mixed up the colors so the housings are purple and the sliders black, looks funny but cool at the same time but still wrong... So pictures will be a bit misleading.
204449-0

The Great news...the housings feel great with an OG alps slider, like really, really good. A SKCM Brown slider fits almost exactly and it has zero wobble (think space invaders wobble, that good) and other sliders fit really well and it improves them because brown was the largest slider made. I am super happy with the fixes and they have no issues from what I can see, so the $1,600 was well spent on those and you will not be dissapointed.

The not so great news...the sliders still have issues that the manu caused. There is a draft angle on the sides that is not in the design which really sucks, so they need work still. They also wobble more than I would like (shooting for perfection here) and I think it is mainly due to the shorter area that the housings contacts to stabilize as they sliders are the exact same dimensions. And some of the sliders also have some mold filling issues that weren't present on the last iteration of the mold so I don't know what is wrong there.

Even worse news...the rep is off until 10/1 and the factory is closed all next week. So nothing can be done to fix the issues for a while. This part pisses me off the most because they already took much longer for the last fix than they were supposed to and now we have to wait even longer for them to fix this again.

Offline oluigenuma

« Reply #452 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 16:08:16 »
Are you sure that the wobble can be decreased further? Because Alps have some wobble on them and I am concerned that at a point the slider get stuck

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #453 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 16:14:43 »
Are you sure that the wobble can be decreased further? Because Alps have some wobble on them and I am concerned that at a point the slider get stuck

Wobble can be reduced on the nexus sliders but not for OG sliders. Brown alps are literally as tight as can be(for the tighest housings) and they slide very easily.

How much can I reduce it? I don't know actually, it may be the limit already for how much I can remove but it isn't nearly as stable as I envisioned originally, they wobble like cherry switches.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #454 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 17:38:10 »
Glad the is some good news here. Must be really frustrating for you. All we have to do is wait, but you're the one doing all the work. Hope this can get sorted out eventually.

Offline garbo

« Reply #455 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 20:26:45 »
How much can I reduce it? I don't know actually, it may be the limit already for how much I can remove but it isn't nearly as stable as I envisioned originally, they wobble like cherry switches.

Do you think that extending the edges of the slider bottoms up around the stem (in the style of Kailh's box switches) would have helped with stability? Not that it's really helpful to consider alternative designs with hindsight.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #456 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 20:34:21 »

Do you think that extending the edges of the slider bottoms up around the stem (in the style of Kailh's box switches) would have helped with stability? Not that it's really helpful to consider alternative designs with hindsight.

That is how it was originally, but a few manufacturers, from the first quotes I got, said they wouldn't be able to do it so I went and changed it along with other things and just ran with that because I wouldn't have to get a much more complicated mold made. To do the one with sides I would have spent another $2k-3k easily for the initial mold.

Would they help? Most likely. Would they be worth the cost? Probably not.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #457 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 21:37:37 »
Second update for today:

Just checked clicky switches and they sound good...that is all.

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #458 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 06:43:27 »
glad to see some progress, even if it's with problems hahah
Not saying that there was no progress before!

The housings look awesome, I like them with rounded corners.

I hope the manufacturer accept their fault this time with the sliders so you don't need to spend even more...
They seem kind of clunky, messing up things like which color on what part, but oh well.

As always, thanks for the little updates! I'd appreciate some bigger or better pictures, some light would improve them a lot, and if you could, a short video to hear the click with the sliders and a regular switch.

Thanks for all your work!

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #459 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 07:09:04 »
Purple housings look cool!

What's the status of the stab inserts?

Offline gbchk

« Reply #460 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 12:12:23 »
Second update for today:

Just checked clicky switches and they sound good...that is all.

Sooo...no more double click?

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #461 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 20:46:10 »
Purple housings look cool!

What's the status of the stab inserts?

The housings being purple is growing on me...would need to make a bottom housing the same color for it to look better honestly, because it looks odd with a black bottom. But it is definitely different! Maybe in the future I can do custom crazy color housings if people want it, could even do rainbow housing sets like a VW Golf Harlequin.

Sorry forgot to put a picture in the post...I will update tomorrow when I have light. Still crappy pictures because the best I have is my S5...
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 September 2018, 20:55:32 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline Vizir

« Reply #462 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 21:37:04 »
Is it still possible to get in on the GB? Or will there be extras to purchase when it's done?

Offline waldorf120

« Reply #463 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 09:59:34 »
I purchased extra sliders and housings to help the group buy go through.  Hit me up when they ship and I'll sell you some at price.

Offline Vizir

« Reply #464 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 10:01:22 »
Sweet. Thanks!
I purchased extra sliders and housings to help the group buy go through.  Hit me up when they ship and I'll sell you some at price.

Offline under.pk

« Reply #465 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 21:42:41 »
Sad I havnt join the GB because at that time i can't afford both stem and housing.
Now I'm in love with my Orange Alps but I can't use my beloved GMK Oblivion.

Anyone have extra left can offer me :D

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #466 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 15:50:19 »
Sad I havnt join the GB because at that time i can't afford both stem and housing.

Similar to waldorf, I also ordered a bunch to help get this to higher MOQ's. Contact me when this ships and we can work something out.

Offline under.pk

« Reply #467 on: Thu, 04 October 2018, 10:32:53 »

Similar to waldorf, I also ordered a bunch to help get this to higher MOQ's. Contact me when this ships and we can work something out.

Cool! Thank you.

Offline pmsingchicken

« Reply #468 on: Thu, 04 October 2018, 16:30:28 »
Can I start the line for people who want extras?

Offline lazyfart

« Reply #469 on: Thu, 04 October 2018, 21:27:14 »
Yes please. Extras make me happy.

Offline soakedcardinal

« Reply #470 on: Sat, 06 October 2018, 17:18:14 »
I'm also in for extras . . put me at #3 haha.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #471 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 13:39:40 »
I also bought some more to help, maybe we should start a list or something

Offline raptorzoz

« Reply #472 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 14:00:10 »
Ive already sent some people who bought extras private messages, but add me to the list as well if anyone is making it.

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #473 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 15:15:37 »
Have you measured the stems on the slider samples with calipers to see how closely they match the expected dimensions?  In light of the recent issues with Kailh Box switches, that's probably worth checking.  Is there a measured drawing showing the specified dimensions and tolerances for the sliders?

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #474 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 15:32:11 »
Have you measured the stems on the slider samples with calipers to see how closely they match the expected dimensions?  In light of the recent issues with Kailh Box switches, that's probably worth checking.  Is there a measured drawing showing the specified dimensions and tolerances for the sliders?

The manufacturer measures them and sends me the info, they use much more accurate measurement equipment than calipers(which aren't that accurate in most use cases), so I know what the dimensions are per cavity in the mold.

And I have to supply a drawing including the tolerances for the manufacturer anyways, but don't want to share it publicly. All of them are either 1.28mm or 1.29mm and that decision was made long before the issue with the box switches came to light, I was trying to undershoot the BOX spec because I didn't want the stem to be that large and stretch caps, thankfully I went lower because of what transpired.

I will check GMK soon as I only have PBT MX caps atm.

EDIT:

Just tested with a GMK blank I had it a bag.

Does it stretch the cap? Sadly, yes it does, there are visible stress marks on the cap.
Does it make them loose on cherry mx switches? No, the cap is still tight on a mx red switch even after putting the cap on the nexus slider ~30 times. It is not nearly as tight, but it doesn't fall off or move on its own accord and still takes a bit of effort to remove.

It does suck but since the whole box switch issue happened along side this, it was impossible to predict or correct for. I decided 1.3mm +- 0.02mm way before the post for cracking was made, and even after the "fixed" switches showed up the mold was already machined or being machined and there was really no way to change.

Should you be worried? Honestly I don't think so, as even a normal cherry mx red fits snuggly still. In the future I will make an effort to change this, but seeing as I already had to reach out to get the money to make the last changes, there is no money left to do so now as I make nothing off of this GB.

TL;DR: Yes it stretched, but smaller stems still fit well, not enough stretch to worry.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 October 2018, 16:28:33 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #475 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 01:19:30 »
Thanks for the update.

As for extras, I'd like to be on said listing for just 20x more sliders and housings, as I might be using an Alps TKL instead of a 60%.

Offline raptorzoz

« Reply #476 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 09:34:58 »

The manufacturer measures them and sends me the info, they use much more accurate measurement equipment than calipers(which aren't that accurate in most use cases), so I know what the dimensions are per cavity in the mold.

And I have to supply a drawing including the tolerances for the manufacturer anyways, but don't want to share it publicly. All of them are either 1.28mm or 1.29mm and that decision was made long before the issue with the box switches came to light, I was trying to undershoot the BOX spec because I didn't want the stem to be that large and stretch caps, thankfully I went lower because of what transpired.

I will check GMK soon as I only have PBT MX caps atm.

EDIT:

Just tested with a GMK blank I had it a bag.

Does it stretch the cap? Sadly, yes it does, there are visible stress marks on the cap.
Does it make them loose on cherry mx switches? No, the cap is still tight on a mx red switch even after putting the cap on the nexus slider ~30 times. It is not nearly as tight, but it doesn't fall off or move on its own accord and still takes a bit of effort to remove.

It does suck but since the whole box switch issue happened along side this, it was impossible to predict or correct for. I decided 1.3mm +- 0.02mm way before the post for cracking was made, and even after the "fixed" switches showed up the mold was already machined or being machined and there was really no way to change.

Should you be worried? Honestly I don't think so, as even a normal cherry mx red fits snuggly still. In the future I will make an effort to change this, but seeing as I already had to reach out to get the money to make the last changes, there is no money left to do so now as I make nothing off of this GB.

TL;DR: Yes it stretched, but smaller stems still fit well, not enough stretch to worry.

Could we manually sand them down, or is that simply not effective, and not precise enough for a consistent key feel? For later group buys would you get corrected molds, and if so would they have to be completely remade?

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #477 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 11:30:38 »
Could we manually sand them down, or is that simply not effective, and not precise enough for a consistent key feel? For later group buys would you get corrected molds, and if so would they have to be completely remade?

You could try sanding or scraping with a razor, not sure which would be more effective. The bumps need maybe 0.02-0.03mm shaved total, so barely anything.

The mold would just be modified, they don't have to start over, but it will likely cost ~$1.5k.

Offline raptorzoz

« Reply #478 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 12:33:07 »

You could try sanding or scraping with a razor, not sure which would be more effective. The bumps need maybe 0.02-0.03mm shaved total, so barely anything.

The mold would just be modified, they don't have to start over, but it will likely cost ~$1.5k.

would the modification happen for V2, or is that unlikely, and Will V2 have the same colours? I think the current blueish purple pantone is stunning, same with the housing ;D

Offline gbchk

« Reply #479 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 11:46:16 »
So some SA caps from SP for instance are not getting stretched by the stem?

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #480 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 13:43:07 »
So some SA caps from SP for instance are not getting stretched by the stem?

I have never owned an SA set, nor do I plan on it, so I can't really test that.

Offline raptorzoz

« Reply #481 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 14:04:10 »
Found this tutorial for shaving sliders:
, it is for kaihl box switches and how to make them not stretch keycaps, but it should apply, when the GB ships I will also purchase a few extra outside of the ones I need (if i have the cash), and will do some testing on them regarding what the best method of shaving off those 0.01mm is, if anyone is interested that is.

Offline gbchk

« Reply #482 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 12:51:30 »
OP, have you made a decision as to doing R2? Also, any update on production/ship dates for R1?

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #483 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 13:05:07 »
Just something to kee an eye on for shaving those stems when this all finally comes to fruition...

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #484 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 13:56:40 »
Update:

Okay so I got samples last night for the corrected slider(they didn't even tell me they sent them, so it was a surprise to me).

Sliders are much better now but the stem issue is obviously still there because that is on me not them, had I known about the kailh keycap issues before I would have be able to do something.

As for the housings for some reason GMK cap stems catch on the opening but this was never present in previous samples which is odd because I actually made the hole larger for the remake...So for now you will have to slightly file the circle opening a smidge(0.05mm may be enough on each side) It sucks but at this point I don't know how it happened even after bringing it up to them they showed me the measurement and it is indeed correct.

So I will be going ahead and ordering as is, I know it sucks but these two small amounts of material are the only thing stopping this from being what I had imagined, in the future when I have capital to actually fix the issues I will, but I am losing money at the moment so I can't afford to do so.

Offline waldorf120

« Reply #485 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 19:36:54 »
Update:

Okay so I got samples last night for the corrected slider(they didn't even tell me they sent them, so it was a surprise to me).

Sliders are much better now but the stem issue is obviously still there because that is on me not them, had I known about the kailh keycap issues before I would have be able to do something.

As for the housings for some reason GMK cap stems catch on the opening but this was never present in previous samples which is odd because I actually made the hole larger for the remake...So for now you will have to slightly file the circle opening a smidge(0.05mm may be enough on each side) It sucks but at this point I don't know how it happened even after bringing it up to them they showed me the measurement and it is indeed correct.

So I will be going ahead and ordering as is, I know it sucks but these two small amounts of material are the only thing stopping this from being what I had imagined, in the future when I have capital to actually fix the issues I will, but I am losing money at the moment so I can't afford to do so.

I support your decision to go ahead with the order.  Make it so.

Offline Anakey

« Reply #486 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 02:32:51 »
Yes please do go ahead, once the builds start coming there should be a demand for a R2 where you can then hopefully recover the costs for the molds from this first round

Offline tron

« Reply #487 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 13:27:56 »
Update:

Do you mind posting a demo video showing how to uniformly file the extra material off? It seems like we would have to risk damaging a cap(under filing) or stem(over filing). Perhaps it would be a better idea to just send R1 participants replacement parts once this turns a profit. I have my doubts removing a precision/uniform amount of material is going to be easy.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #488 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 15:48:16 »
Do you mind posting a demo video showing how to uniformly file the extra material off? It seems like we would have to risk damaging a cap(under filing) or stem(over filing). Perhaps it would be a better idea to just send R1 participants replacement parts once this turns a profit. I have my doubts removing a precision/uniform amount of material is going to be easy.

The stem isn't that sensitive to material removal, I just cut them off entirely using a box cutter(without trying to be careful about damaging the stem, just not cutting myself) and the cap still held on pretty well and I doubt the cap could come loose over time even then. The 0.02mm is what would be removed to get it to the spec I wish I had used instead of the current one, V2 will go back to the cherry style ribs because those are known to work without issue and it is a much safer bet(already made the CAD changes)

As for the housing I think the issue may stem(no pun intended...) from the fact the cap was stretched a bit causing it to hit for the first time ever. The way to fix this is with a small jewelers file(round or D shaped) and slightly file the circular opening. I would make a video if I actually had a camera that could focus on the parts, but I only have a galaxy S5 that can't do macro shots at all...
206138-0

EDIT: Just tested and the cap still catches on the switchplate side of the switch, the side without the click leaf protector). Not sure why though seeing as the protector bump doesn't actually touch the top housing at all and the top housing opening is mirrored...I will have to make it slightly larger(again) on V2.

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #489 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 20:54:37 »
Is it catching on the housing or the switch plate itself?

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #490 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 20:58:32 »
Is it catching on the housing or the switch plate itself?

Housing, You can file that part and it no longer catches, I have done it to many samples without issue so far.

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #491 on: Thu, 25 October 2018, 07:26:56 »
Jewelers file group buy when?

I've been out of the keyboard loop for a couple months, glad to see this is still moving, at least ;)

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #492 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 10:06:41 »

The stem isn't that sensitive to material removal, I just cut them off entirely using a box cutter(without trying to be careful about damaging the stem, just not cutting myself) and the cap still held on pretty well and I doubt the cap could come loose over time even then. The 0.02mm is what would be removed to get it to the spec I wish I had used instead of the current one, V2 will go back to the cherry style ribs because those are known to work without issue and it is a much safer bet(already made the CAD changes)

As for the housing I think the issue may stem(no pun intended...) from the fact the cap was stretched a bit causing it to hit for the first time ever. The way to fix this is with a small jewelers file(round or D shaped) and slightly file the circular opening. I would make a video if I actually had a camera that could focus on the parts, but I only have a galaxy S5 that can't do macro shots at all...
(Attachment Link)

EDIT: Just tested and the cap still catches on the switchplate side of the switch, the side without the click leaf protector). Not sure why though seeing as the protector bump doesn't actually touch the top housing at all and the top housing opening is mirrored...I will have to make it slightly larger(again) on V2.

First things first. As always, thanks for the updates. I do support your decision to order them as they are, as others said. I really hope interest catches and there's an R2, to order more for myself and so you can recoup costs.

So, for the catching issue, could that be the keycap not being centered from the stem? Since it is catching on both sides but not at the same time, even when they are simmetrical, if the stem cap is not centered (or if it's stretched more to one side than other) it could be always touching the same side from the keycap point of view.

Just my 2 cents

Offline lendflat

« Reply #493 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 11:28:17 »
I'm surprised no one is raging that R1 backers are getting the shaft, especially when there is a fix.  Personally i dont care that he is losing money.
R2 will reap the rewards of early backers? That's some.......!

Offline tron

« Reply #494 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 12:05:21 »
I'm surprised no one is raging that R1 backers are getting the shaft, especially when there is a fix.  Personally i dont care that he is losing money.

Lesson learned. If a group buy gets near the 180 day PP protection period then I'm going to request a new invoice to extend protection from this type of situation. I will probably try to sell mine for ~10 percent under GB pricing and not join R2. Zeal needed 4 rounds to work the bugs out of his switches and I suspect Nexus R2 will need further tweaking to get right. I do feel bad for the people that ordered hundreds+ worth of extra parts to get this GB going. I understand Blindassassin "lost money" on the molds, however, it's totally unreasonable to expect to pay nothing when investing in something like this. Like all business ventures, the profits come after the investment.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 October 2018, 17:52:40 by tron »

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #495 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 12:26:36 »

Lesson learned. If a group buys get near the 180 day PP protection period then I'm going to request a new invoice to extend protection from this type of situation. I will probably try to sell mine for ~10 percent under GB pricing and not join R2. Zeal needed 4 rounds to work the bugs out of his switches and I suspect Nexus R2 will need further tweaking to get right. I do feel bad for the people that ordered hundreds+ worth of extra parts to get this GB going. I understand Blindassassin "lost money" on the molds, however, it's totally unreasonable to expect to pay nothing when investing in something like this. Like all business ventures, the profits come after the investment.

I mean, in order for me to fix the molds I would have to have money...when I said I am loosing money it wasn't a front or bull****, I literally have no money, as in my bank account will be $0 after shipping. I lost all profit from the GB, spent all my savings to repair my car and then actually had to borrow more money to keep the GB going, it isn't like I am over here trying to **** people over, I got the short end of the stick as well.

Offline lendflat

« Reply #496 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 12:52:12 »
....next week on CNBC American Greed, desparate man diverts group buy funds to fix his car.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #497 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 12:56:20 »
....next week on CNBC American Greed, desparate man diverts group buy funds to fix his car.

...Leave.

Offline tron

« Reply #498 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 13:12:27 »

Lesson learned. If a group buys get near the 180 day PP protection period then I'm going to request a new invoice to extend protection from this type of situation. I will probably try to sell mine for ~10 percent under GB pricing and not join R2. Zeal needed 4 rounds to work the bugs out of his switches and I suspect Nexus R2 will need further tweaking to get right. I do feel bad for the people that ordered hundreds+ worth of extra parts to get this GB going. I understand Blindassassin "lost money" on the molds, however, it's totally unreasonable to expect to pay nothing when investing in something like this. Like all business ventures, the profits come after the investment.

I mean, in order for me to fix the molds I would have to have money...when I said I am loosing money it wasn't a front or bull****, I literally have no money, as in my bank account will be $0 after shipping. I lost all profit from the GB, spent all my savings to repair my car and then actually had to borrow more money to keep the GB going, it isn't like I am over here trying to **** people over, I got the short end of the stick as well.

I understand where you're coming from, however, it would be perfectly reasonable to open a R1.5 to raise funds like you did when people left this GB the first time. It would have taken a little longer to get things fixed but IMO you would have earned more favor and trust in the community going forward. I realize this is probably water over the dam at this point as you've already submitted the order. I just hope other GB runners don't look at this and think shipping defective parts for R1 is now an acceptable way to get something off the ground.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 October 2018, 13:17:29 by tron »

Offline fireworm

« Reply #499 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 13:31:24 »

I understand where you're coming from, however, it would be perfectly reasonable to open a R1.5 to raise funds like you did when people left this GB the first time. It would have taken a little longer to get things fixed but IMO you would have earned more favor and trust in the community going forward. I realize this is probably water over the dam at this point as you've already submitted the order. I just hope other GB runners don't look at this and think shipping defective parts for R1 is now an acceptable way to get something off the ground.

He needs $1.5k profit on those orders to make it work, on a product that isn't yet delivered, for a relatively minor issue, IMO.  IIRC, housings were almost cut, because getting to just the MOQ practically required donations from many users (see above users selling).

Worst case, he wouldn't raise enough, and that would only delay the project, and we'd be right back where we started.  Easier to ship a minor defect, and then see if there is even enough interest for R2 housings.