Author Topic: [IC] GMK Yugo | GB Live!  (Read 62765 times)

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
Re: [IC] GMK Yugo
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 09:07:03 »
Thanks guys, really glad you like the set!

I made an account just to show interest in this.  I m curious if there are plans to support 40's like the Planck.  Depending on the profile, I could always get the base w/ Zastava kit for mods too.  Defo want that Deskpad too!
Depending on how many people show interest, we might consider a 40s kit. However, we're already pretty full on kits as is, so it'll be tough... But it's not out of the question.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 09:21:41 »
ps; I'm an ansi user, love this set, will use it with all the incorrect legends and won't give af...

Imagine caring about correct legends. The ANSI entitlement. Imagine being a keyboard enthusiast and not knowing how to or refusing to touch type in the current year.

LMAO

Offline mountainblocks

• mountainblocks.com
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 09:33:07 »
This is utterly fantastic. I'm all in for this one. Now we just need someone to design a rust prone sheet metal case to go with it.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 09:35:36 »
ps; I'm an ansi user, love this set, will use it with all the incorrect legends and won't give af...

Imagine caring about correct legends. The ANSI entitlement. Imagine being a keyboard enthusiast and not knowing how to or refusing to touch type in the current year.

LMAO

I should run an IC for GMK HOSTILE, so everyone in the modern era can benefit from a keyboard this:

225021-0

Now, with the joke out, let us stress that the creators of this set have done the right thing: the base kit supports "physical ISO" and "physical ANSI" (and both hybrids: "physical ISANSI" and "physical ANSISO") without issue, and that the real change is to start off with the legends for a national layout that isn't US English (or UK English), with an add-on kit that completes the missing bits for it. Since most of the cost will surely come off the custom molds required for the base kit, the "capitalism kit" should be rather cheap, so anyone unhappy about the "incorrect" legends should be able to easily "correct" that "mistake".

Offline hansichen

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 09:37:29 »
i don't know how many times I can mention this, run a ISO only kit see how it does...

It's been stated FROM THE START that ISO is, indeed, currently a minority, yet nowhere as small as some make it to be, nowhere as small as some niche form factors that are supported in the base kit without fuss, and for whom actual support in a base kit is nowhere as expensive as it's made to be.

"Run an X-only kit and see how it does." is a disingenious argument that would be quickly shot down if X were, for example, "65%" instead of "ISO". So why is it considered valid here? As per "picking up the slack", please read the early posts in the thread about how many differing form factors are supported in a base kit, and note that this is generally considered in the best interests of the whole hobby (except for some people who still insist on treating ISO like the plague... for reasons that are, in the best case, obsolete).
GMK Paperwork was a 40%-only set that ran and reached MOQ and shipped.
And you don’t see people complain about separate 40% kits, do you?
“Run an ISO-only GMK set (not kit) to prove the user base size” is a great idea that nobody will do because it’s more work than just typing “ISO users are huge believe me. Huge!”.
I unironically love this.
Above was what I posted in that “ne ISO avail” thread.
Let’s do this.
That said, I don’t see the orange color in any of the kit?

There was actually already a German only set in 2016 which barely reached moq but was produced by GMK. And there is GMK WoB in German which was financed by Candykeys. Both of them actually support full iso-de with modifiers in German as well.

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 09:39:48 »
This is utterly fantastic. I'm all in for this one. Now we just need someone to design a rust prone sheet metal case to go with it.

Could we do a convincing rusty-looking paint job instead? I mean, this is the kind of thing that NEEDS to survive for a long time.  :thumb:

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 09:49:03 »
Price estimates would help.  While I see the humor in the capitalism set (and actually would have no problem always paying a lil extra for ISO support in any sets since that's the focus of some of the discussion here) the issue I have is that these sets often run around 130 USD and addon kits around around 25 to 30 USD so to get something that looks the way I want I'm paying ~150-160 USD?
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline Full

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 10:12:50 »
Price estimates would help.  While I see the humor in the capitalism set (and actually would have no problem always paying a lil extra for ISO support in any sets since that's the focus of some of the discussion here) the issue I have is that these sets often run around 130 USD and addon kits around around 25 to 30 USD so to get something that looks the way I want I'm paying ~150-160 USD?

Welcome to the life as an ISO-user?...
Hi!

Offline jonowarren94

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 11:27:23 »
Any chance of getting the '@ and #~ keys somewhere  for UK compat, maybe to the capitalism kit?

Love the whole concept btw, awesome!
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 August 2019, 14:47:12 by jonowarren94 »

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

•  Post Reporting Timeout
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 11:43:31 »
~
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 April 2024, 18:50:19 by FearsomeCubedWarrior »

Offline norb

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 12:06:53 »

i don't see any issue here tbh. you'll get physical ANSI support in base kit, no need to get the capitalism. as a german the first thing i learned after getting into this hobby was, that i can forget about correct legends in 99% of all groupbuys and i'm totally ok with it.
ofc i can only speak for me but i like to buy sets for aesthetic reasons, with novelties and all, because that represents the designers vision. and to this day i still regret not getting the cyrillics kit back in 2017 when GMK Yuri R1 got released.

depending on my funding situation in november i'm totally down for this, even if i don't dig the colors that much, but just to support our european mech bois and the idea you're bringing to life! :thumb:

Offline alexbarb

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 12:13:20 »

The above example is still more relevant to the antiqua (with what in the Italic style). If you do not trust me, then try to consult with native speakers involved in font design. Good luck with the project! ;)

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 12:15:06 »
You guys are so laser focused on this ANSI vs ISO debate it's ridiculous.  I think price estimates would help the interest check.  That's all.  If this is going to be some weird posturing of '**** ansi' then I'll wait 6 months until someone re-runs the same "colourway"
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline audiosl4ve

• Just slave
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 12:40:13 »
You guys are so laser focused on this ANSI vs ISO debate it's ridiculous.  I think price estimates would help the interest check.  That's all.  If this is going to be some weird posturing of '**** ansi' then I'll wait 6 months until someone re-runs the same "colourway"

Just be little paitent, price estimates will be revealed. No need to be overdramatic

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 13:14:45 »
The reason ics aren't posted with pricing immediately is because they are looking for kit feedback before reaching out to gmk. Gmk doesn't let you continuously ask for quotes, and will start charging you for them.

We will ask for quotes when we are confident in the kits.

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 13:19:37 »
Makes sense.  I wasn't trying to rush.  Frankly I don't care about timing cause hell I'm still waiting on group buys to deliver my stuff from 2014.  But I figured estimates may ease the tension people would have with having to buy the extra kit.  I'll see myself out -->

Offline kokoon

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 14:44:17 »
Keyset with an attitude, I love it! I really don't need another GMK kit, but I'll get it just to support you guys. Well that, and I'll now actually be able to make one of my boards speak my native language - Slovenian ;)

Signed - once ISO, now ANSI user (because it's too difficult to ISO in mk world)

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 20:51:12 »
Any chance of getting the '@ and #~ keys somewhere  for UK compat, maybe to the capitalism kit?

Love the whole concept btw, awesome!
Genius!
I agree.
This set’s entire premise is hilarious (in a good way).
Let’s keep it that way.

Offline timbaaa

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 23:33:09 »
Very interested :thumb:

Offline mlnr

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 23:50:58 »
heck yes, that desk mat will go very well with rama go-kart

Offline juusu

« Reply #70 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 03:26:58 »
GMK doubleshots with ČĆŽŠĐ, **** yeah! Never thought I'd see the day! I'm IN!!!

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 04:40:35 »
Would you consider going for R0-R5 with this set? Somehow the colorway feels like one that can pull it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 08:13:05 »
Big reply incoming!

We realize that this is the crux of the matter. We would be willing to work around pricing if it came to that, but we hope it won't be necessary since we're forgoing all profits to ensure the kits are as affordable as possible. We will know for sure once we get the first quotes from GMK; as Emir said, that will happen when we feel the majority is happy with the kits. For now though, the basic layout of the kits (ANSI in Capitalism) is definitely staying as it is.

Keyset with an attitude, I love it! I really don't need another GMK kit, but I'll get it just to support you guys. Well that, and I'll now actually be able to make one of my boards speak my native language - Slovenian ;)
GMK doubleshots with ČĆŽŠĐ, **** yeah! Never thought I'd see the day! I'm IN!!!
Živjo! Zdravo! One of my favorite things with this set so far has been meeting new Jugo peeps who are in the MK community :D Glad to have you guys on board!

- The Yugo 45 kit has an R1 \| key, but I think that should be another Ž (Z with caron) key. The R1 \| should be moved to the capitalist kit. Same goes for Ж in the Zastava kit (or am I mistaken?).

- The Capitalism kit needs two "Alt" keys (1.25U and 1.5U), to replace the "AltGr" keys in capitalist keyboards (even if "Gr" is the start of "Greed", oddly enough).
We're aware of this. We decided to go with just a R1 \| because we felt the other options wouldn't be used very frequently (neither by us nor others). It helps cut a few keys. Nice catch, though.
Similar reasoning applies to the "Alt" keys.

- Yugo 55: is a numpad comma within the realm of possibility?
Not a bad idea! I'll add it to my things-to-consider list. Thanks for your feedback!

I'd only replace the 1u Super keys with something else. Super is one letter too large to properly fit onto a 1u cap. It looks cramped and not pretty.
I think 1u Super looks fine. We were originally considering System for 1.25u, 1.5u (we think the molds already exists; waiting on confirmation from GMK) and Sys for 1u. If we can squeeze it into the budget, we might go that route after all!

The above example is still more relevant to the antiqua (with what in the Italic style). If you do not trust me, then try to consult with native speakers involved in font design. Good luck with the project! ;)
I see why you would think it's antiqua, but we actually use the modified forms regardless of style. Look up болгарица or болгарская кириллица, it's a related concept. I'm a native Serbian speaker and am into typography. Thanks! :)

We've had a couple of requests for this. The Capitalism kit would be the spot to put them, yeah. However, the problem is that in order to support ISO-UK properly, we would need four extra keys, and we're really trying to keep Capitalism down, if you know what I mean.

Also, I love one of the comments we got regarding ISO-UK support in the Capitalism kit:
“Because it wouldn't be historically accurate if Americans weren't financing the UK's interests.” :D

Would you consider going for R0-R5 with this set? Somehow the colorway feels like one that can pull it off.
We've had a few requests for this as well. We'll have to talk about it, see if it's something that we would use, consider the practical implications, gauge interest, and then decide if we're going to offer R0 or not. Thanks for the suggestion.

What about making glagolitic your hiragana?
Now this man is asking the real questions :D
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 August 2019, 08:18:57 by constexpr »

Offline fer.real

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 11:18:22 »
I love this set, it's the best one to come out in a long time and I think it will rank with the all-time greats!  I'm a lifetime ANSI user and I think the non-ANSI layout adds to the charm.  I'm definitely in, and might not even buy the capitalism kit.

Kit suggestions:
The Yugo 55 kit has extra keys like the 1.75u Function and the extra (2.25u?) shift that don't seem to fit with a numpad kit.  I think those keys should either go in the base kit or the capitalism kit and the Yugo 55 kit should be kept strictly as a numpad kit.

Edit:
I would also love it if the toy car in the renders came with the deskmat.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 August 2019, 11:20:26 by fer.real »

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

•  Post Reporting Timeout
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 15:36:54 »
~
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 April 2024, 18:50:25 by FearsomeCubedWarrior »

Offline mrkantz

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 17:13:56 »
I love everything about this, definitely in

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 22:05:01 »
Will it be possible to order the deskmat separately?

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 23:02:53 »
I really enjoyed reading through the op.

Yugo=Yugoslavia, who knew.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #78 on: Sun, 25 August 2019, 02:57:26 »
Will it be possible to order the deskmat separately?

Yes it'll be available as a standalone.

Offline EMC Labs

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 25 August 2019, 03:05:42 »
Nice colours  :thumb: but nope.

Offline catamscott

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 13:30:37 »
have been playing around with very similar colors for a while now, glad to finally see these colors in actual nice looking renders! love the inspiration too, looking like a must-buy for me  :thumb:

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 13:32:45 »
Love it. Especially love the "Capitalist Kit"

Offline mimalik

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 07:54:05 »
This set is growing on me, love the turning of tables to have ANSI kit a separate than ISO, never seen a Yugo in Canada to date but love this colour scheme, simple and pleasing on eye.

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 10:20:12 »
I am legally obligated to support awful things, and this is wonderfully awful.

Recommended reading, by the way. https://www.amazon.com/Yugo-Rise-Fall-Worst-History/dp/0809098911

Speaking of the story of the Yugo coming to America, would there be any way to get a cap in reference to Malcom Bricklin?
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline sagadoi

« Reply #84 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 10:44:38 »
Any possible for adding Capitalism kit to base?
Matrix: 1.0 x10 | 1.2 x8 | 2.0 x20 | 2.2 x3 | 2.0 Ver Xmas x2 | Abel x12 | Abel VD x5 | Abel VC | Cain x2 | Mona x5 | Matrix Ti | ProjectFF
Percent: Canoe x6 | Skog x4 | Canoe FE x4 | Skog Lite x2
EVE: Moon x5 | Mira | Mira SE | Meteor x2
Equalz: Zero x4 | Zero.9 EE x7 | Mountain x5 | One x4 | Zero.9 Ti
FOX: Leaf TKL x2 | Time x2 | Orange TKL x2    
TGR: Jane V2 | Jane V2 Ver CE    RAMA: U80A
FMJ TKL x4 | Jer80 x4 | Jermini | Camp C225 x7 | Evil80 x6 |  Evil82 x2 | Mech27 | DolchCR x2 | Triangle x2 | Square x2 | Mars TKL

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #85 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 10:49:49 »
I'm fairly certain the whole point is to not do that lol

Offline aleck

« Reply #86 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 23:12:00 »
Tito would be proud. I dig it.

Offline juusu

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 12:29:01 »
+1 for R0

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 16:24:33 »
R0 is cool. Is it 20 USD / Euro cool at 250 MOQ? To me, no, but I'm sure that's a discussion point. Would love to hear a pair of quotes with and without R0 to get a sense of what it cost.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 17:37:36 »
Sorry cant support this. You are taking the largest group that buys anything keeb related and forcing a child kit on them to have their correct legends. out of principle im out. someone send me a message or something if it gets combined.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 17:45:35 »
Sorry cant support this. You are taking the largest group that buys anything keeb related and forcing a child kit on them to have their correct legends. out of principle im out. someone send me a message or something if it gets combined.

Show Image

Offline Daggerfall

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 06:06:39 »
Very interested!

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 06:28:40 »
Interested.
Will there be novelties?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 08:10:29 »
And I'm kinda serious about glagolitic. Maybe not doubleshot by GMK, but hey, we've had Futhark (first Dye-Sub then doubleshot) and even Vulcanian.

It's a good idea. Definitely not for this set, but it's something to keep in mind for the future, especially for dye-sub PBT. I think the community would dig Glagolitic — it's a really cool, quirky and obscure writing system (especially the angular variety that was popular in these parts). It would make for great dye-sub legends imo.

I replied to a similar question a few messages back:
[...] We would be willing to work around pricing if it came to that, but we hope it won't be necessary since we're forgoing all profits to ensure the kits are as affordable as possible. We will know for sure once we get the first quotes from GMK; as Emir said, that will happen when we feel the majority is happy with the kits. For now though, the basic layout of the kits (ANSI in Capitalism) is definitely staying as it is.

Interested.
Will there be novelties?

Yes, check the OP! We're currently in talks with an artisan, more details to follow soon. Sorry, just realized you were asking about novelties, not artisans.
There are novelty spacebars (front UV printed orange–red–brown stripes like on the Yugo GV Sport) in the Cabrio kit. 1 piece of feedback I'd be interested in hearing is whether you guys think we should include the SPORT text with the stripes as well.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 August 2019, 13:12:08 by constexpr »

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 09:19:39 »

There are novelty spacebars (front UV printed orange–red–brown stripes like on the Yugo GV Sport) in the Cabrio kit. 1 piece of feedback I'd be interested in hearing is whether you guys think we should include the SPORT text with the stripes as well.

IMHO, that would be a tad too much (but WDIKAA).

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 09:22:03 »
Flipped spacebar support

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #96 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 20:03:46 »
Interesting. Let see the final cost and maybe we can talk. I wonder how many would want to use foreign legends just for the sake of exoticism.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 20:10:33 »
Does a RAMA Yugo model car come included?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 20:15:03 »
not the crimson and cream we wanted
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 21:27:49 »
Thanks guys, really glad you like the set!

I made an account just to show interest in this.  I m curious if there are plans to support 40's like the Planck.  Depending on the profile, I could always get the base w/ Zastava kit for mods too.  Defo want that Deskpad too!
Depending on how many people show interest, we might consider a 40s kit. However, we're already pretty full on kits as is, so it'll be tough... But it's not out of the question.

Ortho evangelist here. Can't tell if you do, but if there's a 2u spacebar in the spacebar kit, you'd only need 4-1u keys to support minimum ortho

R2: Out
R3: Data or Read
R4: Shift and Enter
these molds exist

That's it! I hope you will consider adding.

Again, love the theme!