Author Topic: [IC] SKB2 - steel, isolation top mount, powder coated / ETA set!  (Read 285388 times)

Offline ihalatch

Re: [IC] SKB2 - steel case, decoupled plate, powder coated
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 20:34:33 »
More
I really like the "Aperture" powder-coat finish from Norbauer's Heavy 6 series https://shop.norbauer.com/products/heavy-6?variant=8952287887414 ... it might match very well with the industrial design aesthetic of the SKB?!

What do you guys think?

no hammerschlag surface.
can't have too many different surface options, would make the whole GB unmanagable for me, sorry.

Wow, there are so many hammerschlag finishes I just found: red, gold, bluish grey, etc.
https://german.alibaba.com/product-detail/electrostatic-thermosetting-hammertone-powder-coating-60205407325.html
https://german.alibaba.com/product-detail/electrostatic-spray-antique-golden-hammer-tone-finish-powder-coating-1051185040.html

May as well pick just one Hammerschlag finish to replace the boring straight black or straight grey finish.

Some of us like boring gray and black, and that finish just looks like a bad paint job.

I really like the "Aperture" powder-coat finish from Norbauer's Heavy 6 series https://shop.norbauer.com/products/heavy-6?variant=8952287887414 ... it might match very well with the industrial design aesthetic of the SKB?!

What do you guys think?

no hammerschlag surface.
can't have too many different surface options, would make the whole GB unmanagable for me, sorry.

Wow, there are so many hammerschlag finishes I just found: red, gold, bluish grey, etc.
https://german.alibaba.com/product-detail/electrostatic-thermosetting-hammertone-powder-coating-60205407325.html
https://german.alibaba.com/product-detail/electrostatic-spray-antique-golden-hammer-tone-finish-powder-coating-1051185040.html

May as well pick just one Hammerschlag finish to replace the boring straight black or straight grey finish.

Some of us like boring gray and black, and that finish just looks like a bad paint job.
Couldn't agree more !

This looks like a bad paint job? Okay...
Show Image

+1 I like it. Making it matte is even better imo.

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #151 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 20:48:46 »
More

What do you guys think?

no hammerschlag surface.

What do you guys think?

no hammerschlag surface.

Couldn't agree more !

Show Image

Yes, looks like someone spray painted a plastic chair with rattle can paint in cold weather while it was raining.

Just to be clear, it looks bad.

Offline online

« Reply #152 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 06:45:34 »
Noticed the board is sitting on feet. Unlike the OG SKB, which sits on the bottom case.
Any wobble on the prototype case?

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

« Reply #153 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 07:05:58 »
More

What do you guys think?

no hammerschlag surface.

What do you guys think?

no hammerschlag surface.

Couldn't agree more !

Show Image

imo hammerschlag fits old machines made of cast iron. the norbauer case you linked holds some resemblence to those heavy old machinery. so the hammerschlag finish fits there. with sheetmetal it's different, I don't think if would be good fit. also generally i think hammerschlag and its pattern does not scale well with a smaller object like a keyboard. big machinery and larger surfaces is where I would see it making more sense.

so like I said before, not an option here, but I appreciate you reseraching it and the suggestion in genaral.

« Reply #154 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 07:07:05 »
Noticed the board is sitting on feet. Unlike the OG SKB, which sits on the bottom case.
Any wobble on the prototype case?

ZERO wobble.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #155 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 07:14:17 »
... ...
Show Image

imo hammerschlag fits old machines made of cast iron... those heavy old machinery. so the hammerschlag finish fits there. with sheetmetal it's different, I don't think if would be good fit.
also generally i think hammerschlag ... big machinery and larger surfaces is where I would see it making more sense.

Statement of design taste.
Well thought out!
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #156 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 07:15:13 »
Totally agree with your view on the hammerschlag. The scale argument is pretty solid and you could also argue that adding hammerschlag would be like a pleonasm, adding a vintage mechanical heavy duty art direction to something that already says it clearly (steel and screws).

Offline qwertypoiu

« Reply #157 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 08:34:08 »
Totally see the argument against using "hammerschlag" style powder-coat.

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #158 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 10:19:31 »
Has anyone already mentioned a dark green option?
In the spirit of the rama m60 Sage
More
?

« Reply #159 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 10:24:51 »
about the powder coating

here are some details about the powder coating that I haven't mentioned jet. you know already, the prototype in the start posts' pictures has RAL9001. you can see that it hase a somewhat grainy structure. this option is called "Feinstruktur" in german.
here are all available options:
- glänzend / glossy
- matt / matte
- Feinstruktur / slightly grainy structure
- Grobstruktur / grainy and rough texture

for the light color which is supposed to fit cherry classic beige (like mentioned in the start post I'll try RAL9002 next, rendered here) I chose Feinstruktur and I think that is perfect. In the recent renderings I showed RAL7021 (here and there), which goes well with dolch and similar gray themes, Feinstruktur would be a good fit here as well. as third option a more poping/intense color is what many of you would like to see. whatever this will be, glossy is what I think would be nice here. "Grobstruktur", the rougher structure may sound interesting but is more suited for bigger objects and surfaces.

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #160 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 10:38:17 »
Hi PlastikSchnittstelle, do you have any textured sample of the different coatings? Did you simulate it on your renders?

« Reply #161 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 10:40:32 »
Hi PlastikSchnittstelle, do you have any textured sample of the different coatings? Did you simulate it on your renders?

yes, I can show matte and glossy tomorrow :)
in all the renderings I tried simulating Feinstruktur, like the prototype. I just appied a simple bump texture.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 November 2019, 10:42:18 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #162 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 10:41:22 »
Sweet! A glossy popping pastel color could be nice

« Reply #163 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 10:43:07 »
yes, imo that would multiply  :D

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #164 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 10:44:17 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

« Reply #165 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 11:13:35 »
Quite interested in "beige" 60% HHKB to match it with GMK Yugo (if the kit will make it). Bent steel case also should be on par with 70-80s Yugo nostalgia vibes.

« Reply #166 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 12:32:41 »
yeah, I can see that working, the RAL9002 would't be too far off. I would have considered Yugo if it had R0 & R5, not interested in any kit that doesn't offer R0 & R5.

Offline hammerbrotha

« Reply #167 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 14:19:23 »
TKL Render looks great, i'd be very interested in a TKL version.

« Reply #168 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 15:38:23 »
I just realized that "decoupled" does not seem to be the right english word. I translated "entkoppelt" to english, that is "decoupled" but it has a different meaning in english. I see that the term "isolation" is used here on GH. That's the correct meaning. I assume eveyone knew what I meant, though to be clear the plate is isolated. This is done with "Durchgangstüllen", other constructions use gaskets. If I use google translate, it tells me that "Durchgangstüllen" are "grommets". So this means that the SKB2s' plate is "grommet-mounted".

...I just corrected that in the title and start post.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 November 2019, 15:47:26 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline daishan

Re: [IC] SKB2 - steel case, isolation top mount, powder coated
« Reply #169 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 16:18:26 »
I voted for black in the IC, but if a bright neon pink is possible I'd take that in a heart beat. I'm thinking of something like this:
 229839-0

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #170 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 16:28:17 »
I voted for black in the IC, but if a bright neon pink is possible I'd take that in a heart beat. I'm thinking of something like this:
  (Attachment Link)
It's missing a rainbow somewhere. And a licorn, would be perfect.
Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #171 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 19:06:11 »
  (Attachment Link)
It's missing a rainbow somewhere. And a licorn, would be perfect.
What an exquisite taste, indeed

« Reply #172 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 04:44:52 »

yes, I can show matte and glossy tomorrow :)
in all the renderings I tried simulating Feinstruktur, like the prototype. I just appied a simple bump texture.

Glossy sample

Here are two pictures of a sample with glossy powder coating. This specific color is out of question, but it demonstrates quite well that glossy and intense color do multiply :)

229864-0 229866-1
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 November 2019, 05:33:47 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

« Reply #173 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 05:31:54 »
Matte sample

Regarding the matte sample, well I actually did the prototype in two different RAL colors. I only showed the one with RAL9001 so far because I just wasn't pleased with the other one. It is RAL9005 matte. I also don't have a cap set that goes well with this, but I'll show it to you anyway now, so you can get an idea of how matte looks like. It's basically deep black, matte. Sorry, light conditions were bad and no flash. ISO value is too high, that's why the black looks noisier than it actually is. Very suboptimal pictures:

229868-0 229870-1 229872-2

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #174 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 05:35:36 »
Thanks for the samples. Is matte an option you would still considere ?
On the pictures I can see that the matte option is grainy also.Is it like Matte + Feinstruktur ?I'm confused.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 November 2019, 05:40:46 by Senor Coconut »

« Reply #175 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 05:40:42 »
Thanks for the samples. Is matte an option you would still considere ?
On the pictures I can see that the matte option is grainy also.Is it like Matte + Feinstruktur ?I'm confused.

Not entirely sure. Next protos will be RAL9002/Feinstruktur, RAL7021/Feinstruktur a jet undetermined intense RAL color in glossy. I don't see matte making sense.

It is not grainy, it just looks like it because of the high iso value, it is just noise in the picture.
When you google powder coating matte, you can find a lot of examles that might give a better representation than my pictures.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 November 2019, 05:50:08 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #176 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 05:51:25 »
Got it, thanks. But if Matte is out of question, let's wait for the forthcoming protos.

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #177 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 06:12:55 »
Would the TKL be WK or WKL? My vote is for WKL :)

that's the same situation like with 60%. when I decide to make the size, then it is pretty simple for me to offer the top part with different cutouts, in other words standard/WKL/HHKB etc.
so TKL would will be WK&WKL.
:)
Would it be possible to order just one instance of a non-standard top cutout?

« Reply #178 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 06:16:50 »
I'm not sure if I understand the question correctly. Only complete cases will be sold, not single parts. Is that what you mean?

Offline menuhin

« Reply #179 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 06:22:59 »
Flashy color suggestions:

I would suggest GMK RO2 if red is a color in your mind - to match many sets with bright red elements, e.g. GMK Demonic, GMK Honeywell, GMK Red Honey, JTK Red Riot, etc.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #180 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 06:46:27 »
I'm not sure if I understand the question correctly. Only complete cases will be sold, not single parts. Is that what you mean?
sorry, I was unclear. You said accommodating different blocker styles is not difficult, so I was wondering if I could order a special blocker style (standard 60% but with the bottom left and right 1.25u keys missing) version. Like another variant like hhkb, wkl etc but something that probably only I would order. or is it too much work?

« Reply #181 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 07:12:53 »
Understood.
Just making it isn't much work. Manufacturing only one is just too expensive. Also managing too many orders of custom, low quantity versions is something I will definately want to avoid. Offering a few different sizes and versions plus three color options is already quite a challenge.

Offline rinkaan

« Reply #182 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 07:16:31 »
Interested... But for the grommets.. Maybe have 2 sandwiching the pcb,? But the grommets do wear and tear quite fast (rubber degredation), maybe can include some spares...
Brass material with Matt clear coat?

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

« Reply #183 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 07:20:57 »
Interested... But for the grommets.. Maybe have 2 sandwiching the pcb,? But the grommets do wear and tear quite fast (rubber degredation), maybe can include some spares...
Brass material with Matt clear coat?

please look at the pictures. the plate is "sandwiched" by the grommet, two don't make any sense, just look at the pictures. if it wasn't like that it would be wrong to call it "ISOLATION top mount". the PCB isn't mounted in any way, the plate is mounted.

that fact that you use the term "rubber" shows, that you don't...
...sigh, ok, I have tested two different grommet materials. PVC and TPE. both materials have a very long lifetime (depending on the scenario they are used in). I'm leaning towards TPE. this is not just some RUBBER.

in any case, spares will be included.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 November 2019, 07:49:18 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #184 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 07:26:28 »
Understood.
Just making it isn't much work. Manufacturing only one is just too expensive. Also managing too many orders of custom, low quantity versions is something I will definately want to avoid. Offering a few different sizes and versions plus three color options is already quite a challenge.
Understandable. I think I'll just order the regular 65% version you rendered here :)
Or maybe Boardwalk, if it's offered again?

« Reply #185 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 08:06:53 »
Or maybe Boardwalk, if it's offered again?

I still haven't built mine due to the lack of fitting caps. It was quite popular, I have to say. I see this could happen. Maybe even with PCB, I'll contact shensmobile.

Offline rinkaan

« Reply #186 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 08:11:04 »
Sure no worries... Just design per what u think deems fit and I'll just tag along for a purchase when it becomes available. Thanks for explain to a dumb person like me.

« Reply #187 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 08:15:16 »
Sure no worries... Just design per what u think deems fit and I'll just tag along for a purchase when it becomes available. Thanks for explain to a dumb person like me.

sorry, rinkaan, my answer was a bit rude  :-[
no offense, I myself often post without reading through everything before. I think we all do.
hope my answer can be somewhat entertaining/fun to read  :D
 :thumb:

Offline rinkaan

« Reply #188 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 08:20:26 »
No worries.. I'm really not that smart...
But in any case if the whole manufacturing is going thru cold press, maybe other materials can be worth considering since the positive and negative moulds would be largely the same (barring any materials reacting differently during the pressing)..
Was hoping for some materials that tarnishes but doesn't rust... (like aluminum, bronze, brass, and the like)... Kinda like them to age... Beige Is a solid choice too.. Very 1980s (my Era)

« Reply #189 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 08:44:23 »
the manufacturing does not require any moulds. if it would, the case would be very expensive. here you can see how the machines look like that are used for sheet metal bending, they are awesome imo.

rust is not an issue. many people somehow got the idea that a non-stainless just disappears into dust after a few years. if it is treated the right way, I mean it sits on your desk, it's not exposed to intense weather conditions, it's not even outside, it's inside, on your desk! it is also not blank but powder coated, it will not rust (probably not in your or your son's lifetime). already discussed here ;)

the aging, the traces, scratches, all what comes along using an object, yes, I like that as well, it personalizes the object, makes it more yours.

Offline rinkaan

« Reply #190 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 08:59:31 »
Woah... Nice machines! Guess I'm a tad too old to be thinking about 10ton presses with moulds.. :S
Quite informative! Thanks for the links to the video.
Will wait for the GB to run :) hope other colors and / or other materials are and option... (which reminds me I'm sitting in building a version 2 of a wood case...) prolly shld find a day to make one

Offline norb

« Reply #191 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 11:26:42 »
the manufacturing does not require any moulds. if it would, the case would be very expensive. here you can see how the machines look like that are used for sheet metal bending, they are awesome imo.

i love that name, WIRTSCHAFTLICHE STANDARDMASCHINE is as german as it can get  ;D well ok, it's more a description than the name of it.
no matter what color you'll choose at the end, i'm in for a glossy intense one. i'll find a fitting keyset for it^^
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 November 2019, 11:29:44 by norb »

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #192 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 03:45:27 »
Anyone would be interested in a 1800 layout? I sure would be.

« Reply #193 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 06:39:36 »
1800, very few voted for it in the IC form.
but maarten does make 1800 PCBs, so it would be possible. I asked him, we could offer them along a possible SKB2-1800 version.
here you can get an idea of how it would look like:
229918-0

Offline rondg

« Reply #194 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 06:55:22 »
1800, very few voted for it in the IC form.
but maarten does make 1800 PCBs, so it would be possible. I asked him, we could offer them along a possible SKB2-1800 version.
here you can get an idea of how it would look like:
(Attachment Link)

How about the 75%? Are we still gonna use kbdfan's pcb?  ;D

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #195 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 07:03:07 »
65% with macro cluster yes please :P (a la kmini or jer mini).

The downside imo with bigger cases though is that the sound will be more hollow the bigger the footprint becomes.

So the real question imho would be; is there an option that foam for between the pcb and plate could be part of the GB. And/or different plate materials.

« Reply #196 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 07:08:11 »

there will be at least one 75% option. will have to check out available PCB options with offset R0 and nav column. maarten does not have such a design.
a variant for the kbd75 pcb would be a possibility as well of course, but two different 75% options isn't necessary imo.

« Reply #197 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 07:23:24 »
The downside imo with bigger cases though is that the sound will be more hollow the bigger the footprint becomes.

So the real question imho would be; is there an option that foam for between the pcb and plate could be part of the GB. And/or different plate materials.

the 60% protos showed me that the difference between alu and steel is huge. you can really feel the density of the material. I could understand why some would want to put foam inside his SKB1, alu is very lightweight, it's really an unusual metal. but I don't see the need for that in the SKB2, feels completely different. not just because of the different metal but also because of the isolated plate and the different angle adjustment - higher angles don't create a bigger body volume anymore. but we also want to tune our board to the best possible feeling, so even if foam would have just a small influence, we would do it anyway. offering foam with the gb - I don't see this beeing an option, it would just be too much for me to handle I guess.

only a 1800 prototype can tell us how it feels.

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #198 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 08:20:00 »
---

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #199 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 08:25:21 »

there will be at least one 75% option. will have to check out available PCB options with offset R0 and nav column. maarten does not have such a design.
a variant for the kbd75 pcb would be a possibility as well of course, but two different 75% options isn't necessary imo.
As long as a 75 option exists, I'll stay activly focus. I Wouldn't mind getting away from the kbd75 design as mentioned a few days ago (the proper way to do 75, if I recall).
I'm not sure to understand what you mean by with offset R0 and nav column? thx
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 November 2019, 08:27:08 by Senor Coconut »