Author Topic: feedback: necroposting  (Read 7040 times)

Offline phwog_

« on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 11:08:19 »
necroposting is one of the worst things that plagues this website. there is no warning for it when posting, there are no repercussion's for it, people can completely ignore the date (which they do, very often) at which something was posted. there are legitimately people getting mad at posts that are over 3 years old. please at least give a warning when replying to a thread when the original post is older then, say 60 days. but I have seen other forums do 30 days, and that works just fine as well. thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
Re: feedback: necroposting
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 11:27:57 »
necroposting is one of the worst things that plagues this website. there is no warning for it when posting, there are no repercussion's for it, people can completely ignore the date (which they do, very often) at which something was posted. there are legitimately people getting mad at posts that are over 3 years old. please at least give a warning when replying to a thread when the original post is older then, say 60 days. but I have seen other forums do 30 days, and that works just fine as well. thank you for taking the time to read my post.
This is already in place but only for posts older than 120 days. Most of the necros are done by bots also, but I agree that a more prominent warning would make sense!
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 12:27:24 »
This is already in place but only for posts older than 120 days. Most of the necros are done by bots also, but I agree that a more prominent warning would make sense!

Ima necro you so hard

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 13:22:04 »

What sig said. There are already warnings for necro posts, but bots don't really care about those. We could make the warnings appear for less-dated threads, if that makes sense to do. Are accidental necros by humans a prevalent problem? Serious question since I'm not browsing as much as I used to. A user simply responding to an old post is not a problem in my eyes, by the way - it's either that or we have duplicate threads and information is lost.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 04:54:40 »
From what I've seen it's usually a spam account that appears to be human by posting a reasonable reply to the topic which is then edited to add a link a couple of days later.  The problem comes when a real user replies after the 'bot' - it doesn't seem right to delete their reply especially if they're new, but once there's one new reply no-one looks at the date of the previous posts to realise it's old.

A shorter 'old' date and a customised message (old thread about a specific keyboard is a good necro, a 2016 tp4 OT thread not so much...) may not help much but it's worth a try.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 05:41:08 »
necroposting is one of the worst things that plagues this website.
How about people not writing a sentence starting with a capital letter? That is even more annoying.
Did you post here just to start a fight? ;)

This is not Reddit or Twitter, for people with ultra-short attention span. This is a proper forum, for sharing knowledge with each other, and on such old threads can be valid.
Some threads are really old, have been active continuously for many years and have hundreds of posts. Sometimes a long thread runs out of new posts, but that does not make it less relevant.
... and sometimes posting a follow-up post to an old thread that hasn't been updated in a while is valid IMHO if you have something useful and relevant to add.

Most actual necroposting is done by newbies, and by bots. (which are sometimes hard to tell apart. I don't now what you are)
I think a 120 day time limit for when the warning starts is OK. Maybe it should be shortened to 90 days, but I don't think it needs to be shortened further when peoples projects, companies' product cycles or IC-GB-production-shipping-reception cycles have as long durations as they do have.

Offline jamster

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 06:48:05 »
How about people not writing a sentence starting with a capital letter? That is even more annoying.

This was kinda a joke, but I seriously have less problems with necroposting than with people who cannot be arsed to type properly, on a site dedicated to keyboards.

Actually, I have no problems at all with necroposting on this site (perhaps because I don't read old groupbuy or IC threads?). Keyboard technology is not exactly evolving at a blistering speed, the only things really changing are minor tweaks to existing MX switch designs. A five year old post about Topre is probably just as relevant now as a two week old post. Ditto a ten year old post about Model M or Alps.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 07:50:51 »

Ima necro you so hard
:-*
More

This was kinda a joke, but I seriously have less problems with necroposting than with people who cannot be arsed to type properly, on a site dedicated to keyboards.

Actually, I have no problems at all with necroposting on this site (perhaps because I don't read old groupbuy or IC threads?). Keyboard technology is not exactly evolving at a blistering speed, the only things really changing are minor tweaks to existing MX switch designs. A five year old post about Topre is probably just as relevant now as a two week old post. Ditto a ten year old post about Model M or Alps.

5 years ago ergo-clears was the best switch ever made and zeal-switches were not consider overpriced. Makes you think  ;D

Offline phwog_

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 09:21:34 »

This is not Reddit or Twitter, for people with ultra-short attention span. This is a proper forum, for sharing knowledge with each other, and on such old threads can be valid.
Some threads are really old, have been active continuously for many years and have hundreds of posts. Sometimes a long thread runs out of new posts, but that does not make it less relevant.
... and sometimes posting a follow-up post to an old thread that hasn't been updated in a while is valid IMHO if you have something useful and relevant to add.

Most actual necroposting is done by newbies, and by bots. (which are sometimes hard to tell apart. I don't now what you are)
I think a 120 day time limit for when the warning starts is OK. Maybe it should be shortened to 90 days, but I don't think it needs to be shortened further when peoples projects, companies' product cycles or IC-GB-production-shipping-reception cycles have as long durations as they do have.
as for the punctuation thing, sorry mate, I don't give a ****. we can disagree on this point, I'm not gonna change your opinion, and you sure aren't gonna change mine. so just leave it at that ;D

NOBODY said old threads can't be valid, new information can be brought to the table, and people can answer unanswered questions. the problem is the bots/newbies. this isn't my first forum buddy. I know this isn't like "reddit or twitter" or whatever. you really didn't have to read THAT far into my original post man.

necroposting IS a problem on this website, I can tell that even in my limited time on this website. the fact you had to nitpick small details and come at me like you did is sad really. so I ask you, did YOU come to start a fight ;D

Offline yui

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 10:03:52 »
i feel that bot necroposting is a problem yes, but the main problem is the bot, not the necroposting, yeah there is a few clueless peoples answering very old threads too but that is relatively rare, and more commonly peoples who find a post of someone with the same problem and so ask if there ever was a solution or asking question on the subject, and that seems like a good thing, instead of having 100s of thread on the same subject, consolidating information is a good thing. that is my take on it, i am not sure anything can be done to prevent clueless peoples from necroposting, that anything should be done to prevent consolidation, and there was a lot done to reduce the bots already.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline jamster

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 10:36:03 »

as for the punctuation thing, sorry mate, I don't give a ****. we can disagree on this point, I'm not gonna change your opinion, and you sure aren't gonna change mine. so just leave it at that ;D

NOBODY said old threads can't be valid, new information can be brought to the table, and people can answer unanswered questions. the problem is the bots/newbies. this isn't my first forum buddy. I know this isn't like "reddit or twitter" or whatever. you really didn't have to read THAT far into my original post man.

necroposting IS a problem on this website, I can tell that even in my limited time on this website. the fact you had to nitpick small details and come at me like you did is sad really. so I ask you, did YOU come to start a fight ;D

The problem isn't necroposting, the problem is douchebags on the internet with zero self-awareness.

Edit:
this isn't my first forum buddy.
Really? Is this winning approach how you usually approach a new forum?
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 May 2021, 10:40:30 by jamster »

Offline phwog_

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 11:17:19 »

The problem isn't necroposting, the problem is douchebags on the internet with zero self-awareness.

Edit:
this isn't my first forum buddy.
Really? Is this winning approach how you usually approach a new forum?
"winning approach" dude this isn't a game of cricket.

maybe I'm just more accustomed to more "toxic" forums, but I see no problem in how I "approached" my first posts.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 14:33:44 »

QFT

maybe I'm just more accustomed to more "toxic" forums
Yea that sounds about right.

So OP what do you want to get out of this thread by replying? We already have a 120 day rule in as stated before and the majority of necroing cant be controlled by simple measures. I also fail to understand how its the "worst thing that plagues this website", if you agree that old info can be relevant?

Offline phwog_

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 16:00:42 »

QFT

maybe I'm just more accustomed to more "toxic" forums
Yea that sounds about right.

So OP what do you want to get out of this thread by replying? We already have a 120 day rule in as stated before and the majority of necroing cant be controlled by simple measures. I also fail to understand how its the "worst thing that plagues this website", if you agree that old info can be relevant?
you twisted what I said. I said "one of", take that how you will. I reply to everybody out of habit I guess. if you quote me, just as a general rule, I will respond. that's all there is to it. have a nice day