Author Topic: Hack for determining which keys I can live without for a 65%  (Read 999 times)

Offline F eq ma

Thought I would share a hack... I work on a full sized keyboard.   I wanted to build a TKL, but the choices are slim now a days, since i want to hand wire with a custom plate.   So, I need to seriously consider the 65%.   I touch type and by now it is all muscle memory.   I really don’t have an idea what keys off to the right hand side I use on a daily basis.   Thought about a key logger, but company frowns on that.

Here is my solution to help determine if I use a key during the day.  When you reach for key and it is not there, it makes you take note.   Determined the only key so far that I miss is the delete key :)  Tomorrow, the page up and down keys!

267748-0
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 May 2021, 20:43:17 by F eq ma »

Offline F eq ma

Re: Hack for determining which keys I can live without for a 65%
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 May 2021, 20:40:21 »
Someone please teach an old dog how to post a photo.  Thought I selected the attachment to be full image inline...also ironic that I am doing all of this off my ipad....whose keyboard sucks.

Offline Rubbermilitia

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 May 2021, 20:48:18 »
If you edit your post, you'll see that the forum probably automatically added a width and height attributes to the [img] which you can adjust. Or you could post an imgur link.

I like this idea lol. But personally, anytime I wonder if I could use a new layout, I just look for a budget option in that layout, buy it, and trial by fire  ;)

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 08:10:58 »
The goal really is to have more keys take up LESS space, OR, space that does not conflict with the mousing surface.

Ergodox + 3 more rows of keys above the main set would be amazing.

Offline F eq ma

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 14:47:34 »
The goal really is to have more keys take up LESS space, OR, space that does not conflict with the mousing surface.

Ergodox + 3 more rows of keys above the main set would be amazing.

My actual goal is to hand wire a board for kicks, but i cannot seem to find a good TKL plate without having someone water jet one.   So decided to look at other configurations.   The 65% is about the barest that my work flows can handle.    Thought this hack would verify that the 65% would be doable.   I have yet to reach for the page up / down keys yet.

I tried a split board for a bit.   Never got used to it.