Author Topic: R4 Zealio Switch/Zeal60RGB/Zealencio Silencing Clips/Transparent Screw-in Stabs!  (Read 304128 times)

Offline thatsmrdoctortoyou

• Dingo babies
    • IG
Ordered FINALLY!!! Thanks Zeal!

Offline supersoul

ordered 70 78gs can't wait to get em in my hands  :cool:

• Dingo babies
    • IG
So I've got a question which has probably been addressed ad nauseam, but here we go: What leds work best with zealios switches? Also, what are the pros and cons of adding leds inside the switch versus on top of the switch?

I'm planning my first keyboard build and would like to use purple leds. From what I've read, some leds can rub on certain keycap profiles when installed on the switch versus inside the switch. I'll be using GMK keycaps on the board I'm building and definitely don't want any clearance issues. The research that I've done led me to the purple/uv leds here http://www.switchtop.com/product/2x3x4mm-leds. Will these work with zealios switches and if installed on the switch will they rub on GMK switches?

Thanks for your help!  :thumb:

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
So I've got a question which has probably been addressed ad nauseam, but here we go: What leds work best with zealios switches? Also, what are the pros and cons of adding leds inside the switch versus on top of the switch?

I'm planning my first keyboard build and would like to use purple leds. From what I've read, some leds can rub on certain keycap profiles when installed on the switch versus inside the switch. I'll be using GMK keycaps on the board I'm building and definitely don't want any clearance issues. The research that I've done led me to the purple/uv leds here http://www.switchtop.com/product/2x3x4mm-leds. Will these work with zealios switches and if installed on the switch will they rub on GMK switches?

I have heard of cases where 2x3x4mm LEDs still had clearance issues and cases where they did not. My guess is that it's the dimensional tolerances of the LEDs combined with the dimensional tolerances of keycaps. 1.8mm LEDs, however, do not have any clearance issues whatsoever. It also depends which side of the switch the LEDs are installed on. If they are "above" the switch (monitor side), the LED size shouldn't matter. If they are installed "below" the switch (user side), that's where you run into clearance issues.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 October 2016, 01:45:29 by eksuen »

• Dingo babies
    • IG

I have heard of cases where 2x3x4mm LEDs still had clearance issues and cases where they did not. My guess is that it's the dimensional tolerances of the LEDs combined with the dimensional tolerances of keycaps. 1.8mm LEDs, however, do not have any clearance issues whatsoever. It also depends which side of the switch the LEDs are installed on. If they are "above" the switch (monitor side), the LED size shouldn't matter. If they are installed "below" the switch (user side), that's where you run into clearance issues.

Good information here, thank you! I was not aware that you could install leds above or below the switch, is there a difference? Also, do you know why one would install the LED on the inside of the switch versus on top of the switch? It seems like quite a bit of additional work to open each switch and install the led. Thanks again for your help!

Offline eksuen

Good information here, thank you! I was not aware that you could install leds above or below the switch, is there a difference? Also, do you know why one would install the LED on the inside of the switch versus on top of the switch? It seems like quite a bit of additional work to open each switch and install the led. Thanks again for your help!

You do not have to open the switches to install LEDs. Some switches will allow for SMD (surface-mounted device, see SMT vs through-hole technology for PCBs) LEDs, but Zealios do not. Your PCB also has to be SMD LED compatible. The position of the LEDs (above or below the switch) is also dictated by your PCB. The difference is just where the illumination source is. Most shine-through keycaps will have the legends on the upper half (monitor side) of the key, with the exception being boards that have function layer legends on the front of the keycaps. If your LEDs are below your switch, the lighting will look dimmed and a little odd, but the position of your LEDs does not affect functionality. Since you plan to use GMK keycaps, it won't matter where the LEDs are because GMK keycaps are not shine-through.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 October 2016, 10:46:15 by eksuen »

• Dingo babies
    • IG

You do not have to open the switches to install LEDs. Some switches will allow for SMD (surface-mounted device, see SMT vs through-hole technology for PCBs) LEDs, but Zealios do not. Your PCB also has to be SMD LED compatible. The position of the LEDs (above or below the switch) is also dictated by your PCB. The difference is just where the illumination source is. Most shine-through keycaps will have the legends on the upper half (monitor side) of the key, with the exception being boards that have function layer legends on the front of the keycaps. If your LEDs are below your switch, the lighting will look dimmed and a little odd, but the position of your LEDs does not affect functionality. Since you plan to use GMK keycaps, it won't matter where the LEDs are because GMK keycaps are not shine-through.

Ahhh I think I'm getting it. So SMD LEDs for below the switch lighting, through hole LEDs for on top of switch lighting (above or below the switch). Okay, so I'll definitely be installing the LEDs on top of the switch. And it seems that for above/below the switch orientations depend on the orientation of the switch (right-side-up or upside-down)? It looks like there is only one spot for an led to be inserted through switch housing.

Offline eksuen

More

Ahhh I think I'm getting it. So SMD LEDs for below the switch lighting, through hole LEDs for on top of switch lighting (above or below the switch). Okay, so I'll definitely be installing the LEDs on top of the switch. And it seems that for above/below the switch orientations depend on the orientation of the switch (right-side-up or upside-down)? It looks like there is only one spot for an led to be inserted through switch housing.

Correct. The LED can only go in one spot so its orientation is dependent on the switch orientation, which in turn is dictated by your PCB.

Offline Atredl

More

Correct. The LED can only go in one spot so its orientation is dependent on the switch orientation, which in turn is dictated by your PCB.

Zealios also have the ability to install 2x3x4 LEDs inside the switch housing. This allows you to have the color selection of the larger LEDs while also not worrying about clearance issues with Cherry profile (GMK) keycaps.

I did this with my last board since there are no UV/dark purple 1.8 mm LEDs. If you put them inside the housing then you can't install sip sockets since they are occupying the space the sockets would normally go. There are trade-offs but it's good to know all your options.

Offline ntw

More

Zealios also have the ability to install 2x3x4 LEDs inside the switch housing. This allows you to have the color selection of the larger LEDs while also not worrying about clearance issues with Cherry profile (GMK) keycaps.

I did this with my last board since there are no UV/dark purple 1.8 mm LEDs. If you put them inside the housing then you can't install sip sockets since they are occupying the space the sockets would normally go. There are trade-offs but it's good to know all your options.

although it might seem like a good idea but it will be a pain in the ass when you need to remove the LED or desolder the switch for whatever reasons. since the LED is inside the switch, you will have no way to desolder the pins and pull/push the LED up; instead you will have to pull the entire switch out together with the LED
Wishlist: Hungrkey, Creamsicle Skullthulhu, MDMAver Skullthulhu, Goo, Taka

Offline eksuen

More

A quick search turns up UV/purple 1.8mm LEDs for me.

Offline Atredl

More

although it might seem like a good idea but it will be a pain in the ass when you need to remove the LED or desolder the switch for whatever reasons. since the LED is inside the switch, you will have no way to desolder the pins and pull/push the LED up; instead you will have to pull the entire switch out together with the LED

That may be a problem for someone who would like to swap out the plate or something like that but for everything else there is no need to take out the switch bottom. If you use a plate that allows for switch top removal then swapping stems/springs/lubing is still a breeze. I will admit that you should make sure that all the switches work properly before adding in the LEDs (no chattering and all that).

For my situation it was the perfect option. I get to use GMK keys without rubbing, plus I get to use UV LEDs. If an LED fails then yeah I'll have to replace it but other than that I have no plans on desoldering this board and I bet there are other people who do the same.

Please don't take this as an attack (I know I come across that way sometimes) but I just wanted to explain that there are some real positives to putting LEDs inside the switch. Plus sometimes its worth it to suffer a little bit more if it gets you the end result that you are going for. Just my .02

Offline Atredl

More

A quick search turns up UV/purple 1.8mm LEDs for me.

Wow, I could not find those a few months ago. Oh well, what's done is done.

Offline ntw

not at all.. I'm just raising my concerns. :thumb: The older custom keyboards usually come with non-switch-top-removable plate but more and more customs (especially 60%) comes with switch-top removable plate so theres that
Wishlist: Hungrkey, Creamsicle Skullthulhu, MDMAver Skullthulhu, Goo, Taka

Offline Atredl

I'm glad you brought up the older customs. I guess I had been on the 60% train for so long I didn't remember the older stuff that's out there.  ;D These newer parts really spoil you when building.

• Dingo babies
    • IG
Thanks ekusuen, Atredl and ntw for the info. I think I'm going to install the LEDs on top of the switch since I can find UV/dark purple 1.8mm LEDs. It seems like quite a venture to install the LEDs inside the switch, and it does also seem like a big pain to replace the LEDs if they are inside the switch. I really appreciate the help!

Sorry zeal for hijacking your group buy thread!

Offline Spazturtle

You can get little metal tube things which fit in the holes on the PCB for the LEDs which would allow for swapping of LEDs even if they are mounted inside the switches.

These things:

They fit though the PCB and fit flush on top then you solder then on the underside.

Offline forevermadrigal

Will there be drops of the springs in the future? From my understanding, they are custom springs and I want to fine tune the weights of the switches I have coming in  :p it would be great!!

Offline Atredl

You can get little metal tube things which fit in the holes on the PCB for the LEDs which would allow for swapping of LEDs even if they are mounted inside the switches.

These things:
Show Image

They fit though the PCB and fit flush on top then you solder then on the underside.

What would those be called? I'm quite interested in putting those in my next build.

Offline pmck

• Software Engineer

These things:
Show Image

They're called HOLTITEs heres ones that supposedly fit leds, they didn't fit my gh60 pcb though so better do some measurements before you buy.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/6-1437514-6/A107431-ND/2135765

|        IBM M         |      Wasd V1      |   GH60    | KBC Poker | GHPAD |

WANTED:Nada have all I want for now!

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
Will there be drops of the springs in the future? From my understanding, they are custom springs and I want to fine tune the weights of the switches I have coming in  :p it would be great!!
Unfortunately the springs won't be sold separately for the time being.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline renzpwns

• I didn't like money in my wallet anyways.

These things:
Show Image

They're called HOLTITEs heres ones that supposedly fit leds, they didn't fit my gh60 pcb though so better do some measurements before you buy.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/6-1437514-6/A107431-ND/2135765
I think the one you got is for leds. This one should be the one for pcbs https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/8134-HC-8P3/A114359-ND/1151726

Offline Spazturtle

These things:
Show Image

What would those be called? I'm quite interested in putting those in my next build.

The ones I linked are called Harwin PCB Sockets, I found them here: http://www.mouser.co.uk/new/harwin/harwinpcbsockets/

Offline daviswalkers

• HHKB Amature 2
    • Graphic Design Portfolio

These things:
Show Image

Zeal also sells them, most of the time they're in these black casing however he sells them pre-removed.
https://zealpc.net/collections/accessories/products/sipsockets

The ones I linked are called Harwin PCB Sockets, I found them here: http://www.mouser.co.uk/new/harwin/harwinpcbsockets/

Compact-SQ |          VE.A
 65g Zealios    |      78g Zealios

Offline zacheadams

• Friendly Neighborhood Keyboard Enthusiast
I didn't think I'd be getting a new board so soon, but I just ordered 100x 78's, 100x clips, and a 5-pack of stabilizers last night, and I'm super excited!

*fingers crossed*
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 October 2016, 08:30:17 by mer6 »

Offline pace8500

Any idea when the switches will be shipping?

Offline krisst

Any idea when the switches will be shipping?

Nov 2016

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
Hey zeal, ever consider making a hotswapable switch pcb?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
Hey zeal, ever consider making a hotswapable switch pcb?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Pls don't.

Hot swappable PCBs never end up as reliable and solid compared to soldered counterparts.

Offline IonutZ

• Stay awhile and listen
    • SC
Any idea on when you'll be getting more PCBs?

Offline loud_asian

Any idea on when you'll be getting more PCBs?

@ZealPC I wasn't paying close enough attention to GH and the PCB sold out before I could snag one.  I'm sorry if this was already addressed, but do you have an ETA of a second batch?  Ordered 100x 78g and a set of those gorgeous stabs!  Thank you, supreme group buy commander!

Second batch is scheduled for early next year, no dates yet.
EM7 | Nunu | Salamander | RF84u | SS AEK64

Offline Shiftshape

In for some of deez pimpin' stabz, yo!

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Just a notice for those procrastinating - GB pricing will end Saturday midnight (PST), and be adjusted up a bit to "pre-order pricing". This price will remain until the items are on hand, where Retail pricing will kick in.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
If we ordered clear stabs + aristotles + zealios (aka me) will we get them all together?

Also what is the ETA on the first and last of those two?

<3
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
If we ordered clear stabs + aristotles + zealios (aka me) will we get them all together?

<3

Yes, everything will be packed together and shipped as one. ETA is still Nov, should get a more definite date tonight hopefully.

Offline pmck

• Software Engineer

<3

Yes, everything will be packed together and shipped as one. ETA is still Nov, should get a more definite date tonight hopefully.

Was there any updates on pictures of the Stabs?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.

<3

Was there anything in particular you wanted to see? The listing has a few angles of the stabilizers -- hard to make stabilizers look enticing :P

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Sweeeeet, thanks dude :)
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Dominathan

• Too many keyboards? Not enough hands.
Do you have any more of them pictures of the PCB?  I need my fix! 

Offline BAS1C

Was there anything in particular you wanted to see? The listing has a few angles of the stabilizers -- hard to make stabilizers look enticing :P

Not those one ;)

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Do you have any more of them pictures of the PCB?  I need my fix! 

Will have pics of the PCB once I receive it on hand next week.

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Quick update:

Gateron has notified me that Zealios are expected to ship out on November 15. Zealencios and Transparent Stabilizers will ship out November 21, both via DHL Express.

I'll be receiving the Zeal60 proto PCB next week. PCBs should also be ready around mid-November as well.

Offline jackie321304

Just a notice for those procrastinating - GB pricing will end Saturday midnight (PST), and be adjusted up a bit to "pre-order pricing". This price will remain until the items are on hand, where Retail pricing will kick in.

Just curious what are the items that will become pre-order pricing? Stab, clips, switches??? Thanks

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.

Just curious what are the items that will become pre-order pricing? Stab, clips, switches??? Thanks

Everything in the GB - switches, stabs, silencing clips.

Offline jackie321304

Everything in the GB - switches, stabs, silencing clips.

If I want to add something can I send you the email? I already place to order few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dominathan

• Too many keyboards? Not enough hands.
Will have pics of the PCB once I receive it on hand next week.

Yes!  Thank you so much!  I can't wait!

Offline pmck

• Software Engineer

<3

Was there anything in particular you wanted to see? The listing has a few angles of the stabilizers -- hard to make stabilizers look enticing
Haha. Just seriously excited for them to arrive and need a fix

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline waqar

Lets see which one ships first. Zeal or Whitefox?

Offline eksuen

Lets see which one ships first. Zeal or Whitefox?

Yes.