Author Topic: Prototyping: Custom extended numpad (31 key)  (Read 180462 times)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: Prototyping: Custom extended numpad (31 key)
« Reply #350 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 15:35:25 »
Based on my current life situation, I think that we can call this one completed.

Please refer to this project instead: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61306.0

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #351 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 15:52:30 »
Two years too late. Crap. And this looks like the ultimate numpad for me. Just in case there's a round 2, I'd be interested. Otherwise, I'll check out that last link.

Dag nabbit...

Offline Data

« Reply #352 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 20:47:03 »
Is it still possible to build one of these using the files available in this thread?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #353 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 05:33:10 »
Yes, it is possible, though not for beginners.

Offline Data

« Reply #354 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 15:01:34 »

The hardest part appears to be the PCB.  You shared the gerbers (thanks for that) -- isn't that all I need to get some boards printed?

I can have MOZ-style cases cut locally so that's no big deal.  Do you think he would share his DXF files with me?

This is exactly the kind of project I need right now.  :D  Note: this is strictly personal use.  I'm not looking to start a GB or anything.

Offline Data

« Reply #355 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 15:35:44 »

I'm looking at the Gerbers and it appears everything is here.  Does the version you shared here include the missing GND you noted on Page 4?

Also, would you be willing to share a short parts list?  Mainly I'm just looking for the Molex part number for the MUSB connector so I can order it, and if there's a specific flavor of ATmega32U4 I should be shopping for.

Sorry to keep bumping an old project.  Just looking for information... Thanks.  :)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #356 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 20:42:34 »

I'm looking at the Gerbers and it appears everything is here.  Does the version you shared here include the missing GND you noted on Page 4?

Also, would you be willing to share a short parts list?  Mainly I'm just looking for the Molex part number for the MUSB connector so I can order it, and if there's a specific flavor of ATmega32U4 I should be shopping for.

Sorry to keep bumping an old project.  Just looking for information... Thanks.  :)

I believe the final posted version includes fixes for the known problems.  I think I can find a parts list, let me look....

ATmega32u4 microcontroller   (1)   ATMEGA32U4-AU-ND
USB Connector   (1)   WM5461CT-ND
10uF Tantalum Cap 1206   (1)   399-3684-1-ND
Crystal 16MHz   (1)   535-10907-1-ND
MMBT2222A NPN transistor   (3)   MMBT2222ATPMSCT-ND
22 ohm Resistor 0603   (2)   P22GCT-ND
1k Resistor 0603   (1)   P1.0KGCT-ND
10pF Capacitor 0603   (2)   1276-1027-1-ND
0.1uf Capacitor 0603   (4)   445-1316-1-ND
1uF Capacitor 0603   (1)   445-1604-1-ND
Diode 1206   (31)   1N4148W-FDICT-ND
470 ohm Resistor 0603 for LED   (31)   P470GCT-ND

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #357 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 20:44:17 »
hmm, you know, I may have some unused PCBs in my basement.  I'll give a look around

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #358 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 21:50:14 »
hmm, you know, I may have some unused PCBs in my basement.  I'll give a look around

YES, PLEASE!

Offline Data

« Reply #359 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 22:04:07 »

Well that would be crazy in the best way.   :cool:

Thanks for the parts list.  It's more than I anticipated needing.  Good to know.

Offline Data

« Reply #360 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 19:04:21 »
Anything turn up in the basement?  :p

Offline Data

« Reply #361 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 12:59:28 »
Rise, thread!  RISE!

Forgive the bump.  Did any leftover PCBs ever turn up, metalliqaz?  Still interested in making one of these someday.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #362 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 13:00:04 »
Rise, thread!  RISE!

Forgive the bump.  Did any leftover PCBs ever turn up, metalliqaz?  Still interested in making one of these someday.

You and me both, brother!

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #363 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 13:28:39 »
Yes, I have two of them, but they aren't built.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #364 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 13:42:39 »
I'll also upload the case files this weekend. Promise.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #365 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 13:52:51 »
Wasn't there a problem with the pcb not fitting or something?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #366 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 13:56:48 »
I can wait, if necessary.  :cool:

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #367 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 14:38:07 »
Wasn't there a problem with the pcb not fitting or something?

That was for the first round, that I sent, I had correct the issue, and should have the corrected version somewhere, just have to clean up the file and make it presentable.

Offline Data

« Reply #368 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 16:19:37 »

Does that mean the controller isn't soldered?  I'd be willing to do that part myself (though I've never done one before) if you don't have the time.  The PCBs were going to be the greatest expense/headache for me (just getting them fabricated) so if you've got one you'd be willing to sell me you'd be doing me a huge favor and saving me a lot of time already.  But if you've also got the components and you want to stick them on there I won't argue.  :D

I'm just thrilled that you found them.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #369 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 19:18:47 »

Does that mean the controller isn't soldered?  I'd be willing to do that part myself (though I've never done one before) if you don't have the time.  The PCBs were going to be the greatest expense/headache for me (just getting them fabricated) so if you've got one you'd be willing to sell me you'd be doing me a huge favor and saving me a lot of time already.  But if you've also got the components and you want to stick them on there I won't argue.  :D

Yes, they will require all the SMD soldering to put together.  The controller is tough for newbies, but that isn't even the biggest problem.

The initial run of boards was defective.  There were three issues.
  • The silkscreen on the back wasn't printed, so there is no guide for which parts go where.  This is fairly easy to work around by using the gerber plots as a guide.
  • The LED driver transistors are wired wrong.  This means that the parts have to be installed upside-down by bending their pins.
  • The GND pads on the clock chip aren't connected.  This is the hardest to work around.  Some of the solder mask has to be scraped off near one of the pads, then a bridge constructed with some small wire.  It's ugly and easy to make a mistake.

The result is that I doubt that anyone else will be able to build these things.  Unfortunately, work keeps me very busy and my time typically goes for $50/hr.  I'll try and get these out if I have time, but at the very least I'd have to sell them for something like $45.  (a substantial discount)

Offline Data

« Reply #370 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 20:24:26 »

Yes, they will require all the SMD soldering to put together.  The controller is tough for newbies, but that isn't even the biggest problem.

The initial run of boards was defective.  There were three issues.
  • The silkscreen on the back wasn't printed, so there is no guide for which parts go where.  This is fairly easy to work around by using the gerber plots as a guide.
  • The LED driver transistors are wired wrong.  This means that the parts have to be installed upside-down by bending their pins.
  • The GND pads on the clock chip aren't connected.  This is the hardest to work around.  Some of the solder mask has to be scraped off near one of the pads, then a bridge constructed with some small wire.  It's ugly and easy to make a mistake.

The result is that I doubt that anyone else will be able to build these things.  Unfortunately, work keeps me very busy and my time typically goes for $50/hr.  I'll try and get these out if I have time, but at the very least I'd have to sell them for something like $45.  (a substantial discount)
Did you say these problems were fixed in the most recent gerbers? It might still be easier to just have a few boards printed. Would you be OK with me selling a few excess PCBs at cost to help cover the expense of having them made?  The controller soldering would still be a challenge. I dunno what to do.  :p

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #371 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 20:27:53 »
I'm...still down for one.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #372 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 19:17:51 »
Did you say these problems were fixed in the most recent gerbers? It might still be easier to just have a few boards printed. Would you be OK with me selling a few excess PCBs at cost to help cover the expense of having them made?  The controller soldering would still be a challenge. I dunno what to do.  :p

The problems were fixed, yes.

If a new run is made it should be done as a Group Buy rather than for profit.  However, don't underestimate how much work it takes to build these.  Just getting all the correct parts together is a chore, and the soldering is tedious.  I struggled to fill just a few orders when I did it.

Offline Data

« Reply #373 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 18:20:28 »
Yeah I wouldn't do anything for profit. If I had to get new PCBs printed I'd probably make 5-7 to get the lowest price per board and sell 3-5 of them at cost just to keep my out of pocket expenses down. Last time I looked at having some boards made it was the same overall price to make 7 as it was too make 1.

I know there are some companies who'll solder components for you too. I wonder if that's worth the trouble. Just spitballing at this point. I didn't come into this thread expecting you to do any work.  :p

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #374 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 19:07:02 »
:)

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #375 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 13:36:56 »
I'm down for one!  This looks like a cool project!

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #376 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 13:46:14 »
I'm down for one!  This looks like a cool project!
Sorry, this project is dead. :( Maybe the GH36 can work for you?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #377 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 14:35:37 »
I have one, that I never got around to building. I don't have the case with me anymore. It's just like it came from metalliqaz. If anyone is interested, PM me.

Offline littlleguner

« Reply #378 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 19:18:03 »

I believe the final posted version includes fixes for the known problems.  I think I can find a parts list, let me look....

ATmega32u4 microcontroller   (1)   ATMEGA32U4-AU-ND
USB Connector   (1)   WM5461CT-ND
10uF Tantalum Cap 1206   (1)   399-3684-1-ND
Crystal 16MHz   (1)   535-10907-1-ND
MMBT2222A NPN transistor   (3)   MMBT2222ATPMSCT-ND
22 ohm Resistor 0603   (2)   P22GCT-ND
1k Resistor 0603   (1)   P1.0KGCT-ND
10pF Capacitor 0603   (2)   1276-1027-1-ND
0.1uf Capacitor 0603   (4)   445-1316-1-ND
1uF Capacitor 0603   (1)   445-1604-1-ND
Diode 1206   (31)   1N4148W-FDICT-ND
470 ohm Resistor 0603 for LED   (31)   P470GCT-ND

I am new here and I have a few questions regarding this prodjcet. Recently I used the gerber files and printed the board. Now I realized that I have to solder each component. Which components do i need to buy if I am not planning on having leds? And did you buy the components from Digikey? Also, could you post a picture or a guide so i know where to sodder each part. This is my first time doing a project like this. I have 4 extra board if anyone wants to buy them.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #379 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 08:50:47 »

ATmega32u4 microcontroller(1)ATMEGA32U4-AU-ND
USB Connector(1)WM5461CT-ND
10uF Tantalum Cap 1206(1)399-3684-1-ND
Crystal 16MHz(1)535-10907-1-ND
MMBT2222A NPN transistor(3)MMBT2222ATPMSCT-ND
22 ohm Resistor 0603(2)P22GCT-ND
1k Resistor 0603(1)P1.0KGCT-ND
10pF Capacitor 0603(2)1276-1027-1-ND
0.1uf Capacitor 0603(4)445-1316-1-ND
1uF Capacitor 0603(1)445-1604-1-ND
Diode 1206(31)1N4148W-FDICT-ND
470 ohm Resistor 0603 for LED(31)P470GCT-ND

I am new here and I have a few questions regarding this prodjcet. Recently I used the gerber files and printed the board. Now I realized that I have to solder each component. Which components do i need to buy if I am not planning on having leds? And did you buy the components from Digikey? Also, could you post a picture or a guide so i know where to sodder each part. This is my first time doing a project like this. I have 4 extra board if anyone wants to buy them.
Yes I bought my parts from Digikey. There are lots of parts.  Starting with the AVR chip.  There are diodes, resistors, capacitors, and the USB connector, etc.  I might be able to find a Digikey parts list.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline littlleguner

« Reply #380 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 17:46:12 »
Were you able to find a Digikey parts list?