Author Topic: USPS Confirmed Scum of the Earth  (Read 8270 times)

Offline btctopre

USPS Confirmed Scum of the Earth
« on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 16:33:54 »

I won't stand for this ****, USPS. You will be hearing from my lawyer in the near-future!

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
Re: USPS Confirmed Scum of the Earth
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 16:34:28 »
Show Image

I won't stand for this ****, USPS. You will be hearing from my lawyer in the near-future!

Your lawyer here. I thought we agreed not to go public yet?

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 16:35:31 »
This includes flat rate?

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 16:37:26 »
ugh.. is there a better cheaper shipping company we could use? I was not expecting that much of an increase

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 16:37:41 »
Don't look at the international rates. You will be even more pissed.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 16:39:15 »

Straight up won't even be able to ship internationally anymore. The fact that you don't even save money online anymore also sucks.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 16:40:32 »
Get these guys.

Yes, I jumped on the Making a Murderer band wagon. Fite mii.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 16:48:09 »
Don't complain, all the other carriers are worse.

The gigantic advantage of USPS is "flat rate" which is very nice if you are shipping something like a Model F 122-key.

I think the US Post Office is great and does an exemplary job in general. UPS and FedEx are marginally better but cost more 90%+ of the time (but they do provide better tracking).

If you want to complain about real costs, ask why oil companies, airlines, and car companies continue to receive huge subsidies from the government while relentlessly raising prices and chalking up record profits. The Post Office is one of the good guys.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 16:50:23 »

Straight up won't even be able to ship internationally anymore. The fact that you don't even save money online anymore also sucks.

Looks like it's around a 10% increase? I mean it sucks, but it's really not stopping me from shipping international
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 16:52:51 »

Looks like it's around a 10% increase? I mean it sucks, but it's really not stopping me from shipping international

Shipping a 1-oz package First Class international is now $13.50, up from $6.55. :(
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 16:53:39 »

Shipping a 1-oz package international is now $13.50, up from $6.55. :(

mother of almighty ****. damn you usps...

still better than fedex and the always ****tiest UPS
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 16:54:27 »
Now its even harder buying things from USA

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 16:56:43 »
God damn.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 17:16:44 »

Shipping a 1-oz package First Class international is now $13.50, up from $6.55. :(

Cya geekhack

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 17:20:56 »

Son of a... the postal carriers have this hobby by the balls.  It might be cheaper in a few years to own a store-front :|
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 17:29:32 »
Oh no overly expensive freight costs have gone up more, looks like I will be continuing to pay a dollar in shipping for every dollar I spend on small items, not to mention the 30% rise from my own ****ty currency being ****ty.

There was a time when I purchased from the US and I paid a little less because AUD conversion was just a little over USD. They were a few good days.

Should see if USPS will take Clacks and Bros as payment, probably work out cheaper. Mind you from my perspective USPS has its **** in one sock, every package I get from them seems to spend no more than a few days in the US, and then 1-2 weeks with AUS post. I think they do a good job as fohat says, but I only have received maybe 80-100 packages initially delt with by them.... 

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 17:33:54 »
Oh no overly expensive freight costs have gone up more, looks like I will be continuing to pay a dollar in shipping for every dollar I spend on small items, not to mention the 30% rise from my own ****ty currency being ****ty.

There was a time when I purchased from the US and I paid a little less because AUD conversion was just a little over USD. They were a few good days.

Should see if USPS will take Clacks and Bros as payment, probably work out cheaper. Mind you from my perspective USPS has its **** in one sock, every package I get from them seems to spend no more than a few days in the US, and then 1-2 weeks with AUS post. I think they do a good job as fohat says, but I only have received maybe 80-100 packages initially delt with by them....
Its even worse for us Indonesian Ghers

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 17:36:28 »
Its even worse for us Indonesian Ghers

Oh man, I have never even thought about Indo, I bet you guys get stomped.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 17:43:44 »
So about those group buys delayed into this year from last year where people paid the cheaper shipping rates......

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 17:44:43 »
This is unfortunate. With the USD/CAD exchange rate, buying from across the border was painful enough as is.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 17:52:31 »
This is unfortunate. With the USD/CAD exchange rate, buying from across the border was painful enough as is.

You need someone who lives just near to boarder to collect mail and to boarder runs, like a drug runner

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 18:08:01 »

You need someone who lives just near to boarder to collect mail and to boarder runs, like a drug runner

I'm glad I'm not the one who has to poop out those GMK sets on the other side

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 18:18:34 »
Shipping a 1-oz package First Class international is now $13.50, up from $6.55.

I have not been able to ship anything that was a "package" (definition: over 3/4" thick and not flexible - as opposed to an "envelope" which is "flat" and "flexible") internationally for under about $10-$12 in a couple of years, it seems to me. But then I never stick 2 key caps in a bubble envelope anyway.

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 18:47:12 »

...welp

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 19:57:41 »
FWIW Australia Post just had a 43% increase in the price of a stamp to send a single letter (70c up to $1).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 19:59:21 »
Well, looks like I'm going back to using my trusty steed.  :rolleyes:
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 20:09:14 »
:'(

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 20:11:37 »

Shipping a 1-oz package First Class international is now $13.50, up from $6.55.

I have not been able to ship anything that was a "package" (definition: over 3/4" thick and not flexible - as opposed to an "envelope" which is "flat" and "flexible") internationally for under about $10-$12 in a couple of years, it seems to me. But then I never stick 2 key caps in a bubble envelope anyway.

I believe the trick was using click-n-ship online but with this recent change that no longer is discounted.

I've sent plenty of small boxes so long as they were only a few ounces for <$8 international first class many times but not anymore. :/

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 20:18:23 »
my god u guys should never go to Canada then. our postage rates are outrageous

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 21:40:33 »

WTF

Price of oil goes way, way down, cost of shipping goes way, way up.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 21:41:44 »

WTF

Price of oil goes way, way down, cost of shipping goes way, way up.

and the butt ****ing never stops
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 21:56:30 »
The pricing in the OP is only using a commercial account (Stamps.com, etc.).  The usps online and in-store pricing is as follows:

125128-0

$6.80 a pop for those of us that don't have a commercial account that just send a small package every now and then.  Time to start charging people $2 via Paypal and using their services. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 22:11:15 »
The pricing in the OP is only using a commercial account (Stamps.com, etc.).  The usps online and in-store pricing is as follows:

(Attachment Link)

$6.80 a pop for those of us that don't have a commercial account that just send a small package every now and then.  Time to start charging people $2 via Paypal and using their services. 

Well before the 17th you could get the commercial pricing using usps online click-n-ship but not anymore. :(

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 22:14:36 »
Let's be real, the $0.80 isn't going to break the bank for anyone shipping a flat-rate small box.

The international shipping change, however... that's where it looks like it's going to hurt.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 22:15:54 »
Let's be real, the $0.80 isn't going to break the bank for anyone shipping a flat-rate small box.

The international shipping change, however... that's where it looks like it's going to hurt.
Time to boycott overseas shipping.

Sorry commies.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 22:28:14 »
Rip buying artisans :(

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 01:15:07 »
For real. **** this. I need to move to the land of the free.

Offline ika

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 01:17:36 »
IIRC it's been a few years since they last increased rates (and last time it was like less than 0.30) so it's about time. But instead of ****ing everyone like this in one fell swoop they should really just do it slowly.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 02:32:39 »

Time to boycott overseas shipping.

Sorry commies.

RIP

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 02:52:31 »

USPS saw our rates and said "hey, I got an idea"
Sad stuff :(

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 03:19:14 »
Jimmies: Rustled

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 03:44:35 »
USPS is amazing, truly one of the wonders of the world.

They have a pretty tough mandate though, which is to deliver 6 days a week to every mailbox in every little rural ghost town in America, for a flat rate across the whole system.  Their volume has been dropping for years as people transfer routine communications online, and they have to keep funding pension obligations for retired workers from the years when volumes were higher, and their workers are all treated amazingly, much better than their competitors. They often end up losing the price competition on higher-margin packages to private shipping companies, but those companies are happy to use USPS for last-mile delivery whenever they need to, and so don’t need nearly as complete a network.

Not to mention, congressional Republicans keep trying to defund it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 January 2016, 03:50:15 by jacobolus »

Offline jaffers

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 03:55:30 »
You think USPS is bad. Auspost have had rates like this since the beginning. And they managed to crack a model M IN HALF. One of Ludovitcian42's that he sent

EDIT: I MEAN AUSPOST
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 January 2016, 03:59:15 by jaffers »

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 03:58:01 »

This guyyyyyyyyy
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 05:31:47 »
Karma for inflating Clack prices and not getting along with reddit.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 06:17:42 »

They have a pretty tough mandate though, which is to deliver 6 days a week to every mailbox in every little rural ghost town in America, for a flat rate across the whole system.  Their volume has been dropping for years as people transfer routine communications online, and they have to keep funding pension obligations for retired workers from the years when volumes were higher, and their workers are all treated amazingly, much better than their competitors. They often end up losing the price competition on higher-margin packages to private shipping companies, but those companies are happy to use USPS for last-mile delivery whenever they need to, and so don’t need nearly as complete a network.

How dare you provide such a rational and informed analysis in this moanfest?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 06:21:01 »
You think USPS is bad. Auspost have had rates like this since the beginning. And they managed to crack a model M IN HALF. One of Ludovitcian42's that he sent

EDIT: I MEAN AUSPOST

Yeah, good old AusPost never let you down when it comes to offering smashed packages with all your goods crushed.  Sometimes I get boxes that have been gaped by Rhinos, yet they see fit to deliver it in pieces to my front door.

Usually I write it down as a loss but still, for the money you lay out on delivery they should at least of even bothered to not smash it to bits.  Still we are stuck with using them for all our goods and we all hope none of the idiots at their warehouse will gang rape our packages for fun.

Welcome to our desperately debauched world, here down under  ;) .

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 06:51:14 »

But USPS isn't funded by the government.

in memoriam

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 07:08:25 »

They have a pretty tough mandate though, which is to deliver 6 days a week to every mailbox in every little rural ghost town in America, for a flat rate across the whole system. 

their workers are all treated amazingly, much better than their competitors.

How dare you provide such a rational and informed analysis in this moanfest?

The Post Office became quasi-independent of federal government support in 1970 under Nixon. As with most examples of privatization and deregulation, it has proven to have a mixed result, but with far less egregious price increases than almost any other.

Looking at charts, the prices seem to appear rather reasonable, but the facts on the ground disagree. For example, a single T-shirt, wrapped in plastic that weighs almost nothing and stuffed in a non-rigid envelope, costs about $17+ minimum from the East Coast to Europe, before this current hike.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 January 2016, 07:52:14 by fohat.digs »
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline sitch

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 07:22:05 »
darn reading this makes international buyer like me sad, I just started my keyboard buying spree  :'(