Author Topic: Alps SKCM Blue vs. APC Blue?  (Read 1866 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Alps SKCM Blue vs. APC Blue?
« on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 00:03:29 »
Has anyone has compared the highly prized vintage Alps SCKM Blue switches:

...with the clicky blue APC switches sold by Tai-Hao?:

Obviously, making a switch the same shape and colour doesn't make it feel, respond or sound the same. Are the APCs an attempt to duplicate the Alpses, though? How close did they get?

It seems to me that if they were as good, or nearly as good, lots of peeps would be buying them. But I've looked all over and found nothing specifically about it. Thanks!
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Alps SKCM Blue vs. APC Blue?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 00:08:00 »
I haven't tried them, but I remember when they first came out people said they felt pretty crappy.  But it's all so subjective I would have to try to know for sure.  I think it's mostly b/c they are a simple Alps clone, not complicated. 

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 00:49:51 »
I haven't tried them, but I remember when they first came out people said they felt pretty crappy... I think it's mostly b/c they are a simple Alps clone, not complicated.

Right, that would make quite a difference.

If they're anything like the simplified Alps SKBL/SKBMs (produced in Taiwan, where Tai-Hao is), they generally last only around 10 million presses, too, which is less than some of the better rubber domes.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 January 2019, 04:02:07 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline abrahamstechnology

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 10:27:01 »
People (including me) who have bought from the Aliexpress listing have gotten very inconsistent switches that don't click 100% of the time. That said,  boards with these pre-installed don't seem to have this issue, the AliExpress seller may be selling factory rejects or something.

If you are going to try them out, buy them from Tai-Hao directly.