Author Topic: Layouts in spanish  (Read 1784 times)

Offline tecla.efe

Layouts in spanish
« on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 00:14:12 »
I switched to Dvorak 3 weeks ago. I'm quite happy with this quest, although it'll take time to recover speed. The adapted layout I'm using is this one http://djelibeibi.unex.es/dvorak/. The main difference being the mutual exchange between H and R. This layout is proposed under the idea of not modifying too much the original Dvorak. But I wonder if we're not loosing substantial benefits (from the rational of Dvorak layout) by sticking to the english one?

Are there any alternative layouts developed specially for spanish? How would Colemak work?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Layouts in spanish
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 14:06:52 »
Some analysis would give you/us some insight, but e.g. carpalx isn't ready for typing in languages with extra symbols... yet.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 14:45:09 »
I suggest you to try the standard US dvorak layout. After all, the accented letters can always accessed with modifiers and the ñ also.

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 22:25:16 »
I have used normal Dvorak with Spanish and I had [ as the accent modifier and got used to it pretty quickly. Ñ on {.

Worked for me, except for when I needed to use those affected keys like {} [] ' etc haha They were still available in other positions, but I never bothered learning them.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline tecla.efe

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 00:00:11 »
I'm OK learning to type Dvorak. The layout in spanish is very similar to the english one, with the exchange of the R and H, and the addition of Ñ and the accent for áéíóú.

My concern is that the optimization gained for english is at some point lost at typing spanish words (a lesser use of the home row or the overuse of one of the hands over the other, for example). An analysis like the one suggested by davcol would help.

One simple observation: in english, the relative frequency of Y = 1.974% and of B = 1.492% (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_frequency). That's why probably Y is in the upper row and B on the lower. In spanish the situation is the opposite, the numbers are: Y = 1.008% and B = 2.215%, so B should go up and Y to the lower row.

The rationality of Dvorak applied to the spanish language would give a different layout, my question would be, to what extent we loose when using the mildly modified english Dvorak to type in spanish.

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 00:06:25 »
I am sure there is a change to the efficiency, as it was designed with English at heart.

What about Colemak? That layout might be a little more Spanish friendly from the figures I've seen. The biggest problem I've had with Colemak is that the keyboard layout is not pre-installed in Windows 7, which is annoying on work computers where you don't have admin privileges to add software.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 00:09:32 »
I am considering to give Colemak a try, however, what concerns me is what happen when you have to use the laptop layout? you should be switching between qwerty and colemak.

Offline tecla.efe

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 00:21:24 »
Yes, Dvorak has the benefit of being a standard.

Now, I'm only typing Dvorak, to learn. When I reach my goal (70 wpm), I'll see how bad my qwerty abilities are. I wonder how flexible my brain is. Maybe it would be possible to learn a third layout. Right now that seems just crazy, haha.

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 00:31:16 »
I think the typing rhythm and patterns on Colemak are a lot closer to Qwerty and as such, it is an easier transition, but also, the layout is more efficient for Spanish as far as I remember (can't recall the source of my claims though, sorry).

@ideus What do you mean the laptop layout? At OS level, you can simply add another keyboard layout (Dvorak) and alternate between layouts by pressing ALT+SHIFT. Just bare in mind that it changes it for the PROGRAM that is active at the time, which can be a bit of a pain when you've got multiple programs with different layouts at the same time haha but you can just press ALT+SHIFT again ...

I'm going through a long ordeal to get IT to allow me to add Colemak at work. I used to use Dvorak at work, but the editing short cuts (ie CTRL+C etc) were too difficult to use efficiently, so I'm back on Qwerty at work for the time being. ><