Author Topic: [IC] GMK Hammerhead | July 6 - 31  (Read 172206 times)

Offline keylabskeycaps

• KeyLabs Artisans
    • keyLabsKeycaps
[IC] GMK Hammerhead | July 6 - 31
« on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 13:42:45 »

Introduction

Better were the days when mastery of seas came not from bargains struck with eldritch creatures, but from the sweat of a man's brow and the strength of his back alone. You all know this to be true. Gentlemen. Ladies.

-Captain Hector Barbossa

Hi everyone! Quick introduction. So I'm Chad and I'm the artisan behind KeyLabs Keycaps that I run with my pal Andrew. We're still a little new, and I spend a lot of time lurking, but I've had this keyset idea floating around my mind for a good while and really wanted to take a solid shot at the design. So I present to you, respectfully, the humble beginnings of GMK Hammerhead.

I want this set to evoke the feel of chilled, oceanic spray against your cheeks and the roll of deep blue-grey swells under a stormy sky. To spring forth the cry of gulls, heard over the ship's billowing sails, while your fellow sailors throw dice and spin tales of the great monsters of the deep and of loved ones from home. Surging white caps and cold, uncharted northern waters await. All of this splendor packed mysteriously into a GMK set.

Or something along those lines. I'm not a novelist.

Group Buy: July 6th-31st

Vendors

US: NovelKeys
Canada: DeskHero
EU: Candy Keys
Oceania: Daily Clack
Asia: zFrontier / zFrontier (EN)

Pricing
US (NovelKeys)
  • Base Kit (Dark): $125
  • Base Kit (Light): $125
  • Novelties: $55
  • Extras: $30
  • Euro: $40

Canada (DeskHero)
  • Base Kit (Dark): CAD$179
  • Base Kit (Light): CAD$179
  • Novelties: CAD$79
  • Extras: CAD$43
  • Euro: CAD$58

EU (CandyKeys)
  • Base Kit (Dark): €134
  • Base Kit (Light): €134
  • Novelties: €57
  • Extras: €32
  • Euro: €41

Oceania (Daily Clack)
  • Base Kit (Dark): AU$200
  • Base Kit (Light): AU$200
  • Novelties: AU$88
  • Extras: AU$48
  • Euro: AU$64

Asia (zFrontier)
  • Base Kit (Dark): CN¥939 | $150 (EN)
  • Base Kit (Light): CN¥939 | $150 (EN)
  • Novelties: CN¥399 | $57 (EN)
  • Extras: CN¥215 | $31 (EN)
  • Euro: CN¥288 | $42 (EN)

Kits
Renders provided by the wonderful Janglad

Base

Base (light alphas)

Novelty

Extras

Euro

Deskpads

Art by the fantastic krash_draws on instagram. 900x400mm, 4mm thick pad with stitched, printed edges.

Aluminum Artisans

We decided to design and manufacturer our own aluminum keycaps to match Hammerhead. These are based on GMK R1 profile, with a flattened top face and resin infill in the shark tooth cutout. They actually feel amazing on your fingers, we're super happy with how they turned out! You can expect these to be available on our website for a group buy at some point this month.

Cables

We've partnered up with Space Cables to offer some really fantastic USB cable designs to pair with Hammerhead. Available during the Group Buy window at Space Cables.

Keyboard Renders

Color Reference

Signature

More
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=98238.0][img width=480 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/fE1m3Qr.jpg[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 July 2020, 12:47:33 by keylabskeycaps »

Offline SolidCactus

Re: [IC] GMK Hammerhead | First Post 11.19
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 13:44:49 »
I like it!

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 13:50:53 »
The Fn row is reversed compared to "traditional" coloring. F1-F4, F9-F12 is traditionally the alpha colorway, and F5-F8 and the nav keys are the mod colorway.

Just adding that bc I feel it'd look better with the normal styling

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 13:51:39 »
I’m into this

Offline dallman5

[IC] GMK Hammerhead | First Post 11.19
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 13:53:13 »
I dig the colorway!

For the F-row from F1 to Pause, I’d personally prefer grey/blue/grey/blue (aka traditional hiney said) as opposed to blue/grey/blue/grey (like you have mocked up now) but that’s not a dealbreaker for me necessarily.

Edit: missed the alpha colored WASD in the kit mock-up
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 November 2018, 13:55:56 by dallman5 »
LF: OG Cherry APL (lasered), Artisans

Current collection:
More
Norbatouch (Galaxy Blue) | Mira SE (Lunar Grey, WKL) | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300BN) | Noxary X60 (Grey, HHKB) | KBDFans 5 Degree (Silver) | AEK64 (Grey) | Norbaforce (Tactical Black, WKL)) | Realforce 86U (White) | TGR 910 RE (Polycarbonate) | LZ-SQ (Black) | LZ-CLS (Grey, WKL) | Duck Orion v1 (Silver, WK)) | Nissho KB106DE | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300B) | LZ CLS-S (Blue, Poker) | Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary) | Realforce 104UK | TGR Alice (Grey on Pink) | Singa (Blue, WKL)  | Quantrik QXP (Blue Grey, WKL) | LZ-GH v2 (Black, WK) | KMAC Happy (Red, Poker)) | IBM Model M SSK (APL) | TGR 910 SE (Pink on Blue) | GSKT-00 (Silver, Poker) | OTD Koala (Silver, WKL) | Realforce R2 PFU Edition (Ivory) | IBM 3279 Beamspring (APL) | TGR Tris (Blue) | LZ-GH v2 (Blue, WKL)) | TGR Jane v2 (Blue-grey, WKL) | LZ-MP (Shine Grey, WKL)  | TGR x Singa Unikorn (Purple) | Justsystems x Realforce 108UG) | IBM Model F Unsaver (APL) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Multicolor, WKL) | Realforce 87U (Blank Black) | Lin Montage (Light Blue, WKL) | GSKT-00 AEK R2 (Grey, HHKB) | Leopold FC660C (Blank Black) | Duck Viper v3 (Grey on Black) | Rama Works M6-C RWxRW | LZ-GH v1 (Black, WKL) | Gok 7v (Grey) | biso x beaming Kei (SS, HHKB) | zacheadams x bisoromi little z | Matrix Noah (Silver/Grey, WKL) | Lin Whale (Pink, WKL) | TGR Alice (Polycarbonate) | Rama Kara (Noct) | Lin Whale75 (Burgundy, F13) | Realforce 89 (Ivory) | Hand Engineering Haus (Bluegrey) | Haytco CAKE60_R1 (Pantone 4167C) | LZ-XE (Grey, WKL) | Noxary X60 V2 (Grey, WK) | Daji Ochocuatro (Grey, WKL) | HHKB Hybird Type-S 25th Anniversary (Snow) | LZ-REs (Grey, WKL) | Matrix 8xv 3.0 (Blue-Black/Deep Grey, WKL) | Realforce 23UB | Biso RS60 (Black, WK) | TGR x MXF Koala (Grey/Black, WKL)

Italics = Incoming, Black = Gone

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 13:54:40 »
I love the theme, the colorway, the inspiration and all, but another GMK set... Not again :( We need some SA love!

Offline keylabskeycaps

• KeyLabs Artisans
    • keyLabsKeycaps
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 13:56:06 »
I dig the colorway, but please, please, please include alpha colored WASD as well.

In addition for the F-row from F1 to Pause, I’d personally prefer grey/blue/grey/blue (aka traditional hiney said) as opposed to blue/grey/blue/grey (like you have mocked up now) but that’s not a dealbreaker for me necessarily.

Thats a fair point. I'll work on playing with the F-row and seeing how it looks. I could always include the alternative scheme (shown in the renders) in a kit possibly. And I had considered the WASD issue as well and put the alpha colored ones in the base kit, they're just placed below. Thanks for the input! Really appreciate it.

Offline dallman5

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 13:57:26 »
I dig the colorway, but please, please, please include alpha colored WASD as well.

In addition for the F-row from F1 to Pause, I’d personally prefer grey/blue/grey/blue (aka traditional hiney said) as opposed to blue/grey/blue/grey (like you have mocked up now) but that’s not a dealbreaker for me necessarily.

Thats a fair point. I'll work on playing with the F-row and seeing how it looks. I could always include the alternative scheme (shown in the renders) in a kit possibly. And I had considered the WASD issue as well and put the alpha colored ones in the base kit, they're just placed below.

Yep that’s certainly an option, but could get pricey including both is all.

My mistake on the WASD keys, thanks for pointing that out :)
LF: OG Cherry APL (lasered), Artisans

Current collection:
More
Norbatouch (Galaxy Blue) | Mira SE (Lunar Grey, WKL) | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300BN) | Noxary X60 (Grey, HHKB) | KBDFans 5 Degree (Silver) | AEK64 (Grey) | Norbaforce (Tactical Black, WKL)) | Realforce 86U (White) | TGR 910 RE (Polycarbonate) | LZ-SQ (Black) | LZ-CLS (Grey, WKL) | Duck Orion v1 (Silver, WK)) | Nissho KB106DE | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300B) | LZ CLS-S (Blue, Poker) | Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary) | Realforce 104UK | TGR Alice (Grey on Pink) | Singa (Blue, WKL)  | Quantrik QXP (Blue Grey, WKL) | LZ-GH v2 (Black, WK) | KMAC Happy (Red, Poker)) | IBM Model M SSK (APL) | TGR 910 SE (Pink on Blue) | GSKT-00 (Silver, Poker) | OTD Koala (Silver, WKL) | Realforce R2 PFU Edition (Ivory) | IBM 3279 Beamspring (APL) | TGR Tris (Blue) | LZ-GH v2 (Blue, WKL)) | TGR Jane v2 (Blue-grey, WKL) | LZ-MP (Shine Grey, WKL)  | TGR x Singa Unikorn (Purple) | Justsystems x Realforce 108UG) | IBM Model F Unsaver (APL) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Multicolor, WKL) | Realforce 87U (Blank Black) | Lin Montage (Light Blue, WKL) | GSKT-00 AEK R2 (Grey, HHKB) | Leopold FC660C (Blank Black) | Duck Viper v3 (Grey on Black) | Rama Works M6-C RWxRW | LZ-GH v1 (Black, WKL) | Gok 7v (Grey) | biso x beaming Kei (SS, HHKB) | zacheadams x bisoromi little z | Matrix Noah (Silver/Grey, WKL) | Lin Whale (Pink, WKL) | TGR Alice (Polycarbonate) | Rama Kara (Noct) | Lin Whale75 (Burgundy, F13) | Realforce 89 (Ivory) | Hand Engineering Haus (Bluegrey) | Haytco CAKE60_R1 (Pantone 4167C) | LZ-XE (Grey, WKL) | Noxary X60 V2 (Grey, WK) | Daji Ochocuatro (Grey, WKL) | HHKB Hybird Type-S 25th Anniversary (Snow) | LZ-REs (Grey, WKL) | Matrix 8xv 3.0 (Blue-Black/Deep Grey, WKL) | Realforce 23UB | Biso RS60 (Black, WK) | TGR x MXF Koala (Grey/Black, WKL)

Italics = Incoming, Black = Gone

Offline equalunique

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 15:42:14 »
I'll join if there is an ergo-plank kit like what GMK Royal Navy R2 or GMK Space Cadet did. Don't be like GMK Carbon R2 expecting people to pay $270 for the minimun necessary to cover a 40% board. :)

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Offline rondg

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 16:03:36 »
This kind of reminds me of hyperfuse.. but different.. which I really like!

Offline keylabskeycaps

• KeyLabs Artisans
    • keyLabsKeycaps
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 17:25:18 »
The Fn row is reversed compared to "traditional" coloring. F1-F4, F9-F12 is traditionally the alpha colorway, and F5-F8 and the nav keys are the mod colorway.

Just adding that bc I feel it'd look better with the normal styling

Gave it the ol switcheroo. I do like this a bit better. The design has some more natural flow to it.

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 17:52:57 »
I like it!

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 18:50:24 »
Excited to see what the novelties look like and how everything progresses, but I like it.

Offline braidn

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 07:42:09 »
Super into this as well. Love the theme and the colorway changes on the wasd

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 11:27:03 »
The muted color is really really nice. I will join once it drops. Patiently wait for the novelties too!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline venderzhao

Re: [IC] GMK Hammerhead | Announced 11.19
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 17:54:13 »
I love the blue colors! This wasd do look like hammerhead :thumb:

Offline s3vv4

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 04:33:38 »
White alphas dont work for the deep ocean theme

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 05:04:40 »
Agree if it was like pure white. This is more in line of a muted white tho...

Offline keylabskeycaps

• KeyLabs Artisans
    • keyLabsKeycaps
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 07:26:13 »
Agree if it was like pure white. This is more in line of a muted white tho...

The alphas are more of a very subtle-light steel blue/grey color. I feel as though it ties in with the oceanic "master and commander with a bit of an edge" feel I was hoping for. But always interested in hearing more thoughts about it. 

Offline rachel

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 08:57:31 »
A hammerhead keyset must has a hammerhead novelty key. Just a suggestion! I’m looking forward to this :)
I like the colours too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline knugles

• Hey there Crusty Crew
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 22 November 2018, 07:40:44 »
A hammerhead keyset must has a hammerhead novelty key. Just a suggestion! I’m looking forward to this :)
I like the colours too.

I agree with this so much! Very cool keyset
Matias QuietPro | CoolerMaster Masterkeys S |

I play a lot of WoW

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 22 November 2018, 08:35:40 »
nice

Offline keylabskeycaps

• KeyLabs Artisans
    • keyLabsKeycaps
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 17:14:31 »
I like the colours too.

Your wish has been granted. How do you like them apples

If anyone has any suggestions on sizing, mod color, design or placement of the novelties please feel free to let me know!
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 November 2018, 17:17:14 by keylabskeycaps »

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 18:04:53 »
I like the colours too.

If anyone has any suggestions on sizing, mod color, design or placement of the novelties please feel free to let me know!
Love every single bit. That just looks tu guddd. Very nice work!

Offline keylabskeycaps

• KeyLabs Artisans
    • keyLabsKeycaps
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 18:08:22 »
I like the colours too.

Sweet. Glad you like it! I don't know exactly whether the designs will be row 1 or maybe a few on row 4 maybe. I'll have to play around with it a little bit and see what looks the best.

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 19:15:07 »
I like the colours too.

It does bring a vibe of ocean dolch, but much better in my opinion. Some R4 novelties would be dope too.

Sweet. Glad you like it! I don't know exactly whether the designs will be row 1 or maybe a few on row 4 maybe. I'll have to play around with it a little bit and see what looks the best.

Offline rachel

Re: [IC] GMK Hammerhead | NEW NOVELTIES 11.26
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 22:37:29 »
I like the colours too.

Ooof! Looking good!

Offline mrpetrov

Re: [IC] GMK Hammerhead | NEW NOVELTIES 11.26
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 10:08:44 »
Excellent set, novelties look super cool. In.

Offline NautiOG

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 06:47:07 »

Actually, White is one of the 1st colors I think of when being on the water. Marine coolers, boat hulls, cushions so many aspects of boating and fishing are directly tied to a nice clean white.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
Re: [IC] GMK Hammerhead | NEW NOVELTIES
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 12:52:44 »
I really like this. Will have to see about price with so many GMK sets running right now.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Oni74

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 13:52:48 »
This looks great. I'll be certain to keep an eye on this for the future, but I recently bought into a bunch of GBs, so I'm hoping this would run later  in 2019 - say May-ish.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 14:32:28 »
Nice colors!
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline MFahim

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 23:39:28 »
I really dig the novelties, especially the shark ones.

Offline keylabskeycaps

• KeyLabs Artisans
    • keyLabsKeycaps
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 20:28:25 »
I really dig the novelties, especially the shark ones.

Thanks! I'm looking to add one more to make the F Row complete since theres only 11 right now. I'm still trying to find the last icon that might fit the theme.

Offline maximize

Re: [IC] GMK Hammerhead | NEW KITS 12.5
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 11:00:12 »
What's the fourth novelty in the top row?...  :-[
Really like the colors of this set.

Offline keylabskeycaps

• KeyLabs Artisans
    • keyLabsKeycaps
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 11:23:53 »
Well, it's supposed to be a shark jawbone... however that may need to be replaced.

I kind of had the same thoughts process

Offline maximize

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 09:10:37 »
Yeah... It's sort of hard to tell what it's really supposed to be, and might turn out poorly when molded.  Maybe a replacement novelty could be gills?

Offline tullyvivi

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 09:30:53 »
I am not a huge fan of any green-ish color, but I have to say this combination got its charm.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 09:01:13 »
 I know you are still actively iterating on the design, but are these going to be all custom colors? If so, it would be helpful to see matching Pantone or RAL colors.  If there is one thing that recent group buys have taught me, it is that getting these gray/blue/green colors right is difficult.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs
    • Ashkeebs Lubing Service & Shop
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 11:18:08 »
Agreed on getting the Pantone/RAL colours, but I'm really loving this set! I'm not the biggest fan of the different coloured WASD for the base kit, but I imagine that has something to do with the Hammerhead theme? If there was an option to have the WASD match the rest of the base alphas I'd probably go with that, but I can definitely jam to this too.

I think you've got a good set on your hands!

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 11:30:15 »
Agreed on getting the Pantone/RAL colours, but I'm really loving this set! I'm not the biggest fan of the different coloured WASD for the base kit, but I imagine that has something to do with the Hammerhead theme? If there was an option to have the WASD match the rest of the base alphas I'd probably go with that, but I can definitely jam to this too.

Take another look at the base kit -- he included WASD alphas to match the rest of the alphas, in addition to the accent-colored WASD keys.  The ASD is in the far right of the R3 line in the bottom right corner of the kit render, and the W is one line up, more to the left.

Offline keylabskeycaps

• KeyLabs Artisans
    • keyLabsKeycaps
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 12:19:40 »

Take another look at the base kit -- he included WASD alphas to match the rest of the alphas, in addition to the accent-colored WASD keys.  The ASD is in the far right of the R3 line in the bottom right corner of the kit render, and the W is one line up, more to the left.

Yeah the default WASD is absolutely part of the base kit, it is a bit hidden though so no worries. I'm a bit selfish and really love the mod color WASD and wanted to throw it in the base kit.

As far as Pantone colors go, I'm talking with GMK right now about pricing for the kits. I sent them the Pantone versions so I will go ahead and add the pantone colors to this post when I have a minute.

Offline Sleepy_Badger

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 09:24:40 »
excited for this to happen :D ;D ;D ;D

Offline jacobavenkraft

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 10:23:35 »
If I'm not mistaken, your base kit supports Ortho layouts right out of the box.  This gets a +1 from me and I hope other designers follow your lead!  It really doesn't take much extra to have basic Ortho support and many of those 1u keys are used by other unique layouts too.  The only modification I would make to support my preferred ortho layout would be the addition of an R3 1u colon in mod colors.  You have enough R3 to support the Ortho layout, but I usually prefer to use the mod-colored colon which is what is often included with separate Ortho kits.

Offline cdhoffmann

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 10:58:49 »
This looks great! I would love to see a render on a blue/grey QXP.

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 12:48:48 »
why do I want to buy every turquoise set!?  :confused:

Offline Hisui

• Team Yeen
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 12 January 2019, 00:33:22 »
love the colorway and theme.  :thumb:

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 11:32:11 »
interested...

Offline keylabskeycaps

• KeyLabs Artisans
    • keyLabsKeycaps
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 17:31:51 »
interested...

Well thats awesome, really happy to hear that. Stay tuned for pricing soon! Currently in talks with GMK to lock that in. Might be working on some artisans behind the scenes...

Offline RamenTechMech

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 17:35:59 »
interested...

Well thats awesome, really happy to hear that. Stay tuned for pricing soon! Currently in talks with GMK to lock that in. Might be working on some artisans behind the scenes...

Oh!! I can't wait to see what artisans you have to offer!  :eek: