Author Topic: [GB] PURPLE/CLEAR ZEALIO SWITCHES (Complete)  (Read 559299 times)

Offline ika

Re: [GB] PURPLE/CLEAR ZEALIO SWITCHES NOW LIVE!!!
« Reply #150 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 13:52:20 »
So as I understand it is this going to be one giant order from Gateron to meet their MOQ, then what's sold is sold? In other words, will you be able to utilize your custom mold after this initial group buy?

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #151 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 14:11:48 »
So as I understand it is this going to be one giant order from Gateron to meet their MOQ, then what's sold is sold? In other words, will you be able to utilize your custom mold after this initial group buy?
Yes, I'll still be using the mould. Hopefully after the initial GB, there'll be more demand later on, so depending on demand, I may or may not re-run a GB. I'll have to decide if I want to just buy out MOQ in future runs.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #152 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 14:17:31 »
Don't be discouraged by the numbers just yet. I know I will be putting in an order for these, I just haven't done it yet. I'm sure the are plenty of other people who are planning on doing the same.  I actually had it all loaded up in my cart, along with a cable. I was kinda taken aback by the shipping, which I understand why it is the way it is after reading through this thread, so no worries there. I was pondering life and finances and didn't go back and actually complete the order. But I will. This is not something I will pass up.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline kekstee

« Reply #153 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 18:17:36 »
Same, I'm just debating with mysef wether I want to order enough for a fullsize board.

Offline steve.v

« Reply #154 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 01:14:48 »
I'm in. Would throwing this on Massdrop help if any? Thx zeal for everything.

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #155 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 06:35:08 »

It would help with numbers probably... but if they handle and ship his switches like their previous few drops it could also be a disaster to his reputation. Although I'm not really sure how you can screw up shipping a bag of switches I'm sure they'd find a way.

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #156 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 06:47:42 »

It would help with numbers probably... but if they handle and ship his switches like their previous few drops it could also be a disaster to his reputation. Although I'm not really sure how you can screw up shipping a bag of switches I'm sure they'd find a way.

I think it's possible to ship directly from a vendor rather than use massdrop's awful fulfillment center.

Offline Chedda7

« Reply #157 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 08:37:46 »
Is there a time line for when we can expect to see a complementing RGB 4pin PCB?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #158 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 09:28:52 »

I think it's possible to ship directly from a vendor rather than use massdrop's awful fulfillment center.

I'm not a Massdrop guy. As this is a community developed product, there is no way in hell it'll end up under Massdrop's greasy fingers to profit off of. Massdrop, if you're reading this, sorry but I made it very clear with Gateron that you will not be "dropping" these Zealio switches ever. They keep saying they're a community driven company; however as of late, from what I've observed, they don't seem to know many of their products at all. And quite frankly, many of their price tiers are artificial.

MOQ isn't an issue for me. I can always buy it out, but I'd rather not atm.

Is there a time line for when we can expect to see a complementing RGB 4pin PCB?

No dates revealed yet. Just know it is being designed!
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 August 2015, 09:32:43 by Zeal »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #159 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 09:54:09 »
Yeah, I wouldn't put this on Massdrop. I could see people there complaining about the price or something, and then encouraging others not to buy.

I'm fine with it being through here. I'll get a few things from Massdrop, but some of their drops lately make me think they're becoming less and less community driven, if at all.

Offline 3K

« Reply #160 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 09:55:23 »

This is a keyboard community, and you are about to release THE new switch. Something that will go down in history. I wouldn't worry too much about these guys not selling!

I for one just wait for a chance to get them shipped cheap(er). - Anyone in germany want to share shipping with me?

Also does the number of different switches ordered increase the chance to win a binge? Say I order a bunch of clears and a bunch of purples - is the chance the same as if I'd order the purples only?

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #161 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 09:58:03 »

This is a keyboard community, and you are about to release THE new switch. Something that will go down in history. I wouldn't worry too much about these guys not selling!

I for one just wait for a chance to get them shipped cheap(er). - Anyone in germany want to share shipping with me?

Also does the number of different switches ordered increase the chance to win a binge? Say I order a bunch of clears and a bunch of purples - is the chance the same as if I'd order the purples only?

1 ticket entry per order. So I guess you can "game" the system if you place two orders and pay double shipping w/o me noticing. Not too sure how many people would be interested in that as you'll just receive two boxes. Just make one order and hope for the best. :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 August 2015, 10:01:33 by Zeal »

Offline dante

« Reply #162 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 10:19:10 »
Don't be discouraged by the numbers just yet.

^ What he said.  I'm definitely putting in an order at the very last minute.  Right now I am transferring funds into my Paypal week by week to build up enough to buy around 400-600 67g's.  Feng picked a hell of a time to start his Rainbow POM GB :( 

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #163 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 12:28:26 »
My opinion:  62g Cherry clears lubed are absolutely the best for typing, 65g is way too heavy, 60 is too light for sure.  For gaming however I like 55g best.  55g's need to be lubed for the switch to work though.  If I'm not mistaken the 55g is the lowest you can go with Cherry because even though you lube because the spring simply won't be strong enough to throw it back.  I see that with these you don't need to worry about lubing the 62g's because it's so smooth.  Makes me wonder how it is with 60g, 55g, 50g & 45g.  Maybe one can go with these weights with these switches? Probably it will be too light but some small % of people maybe would like that.  I wonder what g weight with Zealios will match the 55g cherry the most.  I will have to experiment.

All in all the 65g's seem to be the safest option for me, being a 62g cherry lover and liking lighter rather than heavy switches (blues & blacks are too heavy for me for example).  I will order 10's of 65g and 67g also to check them out.  My only fear however is that I will like the 62g or 67g better and I wouldn't be able to spring swap them all because these are custom springs  :confused: (I have 62g's from sprit but according to zeal these springs are not like stock sprit springs). 

Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #164 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 13:04:38 »
My opinion:  62g Cherry clears lubed are absolutely the best for typing, 65g is way too heavy, 60 is too light for sure.  For gaming however I like 55g best.  55g's need to be lubed for the switch to work though.  If I'm not mistaken the 55g is the lowest you can go with Cherry because even though you lube because the spring simply won't be strong enough to throw it back.  I see that with these you don't need to worry about lubing the 62g's because it's so smooth.  Makes me wonder how it is with 60g, 55g, 50g & 45g.  Maybe one can go with these weights with these switches? Probably it will be too light but some small % of people maybe would like that.  I wonder what g weight with Zealios will match the 55g cherry the most.  I will have to experiment.

All in all the 65g's seem to be the safest option for me, being a 62g cherry lover and liking lighter rather than heavy switches (blues & blacks are too heavy for me for example).  I will order 10's of 65g and 67g also to check them out.  My only fear however is that I will like the 62g or 67g better and I wouldn't be able to spring swap them all because these are custom springs  :confused: (I have 62g's from sprit but according to zeal these springs are not like stock sprit springs). 

If you love the 62g ergo clear feel, 65g Purple Zealios should further enhance that experience (super smooth and "one-motion" feeling). 62g Zealios feel a bit lighter than 62g Ergo clears due to the smoothness of the stem. Almost feels like a MX Brown with a bit more bump+tiny bit more weight.

It's quite hard to describe feeling without actually feeling the switches yourself. You'll just have to read a bit of reviews in the OP and make the decision.

Offline tuantruong

« Reply #165 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 13:38:59 »
Just ordered 200 sexy purple swes, this will be on my Jane and Orion v2 for sure. :thumb:
Just a question, sorry if it has been asked. I read somewhere that the gateron switches are close enough so we don't need the stickers, what about the Zealio swithes? Do I need the stickers for the Zealio?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #166 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 13:50:02 »
Just ordered 200 sexy purple swes, this will be on my Jane and Orion v2 for sure. :thumb:
Just a question, sorry if it has been asked. I read somewhere that the gateron switches are close enough so we don't need the stickers, what about the Zealio swithes? Do I need the stickers for the Zealio?

RGB switch tops fit even more snug than the standard Gateron tops. :) So no, no stickers required.

Offline aznairjordan

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #167 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 13:58:06 »

RGB switch tops fit even more snug than the standard Gateron tops. :) So no, no stickers required.

I remember you saying somewhere that stickers might even be bad for these zealios. Is that true?
TGR Jane CE|FC660C|Orion V2
GMK Hyperfuse|GMK Olivetti|GMK Red Alert|Soulfree's Teal|GMK Cyan

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #168 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 14:25:50 »

I remember you saying somewhere that stickers might even be bad for these zealios. Is that true?

I don't use stickers because it's a waste of time. Stickers will have to be compressed to fit and/or you're applying unnecessary pressure between the two housings. Why block the LED lighting with stickers when the whole housing is clear anyways? ;)

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #169 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 14:54:05 »
I'm not a Massdrop guy. As this is a community developed product, there is no way in hell it'll end up under Massdrop's greasy fingers to profit off of. Massdrop, if you're reading this, sorry but I made it very clear with Gateron that you will not be "dropping" these Zealio switches ever.

Zeal: The People's Switchmaker

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #170 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 15:00:53 »
Dang just noticed you were in Canada. :( $15 shipping. I only want 1 for my keychain. love that purple. These are sick man!

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #171 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 15:51:06 »

Dang just noticed you were in Canada. :( $15 shipping. I only want 1 for my keychain. love that purple. These are sick man!

I'll hook you up with a couple from my order if you like  :)

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #172 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 15:55:42 »
Hey strict I'd appreciate that a lot, thanks man!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #173 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 16:06:46 »
Damn I just realized how much shipping is. That's a bummer. $15-23 to the USA. Definitely got spoiled on USPS prices.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #174 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 16:12:51 »
Damn I just realized how much shipping is. That's a bummer. $15-23 to the USA. Definitely got spoiled on USPS prices.

*triggered*

Check your USA privilege! Anyone having 'local' shiping rates (first time ever for me on GH) is being boned by the fact that the Canadian Dollar is worth peanuts right about now  :p

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #175 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 16:17:32 »

Buy more switches to offset shipping :P

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #176 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 16:20:43 »

I'm trying to get *out* of MX-mount, not stock up on more :P. After these I don't anticipate buying anything else MX.

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #177 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 19:52:20 »
110 Ordered...! Looking forward to having these on my Lightsaver!

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #178 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 19:58:37 »

I'm trying to get *out* of MX-mount, not stock up on more :P. After these I don't anticipate buying anything else MX.

Sure you won't...  ;)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #179 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 21:05:24 »
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #180 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 21:08:25 »
Show Image

Oh daaaaaaaaammmmmnnn.

Legit right there.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #181 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 21:28:35 »

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline aznairjordan

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #182 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 21:30:39 »
TGR Jane CE|FC660C|Orion V2
GMK Hyperfuse|GMK Olivetti|GMK Red Alert|Soulfree's Teal|GMK Cyan

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #183 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 23:12:28 »
Show Image

These look really nice Binge.   :thumb:

Offline olijuice

« Reply #184 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 00:05:05 »
I just bought 90 in case I ever wanted to put these on a TKL, but I think I am going to put these on the planck as soon as I get everything in my hands.

Offline mattbox

« Reply #185 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 01:41:39 »
Sorry if this was answered in the other thread, but do you own the design/molds for your switches or does Gateron? Just curious if these end up being really popular would Gateron be abled to sell them to manufacturers or consumers without going through you?

Regardless I plan on getting a set sometime next week

Offline Armagedda

« Reply #186 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 03:40:13 »
Sorry if this was answered in the other thread, but do you own the design/molds for your switches or does Gateron? Just curious if these end up being really popular would Gateron be abled to sell them to manufacturers or consumers without going through you?

Regardless I plan on getting a set sometime next week

I think that he answered that in THIS thread. Sounds like he owns the mold given he was saying that on the 28th he was only 22% of the way to making $0. And it especially sounds like he owns the mold if he is telling Gateron that MD will not drop these switches. I'm sure Zeal will confirm.

While you're at it Zeal, I've got a question regarding shipping, I'm sure someone else is wondering so I'll ask publicly. What is the DHL Express shipping like in terms of insurance, is this available at an extra cost to us? I see no option of it available on your site for insurance and I would definitely prefer to have this option available to me as I am planning on buying 3-400 and don't like the idea of eating that cost if they go missing.

I never used to worry about this but I recently had an item lost in the mail and was basically told by Australia Post to F off because there's no way 200 little springs cost $20. It's like they had never heard of 24K gold plated super heavy keyboard springs before?! Plebs.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #187 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 07:56:34 »
Yes, I own two moulds for the Zealio line of switches. The transparent bottom housing, and the purple "MX clear" slider.

Regarding DHL Express shipping, they're an express courier service just like UPS and FedEx (except they're the gentlest with packages from my experience). Unless you live in a remote area, DHL will deliver your package in-person at your door and request for signature. I've shipped and imported with DHL for over a year, and I've never had an item go missing. Their job is to get your parcel from one destination to another within the quoted time frame (usually 1-3 days depending on location). Probably less than 10 packages I've shipped have arrived a day late due to weather delays or missing the barcodes scan before departure from Canada (when that happens, it just always ends up at the Cincinnati Ohio airport hub in USA). I don't offer insurance options for DHL as switches aren't fragile objects. If we were shipping TVs or monitors, then I'd definitely offer insurance. To ease your mind, in the very unlikely event that a parcel goes missing when shipped via DHL Express, I will replace your order (including shipping), free of charge and you can quote me on that.

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #188 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 08:37:19 »
To ease your mind, in the very unlikely event that a parcel goes missing when shipped via DHL Express, I will replace your order (including shipping), free of charge and you can quote me on that.

One of the many attributes of a great vendor!

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #189 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 09:05:05 »
Is it weird that I actually had a dream about these switches last night? Been thinking too much about Mech's lately!

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #190 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 09:25:59 »
Is it weird that I actually had a dream about these switches last night? Been thinking too much about Mech's lately!
I don't think so 64  :)) I dream about keyboards and key caps on the reg.  😍
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #191 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 10:07:52 »
I don't think so 64  :)) I dream about keyboards and key caps on the reg.  😍

Oh man, it was so vivid, I actually dreamt that with my order of the 62g Purples, I received one of each of the others as a sample, and was comparing the weights... Right, I need to get out, might go for a hike.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #192 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 11:36:30 »
Show Image

You sir, just sold a lot of Zealios.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #193 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 11:55:21 »

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #194 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 11:56:30 »
Show Image

OH MY GOD! I only just now realized that character on the cap has a headset on! THAT IS AWESOME!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #195 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 11:58:25 »
Show Image

Binge heavy on those LSU colors. Where's LastPilot and Mashby? :P

Nice caps and flicks :D

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #196 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 12:32:16 »
Show Image

OH MY GOD! I only just now realized that character on the cap has a headset on! THAT IS AWESOME!

slo-fi is amazingpants,

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #197 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 12:46:52 »
I need dat purple orc that is hiding. ;_;

Offline 3K

« Reply #198 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 15:49:29 »
Show Image

slo-fi is amazingpants,

Show Image

I am throwing all kind of things on ebay to make money for zealios. I hope you are happy now, Binge.

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #199 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 18:22:38 »
Show Image

slo-fi is amazingpants,

Show Image

Well I have one order,  so one raffle ticket,  let's see :)