Author Topic: backlit keycap question  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Jixr

backlit keycap question
« on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 09:25:58 »
So I'm thinking about ordering some backlit keycaps, and the legeneds are on the top of the cap, but my led's are on the bottom part of the switches.

I'm using 2x2x3 leds, and was wondering how well that works out.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 09:33:29 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 September 2015, 14:07:21 by esoomenona »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: backlit keycap question
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 09:41:58 »
Also be aware that 2x3x4mm LED's installed on "correct" orientation switches may need to be shaved down so as not to interfere with the keycaps.

As moose said, it depends how bright the LEDs are and the construction of the caps. most backlits will allow at least some light through, but you will also get almost as bright light shining out from under the cap. I have "correct" orientation switches in my KBT Pure with round LED's in and some caps don't look good with the backlighting on. I actually prefer thick, dark opaque caps that only allow the background glow effect with that board.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Re: backlit keycap question
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 00:57:07 »
So I'm thinking about ordering some backlit keycaps, and the legeneds are on the top of the cap, but my led's are on the bottom part of the switches.

I'm using 2x2x3 leds, and was wondering how well that works out.

What keyboard are you using? Seems strange to have the lights oriented differently.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.