Author Topic: Opinion on Lap Keyboards?  (Read 3371 times)

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
Opinion on Lap Keyboards?
« on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 07:10:14 »
https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16823436020?nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-Mobile&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-Mobile-_-pla-_-Gaming+Keyboard-_-N82E16823436020&gclid=CKeaz4jkutQCFQOTaQodNaUHXQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I like the idea of these. I am big on home theater and also one day want to make a camper van. This seems to solve a lot things for me. I really dislike the "gamer" style to it, but love the practibilty of using this on my couch. Is there any others out there that any of you have tried and liked?

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
Re: Opinion on Lap Keyboards?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 07:15:09 »
For home theater keyboarding purposes, a split keyboard you can place beside yourself is going to be much more comfortable. Not to mention you'll be able to pull off stuff like this.

I use my ErgoDox EZ pretty often from the comfort of my couch. Loving it in that setting too.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 07:20:23 »
For home theater keyboarding purposes, a split keyboard you can place beside yourself is going to be much more comfortable. Not to mention you'll be able to pull off stuff like this.

I use my ErgoDox EZ pretty often from the comfort of my couch. Loving it in that setting too.

I had an Ergodox... I couldn't get rid of my 15 years of bad habits. I also really like that I can have a mouse and mouse pad with this. I can see my self moving from desk and working from the living room with this. I know playing league on a 60" 4K wouldn't be a good idea, but for everything else it seems awesome.

Offline Auk

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 07:44:27 »
The lap tray/keyboard/mousepad thing doesn't appeal to me at all. When using a computer from the armchair I have a cheap wireless Logitech K230 keyboard and basic wireless mouse. Mouse is on a small table next to the chair, keyboard on my knees.

The keyboard isn't going to compete with a mechanical, but it's very agreeable for HT and we browsing, replying to discussions etc. I won't be too upset if it gets dropped or is on the wrong end of a spillage. For lengthy typing I'd want to be at the desk anyway.

For a some gaming I like the idea of the split keyboard, it doesn't have to be an Ergodox but I can imagine having a similar table each side of the chair similar to how I use the mouse now.

If none of this appeals and you still want similar product to the Roccat but for adults, then try searching your preferred stores for "lapdesk" and "lap tray keyboard." Otherwise you might try investigating the likes of Ergotron or Humanscale for a suitable arm with keyboard tray attachment.

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 08:48:28 »
I feel like my lap isn't flat enough and it'd bounce all around. I'd rather just build an armrest and use a split keyboard like everyone else said :p

Something like https://imgur.com/a/WqwHR#5HjSOAV would work on a desk chair and if you're on the couch, you might as well just build an armrest for that.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 08:55:57 »
I feel like my lap isn't flat enough and it'd bounce all around. I'd rather just build an armrest and use a split keyboard like everyone else said :p

Something like https://imgur.com/a/WqwHR#5HjSOAV would work on a desk chair and if you're on the couch, you might as well just build an armrest for that.

The lap tray/keyboard/mousepad thing doesn't appeal to me at all. When using a computer from the armchair I have a cheap wireless Logitech K230 keyboard and basic wireless mouse. Mouse is on a small table next to the chair, keyboard on my knees.

The keyboard isn't going to compete with a mechanical, but it's very agreeable for HT and we browsing, replying to discussions etc. I won't be too upset if it gets dropped or is on the wrong end of a spillage. For lengthy typing I'd want to be at the desk anyway.

For a some gaming I like the idea of the split keyboard, it doesn't have to be an Ergodox but I can imagine having a similar table each side of the chair similar to how I use the mouse now.

If none of this appeals and you still want similar product to the Roccat but for adults, then try searching your preferred stores for "lapdesk" and "lap tray keyboard." Otherwise you might try investigating the likes of Ergotron or Humanscale for a suitable arm with keyboard tray attachment.

So I actually really like interior design. I will not purposely put a table next to my couch or build something permanent based off a keyboard.

I like something that would be comfortable and portable. Something I can hide when not using and is not a pain in the ass to put away.

Again I am not a huge fan of the "gaming" look if this particular one, but I like how it has memory foam on the bottom and looks pretty solid. better than the $20 all in one keyboards.

Also with the announcement that the Xbox is going to start providing support for keyboard and mice, this attracts me more.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 09:05:44 »
besides the sova from roccat i only know of the razer turret and corsair lapdog. only the sova looks comfortable to me though. never actually tried any of them however.
if i wanted something like it i'd build it myself, but it would be a time consuming project.

I like something that would be comfortable and portable. Something I can hide when not using and is not a pain in the ass to put away.

razer turret is portable. small, wireless, i assume lightweight, the mouse-area even folds away. it does not look too comfortable however, at least to me:
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 June 2017, 09:16:17 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 09:21:16 »
besides the sova from roccat i only know of the razer turret and corsair lapdog. only the sova looks comfortable to me though. never actually tried any of them however.
if i wanted something like it i'd build it myself, but it would be a time consuming project.

razer turret is portable. small, wireless, i assume lightweight, the mouse-area even folds away. it does not look too comfortable however, at least to me:
Show Image

that with a lapdesk would be viable. I am actualy a fan of their rubber switches also. probably best rubber dome besides topre that I liked. 

Offline hapakey

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 15:18:40 »
Prefer Finnish to Lapland layout.