geekhack Marketplace > Bingecap Archive

Lets talk shop~

(1/9) > >>

Binge:
I've gotten a lot of questions regarding equipment and how best to start out going into production.  This thread is going to be the spot I direct people to discuss casting equipment and resources.

Please understand that some aspects of this craft are dangerous, and no information provided in this thread is meant to assure safety.  Proceed at your own risk.  That being said I don't want to see anyone hurt and suggestions herein will be moderated to the best of my knowledge.  I am by no means a professional or expert when it comes to safety with these chemicals/machines and one should always refer to manufacturer technical and safety sheets before exploring the limits of their materials.

redbanshee:
From the Capcraft Hub:

--- Quote from: Binge on Thu, 23 April 2015, 10:41:50 ---
--- Quote from: redbanshee on Thu, 23 April 2015, 10:30:25 ---
--- Quote from: Binge on Wed, 22 April 2015, 18:35:56 ---
--- Quote from: redbanshee on Wed, 22 April 2015, 12:42:01 ---Binge, thank you for creating this inspirational and extremely helpful thread! I have taken the plunge and started casting keycaps and used materials recommended by you with great(ish) results. You have great suggestions, and the pics you post are great! Especially helpful for me are the silicone mold pics.

Now, I am ready to take the next step and I was wondering, in your opinion, what is more important piece of equipment, a Vacuum degassing chamber, or a Pressure Pot? I plan to get both eventually but I was wondering your opinion on which one helps the most with eliminating bubbles?

--- End quote ---

Both are used for different purposes.  Casting under pressure reduces formation of extra gasses in the mold and vacuum degassing removes existing gasses from the mix.  Consider how each of those techniques align with your goals and choose what works for you.

I chose pressure first and it allowed me to get started.  If you still don't feel informed enough please do more research on why the machines are used in the process.  They target different problem areas in the process of resin casting.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, I think im going to go with the vacuum chamber first as I am not only casting keycaps but I have another project that I am doing in conjunction that requires very soft (45D) urethane in a larger mold that would benefit more from pre-pour degausing more then a pressure pot im thinking. The larger mold end result casts dont really matter if there are bubbles in it. That and the vacuum chambers are much more readily available.

As for pressure pots, I found a decent one on the artmolds website I think im going to get in a few months. What I really need is a hint as to where to get an air pump that does both vacuum and compress in one unit. Any hints?  :D

Also, and you don't have to answer this if you dont want. Are your current end-product keycaps both degaussed and pressurized?

--- End quote ---

Beware the artmolds pressure chamber I would recommend what I always recommend, but  I think you should take this convo over to my 'Let's talk shop...' thread.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=70967.0

--- End quote ---

Is the artmolds pot no good?

Binge:

--- Quote from: redbanshee on Thu, 23 April 2015, 10:52:19 ---From the Capcraft Hub:

--- Quote from: Binge on Thu, 23 April 2015, 10:41:50 ---
--- Quote from: redbanshee on Thu, 23 April 2015, 10:30:25 ---
--- Quote from: Binge on Wed, 22 April 2015, 18:35:56 ---
--- Quote from: redbanshee on Wed, 22 April 2015, 12:42:01 ---Binge, thank you for creating this inspirational and extremely helpful thread! I have taken the plunge and started casting keycaps and used materials recommended by you with great(ish) results. You have great suggestions, and the pics you post are great! Especially helpful for me are the silicone mold pics.

Now, I am ready to take the next step and I was wondering, in your opinion, what is more important piece of equipment, a Vacuum degassing chamber, or a Pressure Pot? I plan to get both eventually but I was wondering your opinion on which one helps the most with eliminating bubbles?

--- End quote ---

Both are used for different purposes.  Casting under pressure reduces formation of extra gasses in the mold and vacuum degassing removes existing gasses from the mix.  Consider how each of those techniques align with your goals and choose what works for you.

I chose pressure first and it allowed me to get started.  If you still don't feel informed enough please do more research on why the machines are used in the process.  They target different problem areas in the process of resin casting.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, I think im going to go with the vacuum chamber first as I am not only casting keycaps but I have another project that I am doing in conjunction that requires very soft (45D) urethane in a larger mold that would benefit more from pre-pour degausing more then a pressure pot im thinking. The larger mold end result casts dont really matter if there are bubbles in it. That and the vacuum chambers are much more readily available.

As for pressure pots, I found a decent one on the artmolds website I think im going to get in a few months. What I really need is a hint as to where to get an air pump that does both vacuum and compress in one unit. Any hints?  :D

Also, and you don't have to answer this if you dont want. Are your current end-product keycaps both degaussed and pressurized?

--- End quote ---

Beware the artmolds pressure chamber I would recommend what I always recommend, but  I think you should take this convo over to my 'Let's talk shop...' thread.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=70967.0

--- End quote ---

Is the artmolds pot no good?

--- End quote ---

Very few premade pressure chambers are safe.  You really want something that is ASME rated.  If you care for yourself or anyone around you it is very important to have something that won't blow up on you.

Artmolds is reselling chinese pressure pots made of cheap steel.

Firebolt1914:
For pressure pots, I would contact mkawa. He knows a great deal about them

mkawa:
happy to answer questions here. it's a place, and that way i don't have to repeat myself as many times as usual or lose long PMs over and over again to the dumb refresh button XD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version