Author Topic: The elusive 1800 layout keyboard  (Read 25603 times)

Offline retoid

Re: The elusive 1800 layout keyboard
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 11:53:43 »
Nice colour retoid! Looking forward how the finished product looks  :thumb:

Thank you very much, I've got switches for it but am still on the lookout for keycaps for it. Kinda struggling to find some that would look good and that are in stock somewhere. Any suggestions? :D So far grays and light beiges with accents of other teal/blue colors seems to be looking nice with this teal case color.
I've got some DSA RETRO BEIGE keycaps coming from KPRepublic which will probably work nicely. But I placed that order a while ago and am getting no response form that company and the tracking number says it's invalid. So I am a bit worried that those will fall through.

GMK Dots would looks really good with it I think, but I don't think I could use those keycaps haha, also I don't think they come in the sizes I need them in. Navy with some colorful accents/legends would probably look nice also.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 January 2021, 12:01:44 by retoid »

Offline m_v_k

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 15:33:15 »
Really hoping the high-profile Shift keyboard from Drop comes back. I already requested for the barebones because I know which keycaps and switches I want to put into it.

Offline Bamboo238

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 08:41:38 »

Thank you very much, I've got switches for it but am still on the lookout for keycaps for it. Kinda struggling to find some that would look good and that are in stock somewhere. Any suggestions? :D So far grays and light beiges with accents of other teal/blue colors seems to be looking nice with this teal case color.
I've got some DSA RETRO BEIGE keycaps coming from KPRepublic which will probably work nicely. But I placed that order a while ago and am getting no response form that company and the tracking number says it's invalid. So I am a bit worried that those will fall through.

I personally like the tried and true beige sets - think it would definitely look good with teal. Especially since the colour already does the talking. Then you don't have the keycaps fighting for attention. I'm not super well versed on the sub-50 end of the keycap spectrum though. Hopefully the dsa retro beige show up soon for you!

Offline retoid

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 23:33:01 »
Really hoping the high-profile Shift keyboard from Drop comes back. I already requested for the barebones because I know which keycaps and switches I want to put into it.

Yeah that looks nice, hopefully they will create more and re-stock soon.

I personally like the tried and true beige sets - think it would definitely look good with teal. Especially since the colour already does the talking. Then you don't have the keycaps fighting for attention. I'm not super well versed on the sub-50 end of the keycap spectrum though. Hopefully the dsa retro beige show up soon for you!

Thanks for the input, I too am hoping they'll show up soon. Tracking finally shows they shipped!

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 09:23:28 »
Looks like there is a new contender for an 1800 board on Drop (not the Shift either).  The Flesports FL980, a hotswap socketed board - nice addition to the line-up for the layout (pre-order set at $110 USD).
Link: https://drop.com/buy/flesports-fl980-rgb-hot-swappable-1800-mechanical-keyboard-kit?utm_placement=1&referer=ULD6SJ&mode=guest_open&utm_campaign=Automated%20Daily%20Promotional%202021-02-02&utm_source=SparkPost&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Daily%20Promotional&utm_content=1612252650652.137972029857349406316981#overview

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline retoid

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 13:49:54 »
Nice, I am glad to see some more options popping up again.

Offline Kristyl

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 12:44:20 »
Re-ran most of the traces to connect to the Kailh hotswap sockets and eliminated the alternative key switch positioning spots to make it more simple.

Would it be possible for you to share your modified PCB files? I'm interested in doing a custom build for the 1800 because of this thread and I want it to have hot swap support. Your build is looking awesome!
Red Scarf III 96, Kira

Offline retoid

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 15:13:35 »
Re-ran most of the traces to connect to the Kailh hotswap sockets and eliminated the alternative key switch positioning spots to make it more simple.

Would it be possible for you to share your modified PCB files? I'm interested in doing a custom build for the 1800 because of this thread and I want it to have hot swap support. Your build is looking awesome!

Sure, here are the files https://github.com/retoid/G80-1800-Retoid
Just be aware though that I have removed the alternate positioning for varying layouts. If you want to add those, you'll have to add them in the PCB project files. You can see how evd13 did this with their PCB and use it as a reference. https://github.com/evyd13/gh80-series/tree/master/GH80-1800
Also I have not yet tested the 1.1 Version of the PCB yet as I am still waiting for the new PCB's to arrive. Although they should work as I only made a few small changes to allow for a 6.25U spacebar instead of 6U and adjusted the keys and key sizes to the left and right side of the spacebar.
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 February 2021, 15:15:37 by retoid »

Offline retoid

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 06 March 2021, 21:27:26 »
It's been a while since I have been able to work more on this custom Cherry 1800. Had to order new PCB's and ended up ordering right before the Chinese new year, finally got them in hands on Friday.
Now just waiting on keycaps to arrive.

« Last Edit: Sat, 06 March 2021, 21:42:39 by retoid »

Offline speedycake

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 07 March 2021, 20:41:06 »
Might be a long shot but figured I'd ask anyway considering PCB MOQs, would you sell one of those PCBs if you happen to have a spare?

Offline retoid

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 07 March 2021, 22:18:57 »
Might be a long shot but figured I'd ask anyway considering PCB MOQs, would you sell one of those PCBs if you happen to have a spare?

Hi, yup I could do that. I have 3 extra PCB's as I only had 5 made. Keeping one for myself and one going to a friend. I had plans to make 3 more customized 1800's by painting them and adding in colored stabs etc. Basically customizing them with everything apart from switches and keycaps then selling them. But if you would want just a PCB, I could sell one to you. Would you be more interested in a populated PCB or non populated? I have all the components to populate them already. But if you are into soldering I fully understand wanting to source the parts and solder it all yourself, it can be fun. Another option would be to have the IC flashed with firmware or not. Either way this is super simple to change at any time so you can fully customize how you want keys to interact and add layers etc. as it's using QMK firmware. (currently I have the Function key, second to right from spacebar set to mute/unmute audio)
Just something to note about these PCB's is that unlike many other custom keyboard PCB's today that include multiple keyswitch positioning's, my PCB does not. As you can see in the picture there is only one location for each keyswitch. So it's set/static to one layout.
This is the layout.

Let me know how you'd be interested in buying one, with what options etc. Probably best to private message me and we can discuss price there.

Offline retoid

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 23:01:26 »
Woohoo, finally finished! Got some keycaps in just today after waiting 2 months!
I am very happy with the project, frankly I think it turned out better than I was expecting it to.

Offline retoid

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 19:47:48 »
Got 2 more in the process of being customized.

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 20:54:28 »
I have four TKC boards and cases that I rotate between work and home.  Two with Box Navy switches(stock & 150g springs), one Box Royal, and one with Kailh Gold switches.  I really wish these were hot swappable as I'd like to swap out the springs in the Royal switches and dump the Gold switches. 

As for the cases, what paint is everyone using? 

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline retoid

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 23:46:48 »
Oh nice! Quite the collection you've got :D
Yeah having the hotswapable option is really nice in my opinion unless you know exactly what switches and specs you want and are dead set on it.

For paint, the first time around for the turquoise/teal color I used Krylon. But this time I decided to order some Montana as I know it's quality paint and comes in several nice colors.
Montana seems to coat more even and better than Krylon as well. I went through nearly an entire can on Krylon on the first case, but barely used up half on this second case when using Montana.
Both had a primer applied before hand too.

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 03:37:37 »
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline retoid

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 12:45:27 »
Currently working on building 2 more custom 1800's and will have them for sale soon. One is painted in #002A32 and the other in #D1D5BC. Not sure if anyone here is interested in one, I will post some more about it soon. Mostly just waiting on some nice fabric cables to arrive.
I also had some custom CAPS, NUM and SCROLL lock replacement stickers made up since the originals had to be removed in order to paint the case.

Offline retoid

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 22:22:00 »
One more pic, all finished. This one is for sale. Includes TTC Blueish White switches.

Offline Kellnari

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 08 August 2021, 13:18:41 »
you can grab an 1800 case and custom pcb more easily than an original MX-1800

PCB-mount Cherry Switches are actually very good. 

The 1800 case is also very easy to find in black unlike a 3000 or 1000 style full-size.

I looked all over for these, everything I found has long been sold out. Same with the PCB's.

Well, you should be able to get a leeku 1800 PCB if you email him. I haven't checked if there are any left though

his email:  leeku11@gmail.com

OR there is this open-source PCB:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=96692.0
https://github.com/evyd13/gh80-series

You can submit the gerbers to somewhere like JLCPCB or another chinese maker, and it shouldn't be that much.  Usually the minimum order is 5 pcbs, but really the prices are so low it's worth checking out.  You would have to hand-solder them though.

For cases, sometimes you can get people to mail you one for the price of shipping, so ask around first, but if not here are some on ebay you can throw some offers at:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cherry-MY1800-Keyboard-White-PS2/164006460723?hash=item262f8bfd33:g:fPQAAOSwkHJf28il

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHERRY-G81-1800LPMUS-2-00-PS-2-Black-Keyboard-D-91275-VERY-GOOD-TESTED-USED-COND/184527659939?hash=item2af6b4a3a3:g:CCwAAOSwTwRfqIYW

hope this helps!

~moose

When ordering a PCB from JLCPCB, what would be the dimensions?
I'm very new to this and really like the 1800 layout but can't find a pcb for it so i was going to order a few.

Offline retoid

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 11:01:09 »
Layer  --   2layers
PCB Thickness  --   1.6mm
Dimensions  --   381mmX149mm