Author Topic: How much Ram does ur Laptop have ??  (Read 9914 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
How much Ram does ur Laptop have ??
« on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 16:03:20 »
Updat: New discussion..

Any yous  use 32gb + ?,  looking @ the 32g maybe.

Upgrad Ram,  Psychosomatic ?

Kind of like getting a new keeb, and then, you feel like your KD has improved 10%

227654-0 227656-1

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: It's not faster, but it FEELS faster.
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 October 2019, 04:51:41 »
~12.5% down on latency and ~12.5% up on read/write - that's a 25% improvement which has to be noticeable ;)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 October 2019, 08:15:14 »
Upgrad Ram,  Psychosomatic ?

Kind of like getting a new keeb, and then, you feel like your KD has improved 10%

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Nice

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 05 October 2019, 08:28:59 »
~12.5% down on latency and ~12.5% up on read/write - that's a 25% improvement which has to be noticeable ;)

I want to berieve,  I berieve..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: How much Ram does ur Laptop have ??
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 13:03:39 »
Updat: New discussion..

Any yous  use 32gb + ?,  looking @ the 32g maybe

Memory nirvana ?  Fast load ?.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 15:19:22 »
I'd have to look but if I remember right, you would need to hit 64gigs before Windows jumps to the next caching level and increases speed. Basically, unless you have a need for it, 32gigs will simply be wasted.  Windows changes cache at various memory levels and I think the next jump after 16 was at 64, not 32 gigs.

And yes, I have 32gigs on the desktop, I have to purposely push it hard to get even close to 16gigs of use. I have yet to see a browser not slow to a crawl before using more than 12gigs of memory, leaving 3 for the OS still.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 16:47:51 »
I'd have to look but if I remember right, you would need to hit 64gigs before Windows jumps to the next caching level and increases speed. Basically, unless you have a need for it, 32gigs will simply be wasted.  Windows changes cache at various memory levels and I think the next jump after 16 was at 64, not 32 gigs.

And yes, I have 32gigs on the desktop, I have to purposely push it hard to get even close to 16gigs of use. I have yet to see a browser not slow to a crawl before using more than 12gigs of memory, leaving 3 for the OS still.

Looking@ 64GB now,  They don't seem to make 2x32 @ cl 15, only goes to cl 19..

Offline Sniping

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 20:41:55 »
i think 32 is plenty. i have 8gb ddr3 on my macbook pro. it's alright, i think i would get 16 if I could, but the i9 32gb laptop i was using this summer felt like overkill. i have a bunch of tabs open at once and that's the only reasonable thing i could think of using it for, so depends on your use case too

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 01:47:59 »

Looking@ 64GB now,  They don't seem to make 2x32 @ cl 15, only goes to cl 19..

For what? Browsing?
If your browser actually needs and can take advantage of 64 gigs (hint, it really can't) then maybe you should be *****ing at the developers or yourself over what you're doing with it because that's ridiculous that something that is essentially a viewer needs that much memory.

I know LOOOTS of geeks who WANT it and think it will help, but I'm telling you, even 32gigs is overkill. The OS can't really use it, the programs can't really use it... You are so far removed from the norm that programmers are not really even working to take advantage of it. And worse, this is in a laptop where you lack the cores and processing power compared to a desktop that has trouble using it. The same applies to cores, though that is more a technical challenge than a matter of not bothering. After about 8 cores/threads the benefits drop off quickly, I suspect this is one reason Intel only bothered with 8 for the I7. You can argue they were being cheap, but having used several systems with 12+ threads, most beyond that would sit idle most of the time. I considered Threadripper when I bought my 8700k and I'm actually glad I didn't, while it's cool watching so many threads in the load monitor it would have been a waste of money as I would rarely if ever be able to really take full advantage of it.

Bottom line is that unless you have a reason you shouldn't go that far beyond what is considered high end for what you intend to do with the system. Besides not being very supported, it's actually possible to hurt system performance this way. It's the opposite of a bottleneck, instead of a component holding something back the other parts end up working extra hard just trying to operate the other component. I've seen benchmarks where 64gigs or too many cores were used and it slowed games, I've also personally seen it happen when using too new of a GPU with a much older CPU, simply using an older GPU resulted in higher FPS because it didn't require as many cpu instructions just to operate. There's a reason system builders try and keep a system balanced.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 October 2019, 01:52:48 by Leslieann »
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline yui

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 03:45:16 »
I have a laptop with 8 GB and an other with 16, i do run into limits with the 8GB fairly often but never on the 16GB if i do nothing stupid. and i do have 128GB (RDIMM DDR3 is cheap) in my tower and yes it is totally useless 100% of the time even when playing with VMs.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline quadcube

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 09:50:47 »
had 16GB on my MacBook Pro, always stayed at 100% with few GB of swap and I recently bought a Mac mini with 64GB of RAM, heck, 90% utilisation (running a single window10 VM)

Offline JP

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 09:56:14 »
8 GB and rarely max out even with a million tabs in Chrome + other applications for development tasks but I have a feeling if I had more ram it would mysteriously be used.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 16:50:39 »
had 16GB on my MacBook Pro, always stayed at 100% with few GB of swap and I recently bought a Mac mini with 64GB of RAM, heck, 90% utilisation (running a single window10 VM)
Ok, but what are you doing with it that is using all that ram? Even if you allocate all of that to Windows it would not use it without a reason.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline yuppie

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 17:55:22 »
I've got 32GB RAM and it's nice. Get it.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline Kavik

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 15:41:06 »
I put 32 GB in my desktop a few years ago because Fallout 4 kept crashing if I kept Chrome open at the same time. Upgrading to 32 GB fixed that problem, but I do sometimes still get weird slow downs when my memory bumps up to or past 16 GB.

My laptop only has 16 GB in it, but I don't come close to using all of it.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 09 October 2019, 01:42:45 »
My work laptop has 8GB of ram and I hardly ever max it out.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 09 October 2019, 12:13:51 »
16GB on both my work laptop and my personal laptop that was my old work laptop

for a laptop that should be more than enough
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 09 October 2019, 15:10:40 »

Tp4 haz the 16gb right now,  but looking at the 32,  am thinking, well if Tp buys the 32 now, There's really NO MORE upgrades, that's it, you can't get faster than that without dropping to CL19.. They're not going to make a CL15 2x32gb kit.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 09 October 2019, 19:10:27 »

Tp4 haz the 16gb right now,  but looking at the 32,  am thinking, well if Tp buys the 32 now, There's really NO MORE upgrades, that's it, you can't get faster than that without dropping to CL19.. They're not going to make a CL15 2x32gb kit.

Anything you are going to do on a laptop this day and age, should not require more than 16 GB of RAM. Anything more, and you should be using a desktop instead.

End of story.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 09 October 2019, 19:46:56 »
Anything you are going to do on a laptop this day and age, should not require more than 16 GB of RAM. Anything more, and you should be using a desktop instead.

End of story.

Yes and no..  it has a low power 6 core cpu, which would be good for a light server. laptops also have NVME ssds these days that has enough bandwidth to get'r'done stuff.   

Instead of the laptop becoming e-waste when it's too slow to handle windows 11, it could be front end to something else.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 09 October 2019, 21:44:46 »
Not getting 32gb, last time, is one of my biggest regrets in life thus far.

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 09 October 2019, 22:27:50 »
16 Gigglebits

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 09 October 2019, 23:26:19 »
1gb  ^-^

227886-0