Author Topic: Hello all!  (Read 2264 times)

Offline dimm0k

Hello all!
« on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 16:50:06 »
In all my years of computing I've never had a mechanical keyboard and until recently never cared to have one until my favorite keyboard finally bit the dust a few days ago when I spilled a cup of water onto it.  I've stumbled upon this site in hopes that I can get some help to narrow down my choices for a new mechanical keyboard.

Offline jcrouse

Re: Hello all!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 16:51:25 »
Welcome

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 16:53:55 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Whatever you choose, make sure you don't spill something on it ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline vbrenny

• what doesn't kill you gives you RSI
Hello all!
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 19:32:04 »
Liquids are my enemies too - already ruined 2 keyboards with water and coke. Fortunately they were cheap rubber domes, but they were the best ones I know back there.

Be welcome! Enjoy your stay...
Owns: Cherry G80-8113 w/ browns.
I'm looking for somebody to proxy a QFR for me. I'll pay. PM me!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 20:08:43 »
Unless the coke actually ate up some of the wiring, you should be able to take a rubber dome completely apart and clean it thoroughly.

People even recommend cycling them through a dishwasher.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline vbrenny

• what doesn't kill you gives you RSI
Hello all!
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 20:15:24 »
Unless the coke actually ate up some of the wiring, you should be able to take a rubber dome completely apart and clean it thoroughly.

People even recommend cycling them through a dishwasher.

I managed to get, in both cases, liquid on the controller. They worked after cleaning, but after 2 weeks both started acting weird and when I checked the PCB there were corrosion points and shorts also.
I have spilled / seem people spill liquids several times on their keyboards, but all of them were reversible.

Mine were not.
Sad :(
Owns: Cherry G80-8113 w/ browns.
I'm looking for somebody to proxy a QFR for me. I'll pay. PM me!

Offline dimm0k

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 07:41:27 »
Usually when you spill liquids on electronics the first thing you do is turn them off...  Dunno why it didn't even occur to me to disconnect the keyboard because it was quite a big spill.  It worked fine at first, but as the day went on it started acting weirder and weirder.  Lesson learned the hard way!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 08:13:16 »

Offline skryl

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 17:52:25 »
Welcome to GH!
Leopold FC200R Otaku MX Brown | Leopold FC200R Otaku MX Blue | SIIG Minitouch XM White | Noppoo Choc Mini MX Red | Ducky 1087 XM Green | Leopold FC200R MX Red | Apple M0116 Salmon Alps | Realforce 86U Topre

Offline Rinsaku

• lorem ipsum
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 04:04:26 »
Welcome to Geekhack! Keyboards are awesome!
Current Boards : Apple m0116 (Salmon Alps), B.Face (Mx Clears), Filco Tkl (Mx Blues), HHKB Pro JP (Topre), Jd45 (78g Zealios), KBParadise v60 (Gateron Yellows), KBParadise v60 (Matias Quiet Click), Kbt Pure (Kailh Bronze), Leopold FC660M (Mx Browns), Minidox (Mod-H), Pok3r (62g Zealios)