Author Topic: I'd like to contribute!  (Read 5441 times)

Offline RedScarlet

I'd like to contribute!
« on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 07:39:15 »
Heloooooo guys!  :)

My name's Brandon and I'm currently living in Malaysia! I just recently got exposed to this awesome large community and also received first ever mechanical keyboard! ;D My loving classmates saved up the cash to get me what I have always dreamed of having, and they got one of the best too! They got me a mechanical keyboard which was a Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 edition with the Cherry MX Blues! :p I mainly use this keyboard strictly for typing as i barely play any games at all. I'm the kind of person who's very intolerable when it comes to people using my keyboard, so I'm planning on upgrading to some blank keycaps in the near future. :p So, I've come to this forum because I admire the enthusiastic posts and the rich content that you guys put out for the community. :D I mostly enjoy reading on workstation setups and the showing off of all your unique keyboards! I plan to gradually modify my keyboard as I gain the confidence over time. I plan to contribute to this community very soon, so keep an eye. ;) And happy typing guys!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: I'd like to contribute!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 14:55:42 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

You have come to the right place if you want some custom keycaps.  Just try not to spend too much :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 21:46:48 »
Spending less is not an option.

Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 14:02:32 »
Very awesome, welcome to Geekhack.

Also good choice on the MX Blues :)

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 01:20:12 »
It would be polite to welcome you but I won't.

For your sake. It seems like you send your time well. Don't Spend too much time here.Just a fair warning.

See you around!! :D
SmallFry! <3

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 02:29:24 »
Great to have you onboard. Just a heads up though, Razer keyboards are generally not liked on here. That's why in those picture threads, you never see any black widows.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 04:37:02 »
Razer keyboards are pretty awesome at the pricepoint they are in

Only downside I would say is the font and the rubbery keycaps that the coating will come off sooner or later but since the OP wants to swap keycaps he basically fixed all the problems already :)

Welcome to GH, hope you enjoy your stay!
Keyboardless

Offline RedScarlet

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 23:30:25 »
Great to have you onboard. Just a heads up though, Razer keyboards are generally not liked on here. That's why in those picture threads, you never see any black widows.

Haha, I've noticed that a fair lot too! Is it because of its build quality or its consumer popularity? Haha, I'm very curious to know.  :)

Offline RedScarlet

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 23:35:28 »
Razer keyboards are pretty awesome at the pricepoint they are in

Only downside I would say is the font and the rubbery keycaps that the coating will come off sooner or later but since the OP wants to swap keycaps he basically fixed all the problems already :)

Welcome to GH, hope you enjoy your stay!

I'll take that to consideration tsangan! Thanks for the tip! To be honest though, the top surface of the keycaps feels superbly built, but the rest of the four sides feels very cheaply coated as if the paint were to chip off at any second. Really appreciate your advice!  ;D

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 01:26:09 »

Haha, I've noticed that a fair lot too! Is it because of its build quality or its consumer popularity? Haha, I'm very curious to know.  :)

It's because back a few years ago, there were quality control issues. If you cracked one open, you can see the horrendous soldering job. A short circuit wouldn't be surprising. Also some of the keys were inconsistent, and "sticks". There were a decent amount of them that just died. Although to be fair, recently Razer cleaned up their act on the soldering. The rubberized caps though will inevitably wear out until you can't see the legends anymore, and that won't get fixed any time soon.

Overall, Razer is a marketing and gimmicky brand, targeted at "gamers". If you never run into problems, then that's great, and I hope for that since it's your first keyboard. Don't let me spoil your joy :)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 01:40:16 »
you can hand over you wallet now! no longer belongs to you
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 03:11:07 »
you can hand over you wallet now! no longer belongs to you

Haha!
SmallFry! <3

Offline RedScarlet

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 10:26:54 »

It's because back a few years ago, there were quality control issues. If you cracked one open, you can see the horrendous soldering job. A short circuit wouldn't be surprising. Also some of the keys were inconsistent, and "sticks". There were a decent amount of them that just died. Although to be fair, recently Razer cleaned up their act on the soldering. The rubberized caps though will inevitably wear out until you can't see the legends anymore, and that won't get fixed any time soon.

Overall, Razer is a marketing and gimmicky brand, targeted at "gamers". If you never run into problems, then that's great, and I hope for that since it's your first keyboard. Don't let me spoil your joy :)

Yeah, I've noticed that too through one of my friends older Black Widows. Kinda seem as if it's really cheaply built, and quite frankly it is. Hopefully they've revamped this new 2013 model and quietly fixed the soldering problem. I haven't quite encountered any inconsistency of the keys so far...that's a good thing.  ^-^ And yes to the new rubberized keycaps as well. And with this new model, they made everything in a matte finish, including the body. I am aware that the coating will sooner or later chip off and I'm pretty prepared for it, haha.  :) Yeah, I do agree that Razer is a bit too mainstream and overpriced for what you get. But it's the easiest to find without the need to import keyboards of other brands to smaller countries like Malaysia; that's why my friends got this for my present!  ;) Nah, I greatly appreciate your information bro. It's people like you that made me come to this forum! Honest and unbiased experienced users!  ;D I tried finding flaws on Razer but nothing showed up on this forum. You should open a thread warning the rest of the users beforehand! Thank you so much.  :)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 20:39:14 »
Welcome to Geekhack! Regardless of my opinion on Razer, I hope you enjoy your board.
I love Elzy

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 17:56:21 »

Yeah, I've noticed that too through one of my friends older Black Widows. Kinda seem as if it's really cheaply built, and quite frankly it is. Hopefully they've revamped this new 2013 model and quietly fixed the soldering problem. I haven't quite encountered any inconsistency of the keys so far...that's a good thing.  ^-^ And yes to the new rubberized keycaps as well. And with this new model, they made everything in a matte finish, including the body. I am aware that the coating will sooner or later chip off and I'm pretty prepared for it, haha.  :) Yeah, I do agree that Razer is a bit too mainstream and overpriced for what you get. But it's the easiest to find without the need to import keyboards of other brands to smaller countries like Malaysia; that's why my friends got this for my present!  ;) Nah, I greatly appreciate your information bro. It's people like you that made me come to this forum! Honest and unbiased experienced users!  ;D I tried finding flaws on Razer but nothing showed up on this forum. You should open a thread warning the rest of the users beforehand! Thank you so much.  :)

Well well, don't be surprised when next year Cooler Master releases their keyboards in your country, as is going to happen here in mine (Brazil) now in December.

Razer Keyboards can really just go to hell after this, cuz simply:

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 with ANSI layout: About US$ 300
Cooler Master Storm Trigger with our native ISO-ABNT (Brazilian Portuguese) layout: About US$ 225

Better overall quality, far better OEM (Costar), more extras (wrist rest and the USB HUB isn't at a retarded position), available on our ISO-ABNT layout and cheaper!

Anyways, welcome to Geekhack!
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 November 2012, 17:57:56 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline RedScarlet

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 21:48:39 »

Well well, don't be surprised when next year Cooler Master releases their keyboards in your country, as is going to happen here in mine (Brazil) now in December.

Razer Keyboards can really just go to hell after this, cuz simply:

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 with ANSI layout: About US$ 300
Cooler Master Storm Trigger with our native ISO-ABNT (Brazilian Portuguese) layout: About US$ 225

Better overall quality, far better OEM (Costar), more extras (wrist rest and the USB HUB isn't at a retarded position), available on our ISO-ABNT layout and cheaper!

Anyways, welcome to Geekhack!

Haha, you're right! :) But is both the keyboards really that expensive? :eek: It's like double the price from the original. .___. It includes shipping fees? But the CM Storm really gives the customers a piece of mind by giving the choices of MX keys to choose from to their likings which I find as a plus. And I totally dig the complimentary wrist wrest! I was so eager to get one for my BW that I bought the one from the picture which was jell based above for about $7. Haha, totally respect your opinion and will take it to consideration. But for now, I'll just be grateful that I can even type on a mechanical keyboard that I own right now.  ;)

Offline wetto

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 22:17:01 »
My country has like, 60% tax fees over imported items, so yeah, prices get doubled...  :(

But well, on some cases it's just due to the god damn brand and other factors.

For an example:

Razer Blackwidow (without backlit) in USA: US$ 70
Razer Blackwidow (without backlit) in Brazil: US$ 200

CM Storm Quickfire Rapid in USA: US$ 70
CM Storm Quickfire Rapid in Brazil (and even has our ISO layout!): US$ 140
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
I'd like to contribute!
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 23:04:29 »
I made that warning thread you spoke of in the keyboard section. The "Warning" Thread
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline RedScarlet

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 02:28:08 »
I made that warning thread you spoke of in the keyboard section. The "Warning" Thread

Haha, that was smart of you! ;D Time to make my debut to 'contribute'. Haha, I'll post in as soon as i get the time. :)

Offline RedScarlet

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 02:39:34 »
My country has like, 60% tax fees over imported items, so yeah, prices get doubled...  :(

But well, on some cases it's just due to the god damn brand and other factors.

For an example:

Razer Blackwidow (without backlit) in USA: US$ 70
Razer Blackwidow (without backlit) in Brazil: US$ 200

CM Storm Quickfire Rapid in USA: US$ 70
CM Storm Quickfire Rapid in Brazil (and even has our ISO layout!): US$ 140

Holy hell. 60%!?  :eek: Nah, I shouldn't be surprised, and I feel you bro. Here in Malaysia taxes put on automobiles are hefty as well :rolleyes: Haha, yeah...the bloody branding. I think the total cost of any mechanical keyboard shouldn't be THAT expensive. It's just the branding, and the fact that the MX switches has to be imported to the factory from Germany. And I think the labor cost shouldn't cost much since they're not handmade and mostly are assembled in an assembly line. Hmm, true. Can't believe the 10keyless keyboards cost so much less for not having just 2/8 of the keyboard. No wonder they're so popular in this forum! Heh. :))

Offline wetto

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 09:11:37 »
It's not really due to them being cheaper. Topre TKL are not cheaper than full-sized ones. FILCO's are just about the same price.

It's just about a fact that, you want more space on your desk. You want a cleaner keyboard, a more usable one, smaller with less unnecessary parts.

Think with me. The distance your right hand travels between your mouse and the keys themselves gets shorter when you don't have the numpad, right? The mouse gets closer to your keyboard and you can switch faster between typing and using the mouse and the fatigue over time also gets reduced.

And, well... Many people just don't use the numeric pad, so why not tossing it away then?

Many, many, many people in here use their keyboards as work tools on offices. That's why they dislike macro keys and their love for TKL keyboards is so great. They just don't want a keyboard that wastes space on their desktops, they want something usable that won't be a bother when their desk is full of papers and other materials.
My collection:
More

Offline RedScarlet

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 02:30:07 »
It's not really due to them being cheaper. Topre TKL are not cheaper than full-sized ones. FILCO's are just about the same price.

It's just about a fact that, you want more space on your desk. You want a cleaner keyboard, a more usable one, smaller with less unnecessary parts.

Think with me. The distance your right hand travels between your mouse and the keys themselves gets shorter when you don't have the numpad, right? The mouse gets closer to your keyboard and you can switch faster between typing and using the mouse and the fatigue over time also gets reduced.

And, well... Many people just don't use the numeric pad, so why not tossing it away then?

Many, many, many people in here use their keyboards as work tools on offices. That's why they dislike macro keys and their love for TKL keyboards is so great. They just don't want a keyboard that wastes space on their desktops, they want something usable that won't be a bother when their desk is full of papers and other materials.

Wow, you really have a point there. I seriously never thought of that. I always thought that full sized keyboards were built to favor left-handers!  :)) It does make a lot of sense. That's the reason I've always adored the Azio Levetron Mech 5 for it's versatility to place the numpad wherever you see fit, be it at the left or right.

:cool:

Yeah, it would make it much more convenient for using a mouse. Haha, I use the numpad all the time, that's why I never really ever thought of having ditch the full sized keyboard for a 10keyless, but some of their lower prices do make me feel quite guilty for having the Razer BW, something like what you mentioned earlier about the CM Storm. The macro keys though I barely touch at all. Yeah, I do find them quite useless and only use them if I'm required to manually paste in my signature at an end of an email. True, space is a factor that I kinda overlooked because I have a large workspace for my stuff. Haha, thanks for the info Wetto!  ;D