Author Topic: Hi from the UK  (Read 2250 times)

Offline tinyblob

Hi from the UK
« on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 09:32:46 »
Hi all! I've been a lurker for a little while, finally signing up.

I don't own much in the way of exciting peripherals, compared to most here anyway. My daily type is an old Raptor-Gaming K1, previous to that I used a Model M. I'm currently shopping for replacements (eyeing up a Filco tenkeyless Ninja).

Hoping to pick up some tips here, and find some new exciting gear to try out!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hi from the UK
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 15:14:48 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Filcos are nice.  CoolerMaster QuickFire Rapids are similar to Filcos, but a bit cheaper.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 09:16:27 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Filcos are nice.  CoolerMaster QuickFire Rapids are similar to Filcos, but a bit cheaper.

Half the price and made by the same OEM...  :))

Now, add the local support, ISO layouts and RMA for CM Keyboards and you have a clear winner.

Anyways, welcome to Geekhack!
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline tinyblob

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 14:30:15 »
Hmm, you say that, but I can't seem to see the Rapid with a UK layout - it always seems to have the USA style enter key. Am I missing something?

Offline wetto

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 17:16:51 »
Hmm, you say that, but I can't seem to see the Rapid with a UK layout - it always seems to have the USA style enter key. Am I missing something?

Yeah, probably you are. Lurk around some more, they even started selling ISO ABNT2 layout keyboards here in Brazil, I doubt they don't sell UK layouts as well.
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline tinyblob

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 05:44:34 »
Thanks for that Wetto - I've actually bought a Rapid since I posted that. They were selling them in the UK layout, but were still showing the US layout in the photographs. I'm using one right now and enjoying it!

Offline wetto

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 05:55:09 »
Thanks for that Wetto - I've actually bought a Rapid since I posted that. They were selling them in the UK layout, but were still showing the US layout in the photographs. I'm using one right now and enjoying it!

Yeah, that's what most of them do. I mean, it also happens here with the models that have our ISO ABNT2 layout.

This is the keyboard they show on pictures:

This is the actual keyboard they sell:

My collection:
More

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 11:14:09 »
You made a good pick = D

Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers