Author Topic: Hiyo! It's my new addiction  (Read 3657 times)

Offline halfkiller

Hiyo! It's my new addiction
« on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 21:41:17 »
Well...... I am officially addicted to mechanical keyboards...... So I thought I might as well join a forum.

Offline osi

Re: Hiyo! It's my new addiction
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 21:50:07 »
I see you took the red pill.

Welcome! Have any boards yet?? :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 22:07:58 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Hope you're not addicted to money - very rarely does more than one addiction end well :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline halfkiller

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 12:19:53 »
Sadly all I own is a Blackwidow Ultimate 2013. I am in the market to buy myself a ducky. I wish I could find a Yellow edition with white switches.... If not I'd settle for a yots with blues :P. If not, I may build myself a phantom board with whites.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 18:27:37 »
Setting your sights a bit high :p

Still, many would say that almost any Ducky would be a step up from the BWU!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline halfkiller

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 20:36:32 »
I don't know if that was sarcasm or not, but I will go with it as if you meant it.

I spend a metric butt tons on my tech, so why not get myself a nice keyboard? I am watching a Ducky Shine 3 YOTS on Ebay that has no bids and si priced at $150 plus s/h. However, I would love a Ducky with some whites. I love whites. If not I may go with some Greens.

Offline halfkiller

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 20:39:10 »
On a side note .... I WILL be buying a Model M soon.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 20:42:00 »
I don't know if that was sarcasm or not, but I will go with it as if you meant it.

I spend a metric butt tons on my tech, so why not get myself a nice keyboard? I am watching a Ducky Shine 3 YOTS on Ebay that has no bids and si priced at $150 plus s/h. However, I would love a Ducky with some whites. I love whites. If not I may go with some Greens.
There are people here that would be willing to swap switches for you. It cost a little, and you have ship your board away for a bit, but its always an option. Alternatively you could swap them yourself with a bit of soldering.
But anyway, welcome to Geek Hack! ;D

Offline halfkiller

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 21:02:25 »
I was tempted to just solder whites onto this board, but I reeeeeeaaaaaaly dislike the bulk of it, and I never use the macros, so i wouldn't really need them. I am tempted to just dive in and build a custom board..... I have friends with 3d printers and cnc mills.... I cold probably get a pretty sweet case made by them :P.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 21:21:25 »

Yellow (limited edition) Ducky with white (rare) switches - expensive.

Ducky YotS (limited edition) - even more expensive.

Just sayin' that you're not looking for something simple, like a Ducky Zero or a QFR :)

Offline halfkiller

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 23:02:47 »
Ehhhhh. I don't like the zero :P . Shine 3 would be the lowest I'd go . Hehe.... I sound like a snob... sorry. I bought a entry mech keyboard already... I want to dive into my addiction and treat myself. I may be able to get this YOTS for $150-$200... I paid $156 and some change for my BW when it was released. (bought it at wal mart .... price hike )

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 10:06:37 »
Welcome and enjoy your stay! :-)
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline halfkiller

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 10:28:48 »
Welcome and enjoy your stay! :-)

I shall good sir !

Offline halfkiller

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 22:20:29 »
Still have yet to find a decent board. I would kill for a board that has a tactile (no brown)  or clicky switch with a white or blue backlight. (Or no backlight).
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 August 2014, 23:21:22 by halfkiller »

Offline halfkiller

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 22:21:14 »
Oh, and Ducky or Filco T.T ... Or a topre board. ... Due to my budget this is a hard feat. *Sigh*

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 05:47:58 »
Have you had a look around http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/ ?

Probably the biggest and best mechanical keyboard vendor in the US.

Make sure you have a look at the incoming keyboard stock page too, in case one you want is not currently in stock.

Offline halfkiller

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 13:22:37 »

Make sure you have a look at the incoming keyboard stock page too, in case one you want is not currently in stock.
I did know about that website, but I never knew about the incoming section. THANKS! They will be getting ducky legends instock and some Vortex full size with MX Whites!

I was hoping to be able to buy a keyboard from someone here at a cheaper price, but sadly I haven't found anything.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 August 2014, 13:25:19 by halfkiller »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 15:15:09 »

I did know about that website, but I never knew about the incoming section. THANKS! They will be getting ducky legends instock and some Vortex full size with MX Whites!

I was hoping to be able to buy a keyboard from someone here at a cheaper price, but sadly I haven't found anything.

Now that depends on how patient you are.

Almost anything come sup here for sale from time to time, but could be months away.

Offline halfkiller

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 15:54:34 »
Well,  thank you!  I will have to keep an eye on the classifieds. 

Offline halfkiller

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 17:04:08 »
I shall be getting a 60% with white back lighting and a tkl or full size topre.  I have made my decision!

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 17:51:41 »

oh and welcome to geekhack

Offline halfkiller

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 18:20:21 »
Show Image

oh and welcome to geekhack

What a wonderful gif

Offline halfkiller

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 22:13:11 »
I just bought a ducky shine 2 tkl for 59.99 shipped...  Brand new!!  Now I am on the hunt for a topre,  buckling Springs,  and 60%.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 22:31:05 »
I just bought a ducky shine 2 tkl for 59.99 shipped...  Brand new!!  Now I am on the hunt for a topre,  buckling Springs,  and 60%.

Excellent price!

Maybe as it is the older model?  Still, my two Ducky Shine version 1 are going strong after about two years!

Offline halfkiller

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 00:12:48 »

Excellent price!

Maybe as it is the older model?  Still, my two Ducky Shine version 1 are going strong after about two years!

Great to hear. I have a blackwidow ultimate that is still functioning with some custom quakecon limited edition keycaps that will most likely get my money for this board back and perhaps then some .

Offline Daspartic

• IBM is love IBM is life
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 04:45:11 »

Nice find, and welcome to Geekhack.  BTW, get the TKL topre!
IBM Displaywriter (82 key) | IBM Model F 4704 (107 key) |  IBM Model F AT x3 | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 3104 x2 | IBM 6112884 (Green Tee mount Alps) | Realforce 87u (55g) | IBM Model M 1390131 x2 | IBM Model M (1391401 '88) | Leopold FC500R (MX Browns) | Wang (725-5971) (Salmon Alps) | Acer 6011 (SKCM Blue Alps) | White Fox (65 g Zealios) | XMIT keyboard (Hall Effect)

Offline halfkiller

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 21:11:23 »

Nice find, and welcome to Geekhack.  BTW, get the TKL topre!

Plan on it. The apartment I am moving into will only have a standard sized L desk.