Author Topic: New user, no keyboard  (Read 3774 times)

Offline aklt

New user, no keyboard
« on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 11:11:58 »
Hi all,

I have been lurking here for about a month as part of my month long quest to find the
ultimate keyboard for me to work with.  I am currently mostly interested in the Filco Majestouch
Ninja Tkl, but i am still considering some of the cheaper Cooler Master keyboards.

Since I will purchase a keyboard in the near future I thought it was time to make an account :-)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: New user, no keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 11:14:16 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Good luck with your purchase. It sounds like you have some quality prospects in mind.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 12:28:47 »
Welcome! Good luck with the purchase, and if you ever need help spending money you know where to find us!  :))

Offline aklt

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 17:26:59 »
Thanks for the welcome!

I code a fair bit on my computer, but also get into some music production here and there
and I have been using mostly very cheap and horrible keyboards.  I am curious to see what
it is like to work with a quality keyboard.  My aim is to invest in a good keyboard that will
last me a long time,...

I have also considered the Novatouch, but it seems that the more safe bet for a durable and long
lasting keyboard is one based on the cerry MX switches,.. hmm.  Will have to do more research

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 01:30:04 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Either Filco or a QFR (or perhaps even QFR-I) will make a great first keyboard.

The Novatouch is a bridge between the Topre world (with Topre switches) and MX (compatible with MX keycaps).  Although Topre switches themselves can take a little getting used to.  Novatouch is also only available in 45g, whereas Cherry MX switches come in all sorts of noise and tactility (or otherwise) levels.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mbrown559

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 12:58:14 »
Thanks for the welcome!

I code a fair bit on my computer, but also get into some music production here and there
and I have been using mostly very cheap and horrible keyboards.  I am curious to see what
it is like to work with a quality keyboard.  My aim is to invest in a good keyboard that will
last me a long time,...

I have also considered the Novatouch, but it seems that the more safe bet for a durable and long
lasting keyboard is one based on the cerry MX switches,.. hmm.  Will have to do more research

With all the different switch types, weights, and manufactures out there I would highly suggest your first purchase being some sort of switch tester to try and identify what type of switch you like.  This is something that is entirely personal preference and everyone likes feeling something different with their keyboard.  With that said my favorite switch type is 62G Lubed ErgoClears.  I think your choice of Filco or QFR is a great choice, but what switches you want changes everything.

Hope you enjoy your stay and find a great keyboard during your quest :)

Offline aklt

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 11:33:17 »
Hey, thanks for the heads up!

I did visit my local computer store where they have a Cherry MX keytester and I think I
liked the brown switches the best.  It is hard to tell since pushing a single key in the
store is different to working hours with a whole keyboard of course,...

I just ordered the filco Majestouch Ninja TKL with brown switches, so now I am waiting
curiously!  It will be great to switch out my crappy Logitech K120 keyboard ;-)

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 11:39:08 »
Hey, thanks for the heads up!

I did visit my local computer store where they have a Cherry MX keytester and I think I
liked the brown switches the best.  It is hard to tell since pushing a single key in the
store is different to working hours with a whole keyboard of course,...

I just ordered the filco Majestouch Ninja TKL with brown switches, so now I am waiting
curiously!  It will be great to switch out my crappy Logitech K120 keyboard ;-)

If you have a frys or bestbuy local, they usually have a few keyboards on display
Hi :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 05:07:15 »
Actually I just realised ... based on your thread title, how did you type that post if you have no keyboard? :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline aklt

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 07:49:22 »
Heh, good question. :-) I have this plastic think which I flap my hands on to get some text out,
I guess it is a keyboard :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 05:19:28 »
Heh, good question. :-) I have this plastic think which I flap my hands on to get some text out,
I guess it is a keyboard :)

Does it feel like a sponge?  Probably rubber dome/membrane - barely a keyboard :p

Offline aklt

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 08:45:28 »
Ya, it's a Logitech K120, got it from am friend, who wasn't using it, ... but SOON things will
change for my desktop :-)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 06:27:22 »
Don't forget the what you got in the mail thread to post pics when your new acquisition arrives :)

Offline aklt

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 09:18:02 »
Hehe, good point.  I was hoping something would arrive today, but I have not been so lucky,... Monday!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 00:00:44 »
Hehe, good point.  I was hoping something would arrive today, but I have not been so lucky,... Monday!

Weekend post?  Lucky you!  (Or at least the possibility of weekend post.)

Nothing gets delivered on the weekend down here.

Offline aklt

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 04:49:51 »
At least I think that they bring things out in the weekend... I could be wrong though.  I worked as
a reserve for bringing out post long time ago and there were some packages there sometimes :-)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 06:09:40 »
At least I think that they bring things out in the weekend... I could be wrong though.  I worked as
a reserve for bringing out post long time ago and there were some packages there sometimes :-)

You hear tales from time to time about deliveries on weekends.  It would be nice - something to do on the weekends (not that I have any spare time on the weekends!).

Offline aklt

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 16:11:11 »
Sorry for the late reply. I have been travelling and have had an awful lot to see to,
so I have not been as much in front of a computer as I would have liked to.  That changes
now however :-)

I now have a Filco Majestrouch Ninja Tkl and I am very happy with it!

I was never really a 10 finger touch typist, even though I have been using computers for more than 25 years,
but I can say that these MX-brown keys have really made a difference and I enjoy typing much more.

Really glad that I bought this keyboard!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 05:47:48 »
The Filco is a good solid keyboard, should last you for many years.  I can touch type, but generally don't, as most of my typing is programming or system administration stuff with as many symbols as letters.

Offline aklt

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 23:30:33 »
I am in the same boat, but I think that my practice of touch typing has helped me when
I code.  At least to some degree.  Of course grokking code and especially debugging are
still the larger part, but I have come to appreciate typing as an art in itsself.

I have even become tempted to write some prose at some time, hehe :-)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 01:00:18 »
I end up doing documentation from time to time, and touch typing definitely helps there.