Author Topic: Can I physically remap a keyboard like the Truly Ergonomic?  (Read 3324 times)

Offline tekkendama

Can I physically remap a keyboard like the Truly Ergonomic?
« on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 16:49:13 »
Hi, guys, I really enjoy checking this forum out from time to time because it's filled with smart people who are passionate about living in harmony with technology. Unfortunately I don't know much about keyboards besides the basic stuff.

I was wondering whether I could physically (or even with software) remap a keyboard with mechanical switches like the Truly Ergonomic. For example take it apart and assign it my own key codes. For example, could I change the Left Spacebar (key code 15D on Autohotkey Key History) to Backspace (00E on AHK History) and then change the Backspace (the one between B and N on the physical keyboard which shows up as 00E on AHK History) to some random key like 079 (or whatever)?

I have no clue so I was curious to see if any of you knew. Thanks a lot.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Can I physically remap a keyboard like the Truly Ergonomic?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 17:11:11 »
It's much easier to get a programmable replacement controller (and I believe there are some Teensy/Arduino based dongles), if the keyboard itself doesn't support programming.

There's thread about hacking TE firmware.

BTW welcome to wallethack!

Offline tekkendama

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 17:36:07 »
That's really amazing. I will investigate Teensy and Arduino further. The idea of using a totally different kind of controller never crossed my mind. I didn't even think it was possible to use those kinds of devices for already made electronics! (You can imagine my ignorance...).

And that TE Hack thread is definitely what I needed. Again I will investigate further :)

Offline Tracer

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 18:38:57 »
It's much easier to get a programmable replacement controller (and I believe there are some Teensy/Arduino based dongles), if the keyboard itself doesn't support programming.

There's thread about hacking TE firmware.

BTW welcome to wallethack!

I don't think this is an easy undertaking with the TE board. It's design is not suited to replacement of the IC in any way.

Offline ☠☠☠

• Neo Layout - German Ergonomic Keyboard Layout
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 02:01:25 »
I just wanted to say that it is really easy to reprogram the TE keyboard. Just use the speradsheet mentioned in the firmware hacking thread and if you are on linux you can use the small script here to get the USB HID ID numbers of the keyboard keys. So that you do not have to search in a list.

Now my Truly Ergonomic Keyboard really is ergonomic—without having to poke around with Xmodmap, AHK or such. Just plug it in and it works as expected on every computer.

Offline RightOpp

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 06:00:13 »
I've managed to get a good freelancer to write a remap for me and it is quite possible to almost duplicate the Maltron layout that I use on my Maltron keyboard. So yes, a software remap works well. The left space bar became  the letter e which was my biggest challenge. I had trouble mapping the two space bars at first. I've also modified the bottom centre key to be backspace because it's a frequently hit key and the right or left thumb can reach it easily without moving your fingers from the home row.  As an aside, I'm thinking that the flat plane on the TE is superior for typing speed compared the the curved bowls of  the Maltron. This could become a truly great keyboard. Their support is woeful.