Author Topic: Shadow spiders and other creatures in the corner of your eye  (Read 2649 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Shadow spiders and other creatures in the corner of your eye
« on: Fri, 09 June 2023, 01:33:46 »
This is a fairly consistent thing for me now. In the peripheral of my vision I'll see a large black spider sitting or skittering on the wall, then when I look there is nothing there. It only seems to happen indoors while I am still or sitting. I know there is not a giant shadow spider next to me, but I always look anyway. It used to be way back when I was able to stay awake for multiple days I'd see shadow cats and snakes on the floor, so sleep deprivation is the closest comparison for explaining this. My doc said it could be stress related? Stress spiders in the corners of my mind's eye? Is that real?  :eek:

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Shadow spiders and other creatures in the corner of your eye
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 09 June 2023, 05:36:33 »
Atherosclerosis that's occurring in your visual system may generate more floaters, or increased eyeball pressure which then squishes wrinkles your receptor field, as you move your eye around,  it's similar to what kids do by pressing their eyes to see stars, but less overt.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 June 2023, 07:47:55 »
My experience is that these things gradually increase with age, and especially in low light conditions.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 10 June 2023, 12:16:14 »
They're a common hallucination, I believe. Probably becomes more common with age.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 18 June 2023, 11:27:20 »
Human eyes are not "designed" to be used after 40 years, so lots of crap will happen once you get older :)
Sounds like effects you will see when you have higher intraocular pressure - I was told that by my ophthalmologist, as I have high intraocular pressure and developing slowly glaucoma.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 18 June 2023, 20:25:59 »
Added Lutein and Zeaxanthin to my daily supplements, perhaps it will help with maintaining my vision as I slip into middle-age  :(