Author Topic: .  (Read 7696 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Re: Post Count (Voting?)
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 05:33:07 »
New Members also does not count towards post count.

Understandable  What about setting it up to where you can't post in any of the forum sections until they at least make a "Hi my name is..." type post in the new members area?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 05:35:58 »
A surprising number of new members' first posts are in the keyboard section, asking what type of keyboard to get.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 05:37:45 »
I don't think we need to turn this place into reddit or Facebook with "like" buttons or up/down votes (thank god we don't have those) But since people aren't using heatware as much as they should we should have our own "heatware" for GH. Or how eBay has a "leave feedback" option. This should be for trades and sales only tho. Our personal opinion of someone based on topics or input shouldn't come into account. The minute I see "if this post gets 100 likes ill do ______" on GH I'm outa here.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 05:41:50 »
Would it be possible to put a requirement to read a stick regarding some basic info?  Such as no switches are better than any other switch for what ever task be it data entry, programming, or gaming.  Could put in some other basic ettiqute stuffs in there as well.  Also a good thing in there would be to ask new member to read at least the OP in stickies before posting in forum sections?

I don't think we need to turn this place into reddit or Facebook with "like" buttons or up/down votes (thank god we don't have those) But since people aren't using heatware as much as they should we should have our own "heatware" for GH. Or how eBay has a "leave feedback" option. This should be for trades and sales only tho. Our personal opinion of someone based on topics or input shouldn't come into account. The minute I see "if this post gets 100 likes ill do ______" on GH I'm outa here.

Hence my idea for limiting how many times a person can like a post.  Once per person per post ever.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 05:50:11 »
Another forum I am a member on has one section where each thread is a member's name, and in that thread you are supposed to post feedback about sales and trades.  No other posts are permitted.  Then if you want to trade with someone, just read their feedback thread.

There is a possibility that a system like that would be open to abuse e.g. people claiming something nasty against someone they don't like, and disputes might occur if one feels cheated and the other doesn't see it the same way.

But that other forum is much smaller than GH and most members are very well behaved.  (Not saying GHers are not well-behaved, but there have been a few who sow dissent amongst the ranks).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 05:54:29 »
Hence my idea for limiting how many times a person can like a post.  Once per person per post ever.
[/quote]Thats exactly what I mean. You can only like a post once on Facebook too and it just becomes a giant fishing derby for "likes" and is probably one of the most annoying things ever. "If 1000 people like this post my girlfriend says she will have sex with me" "If 1000 people like this post I won't rape my dog tonight". This place would be flooded with that kind of crap. Do you really want that here? I certainly don't. (Okay the dog one is an exaggeration but you know what I mean haha)
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 06:01:16 »
Irregardless of what happens based on this thread you can't please everyone.  I'm not really worried about it.  If people get that worked up about it just do away with all of it.  I would have to see it become like the ElitistJerks.com forums where it seem like you can get banned for using a : instead of ;. 

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 06:22:47 »
Irregardless of what happens
Irregardless of what
Irregardless of
Irregardless Irregardless Irregardless Irregardless

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 06:27:44 »
Thats exactly what I mean. You can only like a post once on Facebook too and it just becomes a giant fishing derby for "likes" and is probably one of the most annoying things ever. "If 1000 people like this post my girlfriend says she will have sex with me" "If 1000 people like this post I won't rape my dog tonight". This place would be flooded with that kind of crap. Do you really want that here? I certainly don't. (Okay the dog one is an exaggeration but you know what I mean haha)
[/quote]

I don't think this would happen because we're not all morons.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 07:12:28 »
Well to me post count helps to distinguish who is active or not. I may be more inclined to trade with someone who I know uses GH daily rather than someone who's been here since 2011 with only 100 posts. It tells me that when I send a PM I'll hear back from them quickly or not. For this reason posts should definitely count in ALL threads. Yes GH is a keyboard forum but that doesn't mean we MUST talk about keyboards or that any other subject/opinion is less important or meaningful. If post count doesn't matter to you then why would you even care if "YGPM" or "GLWS" or "^ +1" counts or not? It still shows the members activity. If you truly don't care about post counts then you really shouldn't care if we have them or not.

I dunno, if off-topic posts counted I would probably be somewhere in the 3k region, but then having 3k posts from off-topic discussion is only a little better than bumping your count with GLWS spam in the classifieds as it has nothing to do with keyboards (usually.) Then again, who the **** cares about post count? When I trade with someone I usually check their date of sign up.

If you look at your profile and view posts you can go to the last page and see how many times you have posted everywhere.

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 08:57:35 »
Well to me post count helps to distinguish who is active or not. I may be more inclined to trade with someone who I know uses GH daily rather than someone who's been here since 2011 with only 100 posts. It tells me that when I send a PM I'll hear back from them quickly or not. For this reason posts should definitely count in ALL threads. Yes GH is a keyboard forum but that doesn't mean we MUST talk about keyboards or that any other subject/opinion is less important or meaningful. If post count doesn't matter to you then why would you even care if "YGPM" or "GLWS" or "^ +1" counts or not? It still shows the members activity. If you truly don't care about post counts then you really shouldn't care if we have them or not.

I dunno, if off-topic posts counted I would probably be somewhere in the 3k region, but then having 3k posts from off-topic discussion is only a little better than bumping your count with GLWS spam in the classifieds as it has nothing to do with keyboards (usually.) Then again, who the **** cares about post count? When I trade with someone I usually check their date of sign up.

If you look at your profile and view posts you can go to the last page and see how many times you have posted everywhere.

Nope, there are hundreds of my posts that aren't there because of their Ripster purge.
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 09:04:10 »

Nope, there are hundreds of my posts that aren't there because of their Ripster purge.

??? sadly I missed out on the experience that is ripster

So looking at your posts in your profile will show all your posts (except those that have been deleted)

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 09:30:51 »
I believe all the Ripster purge posts (including my own) still exist in a separate part of GH as right after the purge I noticed that my post count was a few hundred higher than the number of posts I could see when I clicked "show posts". Even now that I've been posting in places that don't count all the time I still haven't made up that difference. My post count is 1850, but "show posts" shows 1821. If they ever make it so that all posts count I'll be able to see the exact number of my posts that they have effectively deleted (but are actually hidden).
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 09:34:02 »
I believe all the Ripster purge posts (including my own) still exist in a separate part of GH as right after the purge I noticed that my post count was a few hundred higher than the number of posts I could see when I clicked "show posts". Even now that I've been posting in places that don't count all the time I still haven't made up that difference. My post count is 1850, but "show posts" shows 1821. If they ever make it so that all posts count I'll be able to see the exact number of my posts that they have effectively deleted (but are actually hidden).

In other words....it sounds like post inception.....:eek:

I for one think we should just show all the posts since we all agree the numbers don't matter.

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 09:34:57 »

In other words....it sounds like post inception.....:eek:

I for one think we should just show all the posts since we all agree the numbers don't matter.

Agreed. Show all or show none.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites