« on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 14:11:10 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 October 2014, 17:56:22 by esoomenona »

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
Re: Post Count (Voting?)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 14:12:27 »
People worry about their post counts WAY too much....let it be :)

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 14:13:35 »
The only time people actually care about their post count is when they need 60 to dump their **** in the classifieds section.

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 14:16:31 »
I think post count usually represents either maturity or seniority in the community, with obvious exceptions. Most of the time, those whom have 1k+ are usually more knowledgeable than those with only about 100. That's just how I see it.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 14:21:21 »
spam is really really really annoying...

so this is kinda a good thing imo

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 14:23:20 »
I think post count usually represents either maturity or seniority in the community, with obvious exceptions. Most of the time, those whom have 1k+ are usually more knowledgeable than those with only about 100. That's just how I see it.

I disagree, there are several users with high post counts here that spam garbage, hosted a horrible group buy or treat the forums like the IRC channel. I've read posts from several users with a very low post count that actually contributed helpful and knowledgeable information. (I'm not one of them) :)

Post count means nothing to me. What is more valuable is positive/negative feedback in the Classifieds and Group Buy sections plus a voting system on posts.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 14:23:45 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 October 2014, 17:56:31 by esoomenona »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 14:27:48 »
spam is really really really annoying...

so this is kinda a good thing imo

Nobody likes spamray?? :( :-[ :'(

???

but I thought once you got to 4000 posts you got a free goodie bag from tehkeys  8)

So where we are in regard to post counting is kind of silly. I could understand where posts in off topic didn't count, and even those in new members. But with the change in posts not counting in the classifieds, it's just become silly. Why are we sitting in the middle here? We should either let them count or abolish them altogether.

I personally like this quote

meh, that's already called off-topic, and i'm fine with it adding to post counts.

:thumb:

I disagree, there are several users with high post counts here that spam garbage, hosted a horrible group buy or treat the forums like the IRC channel. I've read posts from several users with a very low post count that actually contributed helpful and knowledgeable information. (I'm not one of them) :)

Post count means nothing to me. What is more valuable is positive/negative feedback in the Classifieds and Group Buy sections plus a voting system on posts.

there aren't that many people that spam garbage....if you took all those posts away there would probably be a lot less traffic here  ::)

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 14:33:57 »
Dun worry ray, I was talking specifically about the Ergo-Dox convert himself, tp.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 14:51:37 »
Dun worry ray, I was talking specifically about the Ergo-Dox convert himself, tp.

oh ok well TP has his place....

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 14:53:51 »

oh ok well TP has his place....

This is true. He does balance out the community quite well.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 14:54:16 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 October 2014, 17:57:03 by esoomenona »

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 14:56:18 »
I don't fool myself into thinking that some people don't group me with tp4 or other people who they see in a certain light. I just feel that we're in a limbo in that regard. If it bothers so many people, we should just get rid of the count altogether. Or not. Maybe it's just me...

I agree, either you have it or you don't. What the point of counting if only SOME of your posts count?
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 15:07:23 »
I don't fool myself into thinking that some people don't group me with tp4 or other people who they see in a certain light. I just feel that we're in a limbo in that regard. If it bothers so many people, we should just get rid of the count altogether. Or not. Maybe it's just me...

I agree, either you have it or you don't. What the point of counting if only SOME of your posts count?

Dang it I had a nice thought out post and it timed out.....

Oh well what I was thinking is why not count all posts and just say that to post it the classifieds you have to have 120 posts and have been here a month, and/or keep it at 60 and just limit those people's post counts.

I mean who really posts just to increase their post count....?

I just post a lot because geekhack is my escape from the daily crappy life I have!

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 15:33:41 »
I just post a lot because geekhack is my escape from the daily crappy life I have!

Better to be posting there than actually working on that project or report I need to turn in for work. >_>

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 15:35:13 »

Better to be posting there than actually working on that project or report I need to turn in for work. >_>

The trick with work is to be productive when necessary but overachieving would only cause me more work for the same pay.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 02:23:08 »

but I thought once you got to 4000 posts you got a free goodie bag from tehkeys  8)

I didn't get a free goodie bag :(
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 02:37:00 »
Wait, posts don't count in the classifieds anymore?!

So basically our "post count" is just "the number of posts in sanctioned areas". And those areas are being slowly annexed by the administration into their dystopia of "no post count for you".
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 02:43:32 »
Maybe they are trying to encourage people to discuss keyboards.

Nearly every search I do about keyboards brings up GH links first.  By promoting the discussion of keyboards, those kind of searches will only get better.

By dissuading people from spamming Classifieds (so many GLWS posts) and new members (so many "welcome" posts), and even Off Topic (so much ...), people might be more inclined to post in the keyboard areas.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 03:13:38 »
If a "post count" doesn't show the amount of posts a person has made, then it's a different count. Either they should count all posts, or call it something different. I would be fine with either of those, but not what they're currently doing.
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 03:39:50 »
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 August 2013, 03:41:45 by Glod »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 05:38:09 »
I think the post count should be in size 52 font, because it's really important and having it bigger will help new people work out who is the more important on the forum.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 05:44:57 »
I think the post count should be in size 52 font, because it's really important and having it bigger will help new people work out who is the more important on the forum.

No, I think we should replace postcount with e-penis' which get bigger for some reason or other?

In all serious-ness, post count doesn't bother me too much, but maybe we can have a system of thanks? Where if someone posts something useful/helpful you can +1 thier thanks counter?

Just a thought.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 05:50:57 »
In all serious-ness, post count doesn't bother me too much, but maybe we can have a system of thanks? Where if someone posts something useful/helpful you can +1 thier thanks counter?

Just a thought.
People suggested this before. I think it's a great idea.

I don't think postcount matters too much. There are people with a low post count who are very knowledgable, and there are people with a high post count who are incredibly daft.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 06:50:11 »

No, I think we should replace postcount with e-penis' which get bigger for some reason or other?

Great idea! ..and at the end of the year the person with the biggest e-penis gets a cock keycap.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 18:55:55 »

New member post count should be in a really small font, almost illegibly small.  Then it won't matter to them.

As you progress through the levels, the font size should increase, say every 500 or so.

If you start with 6 point, then at 1000 posts it would be 8 point.  By 4000 it would be 14 point.

And so on.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 17:14:30 »
Does anybody know which subforums don't count?

I know off topic and classifieds and new members don't count.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 August 2013, 08:18:21 by SpAmRaY »

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 17:26:59 »
yes!  Abolish post count!  To post in the classifieds we do not need to regard post count, but instead regard a challenge in the octagon!!!!

One newbie enters, one stardard GHer leaves...

#yolo
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 18:09:16 »

I didn't get a free goodie bag :(

Neither did I!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline oluf

• formerly olaph
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 18:12:12 »

Just a thought.

I like this idea! So many posts consist of "^ this" "PAID" "GLWS" "YGPM" etc, it makes the count meaningless.. GH already uses stars too; how many badges do we really need?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 18:31:31 »
Never saw the point of post count. Just shows who spams the most? There's zero weight on how useful your post was, nor does it in any way reflect how long you've been a member here. Counterpoint would be a system like Reddit's upvote/downvote where people can judge the size of your epeen by how much people like what you have to say. People bragging about post count on GH seems like a form of aspergers.

Offline tormentor

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 18:36:25 »
So where we are in regard to post counting is kind of silly. I could understand where posts in off topic didn't count, and even those in new members. But with the change in posts not counting in the classifieds, it's just become silly. Why are we sitting in the middle here? We should either let them count or abolish them altogether.

I didn't even realize my posts weren't counting in certain discussions. I haven't paid that much attention to it but in the grander scheme it makes sense. My opinion probably doesn't matter much yet  if people really do take "low posters" less seriously, but I feel the issues you've all explained can be resolved with a simple minimum word requirement before you can post. For example you need 15+ more words to post, at least it would make people think harder about what they are posting instead of the same old YGPM, GLWS etc.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 19:01:53 »
People bragging about post count on GH seems like a form of aspergers.

It ain't a form of Asperger's...
R.I.P.ster

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 19:16:17 »
Well to me post count helps to distinguish who is active or not. I may be more inclined to trade with someone who I know uses GH daily rather than someone who's been here since 2011 with only 100 posts. It tells me that when I send a PM I'll hear back from them quickly or not. For this reason posts should definitely count in ALL threads. Yes GH is a keyboard forum but that doesn't mean we MUST talk about keyboards or that any other subject/opinion is less important or meaningful. If post count doesn't matter to you then why would you even care if "YGPM" or "GLWS" or "^ +1" counts or not? It still shows the members activity. If you truly don't care about post counts then you really shouldn't care if we have them or not.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 19:25:01 »
Well to me post count helps to distinguish who is active or not. I may be more inclined to trade with someone who I know uses GH daily rather than someone who's been here since 2011 with only 100 posts. It tells me that when I send a PM I'll hear back from them quickly or not. For this reason posts should definitely count in ALL threads. Yes GH is a keyboard forum but that doesn't mean we MUST talk about keyboards or that any other subject/opinion is less important or meaningful. If post count doesn't matter to you then why would you even care if "YGPM" or "GLWS" or "^ +1" counts or not? It still shows the members activity. If you truly don't care about post counts then you really shouldn't care if we have them or not.

I dunno, if off-topic posts counted I would probably be somewhere in the 3k region, but then having 3k posts from off-topic discussion is only a little better than bumping your count with GLWS spam in the classifieds as it has nothing to do with keyboards (usually.) Then again, who the **** cares about post count? When I trade with someone I usually check their date of sign up.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 19:39:35 »

I dunno, if off-topic posts counted I would probably be somewhere in the 3k region, but then having 3k posts from off-topic discussion is only a little better than bumping your count with GLWS spam in the classifieds as it has nothing to do with keyboards (usually.) Then again, who the **** cares about post count? When I trade with someone I usually check their date of sign up.
How does a date of sign up tell you anything about how frequently a member uses the forum? I'm not trying to be argumentative here but it really means nothing on its own. The same way that "Last active" dates can't tell you when a user will be "active next". Now sign up dates in conjunction with post counts can paint a pretty good picture of member activity but only if all posts count.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 August 2013, 19:57:53 by YoungMichael88 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 21:02:53 »
It does give an indication of how long someone has been a member, and how much they have posted.

Yes some people just post a one word or one abbreviation post over and over again.

But after a while that becomes monotonous, and they either drop off the forum or start to make more meaningful posts.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 22:14:09 »
It does give an indication of how long someone has been a member, and how much they have posted.

Yes some people just post a one word or one abbreviation post over and over again.

But after a while that becomes monotonous, and they either drop off the forum or start to make more meaningful posts.
I'm also not convinced that eliminating post counts will stop one word replies or people bumping friends sales threads with "GLWS". I do agree with the OP that the existing rules for post counts are kind of silly. It's either a post count or it isn't. Maybe we should replace it with a post per day average that resets once a week? Still won't stop spam but it will give us a good idea of who is active and who isn't. This may not be a good idea and I'm sure it has its flaws but I'm throwing it out there anyway.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 22:38:05 »
Or only posts above a certain length will count?  That should weed out the "GLWS" and "that looks nice" posts.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 23:18:02 »
Or only posts above a certain length will count?  That should weed out the "GLWS" and "that looks nice" posts.
Yea that would prevent those types of posts from counting and maybe even reduce the frequency of those posts a little bit but they are still posts non the less and show activity on the forum. It's a "post count" not a "select post count based on certain criteria". Well actually I guess right now that's exactly what it is. Posts not counting toward a "post count" is a complete contradiction and makes no sense to me. In order for it to have any relevance it has to accurately represent the number of posts a user has on geekhack with no exclusions. Or else it remains a meaningless number.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 23:37:14 »
Or write a simple script for the website that changes certain phrases and words into something funny or embarrassing.

Ex. "GLWS" --> "I enjoy wearing women's panties"
     "Black Widow Ultimate" --> "Micheal Bay is a genius"
     "Cherry MY" --> "Godswitch"

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 23:38:44 »
Or write a simple script for the website that changes certain phrases and words into something funny or embarrassing.

Ex. "GLWS" --> "I enjoy wearing women's panties"
     "Black Widow Ultimate" --> "Micheal Bay is a genius"
     "Cherry MY" --> "Godswitch"
YES!!! As long as they count!! Haha

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 23:39:54 »
Except "I enjoy wearing women's panties" is neither funny or embarrassing. :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 23:41:42 »

Especially not for women, where that sort of behaviour would be kind of expected.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 00:03:28 »

It was from Curb Your Enthusiasm. "My name is Larry David, and I happen to enjoy wearing women's panties."

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 00:22:43 »

It was from Curb Your Enthusiasm. "My name is Larry David, and I happen to enjoy wearing women's panties."
one of the best shows ever in my opinion. Bring on a new season Larry!! Come on!!!!!

Offline brialona

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 00:25:31 »
why do you care so much about post counts.  post counts are almost worthless
ozil

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 00:37:46 »
why do you care so much about post counts.  post counts are almost worthless
Who are you asking?

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 04:39:00 »
I know that I am still a young pup on these forums but my vote would be the following.

1). Keep the post count as is.  Off topic section and classifieds not counting toward post count.  My reasoning for this is that off topic in my eyes is meant for anything not input device related therefore not really contributing toward the reason of these forums.  They do however contribute toward general online friendships of the members.  And the classifieds are in essence nothing more than a niche market online swap sheet.  The post count does generally provide a bit of insight toward the activity of a member on these forums.

2).  Implement some sort of "respect" system via the +1 vote or an up vote/down vote buttons.  These could be placed under a persons avatar.  I could see this as a being a good thing for some of the new members with being able to see at a glance an approximation of a members level of knoweledge or at least a persons willingness to provide useful information to others.  It shouldn't be to difficult to implement a coupe of restrictions in this such as not being able to +1 any of your own posts and only being able to +1 any one comment only once.

Again I am still fairly new here but just my to caps worth

Melvang
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 05:20:11 »
New Members also does not count towards post count.