Author Topic: [IC] DvZ's Dirt Cheap Storage Trays  (Read 13990 times)

Offline DevilZmods

• Etsy Shop
[IC] DvZ's Dirt Cheap Storage Trays
« on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 12:15:47 »
Introducing DvZ's Dirt Cheap Keycap Trays

279349-0

Hi, I'm DevilZmods, an Industrial Design student from Germany and I've been part of the community for almost two years now. Today I want to present my design for an affordable keycap storage tray.

Imgur Album: https://imgur.com/a/hrZ4DIS

Interest Check Form: https://forms.gle/6PmPo5EtTwiJm9cP7

Discuss on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/r5stqr/ic_dvzs_dirt_cheap_storage_trays/

Estimated Price: 15$

With JTK keycap tray availability dwindling and basically no alternative around I've been looking into getting a custom sorting box made. These sorting boxes can be molded in a single operation, thanks to their living hinge design. If you can offset the mold cost, they get very cheap to manufacture.

The Tray will be transparent and stackable with an interior grid to fit an entire basekit plus spacebars, novelties etc.. It will not be as rigid as a Polycarbonate Tray, but very durable nonetheless.

Characteristics:
  • Material: Polypropylene Plastic
  • Color: Transparent
  • Size: 44cm x 26cm x 2.2cm
  • Capacity: 22u x 12u, space for ISO Enter keys and one BAE
  • Supports all keycap profiles up to SA R1/ MT3 R0

Internal Layout:

279355-1

State of the Product:

Please Fill out the Interest Check Form.

My design is basically ready to manufacture, only waiting on your feedback.

I already have quotes from a few manufacturers confirming that my price target is reasonable and will land even cheaper if we hit significantly more than 1000 units.

Feedback and To Do:
  • Concerns about the wall height making it difficult to pick up caps have been raised with reference to JTK's trays and I will make sure these will do better.
  • With the height of the tray, lower profiles like Cherry, DSA or DSS are bound to shuffle around loosely. A Foam insert could be a very economic solution and I'm looking into it.
  • Multiple people have mentioned a spot to attach a label which is a fantastic idea and will get stolen by me immediately.

Vendors:

Yes please!

Once I have Interest numbers I will contact the usual suspects, but if you'd like your store to be part of the Groupbuy, reach out to me and we can talk numbers.

I am also looking for Vendors who are willing to stock these. I believe these could be an absolute no-brainer to any enthusiast's keycap order.

Timeframe:

Since the design is already fairly polished, I'd like to move into Group Buy as soon as I have numbers from the Interest Check and was able to secure vendors and agree on a timeline with them.

My quotes claim lead times of 4 weeks, though it's probably safer to assume those could double. I'd estimate another 2 months for sea freight from the factory to individual vendors, so 4 months + national shipping from the end of the Group Buy.

More Renders:

279347-2

279357-3

279351-4

279353-5

« Last Edit: Tue, 30 November 2021, 18:06:05 by DevilZmods »

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
Re: [IC] DvZ's Dirt Cheap Storage Trays
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 12:43:00 »
Are these meant to be 1:1 design-wise to JTK Max trays? It'd be great to have a similar design, but one that doesn't squeeze some profiles and also isn't at a height that allows most profiles to fly around easily.

Offline DevilZmods

• Etsy Shop
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 13:33:45 »
Are these meant to be 1:1 design-wise to JTK Max trays? It'd be great to have a similar design, but one that doesn't squeeze some profiles and also isn't at a height that allows most profiles to fly around easily.

I suppose it has to be either or, but i'd rather allow all profiles to fit. The ribs will be made tall enough so different rows don't mix, even when shuffled around, but i'm affraid i can't do much more than that. I could see foam inserts being a viable solution, though it will impede visibility of your caps.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 13:51:46 »
This looks pretty promising, need a place to put all my mt3

Offline WHAT!?

• WHAT!?
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 16:35:24 »
I'm finding out quickly that I need a solution like this. I'd be down to by a couple of these... or more.

Offline growler

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 17:07:38 »
This would be a godsend. I have a few JTK trays, but they are like hen's teeth

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Don't just stare at it ...

Offline AshF

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 17:25:28 »
Been looking into trays for 6 months now so my eyes lit up when I saw this post. Will need around 10 so keeping an eye on this one. GLWIC

Sent from my ASUS_I003D using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 December 2021, 01:07:54 by AshF »

Offline HappyB0T

• I'm a Piggie
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 18:11:24 »
I have tray needs. You make the trays and then I can get rid of my edible ones. Deal?

Offline ItIsWritten

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 18:27:17 »
I guess they're like these, but cheaper?

https://a.aliexpress.com/_v6cwfS

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G986B met Tapatalk

Offline DevilZmods

• Etsy Shop
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 18:39:23 »

In the way that those are exactly like JTK trays but from aliexpress (tbh, migth as well be genuine trays, some of the pics are stolen from drop).

Offline piit79

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 19:15:29 »
Awesome! I'd get a dozen of these. I also run a small EU-based MK shop and would love to stock them, but I just realized they would need large, possibly custom boxes... Will get in touch anyway and we'll see :)

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 20:00:26 »
I'm totally down with this! JTK trays are awesome but ultimately a little overkill for storage. I've searched high & low on Amazon for something like this made of a cheaper plastic, but nothing quite fit the bill. I'd be in for at least 8 of these if not more. Filled out the IC form, GL with this OP!

Offline ItIsWritten

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 01 December 2021, 02:22:46 »

In the way that those are exactly like JTK trays but from aliexpress (tbh, migth as well be genuine trays, some of the pics are stolen from drop).
Yes, but your design is the same. Only the closing mechanism seems different. There's nothing wrong with that, but probably if you make a large enough order, you can get these at the same price or lower already as you are offering them.

Offline Stilou Studio

• Formerly Seo
  • Danish Designed Keyboards
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 01 December 2021, 04:14:13 »
Love it, will definitely get 8-10!
GLWIC

Offline carlouws

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 01 December 2021, 08:33:27 »
I said this in the IC form but I will also say it here for visibility. I would prefer if you either offered a standard tray-like size for GMK/Cherry only or a Max for GMK/Cherry only.

I think I’m in the majority of the hobby that pretty much only buys GMK/Cherry profile caps and those tend to fly around inside the JTK Max trays. I currently use JTK standard trays and even with their quirks of sometimes caps being too tight and stuff, I prefer those over the max. I think the standard trays offer more flexibility for people with only base kits and the option to expand to house more child kits with additional single trays.

Offline Wonderfool

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 01 December 2021, 15:58:57 »
Love it, will definitely get 8-10!
GLWIC

Same here!  This is great - I'm tired of trying to Tetris unequally-sized original boxes and grab-bag sacks.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 02 December 2021, 03:00:03 »
I need a few dozen of these.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline hussar_name

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 02 December 2021, 03:20:35 »
too expensive in my opinion, I use these which are 4 eur each

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333540156696

Offline Dyto69

• 420 blaze it but dont forget 69
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 02 December 2021, 04:22:18 »
yess ill take 5.

Offline Dyto69

• 420 blaze it but dont forget 69
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 02 December 2021, 04:25:25 »
Oh i have a question: Do these trays protect my Keycaps from UV Rays?

Offline hussar_name

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 02 December 2021, 06:27:20 »
Oh i have a question: Do these trays protect my Keycaps from UV Rays?

no
https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/6pc6a9/does_uv_lightradiation_pass_through_clear_plastic/

same with glass, it needs some coating to block a complete spectrum of UV
https://www.thoughtco.com/does-glass-block-uv-light-608316

Offline DevilZmods

• Etsy Shop
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 02 December 2021, 06:54:16 »
I plan on talking to the manufacturers about UV absorbant additives, but their main purpose would be to keep the tray itself from deteriorating over time. I don't think you can get the material UV absorbant enough to confidently store your keycaps in direct sunlight.

Offline Mad_Rhetoric

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 02 December 2021, 10:44:06 »
It has been baffling to me, with the culture's love for any and all things accessories, including storage/display options (IKEA), that these have not been mass-produced by every major vendor. There are options on Aliexpress but they are all ~$30. I love this idea, I have needed storage solutions for this evergrowing collection of half-empty cardboard boxes of keycaps I can't see. I want organization and a way to view my collection %100 in on this. Thank you.

Offline Koniotaur

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 05 December 2021, 11:35:57 »
Will these be less translucent than what jtk is offering?

Offline DevilZmods

• Etsy Shop
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 05 December 2021, 14:42:00 »
Will these be less translucent than what jtk is offering?

At worst just slightly. Polycarb ist definitely the clearer material but I believe these will still be more than suitable to display your keycaps.

Offline hussar_name

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 11 December 2021, 14:59:32 »
It has been baffling to me, with the culture's love for any and all things accessories, including storage/display options (IKEA), that these have not been mass-produced by every major vendor. There are options on Aliexpress but they are all ~$30. I love this idea, I have needed storage solutions for this evergrowing collection of half-empty cardboard boxes of keycaps I can't see. I want organization and a way to view my collection %100 in on this. Thank you.

there are options at tai-hao (in stock)

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 23 December 2021, 16:38:19 »
Any idea of a timeline. Would definitely pick up a couple

Offline ManiacMarc

• Twitch
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 20 January 2022, 16:21:31 »
I just got my first GMK set in the mail today... needless to say, I immediately looked for alternatives for storage. With 7 sets on the way in the next 1-24 months (lol), I'd be down for at least 7 of these.

Offline genevatypes

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 20 January 2022, 17:54:37 »
Still interested in this!

Offline growler

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 21 January 2022, 09:35:25 »
Me too

Offline hussar_name

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 22 January 2022, 03:06:10 »
Meanwhile, me too, I've bought Weston boxes in a4 slim format from Amazon

Offline growler

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 22 January 2022, 04:55:51 »
You rate them highly?

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 22 January 2022, 15:10:07 »
I myself am in agreeance. I don't see any other alternative except keeping them inside their GMK trays or JTK trays. I'd invest in JTK, buuuuuuuuut for someone that has now invested in 30+ key cap sets, these are looking REALLY nice for the price  :D

Offline hussar_name

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 23 January 2022, 08:33:29 »
You rate them highly?

I really like them. Solid, thick, stackable. Nice.

There are different sizes, I like A4 thin because caps don't overlap, you get only one layer.

Offline eddieboyemo

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 10 March 2022, 17:17:49 »
ne update?

Offline spamblock

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 16 May 2022, 16:18:48 »
Any update(s)?

Offline growler

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 21 May 2022, 04:34:22 »
ne upd8

Tappity tap tap tap

Offline Harke

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 15 July 2022, 13:02:51 »
Keen as, I'll take 10!
Soldering burns build character.

Offline Cafeine

• GeekZone
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 03 October 2022, 09:02:42 »
Is this project dead? I need this in my life :P
Own : HHKB Type-S | Leopold FC660C (x2 - 1st Gen & 2014 silenced) | RealForce 87U TKL (55g uniform) | RF 23U | Minila Air MX Blue
Sold : RealForce 88UB 45g | Leopold FC660M (MX Clear) | Filco MJ2 TKL (MX Brown) |  KeyCool 84 (MX Black) | CodeKeyboard TKL (MX Clear)

Offline PinkCynicism

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 31 October 2022, 19:02:01 »
Hopefully this project is still going, I would love to talk with vendors to see if I could use these for my sets.

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 01 November 2022, 22:00:45 »
Is this project dead? I need this in my life :P

Hopefully this project is still going, I would love to talk with vendors to see if I could use these for my sets.

It's dead. OP doesn't check this thread but they're active on Reddit. I messaged there to encourage them to continue this but they weren't interested in speaking to me after I explained I'm not a vendor, just an interested customer. At that point they ghosted me.

If all you need is to store Cherry or similar profiles, PBTfans trays are available on their own.