geekhack Community > Input Devices

Searching for a touchpad / trackpad to built into a 3d printed case

(1/2) > >>

ham5urg:
I'm looking for a touchpad / trackpad to build into a keyboard. Something similar to https://www.cherry.de/cherry-g84-5500-xs-touchpad-keyboard.html but larger and without buttons.

But I have no clue what kind of touchpad is good for which microcontroller?

The responsiveness as well as left-click, left-click-and-hold, scroll-with-2-fingers, middle-click-with-3-fingers are important to me. I hope to get a touchpad that is somehow similar behaving like a good laptop-touchpad. Without the need of a extra driver in the OS.

How hard is it to get it electrically connected with a microcontroller? I hope not to hard.

jennyluce:
Logitech K400 PLUS WIRELESS TOUCH KEYBOARD you should get this

Leslieann:
Not sure how easy it would be to disconnect the touchpad from the rest of the keyboard, same for the buttons on it.

It's also a pretty small touchpad, barely any larger than the Cherry one.

butre:
there's no trackpad better than the apple magic trackpad, and it would be foolish to choose anything else

Leslieann:

--- Quote from: butre on Fri, 21 January 2022, 13:52:20 ---there's no trackpad better than the apple magic trackpad, and it would be foolish to choose anything else

--- End quote ---
Honestly, this is the bast answer.
Unless Lenovo makes one which could fit better, but even then the Apple would perform better.

Apple, especially on Mac, has the trackpad game dialed, Apple laptops are pretty much the only laptops where I felt I could get away without a mouse while browsing the net. Some newer ones are not bad and I can use them for a while without problem but Mac just really has it figured out. Unfortunately some of that is the OS. MacOS is almost designed for it, Linux (KDE in particular) does quite well with it, Windows lags far behind on this in my opinion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version