Author Topic: Bandswitch management with roomate  (Read 2817 times)

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
Bandswitch management with roomate
« on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 13:40:43 »
I wondered if you guys have better idea that what i'm using with my roomates that happen to also be my brother.

We have a ****ty connexion of at best 600kbs down and 100kbs up.
And since we are both heavy internet users and gamer that hate lags, we needed a solution.

We each ran http://www.netlimiter.com/ on each computer, we both set up limit to half the avaible connexion and it was alright.
But then I added a NAS to the network to """get""" movies and ****. It is to be noted that the said NAS is configured not to download if he's not the only machine powered on the network so he's not giving us any lag.

Problem is NetLimiter doesn't allow exception for local traffic so we couldn't load the medias on our computer from the NAS which is running a Plex Home Theater.

We moved onto https://seriousbit.com/netbalancer/ which is basicly the same thing that netlimiter but allow local rules so we can acess the Plex.

But the problem we have is this new software is slow to react, which mean that one person will go above is bandwitch limit then the software will react, which mean lag spike for the other user.

Maybe some of you guys have experience with that.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Bandswitch management with roomate
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 14:06:57 »
you don't need net limiter.   

All you have to do is limit "persistent" loads such as bittorrent.. (which can be done thorugh the utorrent client itself)

dividing up individual bandwidth does nothing, because it all goes through the same pipe. it will not reduce latency.. everything gets added to the queue first come first serve.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 17:07:34 »
Sounds like you need a dual band router

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 02:49:56 »

All you have to do is limit "persistent" loads such as bittorrent.. (which can be done thorugh the utorrent client itself)

dividing up individual bandwidth does nothing, because it all goes through the same pipe. it will not reduce latency.. everything gets added to the queue first come first serve.

Non of us is torrenting one our personnal machine.

All the torrenting is done on the NAS and he only get to download whenever all other devices on the network are off.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 03:21:13 »

All the torrenting is done on the NAS and he only get to download whenever all other devices on the network are off.

then that is the only machine that needs a limit..

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 03:24:35 »
Maybe you could buy an ALIX board with pfSense ?

Some EU retailers :
http://www.osnet.eu/en/products/alix
http://varia-store.com/Ready-Systems/pfSense:::223_271.html

Also this may help you configure your setup :

It sounds a little bit overkill but I'm pretty sure it'll fix your bandwidth management problem for good !

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 03:30:08 »

then that is the only machine that needs a limit..

The nas is automated not to download if other devices are powered on the network. He's not an issue at all.

As I said in OP we got about 600kbs down, if one of us start using more than 250kbs of the bandwitch, we get a lag spike of around 300-500 which takes about 10-15 secondes to settle down.
Originally, with NetLimiter that was more reactive we had no issue, ping upped slightly when someone was using his part, but with the low reactivity of NetBalancer, we get to go above our limit.
And it's impossible to youtube considering how stupid this website loads videos.

Maybe you could buy an ALIX board with pfSense ?

Some EU retailers :
http://www.osnet.eu/en/products/alix
http://varia-store.com/Ready-Systems/pfSense:::223_271.html

Also this may help you configure your setup :

It sounds a little bit overkill but I'm pretty sure it'll fix your bandwidth management problem for good !

will have a look into that.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 03:52:02 »
By the way if you not seeing any of the videos I linked above, try this :

[...] on the right side of the title bar, click the shield icon and then "load unsecured content".

But just in case :

And here is another french retailer.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 06:59:16 »
Well ur router should have options for doing this. Unless its a really old router. In which case check if its flashable with ddwrt or tomato

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 07:08:22 »
Well ur router should have options for doing this. Unless its a really old router. In which case check if its flashable with ddwrt or tomato
In France ISP give us very basics gear, but I recently changed company, I should be able to work on this router. Need to find the logs though lmao.
Azerty Propagandiste