Author Topic: Post your switch tester!  (Read 23563 times)

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
Post your switch tester!
« on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 00:15:38 »
So yea I really didn't know where to post this so why not create a new topic! Here's my switch tester:

Now show me yours!
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
Re: Post your switch tester!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 00:19:32 »
I have 1 with stock switches, and 1 with switches lubed with Krytox GPL 200.

I have a whole box of these 3x5 PCBs that I made, but no-one buys them...

Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 00:23:36 »

Show Image

Show Image

Neat, I like the idea of having two separate testers, one with stock switches and one with lubed. And would you PM me about those PCBs? I might want one.  :D

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 00:30:49 »

Show Image

Show Image

Neat, I like the idea of having two separate testers, one with stock switches and one with lubed. And would you PM me about those PCBs? I might want one.  :D

All the PCBs in the box have empty switch housings already soldered to them. Would you want one of those, or just a cut PCB without any empty switch housings? Also, what do you think is a fair price? I have hundreds of blank relegendables that can be used to label the switches as well.

I also have 2 of these 3700 style PCBs with empty switch housings and stabilizers.

I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 00:37:18 »
All the PCBs in the box have empty switch housings already soldered to them. Would you want one of those, or just a cut PCB without any empty switch housings? Also, what do you think is a fair price? I have hundreds of blank relegendables that can be used to label the switches as well.

I also have 2 of these 3700 style PCBs with empty switch housings and stabilizers.

Show Image

Sweet, PM'd. Everyone else: continue posting switch testers.  :p

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 00:38:24 »

Show Image

Sweet, PM'd. Everyone else: continue posting switch testers.  :p

I already pm'd him too :3
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 00:45:57 »
Ahh, I'm gonna get mine back tomorrow. It's embedded in styrofoam so you know it's legit!

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 00:46:27 »
I don't want everyone PMing me with the same questions... That always seems to happen when I post pics anywhere...

Do you actually have more? (with switches on them)?

Whats the price :D

Make me an offer. They have empty switch housings on them, but I could make a fresh one with browns or nothing.

I'm so-so on the PCB but I would love some blank relegendables! How much would they be including shipping? Thanks.

If you buy at least 30 they go down to 50cents apiece (30 is the standard pack, but you can buy just a few for $1 apiece). 30 would be $19 shipped/paypaled within the contiguous 48.
R.I.P.ster

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 00:49:55 »

I haven't bought any because I didn't know they existed! I'm down for at least one blank one, that would be some good soldering practice for me and I'd also have a switch tester.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 00:54:36 »
A switch tester GB would be amazing. Maybe in 2 different designs - standard steel plate that's 4x5 and an aluminum long house that's 2x8.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 01:40:31 »
Alright, I'm thinking these for the prices. Everything is brand new, and I'm open to suggestions for the prices. But remember that it took time to make these (I have to desolder the switches before the PCBs can be cut, and then after washing the dust off of the PCBs I have to resolder the switches/empty switch housings back on).

$6 for a blank PCB
$11 for a PCB with empty switch housings soldered on
$15 for a PCB with brown switches soldered on
An additional $8 for 15 blank relegendables with the purchase of a PCB

$22? (because I only have 2) for a 3700 style PCB with empty switch housings soldered on and stabilizers
R.I.P.ster

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 12:18:02 »
This is a sweet thread! Captn Bad ass should post his in here!
I am making one right now after his model but I ran out of unique switch funds so just got all vintage blacks for the time being,.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 19:18:26 »
Where do you get the plates from for these?

My QWERkeys tester has only 6 switches, and I keep all my happy keycaps on it, but now I have 7 happy keycaps, but only 6 switches.  And more on the way ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 19:29:02 »

My QWERkeys tester has only 6 switches, and I keep all my happy keycaps on it, but now I have 7 happy keycaps, but only 6 switches.  And more on the way ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130832544481 This guy has a bunch of different sizes :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 19:35:06 »

As cheap as that?  Cool!

Thanks for that :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 19:36:45 »

As cheap as that?  Cool!

Thanks for that :)

You're welcome! I got the link from Captn BadAss :D

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 20:28:26 »
Alright, I'm thinking these for the prices. Everything is brand new, and I'm open to suggestions for the prices. But remember that it took time to make these (I have to desolder the switches before the PCBs can be cut, and then after washing the dust off of the PCBs I have to resolder the switches/empty switch housings back on).

$6 for a blank PCB
$11 for a PCB with empty switch housings soldered on
$15 for a PCB with brown switches soldered on
An additional $8 for 15 blank relegendables with the purchase of a PCB

$22? (because I only have 2) for a 3700 style PCB with empty switch housings soldered on and stabilizers

Are the stabs pcb mounted? If so sign me up for one 3700 style pcb. Also can you take out the housing and thus lower the price? I want to practice soldering and already have housings to use

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 23:57:41 »

not sure what kind of switch is that, but i like that keycaps

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 00:03:29 »

These switches are so weird. They feel like nothing so like reds lol but they're 4 times longer. The top is a + still though. I didn't like Em. Popped me all out going to put MX in their place. The caps are too high for me as well I need low profile caps.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 00:07:09 »

These switches are so weird. They feel like nothing so like reds lol but they're 4 times longer. The top is a + still though. I didn't like Em. Popped me all out going to put MX in their place. The caps are too high for me as well I need low profile caps.

MX switches just fit straight into the holes in the plate, yes?

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 00:28:41 »

MX switches just fit straight into the holes in the plate, yes?

Yep!

Offline beauthegamer

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 01:42:05 »
Here's mine (potato pics):
46782-0
46784-1
Switches are:
white, green, blue
brown, dark gray (linear), light gray (tactile)
ergo clear, clear
red, black

I built it out of extra bits I had lying around (a duck poker plate, a stock poker case, and some PBT poker keycaps) and some switches I bought from 7bit late last year. I put four of each switch in a row to try to give a good idea of what having a keyboard full of each switch would feel like, since I use it primarily to let friends try the different switches before they buy a keyboard.
Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja with wood blue case and reds | HHKB Pro II non-printed black | Phantom with ergo clears

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 01:47:06 »
Here's mine (potato pics):
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
Switches are:
white, green, blue
brown, dark gray (linear), light gray (tactile)
ergo clear, clear
red, black

I built it out of extra bits I had lying around (a duck poker plate, a stock poker case, and some PBT poker keycaps) and some switches I bought from 7bit late last year. I put four of each switch in a row to try to give a good idea of what having a keyboard full of each switch would feel like, since I use it primarily to let friends try the different switches before they buy a keyboard.

Whoa, going all out!! Nice one

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 02:31:44 »

My QWERkeys switch tester and the BS and Topre one from MrInterface's groupbuy.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 18:07:35 »

Crappy photos but its a start! I only have blacks right now. 3x5 steel plate, bump-ons underneath, and random keys lol   :p

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 18:08:18 »
Show Image

How much did the topre switch cost in the GB?

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 04:57:34 »
Show Image

It was part of the deluxe version of the bag. Mr. Interface - Deskthority.
€25 unmounted and €40 mounted.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 18:10:19 »
Thought I'd posted this already ...

47029-0

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 18:12:58 »
Show Image

It was part of the deluxe version of the bag. Mr. Interface - Deskthority.
€25 unmounted and €40 mounted.
wow this is so cool, I'd buy this without even thinking if someone here can do it
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 01:47:25 »
Achievement get:

49765-0

49767-1

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 01:52:42 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 03:01:00 »
Achievement get:

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Very cool :-)

Thanks!

And thanks for the pointer to the switch boards on eBay - 2 4x4 purchased (one for me, one for daughter) :)

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 12:54:55 »
Small

Large

That last pic is a little out of date as I've added a few more caps to it recently.  I'm also going to change the two last columns on the right to try out a range of lubed switches with different weight springs in - one with linear switches and one with clears / ergo clears etc :)
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 13:13:26 »
Small

Show Image

Large

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That last pic is a little out of date as I've added a few more caps to it recently.  I'm also going to change the two last columns on the right to try out a range of lubed switches with different weight springs in - one with linear switches and one with clears / ergo clears etc :)

Oh my godddddddd... That's huge!! Bravo sir!!!!

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 13:14:03 »
That's a huge ass switch display lol
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 19:51:58 »
Thread needs more love ... maybe this will help it escape from the slings and arrows of forgetfulness ...

67339-0

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 05:40:01 »
Well, mine started off life as a switch tester.  Now it's a toy for my son!

All switches are blues with 55g springs.  There's a 3V battery inside so the LEDs light up when the keys are pressed. 

I think it looks better with the GH keycap on it. ;)

Build Log: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58029

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 06:26:05 »
LOL I have purple, you have orange, otherwise same colour keycap :)

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 06:57:59 »
LOL I have purple, you have orange, otherwise same colour keycap :)

Great minds think alike! :thumb:

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 07:09:19 »
Small

Show Image

Large

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That's just insane.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 06:45:31 »
Thread needs more love ... maybe this will help it escape from the slings and arrows of forgetfulness ...

(Attachment Link)

The CM storm switch tester looks really nice.
I could literally put it inside my pocket and bring it around  :-X
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 06:04:57 »

(Attachment Link)

The CM storm switch tester looks really nice.
I could literally put it inside my pocket and bring it around  :-X

Yep!  Very well made, and the switches are plate-mounted :)

Offline TotallydubbedHD

• Reviewer
    • Totallydubbed.net
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 15:12:41 »
KeyPop + QWERT8 V2  :cool:

Currently own a Logitech G710+ (Brown) at home and a CM Quick Fire XT (Brown) at work!
I've owned the Perixx PX-5000 (Black).
I have a QWER8 V2 Switch testing kit that I fiddle with :D

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 18:46:22 »
just missing a Super Black

67685-0

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 19:24:44 »
Small

Show Image

Large

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

gg

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 05:29:10 »
just missing a Super Black

(Attachment Link)

For a second there I thought that was a 12 key tester :))

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 06:24:12 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 June 2014, 06:50:02 by epzy »
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 11:31:29 »

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 13:15:50 »
Not the best photo but my tester is pretty decent for what I was trying to achieve!! :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 03:10:11 »
Much GEEK HACK.

Very colour.

Such patriotic.

Wow!

68583-0