Author Topic: Alps Switch Top Removal tool  (Read 2061 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Alps Switch Top Removal tool
« on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 21:06:51 »
Since I was also called out to try and make an Alps switch tool and didn't want to feel like I was threadcrapping someone else's thread, here's my contribution based on dimensions I took of Alps switches.  I'm not sure it would be super durable unless it was done in titanium, high carbon steel, or another strong metal or it was done in a durable and flexible plastic (maybe POM?).  It would not be durable in acrylic.  It's designed to be laser cut or waterjet cut.

I hate specialized single purpose tools (it's fine if they're commonly used tools, but not specialty), so the other side is half an MX switch tool that you would need to file and taper yourself a little.  Ideally I'd make a second tool with a totally different half on the Alps side, so if you can think of something useful, let me know.  Same deal goes with if you can think of a useful tool to build into the handle instead of the circles and squares.

The Alps side has a chamfered and slightly filleted nub in the middle that is the same size as an Alps stem.  The thought is that that will slide into the slider and help keep everything together and make it easier to remove and to reassemble with the tool (if you've ever dealt with Alps, you know how this can be a pain on the board).  If you cut it from material roughly 4-4.5mm thick, it should be about the same size as the stem on a cap.

If you have any suggestions, let me know.  An STL file is include below.  You should be able to convert it to a 2D format for laser or waterjet cutting.

* Switch Tool.stl
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 February 2016, 10:37:38 by nubbinator »