Author Topic: MagicForce 68 (GATERON BROWN) Backlit Keyboard  (Read 5263 times)

Offline Doofy

• I'm from Scotland and I like Keyboards.
MagicForce 68 (GATERON BROWN) Backlit Keyboard
« on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 15:06:17 »
First review so excuse me if its terrible.

So I actually originally ordered this Magicforce 68 (White/Silver) Keyboard with Clears, but amazon messed it up and I ended up with browns. I decided to keep them because i'm actually really enjoying these switches.

BUILD QUALITY

The quality of this board, with it being a 50 quid keyboard is surprisingly good, its not the greatest but at this point I think you aren't really getting much better with one of the mainstream keyboards considering nobody makes lifelong keyboards anymore. I'd rather take a fairly decent build that isn't like the ol' Model M used to be, to keep costs down, it just sits on your desk ya know? I personally don't mind if my keyboard doesn't also double up as a blunt weapon...The top is Aluminium with the bottom being plastic. Absolutely not flex at all (I put quite a lot of force into the bend). You get 2 rubber flip out feet which are very good but are super annoying to try and flip out, this area clearly needs revised. You have a nice well thought out route for the micro USB cable, which is always a nice quality of life touch. My only main issue is the fairly large MagicForce logo above the arrow keys, this is kinda ugly.

SWITCHES

This Keyboard is using the Gateron Brown switches which I have to say, are WAY nicer feeling than Cherry Browns (This is anecdotal evidence and entirely subjective to some, objective to others so please take this into consideration). They feel so much more consistent and smooth, with no weird feeling of resistance I used to notice on the boards I used in Maplin. They do feel a tad lighter, which I like, but others may not. I've seen people argue the actuation for them comes before the bump, others say its just after. I can put this argument to rest (I hope?), the switched actuate slightly after the bump, so this may be good or bad to you. Personally I'm one of those heathens who bottoms out every time so I really dont care or notice anything, I'm a bad person to come to about these kind of things (BOTTOM OUT MASTER RACE!!). Speaking of actuation, I tested these switches by pressing the corners of keycaps, I can confirm, the switches are just as smooth as pressing them from any other angle. The stabilizers used are run of the mill looking Cherrys, nothing to write home about other than they seem to have little to no rattle from what I can tell, which was a concern of mine. If I had the choice, I'd have took a variant with Costar stabilizers but meh, its the little things eh? Overall, solid 9/10 for these switches from me.

KEYCAPS

These keycaps are ABS Doubleshots with a particularly "gamer-ish" font. I have never been that bother about keycap fonts but this may be a turn off for you, so keep this in mind. This keyboard will take standard keycaps from what I've read so you could swap them out if it really bugs you. The letter is at least very vibrant and well defined from what I can compare it to (a K70, an old MS dome crapper and a Model M I got to use a while back). The edges are somewhat sharp which I find to be a little annoying but nothing major, just a small aesthetic issue for me.

CONCLUSION

My summary? This little 60% bundle of joy is a solid purchase considering its price point. You can buy the non backlit version with Outemu switches for just 29 pounds here in Scotland, how crazy is that?!?!. With the only issues being, the logo above the arrow keys, the flip out feet putting up a fight and the sharpness of the keycaps, you can't really go wrong. I am starting to think Chinese keyboards may end up having a nice chunk of the market here in the West because lets be honest...mainstream keyboards from the likes of Corsair, Cooler Master etc, really aren't worth the ridiculous price they charge, I'd rather place my wallet in the hands of china at this point. If I have missed any important features or information you are dying to know before buying, just let me know and I'll clear it up!

Offline killyou

Re: MagicForce 68 (GATERON BROWN) Backlit Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 12:17:40 »
Magicforce 68 is a great board and with non-backlit version you are getting keycaps with a sane font. All chinese keyboards with backlighting are using the same ugly shine through keycaps and "gaming" font. I don't have anything against fancy fonts, in fact I love Pok3r keycaps and Bank Gothic font to the point I can't make up my mind to buy anything else, but these gaming fonts are atrocious.

On a side note, I would buy Magicforce only with the cheapest option and Outemu switches. The one with Gaterons is more expensive and I'd rather get Drevo Excalibur instead or maybe Anne Pro as it's truly 60%. Also within the price point of 60GBP you might get lucky and score something nice on /r/mechmarket. Also I saw some ads on ebay with Vortex Core and Pok3r for $50 (unfortunately only CONUS shipping) that were sold in a matter of minutes (I have an alert set) so it might be better to look for a bargain at this price point as well.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 November 2017, 12:21:02 by killyou »

Offline Doofy

• I'm from Scotland and I like Keyboards.
Re: MagicForce 68 (GATERON BROWN) Backlit Keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 20:52:54 »
Totally agree with what you said! The Drevo Excalibur is a hard keyboard to beat at the price point as well as used keyboards. I went with the MagicForce because here in Scotland, getting the majority of Chinese boards is super hard without paying stupid money or waiting a month on it being delivered. At the price point you get a quickly accessible board for cheaper than the mainstream and it’s brand new, if the Excalibur wasn’t so expensive to get into Scotland and or I didn’t have to wait 3-4 business weeks to obtain it, I’d have most likely gone with it. Overall, their is better choices, but depending on where you live, sometimes easily accessible is big factor in your choice. I know the Ajazz AK33 and Anne Pro were easy to get here, I could have got them with next day delivery luckily but the switches on the Ajazz didn’t appeal to me and the Anne Pro also wasn’t my taste for various reasons. Just a matter of opinion, I was quite happy with my choice for £49.95. Appareciate you adding to the review, good to keep people clued up on the alternatives!