Author Topic: Kensington Expert on Windows 7, latest driver Date Posted: 06/02/10  (Read 14537 times)

Offline GenEric35

Kensington TrackballWorks driver

Requirements:
Windows XP (32-Bit, SP2+)
Windows Vista (32-Bit and 64-Bit)
Windows 7 (32-Bit and 64-Bit)

Enables trackball customization: button functions, pointer speed and acceleration, and scrolling speed and direction.

There were problems with no drivers being available, is this now solved?

I see it even says compatible with windows 7 now, is this new? Can anoyone confirm if all 4 buttons are configurable as well as the trackball speed, scroll speed?

They also say it has a new scroll ring? is this the same noisy one or is there indeed a new implementation of it?
Surrounding the ball, we have a brand new implementation of our award winning Scroll Ring® that puts scrolling right at your fingertips. Kensington Expert product description

Is there many models of kensington expert(this one says Model number: K64325)? This one in the product description has a grey ball while I have seen many with a blue and grey one?
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 June 2010, 09:51:37 by GenEric35 »
:target: HHKB Pro 2  
IBM Model M 1390131
Unicomp Customizer

Offline aegrotatio

Kensington Expert on Windows 7, latest driver Date Posted: 06/02/10
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 12:14:21 »
Quote from: GenEric35;194670
Is there many models of kensington expert(this one says Model number: K64325)? This one in the product description has a grey ball while I have seen many with a blue and grey one?

I don't know about the scroll ring but that picture looks like it's in black-and-white.  The balls are a sparkly, rather dark bluish grey color.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline GenEric35

IBM Model M 1390131
Unicomp Customizer

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 17:01:58 »
Microsoft Update pushed the new driver about four or five weeks ago.  That version is called "TrackBallWorks" and updates the driver but did not have any user interface for assigning buttons.

I'm not sure how many people know this but Kensington contracts out the MouseWorks software and the vendor has changed a couple of times over the past fifteen years.  The company who wrote TrackBallWorks is Dritek System Inc.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige

Offline GenEric35

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 18:00:43 »
so I take it it's still not fully working then?
IBM Model M 1390131
Unicomp Customizer

Offline smuvmoney

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 20:41:40 »
Quote from: GenEric35;194784
so I take it it's still not fully working then?

The suite you download from Kensignton does have a UI and is otherwise fully functional.  You can map your buttons and chord the top 2 and bottom 2 buttons.  I saw the Windows Update driver as well, but I did not download it since I was testing the beta at the time.  With the exception of application profiles, most of the functionality from Mouseworks is available or intact in some shape or form.  I hope this helps.

[EDIT #2]

I am still using WinXP so I do not know what changed in TrackballWorks between WinXP and Win7.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 June 2010, 20:44:17 by smuvmoney »

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 21 June 2010, 10:09:00 »
I believe the Windows Update was to fix some compatibility problems, which I think were weird PnP errors that caused the trackballs to not work after a reboot, with Slim Blade, Orbit Scroll Ring and some other recent models.

Offline GenEric35

Update!
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 16:45:47 »
Eureka!

Got my trackball, and intalled the above mentionned driver, it works great on windows 7!

This trackball is exactly what I looking for and more... features I didnt expect are:
1-If i want to slow it down for precision, I just hold Ctrl, yay!
2-If for some reason I need to use in orthogonal(locked axis) just hold shift

btw, incase you use ctrl click or shift click already for other stuff, those two keys are configurable with either alt, shift or ctrl

what strikes me is how comfortable the wrist rest is, it totally changes the experience

the scroll ring is sweet, not nearly as noisy as in the youtube view on this topic, but by default the scroll was a bit erratic in chrome, couldn't find the right setting for it, so I installed this chrome extension SmoothScroll - Version: 0.5

Voilą!
IBM Model M 1390131
Unicomp Customizer

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 19:00:21 »
I dunno, maybe because I don't use Kensington's software, my Expert Mouse has worked perfectly in Windows Vista and Windows 7 all along and don't really see what the fuss is about.

Offline SteelUrID

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 11:47:18 »
Hi guys,
I just recently upgraded my computer so I went from Window XP to Window 7. The Kensington Mouse Expert (Trackball) wasn't compatible anymore so I email the Kensington Support Team to asked them about a possible update for the driver on Win 7 and they gave me a link: http://us.kensington.com/html/1466.html#trackballworks_win  to download the driver Version 1.04 but for some reason, it causes my computer to Crash big time so I called them after that situation. This time, they asked me to download another driver Version 1.01 and again it causes my PC to Crash so I really don't know what to do anymore. I know one thing for sure, their drivers aren't ready yet cause they have to many issues at the moment with them. It is trully sad because is honestly the Best frigin Trackball I ever used. If there is anybody that have a solution for this driver, I would appreciate to know how he done it?

Thanks,

SteelUrId

Offline Hanns G

Late, but I have the same problem
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 09 January 2012, 15:35:36 »
I have the same problem of getting my old Kensington Expert Mouse to work.  Mine is the white one depicted in the previous post.  Is there any hope for it?  I loved the thing when I used it for drawings.  Any help you could give would be appreciated.