Author Topic: Apple Magic TrackPad on Windows 7  (Read 11133 times)

Offline rsantos97

Apple Magic TrackPad on Windows 7
« on: Thu, 25 August 2011, 18:06:26 »
I just bought the Magic TrackPad and installed it on my Windows 7 machine and all I could say is wow! This thing is beautiful.  I wish I would have just bought it before buying the CST trackball and the Adesso Smart Cat trackpad.  The thing works flawlessy on my PC even with my 27.5" screen.  I am loving it.  I will post a comparo later on with the Adesso for those looking for a trackpad for their PC.  My main reason for getting it was because of wrist issues I have with using a standard mouse.

P.S.  Scrolling on this thing is silky smooth and beautiful.  That was my main gripe with the CST (non ergonomic scrolling).

Offline zareliman

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 October 2011, 10:48:59 »
Quote from: rsantos97;405162
I just bought the Magic TrackPad and installed it on my Windows 7 machine and all I could say is wow! This thing is beautiful.  I wish I would have just bought it before buying the CST trackball and the Adesso Smart Cat trackpad.  The thing works flawlessy on my PC even with my 27.5" screen.  I am loving it.  I will post a comparo later on with the Adesso for those looking for a trackpad for their PC.  My main reason for getting it was because of wrist issues I have with using a standard mouse.

P.S.  Scrolling on this thing is silky smooth and beautiful.  That was my main gripe with the CST (non ergonomic scrolling).

I think I would prefer a Kensington expert mouse, it scrolls with the ring arround the ball.

How is the magic trackpad for gaming ?

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 15 October 2011, 11:18:01 »
I have it for about 2 months now and I really like it. I use it with my Mac Mini mostly for browsing the web.
Keyboardless

Offline sordna

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 October 2011, 12:52:56 »
The magic trackpad works fine on Linux too (I have tried it) but I wish they start offering a USB version.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline pitashen

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 October 2011, 17:27:44 »
My experience of using a trackpad (I used the wacom one) as a main pointing device was that it actually put quite a bit of strain on my wrist and finger. Trackball is IMO is actually more ergonomical.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline shrap

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 October 2011, 00:34:57 »
What gestures are supported with the Magic Trackpad?

When I boot my Macbook into Win7, I only get two finger scrolling. It's nice but far from the plethora of gestures in OSX.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 16 October 2011, 00:54:06 »
Did you use bootcamp drivers for it?
Keyboardless

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 16 October 2011, 04:43:41 »
I have read that there is some pretty extensive support for the Magic Trackpad under Linux. I'm not sure what the gestures support under Windows is like.

I'm quite interested in getting one of these myself, just waiting for the price to decrease (on the second hand market at least)
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 October 2011, 04:55:49 by ch_123 »

Offline nathanscribe

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 16 October 2011, 05:11:05 »
I've been umm-ing and ah-ing about which of these to plump for lately.  Tempted by the Kensington first, as I've been using a Slimblade for a while (though without the extra functions due to overzealous admin at work...) but I'm not keen on the Slimblade's method of scrolling - too easy to both rotate and spin the ball when all I want is to spin it, so was thinking a scroll-wheel would be better.  I've read some very positive things about the trackpad too though, so I'll probably just end up with both.
Conquering the world with BASIC since 1982

Offline shrap

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 16 October 2011, 12:01:47 »
Bootcamp as of 3.3 appears to only have two finger scrolling and two-finger right click on the MBP trackpad.

I think Apple does not officially support the Trackpad outside of Boot Camp. Technically it is for Macs only.

You can also get the Logitech Wireless Trackpad which officially supports Windows does come with Logitech drivers.

Offline iindigo

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 16 October 2011, 12:08:03 »
Aren't gestures an OS-level thing rather than a driver-level one? Doesn't Windows have gestures you can perform with any capable multi-touch trackpad?

Offline shrap

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 16 October 2011, 12:16:04 »
Quote from: iindigo;432322
Aren't gestures an OS-level thing rather than a driver-level one? Doesn't Windows have gestures you can perform with any capable multi-touch trackpad?

I haven't seen any on this MBP.

On my ThinkPad the gestures are implemented with Lenovo drivers. Same with the Dell, although that was XP. They both don't work too well.

Offline pitashen

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 16 October 2011, 16:30:40 »
Quote from: iindigo;432322

There are drivers for any computer peripherals (linux widows osx, what have you). Its just the  driver is built into the OSX and bootcamp  for magic trackpad to work out of box on mac. Same applies to many plug and play peripherals that work out of box on windows.  There is no such differentiation in btwn OS-level and driver-level. If I am to use Wacom multi-touch trackpad on OSX, I would need to install Wacom driver for that.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 October 2011, 16:52:44 by pitashen »

CalvinC

you are best
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 16 October 2011, 19:14:24 »
you are best friend !

Offline cbf123

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 18 October 2011, 17:27:20 »
Quote from: pitashen;432453
There is no such differentiation in btwn OS-level and driver-level.

Not true.  With OS-level gestures the driver simply reports the position of each finger to the OS, and the OS handles the "meaning" of the various gestures.  With driver-level gestures the driver interprets the meaning and passes "events" to the OS (like scroll up, scroll down, forward, back, etc.).

With OS-level support you get the same support across all multitouch devices, which allows for cheaper device development.  For driver-level each manufacturer has to do gesture detection--this gives the option to provide better detection (due to tight integration with the hardware) but it also means that the manufacturer could cheap out on the drivers.

From what I understand, Ubuntu does OS-level gestures.  Win7 apparently has some OS-level support, but still seems to have some aspects of driver-level with customization in the device drivers.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 October 2011, 17:43:23 by cbf123 »
Daily drivers are:
Microsoft Natural (the original, and still going strong)
Microsoft Natural Elite

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 18 October 2011, 18:53:47 »
I wonder if you can use Logitech Setpoint driver (if they also use SetPoint for their touchpads) to add extra functions for Magic Touchpad in Windows. I was able to use Setpoint with certain Dell mice.
Keyboardless

Offline pitashen

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 18 October 2011, 19:06:24 »
Quote from: cbf123;433926
Not true.  With OS-level gestures the driver simply reports the position of each finger to the OS, and the OS handles the "meaning" of the various gestures.  With driver-level gestures the driver interprets the meaning and passes "events" to the OS (like scroll up, scroll down, forward, back, etc.).

With OS-level support you get the same support across all multitouch devices, which allows for cheaper device development.  For driver-level each manufacturer has to do gesture detection--this gives the option to provide better detection (due to tight integration with the hardware) but it also means that the manufacturer could cheap out on the drivers.
From what I understand, Ubuntu does OS-level gestures.  Win7 apparently has some OS-level support, but still seems to have some aspects of driver-level with customization in the device drivers.

It still sounds like a driver implementation except its extended to allow OS-wide operations to perform those fancy moves on lion desktop.

If you look into your /System/Library/Extensions folder you'll find this: AppleMultitouchDriver.kext

Guess multitouch gestures still need to go through a driver after all.

Even if mac would support every trackpad out there, it would only mean mac's (or any other OS for that matter) got a generic driver to detect the device, read the gesture input, and then perform the command by analyzing the gesture input. Just like plugging in mice, which we are now so used to by now. Just because you can plug n play, it doesn't mean there is no driver to get the device working. You can probably argue that those built-in drivers are integral parts of the OS. Then in that sense, yes it is "OS-level". However, it doesn't eliminate the nature of how a driver would work.

I am not a hardware/driver developer. so prove me wrong if you will.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 October 2011, 19:29:50 by pitashen »

Offline low-fi

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 16:19:20 »
I've been using this device for a couple of hours at my folks' place and find the experience rather awful. This thing is totally not suited for double clicking and text-dragging / selecting / painting / whatever feels horribly cumbersome. Basic pointing and clicking is okay, I guess, but I prefer actual buttons to a non-tactile surface anyway. My right hand also gets rather tired and starts aching in like fifteen minutes. These devices are not for me.. After using this I find even the Magic Mouse to feel like heaven even though its physical design resembles more like a cutting tool than a pointing device.

Offline shrap

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 04 November 2011, 13:56:39 »
For clicking and dragging, does using two hands (one to hold the "button" down, the other to move the cursor) work? Clicking and dragging is often a bear on the MBP too. But due to OSX drivers and crazy multitouch handling (ie: you can click and hold something, and then swipe between applications or use Expose while still holding it) it's less of a problem.

Offline pitashen

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 01:23:58 »
Quote from: low-fi;444392
I've been using this device for a couple of hours at my folks' place and find the experience rather awful. This thing is totally not suited for double clicking and text-dragging / selecting / painting / whatever feels horribly cumbersome. Basic pointing and clicking is okay, I guess, but I prefer actual buttons to a non-tactile surface anyway. My right hand also gets rather tired and starts aching in like fifteen minutes. These devices are not for me.. After using this I find even the Magic Mouse to feel like heaven even though its physical design resembles more like a cutting tool than a pointing device.

Quote from: pitashen;431941
My experience of using a trackpad (I used the wacom one) as a main pointing device was that it actually put quite a bit of strain on my wrist and finger. Trackball is IMO is actually more ergonomical.

There ^^^^