Author Topic: Need some advice, about to go into mechanical  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Abula

Need some advice, about to go into mechanical
« on: Fri, 14 May 2010, 00:19:24 »
I love this site, until couple of weeks i was a logitech keyboard fan, but reading a lot here has me interested into going or at least trying out a mechanical keyboard, been reading a lot, and i have still my doubts into what do you guys would recommend me.

I don't like extremely noisy keyboard, so I'm ruling out Cherry blue switches, kinda interested into brown, been hearing some clips and thats the most I'm willing to live with.  I don't use keyboard to play games, so its just for pure typing whats this keyboard will be used.  The Majestouch Tactile Touch is somewhat reasonable price, like the looks, and seems like great all around.

The second that has me thinking is the Realforce 103UB, i kinda liked the sound, seems even less noisy than the cherry brown, i was kinda discourage about the different weights of the keys... but now i see a full 55g, so its back on the list, only downside i see its the massive price difference compared to the filco :eek:

The 3rd option im still thinking is Deck Keyboard, this is mostly out my current keyboard (logitech illuminated) has lights on each key, so its drew my attention, although i don't see it very well regarded here.  Another thing is that i "think" i don't want black cherry switches since its just gonna be for typing but i see they also have an option for Cherry soft tactile (C1NW), not sure if its good.

While i guess each user prefers each keyboard depending on his needs and personal likings, i don't have any way to tests them, i kinda looking for some advice so i don't mess up.

Anyways thanks for taking the time reading my post, and i appreciate any comments or suggestions.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 May 2010, 00:32:52 by Abula »
Topre Realforce 87UD 10th Anniversary Edition || Vortex Race 3 || Ducky Shine 5 RGB || Filco Majestouch 104 || Logitech G810

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 May 2010, 00:32:25 »
Welcome to Xibalba

Offline Abula

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 May 2010, 22:09:23 »
Quote from: nowsharing;182238
Welcome to Xibalba

Thx, interestingly that was the name of my sof2 server :), all the clan had mayan names.
Topre Realforce 87UD 10th Anniversary Edition || Vortex Race 3 || Ducky Shine 5 RGB || Filco Majestouch 104 || Logitech G810

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 May 2010, 22:18:22 »
Definitely give the Filco (Majestouch) with brown cherry's a try.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 05:19:19 »
Quote from: iMav;182485
Definitely give the Filco (Majestouch) with brown cherry's a try.

I will second that! It's a GREAT board, switch, and price combo. Very addicting too, and there is nothing wrong with that! ;)

I can't speak from personal experience about the deck boards, but they seem very nice especially if you would like illuminated, but my friend recently purchased one mid 2009 and he said the lights are starting to filcker a bit now while typing. He games hard though, so who knows, but I thougt it worth mentioning because he was a bit concerned with it.

...and welcome to geekhack =)
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline Abula

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 08:00:01 »
Thanks for the comments,

Im almost sure im going with Filco (brown switches), now wondering about the versions...

Majestouch Tactile Touch $109
Majestouch Tactile Touch "Otaku" NKRO $134
Majestouch Tactile Touch NKRO $134

Im ruling out the Otaku, while i know all the keys by memory, sometimes i move the keyboard out of the typing position and just browse the net... and where i just click sometimes with one finger, so not seeing any labels would be bad for me.  Now out of the two left i only see the NKRO difference, while reading this just helps to register more keys at the same time, wondering if you guys think would have any gains on normal typing (i do not game at all in keyboards, i use a G13) but i do type close to 100 words per minute, i guess im just looking for some reassureance if should get it for normal typing or just go for the cheaper base none NKRO option.

Thanks again for the welcome and comments, hoping soon to join the mechanical addiction.

Offline audioave10

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 08:56:59 »
I also have the Logitech Illuminated and my fingers are too "hard" for it. From what I've studied, the Deck 82key had some issues. I have a Deck Legend and its very nice. The backlighting is second to none. From the type of switches you prefer, it sounds like you have made a good choice.
DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues