Author Topic: keyboard legs - to use or not to use?  (Read 2286 times)

Offline j-c

keyboard legs - to use or not to use?
« on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 14:07:40 »
dear geek hackers
newby to the forum here, I have found that if I flip out the rear legs of any keyboard I have used I find I cannot use the keyboard for a long time as it strains my hands/wrists, so I was wondering if I am doing something wrong ? What do people do? (this will be subjective I know).
Being a hunt n peck typist (learning to touch type in the evenings) I rest my wrists on the table (just habit over the years as I have not been taught how to type).
Any advice would be appreciated if I am doing it wrong.
Oh and while I am here, I used to own a Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard ( the earlier white one) and found the high hand position was too tiring.
Any thoughts on that considering it is an "ergonomic" keyboard.
many thanks.
john

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Re: keyboard legs - to use or not to use?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 14:53:41 »
Using legs is very personal depending on personal preference and heights of table, chair, and if you have a keyboard tray or not.  Just need to find what works for you. 

One thing, do not let your wrists rest on a hard surface.  That is a sure fire way to accelerate carpal tunnel syndrome.  If you need to rest on something get a softer surface elevated and rest the meaty part of your palms on it.  The best thing though is to hover your wrists and keep them parallel to your forearms.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 15:07:33 »
There has been a thread about this precise topic on the front page of the 'keyboards' subforum all week:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69237

Or if you do a search, there are like 20 older threads about this topic.

[Note: I’m not trying to criticize making a new thread; just suggesting places you might look for some answers. Welcome to geekhack!]
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 March 2015, 15:11:51 by jacobolus »

Offline j-c

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 16:07:21 »
thank you both, I will read that article.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 03:57:02 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Now that this thread is kinda superfluous, you can lock it by clicking the LOCK button in the lower left corner of the page.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ