Author Topic: [IC] GMK Dracula — Group buy is live!  (Read 221702 times)

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
Re: [IC] GMK Dracula — Coming out in Q4 2019!
« Reply #350 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 08:36:50 »
> R1 1u Backspace — Not commonly used.

I'd think this gets used a lot in ortho layouts.

There isn't any explicit ortho support in the base kit anyway, so I don't think that applies here. If the goal is to support ortho boards, there should be a separate kit for it, which would include the 1u Backspace and other necessary keys.

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #351 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 08:41:48 »
Okay, split backspace then. -_-

Offline KingOfMemes

Re: [IC] GMK Dracula — Added color comparison!
« Reply #352 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 08:42:35 »
not even try to reach MOQ with a NorDe kit? :(

Nothing is set in stone yet :)

any possiblility of a colevrak kit. not a big deal if it doesn't happen, i can always use the alphas from my oblivion kit.
I would also like to know the chances of colevrak being supported. As an intellectual with an extremely high IQ, I use the superior layout of colemak, and would love to have caps in a set that supports the superior color scheme of my superior editor, emacs
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 June 2019, 08:50:59 by KingOfMemes »

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #353 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 08:42:59 »
Okay, split backspace then. -_-
The convention for split backspace is for backspace to move to 1.5u r2, instead of the pipe key.

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #354 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 09:13:14 »
Q4 is still far away,which means we might not get it until mid 2020.   :blank: :blank:

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #355 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 12:13:09 »
If we are going to look for keys to get rid of to make kits smaller I think there are some other candidates that definitely get less use like was mentioned above.

This makes sense. For 2/3 and/or 3/4, don't see status quo changing.

On my 75s I use 2/3 but on 65s I use 3/4.

Off tangent, can you share why?  This seems counter to easily move between different layouts.  Curious about any ergonomic related reason as well.

On 75s there is enough room for Del -> Home -> Pg Up -> Pg Down -> End, but I have to cut out one with 65s and it's usually End which slides everything down.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 June 2019, 12:22:24 by AlcoholEnthusiast »

Offline zzzaacchh

« Reply #356 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 13:25:59 »
I will neither confirm nor deny that I love this set until the ortho kit is posted.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #357 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 03:54:10 »
On my 65%'s I go "Insert-delete-Page up-Page dn" if I can. But not a lot of keycaps support that.

Offline fleeceman

« Reply #358 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 03:59:56 »
Is no full ISO UK support definite then now? If so I will just join Oblivion instead.

Offline lewisflude

• Hand Engineering
    • Hand Engineering
« Reply #359 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 04:58:52 »
I'd be absolutely gutted if UK ISO support was removed.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #360 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 05:01:43 »
Is no full ISO UK support definite then now? If so I will just join Oblivion instead.
FYI, Oblivion v2 doesn't support ISO-UK either, unless you purchase the $85 international kit.

The base kit doesn't have full ISO-UK support.

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #361 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 05:02:02 »
Seconded, I love the look of this set but I don't buy sets without ISO UK.

Edit: to clarify, I'm saying I'd be gutted if ISO UK isn't added (either in base or another kit)
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 June 2019, 05:51:42 by eskimojo14 »

Offline fleeceman

« Reply #362 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 05:48:28 »
FYI, Oblivion v2 doesn't support ISO-UK either, unless you purchase the $85 international kit.

The base kit doesn't have full ISO-UK support.

Yes I know and I'm happy to buy that extra premium to have correct legends on all my keys. Dracula has everything needed for UK ISO except the 2, 3, and '@. 3 additional keys will have a negligible impact on price so I'm not sure why it is not included.

Offline pikku-allu

• IG: @kinnalek
« Reply #363 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 06:01:21 »
After so much discussion, let me clarify some things:

• R3 PgUp & R4 PgDn will be added to the Core Module.
  • a 40's/ortho Module is definitely being added
  • a NorDeUK Module will very likely be offered
  • I'd love to offer a Colevrak Module as well, but that is not certain yet. Options are still being considered though.

More details and the new kits coming soon.

Happy Midsummer!
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 June 2019, 07:02:44 by pikku-allu »

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #364 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 06:13:27 »

Offline lewisflude

• Hand Engineering
    • Hand Engineering
« Reply #365 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 06:17:34 »

• I'd love to offer a Colevrak Module as well, but that is not certain yet. Options are still being considered though.

Really appreciate the update!  :thumb:

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #366 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 06:28:37 »

Great news, thanks for the update  :D

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #367 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 07:24:55 »
*crossing fingers, arms, legs, toes for a Colevrak module*

Offline chakkii

« Reply #368 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 07:35:05 »

Happy Midsummer!

NORDE OOOOOF  ;D :thumb:

Offline ZG2047

« Reply #369 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 08:46:51 »
Would be nice if there was an enter key in the error module

Offline Yeoh

« Reply #370 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 12:03:03 »
Dracula has everything needed for UK ISO except the 2, 3, and '@. 3 additional keys will have a negligible impact on price so I'm not sure why it is not included.

Because we are already subsidizing multiple extra keys for a negligible amount of users in the base kit, and most are sick of it to be quite honest. How many iso enter keys are out there already, never to be used. Its a waste of plastic, and unfair to put that burden on the majority for the benefit of a minute few.

a 40's/ortho Module is definitely being added
a NorDeUK Module will very likely be offered
I'd love to offer a Colevrak Module as well, but that is not certain yet. Options are still being considered though.

Thats good news, its nice to offer compatibility, especially to those who are willing to pay for it.

Any chance moving all ISO from the base to the NorDeUK module, if it becomes a reality?

Offline Jetstream

« Reply #371 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 13:22:20 »
Ya, I agree with the above comment moving ISO to the norde kit. it would also help because you cam add full UK ISO and it will help move that kit along cause more people would be interested in buying it

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #372 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 13:48:43 »
Meanwhile oblivion has 66 international kits sold btw

Offline Meursault

« Reply #373 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 14:00:03 »
Are we about to degenerate into one of those "keep the things I like and remove things I don't" threads?

Personally I'd love it if the missing ISO UK keys were added to the base kit as it would make Dracula an absolute no-brainer. I'm still leaning heavily towards joining the GB for a base kit even if it only includes some of the ISO UK keys but if they were all thrown into a separate expensive kit; the vast majority of which I don't need, it'd probably be a no. I imagine a lot of UK users would do the same.

Does that mean pikku has to include the keys I want...no. But this is an interest check thread and I'm expressing my interest on that basis.

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #374 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 16:24:22 »
Where did we land on removing Numpad? The Café numpad/ISO kit makes a lot of sense to me. Seems to drop base kits somewhere in the 25-30$ range which is fairly substantial drop.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #375 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 16:41:09 »
Might need the numpad, rather have that in the base kit. I'm not against removing a numpad and pairing it with some other keys, but hate it when the -combined price- of the two seperate kits is $30 more than the original price for a single larger kit... :(

Offline Yeoh

« Reply #376 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 22:21:33 »
Are we about to degenerate into one of those "keep the things I like and remove things I don't" threads?

Nope, just a "keep the things the vast majority use, and move the things only the select few do to their respective kit(s)" thread.

If you arent willing to pay a little extra to fill a non-standard layout, get used to not always getting the keys you want/need in the base kit.

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #377 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 23:26:43 »

Nope, just a "keep the things the vast majority use, and move the things only the select few do to their respective kit(s)" thread.

If you arent willing to pay a little extra to fill a non-standard layout, get used to not always getting the keys you want/need in the base kit.

How do you define "the vast majority" and "the select few"?  What are non-standard layouts?

If meeting MoQ is at risk, optimizing a little perhaps make sense.

With high interest level for this set, do you really need to push let me just look out for myself split?

Offline diorite

« Reply #378 on: Sat, 22 June 2019, 05:51:06 »

Personally I'd love it if the missing ISO UK keys were added to the base kit as it would make Dracula an absolute no-brainer. I'm still leaning heavily towards joining the GB for a base kit even if it only includes some of the ISO UK keys but if they were all thrown into a separate expensive kit; the vast majority of which I don't need, it'd probably be a no. I imagine a lot of UK users would do the same.

Does that mean pikku has to include the keys I want...no. But this is an interest check thread and I'm expressing my interest on that basis.

You don't want to buy the kit because you don't want to pay for a bunch of keys you don't need? Sounds familiar, because the majority of users don't want to pay for your keys, either. Why should 500+ people have to pay for uk iso kits because you don't want to buy a kit that includes the keys that you want?

The reality is that if uk iso was made it's own kit, it would not hit MOQ, so someone has to carry you. I don't think it's fair to ask that it be the entirety of the group buy that subsidizes the existence of your kit. It should be done as a NorDeUK kit, that way the international community can fund their own keys together, or you can tack basic iso support onto the numpad kit, and the number pad users can fund your needs. To be really honest, I don't even think it's totally fair to make numpad users pay for your needs either, but it's more fair than having 500+ people pay for the needs of 10-20 users.

I'm not actually suggesting making uk iso it's own kit, I get that some people want specialized keys that most don't, and need help hitting MOQ. I just think it's really lame of you to expect the entire group buy to help pay for you instead of having other niche users help bolster each other's specialized keys. Like you'd rather leave NorDe out in the rain if you can push your way into the base kit. So instead of helping other members of the international community reach MOQ for their niche keys too, you'd like the entire ansi community to help you reach MOQ and lower your overall cost. Meanwhile, NorDe users don't even get their keys. I feel like you don't even see the irony/hypocrisy.

Offline Meursault

« Reply #379 on: Sat, 22 June 2019, 06:06:33 »
I'll take that as a yes

Offline nguyenhimself

[IC] GMK Dracula — Coming out in Q4 2019!
« Reply #380 on: Sat, 22 June 2019, 08:15:32 »
God help this thread, the ISO mob has arrived to kick name and take ass.
I still have PTSD from PBT Sanctuary’s IC where an ISO dude tried to gaslight everyone by claiming there are only 3 countries in the world which use ANSI.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 June 2019, 08:22:54 by nguyenhimself »

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #381 on: Sat, 22 June 2019, 08:41:10 »
God help this thread, the ISO mob has arrived to kick name and take ass.
I still have PTSD from PBT Sanctuary’s IC where an ISO dude tried to gaslight everyone by claiming there are only 3 countries in the world which use ANSI.
we a mob now boissss

apparently

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #382 on: Sat, 22 June 2019, 08:56:06 »

You realize you made the same fallacy you described in the first sentence, right?

Why are you against having basic, neutral ISO compatibility in the base kit?

Your ISO boards will be perfectly usable with just these four keys, and the rest (i.e. majority) of us who don't use ISO-UK won't be forced to pay extra for 5 more keys in every base kit. I think this solution is a great compromise. If you want to have matching legends for your international layout, purchase the international kit; the runner did say he would most likely be offering one. I don't think ISO-UK should be given priority over, say, ISO-DE, or any other popular ISO layout.

I agree with diorite on most of the other points he made.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 June 2019, 10:13:22 by constexpr »

Offline derPuntigamer

• NorDe is nonnegotiable
« Reply #383 on: Sat, 22 June 2019, 11:48:42 »

It is very likely that I will buy it if it gets offered!

Offline LXVRGS

« Reply #384 on: Sat, 22 June 2019, 12:51:03 »
Ah **** here we go again

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #385 on: Sat, 22 June 2019, 14:32:23 »

You realize you made the same fallacy you described in the first sentence, right?

Show Image

Your ISO boards will be perfectly usable with just these four keys, and the rest (i.e. majority) of us who don't use ISO-UK won't be forced to pay extra for 5 more keys in every base kit. I think this solution is a great compromise. If you want to have matching legends for your international layout, purchase the international kit; the runner did say he would most likely be offering one. I don't think ISO-UK should be given priority over, say, ISO-DE, or any other popular ISO layout.

+1, and the same is true for 40% and ortho support. Ortho users literally need 0 extra support in the base kit, because there are always extra 1u keys. Meanwhile 40% users need at most 5 keys, if you're feeling generous you can give them 3, and even 1 key is enough to keep most users happy. On a nonstandard layout, getting the right legends is a luxury IMO.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #386 on: Sat, 22 June 2019, 15:03:56 »

Show Image

+1, and the same is true for 40% and ortho support. Ortho users literally need 0 extra support in the base kit, because there are always extra 1u keys. Meanwhile 40% users need at most 5 keys, if you're feeling generous you can give them 3, and even 1 key is enough to keep most users happy. On a nonstandard layout, getting the right legends is a luxury IMO.

+1 Agreed. It's a good compromise I think towards basic compatibility so more can join, but not bogging down the base kit. If you want specific legends, get you and some friends together to support that :)
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline lewisflude

• Hand Engineering
    • Hand Engineering
« Reply #387 on: Sun, 23 June 2019, 05:37:51 »

Show Image

I'm a huge advocate for adding ISO support (and even UK ISO support) to base kits so that we can reach parity with ANSI and I agree with you totally. I think it is a good compromise, and I think this is right amount of compatibility I'd expect a base kit to include.

I'll be buying the base and NorDeUK Module and will probably sell on the keys I don't need to people from other countries who also want correct legends.

I think enough ISO support to be compatible with ISO boards is totally fine, and a set won't be "totally unusable" if my 3/£ key isn't in the proper place.

I think in cases where there isn't an international kit offered, it probably makes sense to roll UK ISO into either base or numpad kid as this is usually a good second best for all ISO users. This topic is much larger than this IC though, and so if anyone wants to go into more detail on the current contentious issues around "should kits support ISO" I'd encourage them to keep it out of here and instead chime into the thread that was made about it: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=101263.0.

As it stands I think ISO support is being handled really well in this IC by way of ISO in base kit and separate NorDeUK kit (likely).

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #388 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 02:54:44 »
So completely NON-ISO related question :D

Will you be getting samples for this?

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #389 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 03:19:58 »
*still crossing fingers, arms, legs, toes for a Colevrak module*

Offline Possumx

« Reply #390 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 11:53:15 »
Very interested in this. Would also dig a NorDeUK-Kit. :)

Offline Magnificent Bureaucrat

• Sooooo much red tape
« Reply #391 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 16:41:20 »
Really looking forward to sticking this set on my latest build. What's the usual turnaround between a GB and the goods actually hitting doorsteps? Q4 feels so far away.

Offline chakkii

« Reply #392 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 19:08:55 »
Really looking forward to sticking this set on my latest build. What's the usual turnaround between a GB and the goods actually hitting doorsteps? Q4 feels so far away.

well its even longer I guess :P It seems like on the opening post it says GB will be in Q4 so it will take a couple months from there. So probably Spring 2020 :P I could be wrong...hopefully :D

Offline Magnificent Bureaucrat

• Sooooo much red tape
« Reply #393 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 19:34:20 »
Well at least that gives me plenty of time to come up with a good way to justify the cost to my other half. (She doesn't need to know about the artisan)

Offline forstsiven

« Reply #394 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 12:32:38 »
If it's been addressed already, my apologies.

Is there any possibility of having a spacebar kit that matches the Highlight module?

Offline PoochZag

« Reply #395 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 12:33:01 »

I'd say about 6 months from GB close to shipping is about typical these days for a GMK group buy, especially if custom colors are involved
TX-CP, TX60, Campine Mk. III, Mira SE

Offline Yeoh

« Reply #396 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 17:57:29 »

Just curious if that stepped ERR! capslock key goint to be in the ERR kit?

Offline pikku-allu

• IG: @kinnalek
« Reply #397 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 18:39:27 »

Yes! ;)

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #398 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 19:17:16 »

Yes! ;)

standard caps lock as well?

Offline blakstealth

« Reply #399 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 21:19:56 »
This set is a banger.