Author Topic: [IC] Zambumon Sar: Compact 1800 Keyboard  (Read 104360 times)

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
Re: [IC] Zambumon Sar: Compact 1800 Keyboard
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 23:34:36 »
Great layout.

255108-0
I noticed most base sets don’t include a ‘=‘ key like in the numpad renders. What key do folks plan to put?

Offline GSPADE

• THOK® thok.design
    • THOK®
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 23:53:30 »
Very nice

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 23:59:38 »
Great layout.

(Attachment Link)
I noticed most base sets don’t include a ‘=‘ key like in the numpad renders. What key do folks plan to put?
Maybe a delete key could do

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 09:49:36 »
Great layout.

(Attachment Link)

asterisk
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 10:08:02 »
Really respect the unlimited gb, I assume more units will mean a lower price but with the features this has I bet it'll still be a buck or two. Is the plate two parts? I noticed screws on the top side of the plate and was wondering if it was a two part plate? Or is it just a single thick plate with cut outs where the switch latches would be one a 1.5mm plate. Finally, I'm wondering if the led indicators will be addressable? I'd like to program one of them to flash at every keypress.

The plate is one part. The fixtures are used to secure the PCB when there are no switches attached to it.

Yes, they are addressable.

sadge 1u zero

This is literally the one thing that any 1800 keyboard has so the arrows can fit between the alphas and numpad.

It wouldn't be a dealbreaker normally but that numpad layout is really upsetting.

Almost all (if not all) GMK keysets have support for split R2 1U minus and R3 1U plus. If you have an OG 1800, you'll be able to use their keycaps on this board, and that's precisely what I wanted. It would be upsetting if you had 1800 keycaps and couldn't use them with this board.

Offline gilbert

« Reply #105 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 11:10:17 »
No iso avail?
Collection: F1.69, G80-5K, Bliss TKL, Ecliptica, Cypher, Safa S588, Southpaw Fullsize, HHKB Pro2, Zenith G80-1192HAD

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #106 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 11:53:06 »
No iso avail?

No.

Q: Is the layout fixed?
A: Yes. ANSI, stepped caps lock, 1.50, 1.50, 7U, 1.50, 1.50, and split plus.

Offline Crack85

« Reply #107 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 12:32:37 »
In.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline iindigo

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 12:52:59 »
This looks great, one of the best executed full-size-ish boards I've seen. Depending on a couple factors there's a very good chance I'll grab one.

Can anybody with experience with thick poly plates provide insight into the resulting flex and sound profile? Intuitively I'd expect it to be something like a more muted standard thickness alu plate but I have no idea what to expect.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 13:34:03 »
I love Zamb and I love the Sar
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline meowscanttype

• 65 is bad
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 13:58:55 »
very nice rectangle poopoomon  :thumb:

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #111 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 14:24:36 »
Might be a weird question, but what is the color of the pcb? Is it the light blue shown?

Offline iaman

« Reply #112 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 15:33:25 »
Zambumon you absolute genius a hotswap 1800 (that isn't low-pro 👀) is exactly what I've been wanting

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 15:58:38 »
Might be a weird question, but what is the color of the pcb? Is it the light blue shown?

Yes, but kindly note that the images are of 3D renders and are for illustration purposes only. The final colors may differ slightly.

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 16:10:47 »

Yes, but kindly note that the images are of 3D renders and are for illustration purposes only. The final colors may differ slightly.

Yeh I understand that :)

Offline uzitaco

« Reply #115 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 21:26:36 »
This may be a dumb question but is there a way to add a backlight to the PCB?

I'll be using this for work and when I work late it's nice to have a backlight.

Offline SenseiJia

• Hey you.
« Reply #116 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 22:33:21 »
Niiiice one Zamboni

Offline noodleman

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 23:37:11 »
This may be a dumb question but is there a way to add a backlight to the PCB?

I'll be using this for work and when I work late it's nice to have a backlight.

doubt it.  the pcb doesn't look to have per key lighting and there's no way to have underglow in this case.

Offline niakulah

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 03:16:47 »
Really respect the unlimited gb, I assume more units will mean a lower price but with the features this has I bet it'll still be a buck or two. Is the plate two parts? I noticed screws on the top side of the plate and was wondering if it was a two part plate? Or is it just a single thick plate with cut outs where the switch latches would be one a 1.5mm plate. Finally, I'm wondering if the led indicators will be addressable? I'd like to program one of them to flash at every keypress.

The plate is one part. The fixtures are used to secure the PCB when there are no switches attached to it.

Now you have me curious. I too assumed it was 2 parts.

How then do the switches stay in place? They can't clip into the plate, and they aren't soldered onto the PCB.

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #119 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 03:49:10 »

How then do the switches stay in place? They can't clip into the plate, and they aren't soldered onto the PCB.

They clip into the plate. The switch cutouts have a recess on the underside so the plate is 1.5mm thick where the switch clips into the plate.

There are M2 screws on either side of a threaded spacer to attach the PCB to the plate, the same method I used on Ramaworks U80-A, M65-B, KARA, Zambumon Jules, ION Zenith and wilba.tech Thermal. This ensures the PCB and plate remain parallel during installation of switches. The bonus benefit is the ability to change switches without disassembling the case.

Offline niakulah

« Reply #120 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 04:27:41 »

They clip into the plate. The switch cutouts have a recess on the underside so the plate is 1.5mm thick where the switch clips into the plate.

There are M2 screws on either side of a threaded spacer to attach the PCB to the plate, the same method I used on Ramaworks U80-A, M65-B, KARA, Zambumon Jules, ION Zenith and wilba.tech Thermal. This ensures the PCB and plate remain parallel during installation of switches. The bonus benefit is the ability to change switches without disassembling the case.

Wow! Thanks for the taking the time to explain. Sounds complicated to make. Worth it though to get that thick plate AND hotswap.

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #121 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 04:29:08 »
nice typing angle!

Offline danieljgrouse

« Reply #122 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 06:24:57 »
The bonus benefit is the ability to change switches without disassembling the case.

I have a bad experience doing that. I'd definitely recommend always supporting the sockets from bellow when inserting new switches, otherwise you might tear the socket off and it will take the pad with it. It's incredibly annoying to fix (I kinda wish Kailh had designed the sockets in a way that the PCB would physically support them rather then them being held on with just solder).

Offline UGunaLOSE

« Reply #123 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 09:46:20 »
Didn't know I needed a 1800 until now :eek:

Offline halfbasic

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 14:30:25 »
This is right up my alley.

Offline KeebJimmy

« Reply #125 on: Sun, 08 November 2020, 06:55:54 »
Very excited!!!

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #126 on: Sun, 08 November 2020, 13:05:18 »
This looks great, one of the best executed full-size-ish boards I've seen. Depending on a couple factors there's a very good chance I'll grab one.

Can anybody with experience with thick poly plates provide insight into the resulting flex and sound profile? Intuitively I'd expect it to be something like a more muted standard thickness alu plate but I have no idea what to expect.

Not so long ago, Manofinterests uploaded a typing test of his Noxary 280s with a 5mm polycarbonate plate and this is how he described its feel:

5mm polycarb, nice and stiff feeling, a full-bodied feeling and sound

Offline iindigo

« Reply #127 on: Sun, 08 November 2020, 13:44:50 »
Thanks, appreciate the response and video link! Looking forward to this.

Offline Misaka32

« Reply #128 on: Sun, 08 November 2020, 17:48:22 »
This is the endgame of 1800 layout for me.

Offline ButDutWut

« Reply #129 on: Sun, 08 November 2020, 18:31:17 »
Cyan PCB looking nice.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #130 on: Sun, 08 November 2020, 20:45:07 »
Cyan PCB looking nice.

It looks even better in real life  :D

Offline The Equals D

« Reply #131 on: Sun, 08 November 2020, 21:10:08 »
Unlimited you say 0.0. Well **** looks like im getting another board, big fan of this thing. TY for keeping the front height within reason

Offline bball2

« Reply #132 on: Sun, 08 November 2020, 21:43:01 »
Man that blue board looks soooo good with GMK striker!! I think I'm going to have to pay the mechmarket tax to cop a set to go with this board! :-O

Offline wynects

« Reply #133 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 09:24:33 »
This layout is just perfect as a daily use keyboard for a software developer. I'm in! :thumb:

Offline JbstormburstADV

« Reply #134 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 12:52:39 »
I'm very tempted by this, even though I already bought into the Hex.6C, but WKL is not exactly ideal for someone working in a Windows shop.  To satisfy my lack of knowledge here, do WKLs usually have a Winkey hot-combo, or is that functionality nixed entirely?

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #135 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 13:06:21 »
I'm very tempted by this, even though I already bought into the Hex.6C, but WKL is not exactly ideal for someone working in a Windows shop.  To satisfy my lack of knowledge here, do WKLs usually have a Winkey hot-combo, or is that functionality nixed entirely?

The WT90-A PCB that Sar uses is fully programmable and you can map the Windows key anywhere you want. A popular option is mapping the winkey to the right Alt or right Control.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 13:58:30 »
Great layout.

(Attachment Link)

You'll probably need an 1800 kit to fill the keys above with correctly profiled caps and that will include an = if it's not in the numberpad so you just have to buy a set with one.  Personally I prefer having - where it is on a standard board (so it doesn't mess with muscle memory) so I have - = + keys with - - + caps going down that side.  Doesn't look bad though I would prefer correct legends (tradition dictates this will never happen)

ISO and split backspace would have made this very tempting - my wallet is thankful it isn't :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #137 on: Wed, 11 November 2020, 15:33:39 »
Ideally I’d get a solid silver colored case if only for my paranoia surrounding colored anodization but a blue bottom breaks no deals for me. I had a Verne for some time and really like the look of this, the gasket should provide a nice improvement.

One thing with the Verne was I’d notice a tendency to tilt back if I hit “Esc” or a function key on occasion, I’m not sure if anyone else noticed this or if I’m a power-escaper but just out of curiosity was that issue addressed through purposeful/inherent design?

Offline Samael82

« Reply #138 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 07:59:11 »
Amazing! Always loved the 1800s form factor but never saw a masterpiece like that!
Hope progress goes well and we soon have the chance to see/hear it!
I assume we Europeans will be able to buy from an EU ventor,right?

Sick of the "thiefs" in customs clearance asking for 130+ euros to process imports from the US...

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #139 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 10:20:32 »
I assume we Europeans will be able to buy from an EU vendor, right?

Yes. After all, Sar is made by Salvun in Belgium.

Offline jimmyxtlee

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 11:07:57 »
This can't come quick enough, so many 65/75/80%'s but finding an 1800 has been difficult! Absolutely sold, its perfect.

Offline Jesus

« Reply #141 on: Sat, 14 November 2020, 18:51:42 »
Holy Sh*t this board is hot, I always have loved 1800's and this gives me a great reason to get another one

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #142 on: Sat, 14 November 2020, 20:02:34 »
Really curious how the thick plate & gasket mount will play together? I know with a plate that thick flex is out of the picture, but I'm assuming it'll really help with sound. Which will probably be wildly different between the PC & brass plates. Awesome work Zamb, really looking forward to this hopefully being my first custom 1800!

Offline TskTskTsk

« Reply #143 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 21:00:31 »
hella in for this.

Offline geonworks

• GEONWORKS
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 03:26:39 »
예약.

Offline ptiede

« Reply #145 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 18:23:49 »
Love this board! Is there any chance for a Canadian vendor?

Offline whykayallday

« Reply #146 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 13:01:48 »
1u minus. As it should be  :cool:

Offline Jonnyswboy

« Reply #147 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 08:40:18 »
Literally getting into custom keyboards because of this project. Surprising to me that there are little to no other 1800s with quality like this (especially the thick plate).

Offline FilthyMike720

« Reply #148 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 12:21:09 »
Yes please, I love this layout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Domantas

« Reply #149 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 12:30:40 »
This is what I want from 1800 compact keyboard. Hype